PDA

View Full Version : Anyone play on a Samsung Galaxy S5?

Zylx
05-29-2014, 08:26 PM
How well does AL run on it? I'm thinking of buying one in the near future.

Majorlegion
05-29-2014, 08:30 PM
I play on s4 and it's godlike. Plus the graphics are amazing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Crowsfoot
05-29-2014, 08:33 PM
I would imagine the S4 and S5 run very well. The HTC One is great as well, However, I take preference to my Nexus 7s (gen 1 and gen 2)

TurboGotti
05-29-2014, 08:40 PM
S4 is good
S5 is better. When someone call it's just a little pop up that doesn't cover the whole screen.

dantus
05-29-2014, 08:56 PM
I just upgraded my s4 to s5 love it. And yes calls come in a small pop up that dont interfere with game play or dc you. Graphics are crisper and the game runs smoother.

Morholt
05-29-2014, 09:16 PM
New Samsung and HTC phones have GREAT graphic cards & processors. The game will run very nicely and smoothly.

I often see people complaining about the shadow veil glitch causing 'lag.' Well, that isn't lag. That's a person's device being junk and can't display the graphics properly, this causing the choppy feel that is similar to lag. Fortunately, I have a real phone that never has any issues because of "too much graphics."

I don't know what you'll be upgrading from, but if it's old, you're going to love playing on an Galaxy S5. If you're coming from an iPhone, you're going to want to punch yourself in the face for ever gaming on one of those. In terms of specs, an iPhone 5 is on the same level as...an Android smart phone WITH a slide out keyboard...when the Galaxy S3 was brand new! I kid you not. That's how weak the processor of an iPhone 5 is. lol

AL_Newbie
05-29-2014, 09:39 PM
No issues here on Note 2 w/9800mah battery. ; p

dantus
05-29-2014, 09:46 PM
The iphone s5 has the best gpu as far as verizon goes in the us. Next to that is the note 3, the htc one m8, and the s5 all use the same gpu i believe. A friend of mine suggested that the htc may be the best gaming choice due to the heat dispurtion of the aluminum unibody but i am happy with the s5 for sure.

Zylx
05-29-2014, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the info guys!

Iliketolol
05-29-2014, 11:45 PM
Idk about u guys but i own galaxy s4 ( exynos octa core version)..... What i noticed is that phone gets extremely hot when playing game for 30mins +

So hot that it becomes uncomfortable to hold it.. Same goes with my frnds galaxy s5..

I would recommend a good dual core phone for this game, like 1.5-2.0 ghz dual core and amoled screen ( looks amazing) rather than octa core beasts..

Cptmond
05-30-2014, 12:38 AM
s5 For the Win! Baby!

Zeus
05-30-2014, 01:20 AM
New Samsung and HTC phones have GREAT graphic cards & processors. The game will run very nicely and smoothly.

I often see people complaining about the shadow veil glitch causing 'lag.' Well, that isn't lag. That's a person's device being junk and can't display the graphics properly, this causing the choppy feel that is similar to lag. Fortunately, I have a real phone that never has any issues because of "too much graphics."

I don't know what you'll be upgrading from, but if it's old, you're going to love playing on an Galaxy S5. If you're coming from an iPhone, you're going to want to punch yourself in the face for ever gaming on one of those. In terms of specs, an iPhone 5 is on the same level as...an Android smart phone WITH a slide out keyboard...when the Galaxy S3 was brand new! I kid you not. That's how weak the processor of an iPhone 5 is. lol

No, you're mistaken.

Apple iDevices pretty much have the most powerful GPUs for consumer mobile devices. The CPU? Sure, it's weaker. However, for applications, Apple iPhone CPU is just fine for any other application.

A huge handicap of android is that they keep releasing crazy fast CPUs and people buy it up! Here's the thing though: you don't need that much power for 32 bit applications. What they do miss out on is the GPU power which is shockingly lacking in most android devices.

Do not even get me started on the heat generated by these phones because of the ridiculous CPU clock speeds. Have I mentioned to compensate for the weaker GPUs, that is why the higher CPU speeds exist? That's why your phone gets ridiculously hot. You're overworking both the GPU and the CPU. With apple devices, that is not the case as the GPU can handle much of the grunt work required.

So, for gaming in terms of graphics, iDevices win. The S5's GPU is barely better than the 5S...almost to the point where you would not notice. Isn't that a bit of a joke when comparing a phone that was just released to a phone that has been out for over a year? Then once again, Apple will release yet another iPhone that will blow the other smartphones out of the water in terms of gaming.

See this link:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7335/the-iphone-5s-review/7

will0
05-30-2014, 01:35 AM
works fine and great on quad core Note 3 with 5.7" super amoled screen and 3gb ram no over heating and good on the eyes

Zeus
05-30-2014, 01:39 AM
works fine and great on quad core Note 3 with 5.7" super amoled screen and 3gb ram no over heating and good on the eyes

That has the Adreno 330 (which is slightly better than the 5S's GPU) and more efficient heat dissipation than phones. As a fablet, I don't think it qualifies for the issues that the S4 and S5 have.

j3peaz
05-30-2014, 05:45 AM
works fine
and great on quad core Note 3 with 5.7" super amoled screen and 3gb ram no over heating and good on the eyes

I just upgraded from an original nexus to note3 and IT IS AWESOMMMMMMME

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Capolista
05-30-2014, 06:28 AM
I am playing on Galaxy Note 8' tablet

And it was awesomeeee !!

Quadcore 1.6 Ghz let me experiences smooth detailed graphics especially on dark dungeon like hauntlet, wt, kt, km

The only disadvantage are battery life (from 100% to 15% equal to 30-40x fast runs on km3)

Onashasa
06-02-2014, 03:15 PM
Great phone, i love my s5 xD. But i love the features like air view, which doesn't have a sense but are funny most xD

Onashasa
06-02-2014, 03:18 PM
But there is never a lag, only if wlan connection is bad

Crowsfoot
06-02-2014, 04:02 PM
I'm really tempted to type a long comparison, but I doubt many people would read it. Furthermore, those who would read it woulkd have already known everything I wrote. And, each would respawn "yes and that is why <x> is better," regardless of their preference because of how different they two types of devices are.

Below is a more blunt way of putting it.

Apple:
-Easy to use.
-Built to be a phone, not a computer.
-High end graphics.
-Well protected.

Android (Linux):
-Difficult for some to use.
-Highly adaptable.
-High processing and RAM (usually).
-In some ways, unprotected from certain viruses.

I don't usually bother with the virus argument. Both devices can be crippled by a Trojan. As for the adaptability issue, yes you can argue it doesn't matter since phones are relatively weak compared to real computers. There is no "right" choice per say, it is all opinions.

Leonut
06-02-2014, 07:42 PM
I'm really tempted to type a long comparison, but I doubt many people would read it. Furthermore, those who would read it woulkd have already known everything I wrote. And, each would respawn "yes and that is why <x> is better," regardless of their preference because of how different they two types of devices are.

Below is a more blunt way of putting it.

Apple:
-Easy to use.
-Built to be a phone, not a computer.
-High end graphics.
-Well protected.

Android (Linux):
-Difficult for some to use.
-Highly adaptable.
-High processing and RAM (usually).
-In some ways, unprotected from certain viruses.

I don't usually bother with the virus argument. Both devices can be crippled by a Trojan. As for the adaptability issue, yes you can argue it doesn't matter since phones are relatively weak compared to real computers. There is no "right" choice per say, it is all opinions.

Can I ask you a simple question? Have you own both devices for extended periods? Android IS easier to use. The back button is God sent. The multi tasking is superior. And if you only want phone functions, best go buy a non camera phone from 7-11.

So I don't want to sound offensive. What you said is really what people would call an Apple fanboy's comment.

Yakiniku
06-02-2014, 07:55 PM
Ehhh. We all have our opinions and reasons for liking what we use. Let's not let this thread turn into yet another Apple vs Android argument, which are oh so common on other (biased) forums. Those "discussions" never get anywhere.

To chime in for the OP, I love playing on my Note 3, so you'll probably like gaming on the S5. I've not used an S5 in person, but I'm sure it's a good piece of equipment.

Visiting
06-02-2014, 10:40 PM
I personally play on a Kindle Fire HDX and its great...

Ravager
06-02-2014, 10:40 PM
Nearly all current gen smartphones will run the game including the S5 as long as they are running android / ios. The bottleneck will not be the gpu/cpu in most cases but the wireless connection.

Things to consider are the form factor / size. Some people have larger thumbs and require bigger screens to be comfortable. Some people like larger bezels, some do not. Some people accidentally and constantly hit the home button due to layouts. Best to test in person if you can and go with your own opinion of devices.

Zeus
06-02-2014, 11:02 PM
Nearly all current gen smartphones will run the game including the S5 as long as they are running android / ios. The bottleneck will not be the gpu/cpu in most cases but the wireless connection.

Things to consider are the form factor / size. Some people have larger thumbs and require bigger screens to be comfortable. Some people like larger bezels, some do not. Some people accidentally and constantly hit the home button due to layouts. Best to test in person if you can and go with your own opinion of devices.

Yes, they will run the game for the time being but over time, they will grow more laggy. Example: N7 played AL butter smooth. Now? It lags after the graphic upgrades.

So, if you want a long term device, apple is your choice. If you want the most fancy spec'd device that you can show off to your friends, android is the king. It comes down to preference, just know what you are in for.

Crowsfoot
06-02-2014, 11:54 PM
Yes, they will run the game for the time being but over time, they will grow more laggy. Example: N7 played AL butter smooth. Now? It lags after the graphic upgrades.

So, if you want a long term device, apple is your choice. If you want the most fancy spec'd device that you can show off to your friends, android is the king. It comes down to preference, just know what you are in for.
Linux can be updated and hardware easily expanded to improve longevity. This is especially true for pure Google products such as those under the Nexus label.

My #1 complaint with apple is that I have to jail break the device (which bogs down the device's operations) to get the apps I use most. Not to mention, I void the warranty doing so. Below is a screenie of my home screen. Specifically Show box, Note Everything, and Music Downloader Paradise Pro cannot be installed on an apple device nor is there a suitable replacement without jail breaking.

Not to mention several wireless providers offer yearly and/or bi-yearly upgrades. Moore's Law also says processing will double every two years (a notable leap is made aproximentally 1.5 years into this 2 year period). Thus, a top of the line 2014 device will remain relevant through 2016 whereupon you can upgrade devices. I upgrade every two years and only see issues in the week(s) to at most month before I finally upgrade devices.

Unless you are planning to keep your mobile device for more than 4 years, apple has no strategic advantage in avoiding lag in games. Even then, apple products (notably the Iphone3 which is comparable to the original HTC Evo) can have processing issues before their android rivals based on how far ahead it was at the time of release. Though rare, the iphone3 is a prime example.

In my opinion, you shouldn't buy an apple product just because you think it will last longer do to a better GPU. But yes, you are technically buying a better image. Processing versus Graphics.

Zylx
06-03-2014, 12:00 AM

Oh im sticking by android 100%. I'm not a very big fan of Apple as a company, and i have Steve Jobs to blame for that (i feel as though it's ran by chauvinistic bigots). I also feel limited when i use apple devices (even though i've only used an iPad).

Crowsfoot
06-03-2014, 12:03 AM
Oh im sticking by android 100%. I'm not a very big fan of Apple as a company, and i have Steve Jobs to blame for that (i feel as though it's ran by chauvinistic bigots). I also feel limited when i use apple devices (even though i've only used an iPad).
Well then...umm, not sure how to respond *cries about previous post that took 15 minutes to type up*

Zylx
06-03-2014, 12:07 AM
Well then...umm, not sure how to respond *cries about previous post that took 15min typing up*

Owh sorry! Well it backs up my preference for android devices and allows the ones who havent decided yet on Apple or Android to get a better understanding on what they can get :). Your post was appropriate!

Kuragasi
06-03-2014, 12:11 AM
Nexus 5 all the way!

And as for Apple having better gaming devices that is only true for games specifically developed for the iPhone/iPad. In the case with AL which is developed to cross multiple platforms it is highly unlikely that it remotely utilizes all the ability an iOS device has to offer. The same goes for the top android phones as well.

Crowsfoot
06-03-2014, 12:11 AM
Owh sorry! Well it backs up my preference for android devices and allows the ones who havent decided yet on Apple or Android to get a better understanding on what they can get :). Your post was appropriate!
Nah, I was kidding. To be honest it was a good time killer. Only complaint is my background looks like trash in the screen shot, lol. It is a live background which loops through certain parts of the universe in a repeating loop. I just happened to catch it at the beginning where it is all black and doesn't have any cool nebulas, quasars, or galaxies.

Ravager
06-03-2014, 01:47 AM

Not sure. It still runs fine on my galaxy note 1 which has much lower specs than an n7.

Zeus
06-03-2014, 02:29 AM
Not sure. It still runs fine on my galaxy note 1 which has much lower specs than an n7.

Hmm, for my n7, AL now lags along with my Kindle Fire HD...even after a factory reset. Isn't the GPU on the note 1 better or am I mistaken?

Osabevie
06-03-2014, 06:19 AM
Hmm, for my n7, AL now lags along with my Kindle Fire HD...even after a factory reset. Isn't the GPU on the note 1 better or am I mistaken?

I'm using a 1st gen n7 (might get the 2013 one soon) and I've never got any massive prolonged lag except for my internet connection.. But then again I've never tried long sessions on an iPad. :0.

Zeus
06-03-2014, 08:53 AM
I'm using a 1st gen n7 (might get the 2013 one soon) and I've never got any massive prolonged lag except for my internet connection.. But then again I've never tried long sessions on an iPad. :0.

I'm not saying that there is massive lag, however the frame rate is lower when compared to other devices.

Ravager
06-03-2014, 10:08 AM

If you mean the nexus 7 by n7 then it should be the tegra quadcore based set. The resolution on the n7 is higher than the galaxy note 1. Perhaps the resolution that its pushing makes a difference. Then again you dont see the logo "optimized for nvidia" upon loading if that makes a difference.

Crowsfoot
06-03-2014, 10:11 AM
Okay, so you are comparing a mid level android device to a top of the line apple device? Hmmm

Crowsfoot
06-03-2014, 10:12 AM
If you mean the nexus 7 by n7 then it should be the tegra quadcore based set. The resolution on the n7 is higher than the galaxy note 1. Perhaps the resolution that its pushing makes a difference. Then again you dont see the logo "optimized for nvidia" upon loading if that makes a difference.
AL runs flawless on both the gen1 and gen2 Nexus 7s in my experience.

Zeus
06-03-2014, 12:20 PM
Okay, so you are comparing a mid level android device to a top of the line apple device? Hmmm

My 4S plays smoother than it...that's not mid level.