PDA

View Full Version : Just wanna share my experience about Ice Wileder (Frosbolt Upgrade)

Kreasadriii
05-21-2014, 11:51 AM
Note: talking this skills in PvE case (exclude elites maps)

I just realize that many thread talking about mage build PvE say that Ice Wielder is not needed or helpfull at all.
I'm new with my mage PvE but I take this skills, and guess what?
I found why many mages say it's not really effective.

1. Read explanation skill's upgrade if you feel it doesn't really work
2. Get many information from many people who had the same problem with the skills
3. Try to discuss it on forum for more experience and try in game after that
4. Practice the skills in game and try to find the problem by asking "where is the problem of this skills that makes Ice Wielder less effective for PvE mages?"

When I use ice in wt4, I'm worried I'm taking wrong skills after respect. I charged frostbolt mobs (with ice wielder upgrade) but only freeze 1-2 and impact to nearby mobs is slowing them (I hope more mobs get freeze). I've been thinking and do more run in wt4 to proof it, yes it still happen and sometimes it freeze many mobs too.
So I read again the upgrade about ice wielder on frosbolt skills, use it by "aimed carefuly".
Maybe this happened to many AL mages players who thought Ice Wielder not helpful.
"aimed carefuly" makes me think and think, guess what?
I run wt4 more and place time shift, let the mobs get more crowded, get closer to the mobs then charged my frostbolt, realise it when you keep walking inside the crowds.

Results:
- More than 2 mobs freeze
- Ice Wielder is very usefull
- Give your time to control the mobs
- Prevent you from get attacked (maybe reduce your dead KDR) :)

Correct me If I am wrong, just wanna share this and just figure out that we must read the explanation skills if we feel like "ah! this skills is not usefull/less effective" and lets find the way how to find the best solution together ^^

Skills is depends on "how you play the game" and "what purpose of this skills to use (PvE,PvP,Elites)"

Maybe helpful ^^

-Sorry if my English not really good-

falmear
05-21-2014, 12:06 PM
Without ice wielder the way it works is, ice freezes mobs near/around you. And those mobs need to be in close proximity to each other. So you can't back sit back far away, charge ice and freeze every mob, it will only freeze the one mob ice hits. But if you stand basically in the middle or very close to a group of mobs, then charge ice, and any mobs more or less next to each other get frozen. With ice wielder upgrade almost seems to be no difference. It says:

"A charged Frost bolt has a 20% chance of freezing and damaging enemies around your target."

Its been quite some time since I tested this upgrade but based on my recollection there didn't seem to be any difference. So this is why mages don't take this upgrade because if you can pull the mobs together, you can move in freeze mobs and then run away. If you could freeze multiple mobs from a distance then that would be useful. But it never seems to work like that with or without the ice wielder upgrade. And based on your description, it seems to make no difference:

I run wt4 more and place time shift, let the mobs get more crowded, get closer to the mobs then charged my frostbolt, realise it when you keep walking inside the crowds.

xcainnblecterx
05-21-2014, 12:16 PM
Without ice wielder the way it works is, ice freezes mobs near/around you. And those mobs need to be in close proximity to each other. So you can't back sit back far away, charge ice and freeze every mob, it will only freeze the one mob ice hits. But if you stand basically in the middle or very close to a group of mobs, then charge ice, and any mobs more or less next to each other get frozen. With ice wielder upgrade almost seems to be no difference. It says:

"A charged Frost bolt has a 20% chance of freezing and damaging enemies around your target."

Its been quite some time since I tested this upgrade but based on my recollection there didn't seem to be any difference. So this is why mages don't take this upgrade because if you can pull the mobs together, you can move in freeze mobs and then run away. If you could freeze multiple mobs from a distance then that would be useful. But it never seems to work like that with or without the ice wielder upgrade. And based on your description, it seems to make no difference:

Actually i have been able to sit back and freeze multiple enimes without having to run in. Granted it is occasional and i tend to end up kiting more i still find it usefull for the times it does. The issue of it not hitting multiple is based on the location of the mob hit.
In my case i run in cast curse (some will hate for using this in pve but a 10% bonus damage is great), let mobs follow, then cast ice. Tends tp freeze alot. Also since i will be getting another 5 sps i do plan on using clock witch will make the last upgrade more useful instead. Either way ive completely done away with fireball and replaced it with ice specifically cause of what it can do

Amicusdei
05-21-2014, 01:32 PM
I like using ice even in pve elites.
There are a lot of enemies who totally freeze and the effect outlasts the cooldown.
Very nice on spiders and dragon whelps in caves for example. Keeps em still for the kill without party needing mana draining skills.
Also use in km3 to spot freeze the purple witches. Don't know if it prevents them spawning skeletons, but at least it slows them down so clean up guy can wipe em out.
I like the laugh after successful freeze, too.

Kreasadriii
05-21-2014, 01:35 PM
I like using ice even in pve elites.
There are a lot of enemies who totally freeze and the effect outlasts the cooldown.
Very nice on spiders and dragon whelps in caves for example. Keeps em still for the kill without party needing mana draining skills.
Also use in km3 to spot freeze the purple witches. Don't know if it prevents them spawning skeletons, but at least it slows them down so clean up guy can wipe em out.
I like the laugh after successful freeze, too.

Yeah! Feeling while mobs freeze is amazing ^^

drgrimmy
05-21-2014, 05:15 PM

Yes, this is my experience too. This is why people only get the second and third upgrades... to increase the length of freezing and to cause DOT during freezing. The only difference I observe with the first upgrade is that the initial higher impact damage will be AOE 20% of the time, but pretty much nothing else seems to change with this upgrade.

Crowsfoot
05-21-2014, 05:40 PM
Ice weilder was nerfed in season 2 do to the OP effects of bring able to perma freeze several mobs throughout the duration of a pull. This was especially OP in low mob pet pull maps like Tower of Madrom.

The nerf causes additional mobs to only be slowed. However, those slowed mobs still recieve the DoT effect. Because if that, and that alone, I believe ice wielder is a worth while upgrade and use it in my mage.

Pfurz
05-22-2014, 02:52 AM
freezing a crowd of wizards in wt4 is indeed helpful to get even the hugest pulls sorted

Haligali
05-22-2014, 02:57 AM
The nerf causes additional mobs to only be slowed. However, those slowed mobs still recieve the DoT effect. Because if that, and that alone, I believe ice wielder is a worth while upgrade and use it in my mage.

I got this slow effect without ice wielder too.

Newcomx
05-22-2014, 03:50 AM
Upgrade it, charged and release it in the middle of a mobs.... u can see the result, a lot of mobs frozen. Better while using shield...

Kreasadriii
06-20-2014, 05:39 PM
Upgrade it, charged and release it in the middle of a mobs.... u can see the result, a lot of mobs frozen. Better while using shield...

Yeah :)