PDA

View Full Version : About the upcoming trading feature..

Fineblade
05-08-2010, 09:33 AM
Im a relatively new player, loving the game so far. Dev's have done and are doing a great job, i like the daily updates too.

But i couldnt help notice some people ask for items to be valued in the trading system (have the price of a sword display on the screen for example).

The benefits of this is that players cant get ripped off. I cant ask you for 500gold because the screen clearly says its only worth 425gold. sounds like a good idea right?

Well it isnt. Having an economy that regulates itself within an MMO is literaly a brand new game within the game. I used to play another online MMO a few years back, and the economy and market was great, because item prices were dictated by players, not devs. This was based on how rare something was. It changed every now and again due to alot of it being around, and also dropped too. Like the real world.

Now, i literally made millions of gold, by merchanting. Merchanting was buying cheap and selling expensive. So i'd buy armour for 1000gold, when the market value was 1,200, and sell it for 1,500gold. lots of people made their money this way, it wasnt cheating or stealing or ripping off, its business. Its how the real world works. It was so much fun simply buying and selling.

This particular game i played, introduced a set price for everything. Like you guys are planning (or so i hear) this ruined the game for thousands of people. I left the game because of that, it was my favourite part. Setting prices is basically just creating a million NPC vendors. it makes the trading system pointless.

So please, dont introduce a pricing system, or set prices shown to players on the trading screen. Let the players figure out prices for themselves, let the economy regulate itself. It's literally another game within the game itself, and like i said, if you do set a price for everything, your essentially making everybody a NPC vendor, its a waste of a great idea.

Prest87
05-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Sounds like a great idea Fineblade hopefully the devs look at this post.

Fineblade
05-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Thanks. Yeah hopefully they see this, take it into account and let me know what they think :)

Vigilant
05-08-2010, 12:05 PM
Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great Great great great great great great IDEA!

And the pricing right now is messed up, like frost white armor sells for like 300 and pinks sell for like 150?

Prest87
05-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Ya the pricing is messed up with Pinks!!

asommers
05-08-2010, 02:04 PM
Not necessarily. You have to remember that what an NPC vendor is willing to give you for an item is a lot different than what a player would be willing to give.

-ALS

Fineblade
05-08-2010, 02:29 PM
Not necessarily. You have to remember that what an NPC vendor is willing to give you for an item is a lot different than what a player would be willing to give.

-ALS

Your not wrong, but when comparing the two systems (Dev set prices and free market) its clear to see which system is better. MMO's are about freedom, doing what you want. All i ask is that you dont limit freedom in pocket legends.

Yes we can buy different things from different people, but if thats what you intend to do, you may aswell save yourself the trouble and create an NPC that sells every item in the game. Or spread out every item amongst the NPC's. As you will agree, this is a terrible idea. But thats exactly what a set price system is, but instead of NPC's its other players. but when it comes down to the trade itself, it may aswell be an NPC. theres no fun, no stratergy, no success or failure there. Its just not fun lol.

Just my two cents.

Prest87
05-08-2010, 03:00 PM
All hes really saying is that he wants too margets an amazing(player) and one which isn't as good (npc) and pinks from other players can cost alot while with npc it dosen't cost much, hes just trying to make this a better game so thanks Fineblade!!

doot
05-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Regardless of whether a price is displayed, the players will dictate the economy. That number will quickly be ignored by all but the newest players.

In which case, I suppose I agree that there's no need for an arbitrary value to be displayed when trading. Less crap on the screen.

asommers
05-08-2010, 11:44 PM
NPC vendors will sell only a small [teeny tiny iddy biddy] fraction of the available items to a player. If you want an ok item, buy it with gold from a vendor. If you want a better item, buy it with platinum from the platinum store. If you want the best items, they are usually dropped as loot from bosses. So, if you get a nice piece of loot from a boss, you'll know that a player can't buy that item with gold or platinum, so you'll be able to sell it to a player and sell it for whatever you think it is worth.

-ALS

KongsNutz
05-09-2010, 12:18 AM
Good explanation asommers.

This only means that (RARE) items will have player depicted trade values.
Normal items will be largely unaffected by any of this.

BestHyun
05-09-2010, 12:21 AM
I'm really looking forward to and hoping that gold will be used as the main currency rather than (this pink for this pink), but I was wondering how this will happen? Will it take some time for people to realize that exchanging gold for items will be the best and efficient way to sell and get whats needed? Come to think of it, this will be great for the devs too since if theres more uses for gold then perhaps more people will buy gold with platinum (money). More profit for you guys ^^.

Basically to sum it up. I played a lot of mmo's, but none that were as new as Pocket Legends, and I was wondering if like the economy will use gold as currency rather than item for item. Hope I wasn't too redundant o.o

KongsNutz
05-09-2010, 12:34 AM
Well the developers are in a hard spot.

Platinum is currently the only way they are getting money.

You use platinum for dungeons and weapons / extras.

If the currency relies only on gold SS get nothing in return...... they need there money to develop things.

I haven't come up with a way GOLD can have value whilst there is still platinum.....:(

The only thing i can think of is raise the dungeon pack prices and make everything else except add-ons purchaseable by gold in game.

Things like pets, guild charters (for creating guilds) etc carry a platinum value only.

BestHyun
05-09-2010, 12:49 AM
Well the developers are in a hard spot.

Platinum is currently the only way they are getting money.

You use platinum for dungeons and weapons / extras.

If the currency relies only on gold SS get nothing in return...... they need there money to develop things.

I haven't come up with a way GOLD can have value whilst there is still platinum.....:(

The only thing i can think of is raise the dungeon pack prices and make everything else except add-ons purchaseable by gold in game.

Things like pets, guild charters (for creating guilds) etc carry a platinum value only.

Based on my mmo experience lol, I think gold should be used as main currency and devs can make money by requiring platinum for alot of things actually in the future. Pets, Guild stuff, Player customizations, campaigns, and more! ^^

KongsNutz
05-09-2010, 12:54 AM
Thats pretty much what my idea was yeh :)

Fineblade
05-09-2010, 08:13 AM
Yeah some good ideas here.

IMO, devs should get rid of platinum all together, and instead just make extras purchasable by real money. instead of buying platinum, which we then exchange for extras, the money should just go straight to the extras, it would save alot of time/effort.

So for example every level cap expansive pack just has a set price, pets, new weapons/armour all have set prices. People will pay for that.

Examples:

Ancient swamps: £1.99
Sword of Ruin: £0.49
Archers necklace of accuracy: £0.49

It just gives people willing to pay money an extra edge over players that dont spend on the game.

Back to my original point of trading, all i ask is tha there is no set price on the screen for any items. I realise all rare/drops/etc will be sold for whatever you want, but it just adds to the game to negotiate prices. One of the best parts of an MMO is negotiating a price for something quite common, and feeling great because you got it 10% off or something. Because without that, like i said, the player himself MAY ASWELL be an NPC.

Yes NPC's still have a role to play with very basic items, but the only thing that needs to be left out is prices in the Player to player trading.

If this happens, the Townes will be full of people buying and selling, like a market place. If you ever need something, you just go to towne and see what people are selling. It just adds to the realism to get there and negotiate prices.

Player1: Selling X for 200gold! (this is what the player ESTIMATES, because the computer doesnt tell him what the real price is/should be)
Player2: I'll give you 170, its all ive got atm.

If the trading screen tells player 1 the item is worth no less than 200, player2 is forced to pay 200...why would player1 purposefully sell for under market value? But thats no fun for anybody, sticking to prices set out by devs. Let us worry about our own cash.

Believe me, This is something you dont want to leave out of PL. Its a brand new selling point (no pun intended), free trading to do whatever you like. You dont even have to fight to have fun, you can just log on and see how much money you can make today.

I just think its too much of a good thing to leave out. I'll be hugely dissapointed if it was.

Banned
05-09-2010, 08:20 AM
Yeah some good ideas here.

IMO, devs should get rid of platinum all together, and instead just make extras purchasable by real money. instead of buying platinum, which we then exchange for extras, the money should just go straight to the extras, it would save alot of time/effort.

So for example every level cap expansive pack just has a set price, pets, new weapons/armour all have set prices. People will pay for that.

Examples:

Ancient swamps: £1.99
Sword of Ruin: £0.49
Archers necklace of accuracy: £0.49

It just gives people willing to pay money an extra edge over players that dont spend on the game.

Back to my original point of trading, all i ask is tha there is no set price on the screen for any items. I realise all rare/drops/etc will be sold for whatever you want, but it just adds to the game to negotiate prices. One of the best parts of an MMO is negotiating a price for something quite common, and feeling great because you got it 10% off or something. Because without that, like i said, the player himself MAY ASWELL be an NPC.

Yes NPC's still have a role to play with very basic items, but the only thing that needs to be left out is prices in the Player to player trading.

If this happens, the Townes will be full of people buying and selling, like a market place. If you ever need something, you just go to towne and see what people are selling. It just adds to the realism to get there and negotiate prices.

Player1: Selling X for 200gold! (this is what the player ESTIMATES, because the computer doesnt tell him what the real price is/should be)
Player2: I'll give you 170, its all ive got atm.

If the trading screen tells player 1 the item is worth no less than 200, player2 is forced to pay 200...why would player1 purposefully sell for under market value? But thats no fun for anybody, sticking to prices set out by devs. Let us worry about our own cash.

Believe me, This is something you dont want to leave out of PL. Its a brand new selling point (no pun intended), free trading to do whatever you like. You dont even have to fight to have fun, you can just log on and see how much money you can make today.

I just think its too much of a good thing to leave out. I'll be hugely dissapointed if it was.

You must be new to the game. The system used to be pay for stuff with cash. It got changed to platium so we could get content quicker.

flaimdude
05-09-2010, 02:35 PM
It's just like irl! When it's a free market economy, it's awesome. When the government (in this case, devs, haha) set prices on things, you either get a shortage or a surplus. Usually a surplus, so then people will, instead of trading with another player, simply click the sell button on the item because that's all its worth, and they can't get anything more on the market. :) Really, all we're asking is that you (the devs) don't limit trade based on how much the item is worth as priced by you. Which actually makes it less work for you guys, cause you don't have to go though and mark every item as a certain price! And I know exactly what game fine is talking about, and I would have to agree that it ruined the game. ;)

Futumsh
05-09-2010, 03:19 PM
The game-mandated item values are purely for purchasing from vendors and liquidating items. Values for trade/exchange purposes have nothing to do with the game.

Rebel
05-09-2010, 03:51 PM
If a player wants an item that bad, he will do anything to get it. Even if this means paying more than what the item sells to a vendor for. This is how trading would work. I don't think someone would say no to a pink because the player trading it asks for a higher price than what it sells for. The player who wants the item would rather pay a large sum to recieve the item so he didn't have to see it sold to another player or to the Npc. You get where I'm coming from?

Fineblade
05-09-2010, 04:16 PM
It's just like irl! When it's a free market economy, it's awesome. When the government (in this case, devs, haha) set prices on things, you either get a shortage or a surplus. Usually a surplus, so then people will, instead of trading with another player, simply click the sell button on the item because that's all its worth, and they can't get anything more on the market. :) Really, all we're asking is that you (the devs) don't limit trade based on how much the item is worth as priced by you. Which actually makes it less work for you guys, cause you don't have to go though and mark every item as a certain price! And I know exactly what game fine is talking about, and I would have to agree that it ruined the game. ;)

Exactly.

Aslong as the set prices are with NPC vedors only, and not with actual players then obviously thats fine. All i ask is some confirmation that when two players trade with eachother, you dev's dont plan on putting a suggested/set price when i put that item into my trade box. All i want to see is my inventory, trade box, accept/decline and a chat box to negotitate prices with the other player.

That system is clearly the best type, i just want to know if you feel the same way.

(And to and earlier post, yes i am new to the game lol, so i didnt know it was originally like that.)