PDA

View Full Version : Level 26 Kraken Skewer of Brutality vs. Level 26 Firesquid Rod of Assault

Energizeric
05-05-2014, 11:13 PM
Both have 2 regular Glacial gems for a total of +6 INT.

In the picture I have the Firesquid equipped, and the +/- differences in the left panel show what would change with the Kraken Skewer equipped instead.

A few notes & thoughts:

1) Damage for both weapons is almost identical.

2) DPS for the Firesquid is much higher as the Firesquid is the faster weapon.

3) Proc for Kraken Skewer is MUCH better than for Firesquid. I believe the reduction in enemy armor & damage is automatic, while the +INT proc is occasional. The proc adds +15 INT which itself gives a nice damage & health boost. That added to the armor reduction results in the Kraken Skewer dealing more damage than the Firesquid when using your attack skills.

4) If you frequently find yourself using the regular weapon attack button more than two times in a row, then you can assume that the Firesquid will attack 3 times in the time period that the Kraken Skewer attacks 2 times, so therefore the Firesquid would allow an extra attack and this should more than make up for the slightly lower skill damage. However, if you find yourself never needing to use the regular attack that many times in a row and instead use it only once or twice before returning to your attack skills (after they have cooled down), then the extra speed (and DPS) of the Firesquid will go wasted.

5) The extra 16 STR given by the Kraken Skewer not only gives you more health, but also makes your arcane shield much stronger. The formula for how much damage the shield can absorb is [INT + (2 x STR)] x 3.5. So an extra 16 STR will cause your shield to protect you from 112 more damage. That together with the extra 80 health (shown in the pic below) means your defense will be boosted by 192 health (assuming you use arcane shield and have the proper upgrades).

Based on all these factors, it is my opinion that the Kraken Skewer is the superior weapon for PvP.

(BTW, JayB did some testing back in season 3 and concluded the same thing)

I have both of these weapons and they are both for sale. The firesquid is somewhat rare, but the Kraken Skewer is super rare and as confirmed by H2N, it is one of only 4 that exist in the game....

Mucsi
05-06-2014, 12:39 PM
ehm... what is your point? wanna sell ur skewer? take it to auction for millions... someone will buy (sarcasm). Anyways try the firesquid and skewer in pvp.. 460dps (in lvl26) better than 370 or 390 dps... + I didnt noticed any dmg changes in those weapons..
Proc is good? Oh kk.. One word: curse.

drgrimmy
05-06-2014, 01:07 PM
Sorry, it is a very nice and rare collectors item (if someone could actually see the level of an item you are wearing), but if you want a good damage weapon, just get the cheap expedition rifle of brutality. I have the lvl26 Firesquid equipped and you can see how much better the rifle will be than both the Firesquid and the Kraken Skewer in the damage department, also with a pretty decent health boost (although arguably a little less than the skewer):

If you want a dps weapon, then get the firesquid. I don't really see any place for the Skewer from a game play perspective other than a collectors item....

Hectororius
05-06-2014, 01:08 PM
best sales thread ever!

Energizeric
05-06-2014, 01:18 PM
Guys, a few people were interested in buying the skewer, but they wanted to see how it compares to the Firesquid, so this thread was to show them. This itself was not the sales thread.

As for the comparison to firesquid and the rifle, unfortunately stat screens do not show the effect of procs. A weapon proc is not so different than a pet's arcane ability. If stats were all that mattered, Singe would be the best pet by far. I don't know the armor and damage reduction of the skewer's proc, but they were sizable enough that when JayB tested both staffs, there was a noticeable difference between them, even though the stat screen shows very similar damage. The armor reduction probably closes the gap between the expedition rifle and the kraken skewer, and then it comes down to what you prefer, a rifle or a staff. That is also not taking into consideration what the damage reduction proc does which has some defensive value.

All I know is that I had the skewer and an oracle rifle during season 3. The oracle actually had slightly higher damage, but in elite kraken zones, I could cause significantly more damage with the skewer than I could with the oracle.

My personal opinion is that for pvp, a rifle is best for 1-on-1 battles, and a staff is better for group clashes.

Mucsi
05-06-2014, 01:32 PM
In group clashes curse is op. Are you never play in pvp?

Energizeric
05-06-2014, 03:09 PM

Forgive my ignorance, but what does this have to do with the discussion in this thread? Last I checked, the weapon you have equipped has little or nothing to do with the effects of curse.

Wutzgood
05-06-2014, 05:30 PM
I've always wanted to get a use for my kraken skewers but unfortunately they are vanity weapons. They are outclassed by so many other weapons. The proc isn't permanent for enemies but will go off occasionally and you will see little curse clouds over the enemies heads when it happens.

As a Mage gear collector the skewer was one of the first big purchases (paid 500k for my first level 30 because of it's looks), but the colors remained the same throughout all levels so no one will know you have a 1/4 level 26 because it looks exactly the same as level 30 and 35 versions.

It was an excellent sales pitch and it's nice to know you have a weapon that's 1/4 in the game but, there isn't much value for it because of the same looks and it not being a useful weapon to begin with.

Your Best bet is to just keep it as a trophy for yourself. It's like on pawn stars where the sentimental value is worth more than an objects actual value.

UndeadJudge
05-06-2014, 06:48 PM

Curse is not op, most mages at 27 think they can kill rogues by placing curse and running behind tanks expecting to get a kill. This works only on inexperienced rogues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Morholt
05-06-2014, 06:50 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but what does this have to do with the discussion in this thread? Last I checked, the weapon you have equipped has little or nothing to do with the effects of curse.I think he's saying the damage reduction proc makes curse less useful, as enemies won't hurt themselves as badly (as you can notice when you spec the skill point to curse for less damage dealt by affected enemies).

Also...neat to know that I have a semi rare 1/45 lvl 35 Kraken Skewer of Brutality. :)

Energizeric
05-06-2014, 08:25 PM
Also...neat to know that I have a semi rare 1/45 lvl 35 Kraken Skewer of Brutality. :)

I'm sure there are many more of them by now. Level 35 is what drops now, and elite skull cove took Haligali and myself (2 mages) less than 4 minutes to finish a couple of weeks ago. The reason the level 25/26 versions are so rare is that skull cove used to take an hour if you could even finish at all, and only a very good party of 4 very pro players could manage to finish it during season 3.

Energizeric
05-06-2014, 08:29 PM
I've always wanted to get a use for my kraken skewers but unfortunately they are vanity weapons. They are outclassed by so many other weapons. The proc isn't permanent for enemies but will go off occasionally and you will see little curse clouds over the enemies heads when it happens.

As a Mage gear collector the skewer was one of the first big purchases (paid 500k for my first level 30 because of it's looks), but the colors remained the same throughout all levels so no one will know you have a 1/4 level 26 because it looks exactly the same as level 30 and 35 versions.

It was an excellent sales pitch and it's nice to know you have a weapon that's 1/4 in the game but, there isn't much value for it because of the same looks and it not being a useful weapon to begin with.

Your Best bet is to just keep it as a trophy for yourself. It's like on pawn stars where the sentimental value is worth more than an objects actual value.

If nobody makes a good enough offer on it then that's what I will do :)

I never intended to sell it, but when H2N told me just how rare it is, I decided to see if some collector wanted to buy it. However, do keep in mind that at level 30/31 you had the runic gun and the nordr jewel, both of which are better than the skewer. But at level 26, those weapons did not exist. So all you had was the oracle gun and the firesquid, and between those 3 weapons the kraken skewer was the best.

Now people are telling me the expedition rifle could be better. I suppose that is possible, but all comes down to what you prefer, a rifle or a staff. This season I see some folks using the magma totem of brutality, which cost 500k+ instead of the expedition rifle which costs 2k and has higher damage. So apparently many players prefer staffs, perhaps due to the better procs that they have, and they are willing to pay much more for a good one. I guess we will see if the same holds true for this staff.

Morholt
05-06-2014, 09:49 PM
I'm sure there are many more of them by now. Level 35 is what drops now, and elite skull cove took Haligali and myself (2 mages) less than 4 minutes to finish a couple of weeks ago. The reason the level 25/26 versions are so rare is that skull cove used to take an hour if you could even finish at all, and only a very good party of 4 very pro players could manage to finish it during season 3.Very aware of the insanity that was Skull Cove in season 3. ^.^
Forgot that the skewer can drop from the map at 35 still--was thinking of it as a Bael/Krunch drop only nowadays, and lvl 40 ones would be popping up. Oh well, not like many people actually run Skull Cove, since Harbor and SS are much quicker for chests, so the number of them shouldn't be all that high still.

Kudos on the current record, by the way. I noticed it a while ago. :)

Mucsi
05-07-2014, 12:50 AM
Curse is not op, most mages at 27 think they can kill rogues by placing curse and running behind tanks expecting to get a kill. This works only on inexperienced rogues.

Read before post... I wrote, It is op in GROUP clashes

Mucsi
05-07-2014, 01:01 AM
Now people are telling me the expedition rifle could be better. I suppose that is possible, but all comes down to what you prefer, a rifle or a staff. This season I see some folks using the magma totem of brutality, which cost 500k+ instead of the expedition rifle which costs 2k and has higher damage. So apparently many players prefer staffs, perhaps due to the better procs that they have, and they are willing to pay much more for a good one. I guess we will see if the same holds true for this staff.

Magmatic totem have better proc than skewer... Vacum is also nice in pvp, I got damage by totem.. I think this totem proc the most deadliest ever I saw.

UndeadJudge
05-07-2014, 09:51 AM
Read before post... I wrote, It is op in GROUP clashes

I'm well aware that is what you meant...