PDA

View Full Version : Probably a dumb question on determing damage

Aerospacegod
05-07-2010, 10:52 PM
How do you determine how much dps a new item will give you if you know the stats but dont actually have one? (eliminating when it adds just enough other stats to bump you to the next level)

There's a range say 35-45, and a speed, but whats the formula? Are we assuming it does 35, 36, 37, etc all just as often? Thought I had it but it didnt work out on a few items.

Thanks!

PS That mage pin is INSANE x__x (me want!)

Aerospacegod
05-12-2010, 10:12 AM
bump 5 days no answer, either nobody knows or doesnt want to be helpful :(

Jaxan
05-12-2010, 10:33 AM
There is a dmg/dps modifier attached to your stats in str/dex (exact figures might be posted elsewhere), that may be why you have a hard time calculate dps by just looking at a weapons stat without equiping.

For your purpose, I assume, you just want to find the most effective DPS weapon. So regardless of what your current stats are, you can compare weapons to other weapons by using the following formula:

((Max Dmg - Min Dmg)/2 + Min Dmg)/Speed

So for example, say you have a weapon that is: 35-45 Dmg with 2 Speed

((45-35)/2 + 35)/2 = 20 DPS

Might look confusing so I will spell out the steps:

45 minus 35 = 10 (damage difference)
10 divided by 2 = 5 (half of the damage difference)
35 plus 5 = 40 (average damage per attack)
40 divided by 2 = 20 (damage per second)

Again, that 20 DPS would be the base damage, and depending on allocation of stats, you will have a higher DPS than this.

Hopefully that helps, if I am wrong in my thinking here, feel free to correct me. :)

Aerospacegod
05-12-2010, 10:50 AM
Mostly wanting to find out if a new weapon gives more damage than my current weapon since they can change rather frequently. I will give this a shot, thanks

WarMage
05-12-2010, 12:16 PM
So then where does the dmg increase from strength factor in?

For examples: Frost hatchet of the bear

(85-72) = 13/2= 6.5
6.5+72= 78.5
78.5/1.6 = 49.062

My avatar screen shows 60 DPS.
Where do we make up the other 11ish DPS? Crits? Str? Hit? How does that factor in?

Jaxan
05-12-2010, 12:45 PM
Mostly wanting to find out if a new weapon gives more damage than my current weapon since they can change rather frequently. I will give this a shot, thanks

Just use this formula and compare the base DPS of the weapon, and you should be able to determine which weapon will give you the highest DPS, regardless of your stat allocation. Take into consideration though other modifiers that can impact "DPS" such as Hit% or Crit%. Those are not calculated into the DPS shown in your avatar, so your true "DPS" will be higher based on those numbers as well.

Something else to keep in mind, from what I read on forums (so I could be wrong here), is that the base damage impacts your abilities too. So the higher base damage weapon you have, the more damage those abilities will do. I have not tested this out to verify though.

Jaxan
05-12-2010, 12:50 PM
So then where does the dmg increase from strength factor in?

For examples: Frost hatchet of the bear

(85-72) = 13/2= 6.5
6.5+72= 78.5
78.5/1.6 = 49.062

My avatar screen shows 60 DPS.
Where do we make up the other 11ish DPS? Crits? Str? Hit? How does that factor in?

As I stated above, I do not believe Hit% and Crit% are calculated into your DPS as shown in your Avatar. Stats however do impact DPS. Look at the link below which is a great breakdown using INT, it's the same basic concept with STR and DEX.

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?645-EXPLAINED-Intelligence-vs-Stats-Increase-(with-GRAPHS)