PDA

View Full Version : Strange thing I've been experiencing with ping

UndeadJudge
05-03-2014, 02:57 PM
Ok so I was running kt4 solo a few minutes ago. I was running on 3G so I was bracing myself for some lag, but before I enter tomb my ping is a stable 200. However, right when I aggro'ed the first mob, my ping jumps to 7000 (too laggy for me to even pot before I die). I respawn, check my ping and it's 200 again.. So does fighting mobs affect ping rather than just being in a town?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doobiez
05-03-2014, 03:47 PM
Exact thing happenes too me more enemies more lag

UndeadJudge
05-03-2014, 04:00 PM
Exact thing happenes too me more enemies more lag

Generally I thought it only affected framerate, but didn't know it actually caused lag until now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iliketolol
05-03-2014, 04:03 PM
Same thing happened to me today on elite

Madnex
05-03-2014, 05:35 PM
Of course. Fighting enemies increases the traffic between server and client (player) so yes, it's bound for you to get more latency. The larger the mob/number of enemies, the larger the data sent and received, the larger the response time (ping).

H2N
05-03-2014, 07:19 PM
Frame rate can affect the displayed ping value. The client's highest priority is to render the game. After it's done rendering the game, it checks for ping packet and calculates ping value. So if the ping packet has already arrived, but the client is still rendering the game, when the client goes to retrieve the ping packet, it will not know that the ping packet has been sitting there for a while. All it can do is (incorrectly) assume that the ping packet had just arrived, and calculate the ping value based on that.

So if the frame rate isn't nice and smooth, it's fair to assume that the displayed ping value may not be accurate.

Crowsfoot
05-04-2014, 12:55 AM
Frame rate can affect the displayed ping value. The client's highest priority is to render the game. After it's done rendering the game, it checks for ping packet and calculates ping value. So if the ping packet has already arrived, but the client is still rendering the game, when the client goes to retrieve the ping packet, it will not know that the ping packet has been sitting there for a while. All it can do is (incorrectly) assume that the ping packet had just arrived, and calculate the ping value based on that.

So if the frame rate isn't nice and smooth, it's fair to assume that the displayed ping value may not be accurate.
One thing to note. In elite, if the run takes more than 10min I start to lag. However, if I die or reenter the map (teleport to the beginning), poof, my lag disappears for another 10 or so minutes. Same goes for PvP.

Is it because my device may or may not be slightly modified which has resulted in some bizarre glitch or is this something everyone faces?