View Full Version : Pve mage - Arcane shield or Heal? my build: fire/ice/time/? don't know shield or heal

Guan Long
05-07-2014, 08:36 PM
can anyone provide me with guide? Pve mage.

Current build:

fire4/5
ice3/5
time3/5
heal2/5

any greater idea?

Ign: ivantglx

Instanthumor
05-07-2014, 08:44 PM
Fire 5/5
Gale 5/5 OR Ice 3/5 - with extra DoT and extra freeze duration upgrades
Timeshift 4/5 - without dodge and death
Lightning 3/5 - with extra dmg and extra dmg on critical hit upgrades

This is what I use for normal maps, and I use this kamikaze build sometimes for elites (for fun)

Don't use heal. I'd switch ice with ligtning if I were you. Then again, I'm no PvE expert.

jb57542
05-07-2014, 08:52 PM
For PVE I would do fire, ice, time and light. If you want to spec shield go for it and switch it out for light at bosses.

Ice is a great PVE skill when charged as it freezes and does group DOT.

Guan Long
05-07-2014, 09:11 PM
Fire 5/5
Gale 5/5

This is what I use for normal maps, and I use this kamikaze build sometimes for elites (for fun)

Don't use heal. I'd switch ice with ligtning if I were you. Then again, I'm no PvE expert.

wow.. you must have really good gear.. Do you go for Pvp more? thanks for the tips!

Guan Long
05-07-2014, 09:12 PM
For PVE I would do fire, ice, time and light. If you want to spec shield go for it and switch it out for light at bosses.

Ice is a great PVE skill when charged as it freezes and does group DOT.

That's what i'm thinking too.. but lighting add one only? Thanks for the Tips!

Candylicks
05-07-2014, 09:26 PM
4/5 Fire (no scorch)
4/5 Light (no shock)
4/5 ice (no shatter)
4/5 shield (no wave)
4/5 clock (no bomb)

5/5 crit, dex, int, and hp

In PvE elite maps on mobs I use fire, ice, shield, clock and for bosses I swap clock for light. Good luck and mage on. (:

OP What lvl are you? If you are still lvl'ing heal is actually OK just when you get to running elite maps respec heal for shield. Heal is useless in elite zones, but useful as you lvl to save on buying pots.

Guan Long
05-07-2014, 09:35 PM
4/5 Fire (no scorch)
4/5 Light (no shock)
4/5 ice (no shatter)
4/5 shield (no wave)
4/5 clock (no bomb)

5/5 crit, dex, int, and hp

In PvE elite maps on mobs I use fire, ice, shield, clock and for bosses I swap clock for light. Good luck and mage on. (:

OP What lvl are you? If you are still lvl'ing heal is actually OK just when you get to running elite maps respec heal for shield. Heal is useless in elite zones, but useful as you lvl to save on buying pots.

i'm lvl 19 only. Just started not long with mage. haha. for better survive i think i would go for shield? but warrior and rogue definitely keep saying us noob or lame lol

will0
05-07-2014, 09:45 PM
ignore them ... rogues have health packs.... warrior have horn to heal too

Guan Long
05-07-2014, 10:18 PM
Fire 5/5
Gale 5/5

is gale really that good now? saw forum alot of people using this..

jb57542
05-07-2014, 10:34 PM
is gale really that good now? saw forum alot of people using this..

No gale is still a sub-par skill. It can mess up groupings of enemies if used wrong (which I see most mages doing) and has long cool down.

Gales dash and speed boost are nice in certain situations like PvP flagging but overall I would avoid it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Guan Long
05-07-2014, 10:39 PM
No gale is still a sub-par skill. It can mess up groupings of enemies if used wrong (which I see most mages doing) and has long cool down.

Gales dash and speed boost are nice in certain situations like PvP flagging but overall I would avoid it.

i see, so gales is it good for PVE? i prefer PVE more. haha.

jb57542
05-07-2014, 10:57 PM
i see, so gales is it good for PVE? i prefer PVE more. haha.

I would avoid gale for PvE. There are better skills.

Candylicks
05-07-2014, 10:58 PM
You can play around with shield or heal, try them both. I prefer heal to lvl because it saves money on potions and helps the group with mana, but it's a good idea to try all skills as you level including gale.

Instanthumor
05-07-2014, 11:48 PM
Using heal will pull aggro, which would want you to use shield, which is bad because you're now left with 2 offensive skills.
If you HAVE to pick one or the other, use shield. Rely on your warrior's heal or potions.

Guan Long
05-07-2014, 11:54 PM
You can play around with shield or heal, try them both. I prefer heal to lvl because it saves money on potions and helps the group with mana, but it's a good idea to try all skills as you level including gale.

i tried alr, indeed save alot of pot. i tried, fire/ice/time/shield but really spam pot. having heal sure save pot.

Guan Long
05-07-2014, 11:55 PM
Using heal will pull aggro, which would want you to use shield, which is bad because you're now left with 2 offensive skills.
If you HAVE to pick one or the other, use shield. Rely on your warrior's heal or potions.
yeah, i was thinking about using shield and heal, but left with 2 offensive skill, don't know what to use lol

Otahaanak
05-08-2014, 12:42 AM
You won't need shield for a while. You will learn more by not using it until you cap and start running elites, IMO. For example you will learn you are not a tank and can't just run into a group of mobs and expect to survive. A lesson I still need to be reminded of sometimes :-)

If you can handle the pots usage, drop heal as well. And ignore the tanks and rogues who are calling you noob for not having it. They are expecting you to be their mobile pot shop.

Stay with Fire, Ice, Clock and light and you will help your party more by dealing more damage and clearing enemies quickly. Be sure to carry the ROOT option in clock as well as the dot option for Frost and learn to use frost effectively.

Good luck!

ongxa
05-08-2014, 10:49 AM
I only use Gale for Farming

grumpy
05-08-2014, 11:53 AM
gale is a fun skill to use in normal mode but do not use it in elite. Scattering a pull will only draw contempt and noob calling from your party. I used to run gale a couple of seasons back, mostly for fun. But for serious PVE I find little to no use for it and it is my recommendation to just drop it.

Now for OP's question of shield vs heal. IMO if you do PVE only, you don't need heal as you have pots which are much faster. However I do spec heal to use in normal mode because I usually end up never having to use potions that way. If you do, only spec into mana heal (the 2nd upgrade for 2/5 heal). Shield is a must for elite unless you are very well geared and experienced to forgo it.

Elite: Fire, Ice, Clock, Shield (swap clock out for lightning at boss)
Normal: Fire, Ice, Clock, Heal (swap clock out for lightning at boss)