PDA

View Full Version : Battle Mage vs. Other Mages

BlueMagma
12-29-2010, 10:01 PM
Hey guys, i have a lvl 50 mage with 80 Dex and rest in Int. I'm currently using Cyber Doll set and i'm wondering if I should switch to Battle Mage or something else. My current choice isn't bad but i want use it for killing bosses and yea, try putting a mage with OL and see what you get. LOL

As a side note, i am also curious on what "dual spec" means.

Ayrilana
12-29-2010, 11:35 PM
Check the other threads in this section. There's multiple topics about this. Dual spec is exactly what you're doing.

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?13772-Dual-Spec-Guide.

BlueMagma
12-30-2010, 12:09 AM
Check the other threads in this section. There's multiple topics about this. Dual spec is exactly what you're doing.

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?13772-Dual-Spec-Guide.

Wow, THANK YOU, now i realize i can have both :D, i'll just repsec my stat points for Str so that i can use my Cyber Doll Set and a possible Rift Set (just haven't got it yet lol).

One question though, what would be the benefits/downfalls of being a pally? i mean if you can tank with rift, why even use mage?

Ayrilana
12-30-2010, 01:03 AM
You use magic to hold aggro, heal yourself, debuff, etc. The only downfall is that you lose whatever the INT you game up for STR would have provided. This is spell damage, mana, and mana regeneration.

Ellyidol
12-30-2010, 01:15 AM
One question though, what would be the benefits/downfalls of being a pally? i mean if you can tank with rift, why even use mage?

You use a pally because you want to use mage skills but not die as quick as compared to being int.

Benefits are that you don't die as quick, you get to heal even as a tank, and your damage is still quite good as a mob controller.

Downfall is that you aren't the best tank (bears are), your spell damage isn't as high as an int mage (same with heal), and you don't really use the auto attack function much.

But IMO, the benefits of a pally outweigh the downfalls.

Pharcyde
12-30-2010, 03:26 AM
You use a pally because you want to use mage skills but not die as quick as compared to being int.

Benefits are that you don't die as quick, you get to heal even as a tank, and your damage is still quite good as a mob controller.

Downfall is that you aren't the best tank (bears are), your spell damage isn't as high as an int mage (same with heal), and you don't really use the auto attack function much.

But IMO, the benefits of a pally outweigh the downfalls.

Str Mages (Pure Str on a Mage) are actually better then bears at tanking :). They obviously have less hp, but with mana shield/buffs/debuffs that are much more effective. They can virtually tank anything.

mrpredalien
12-30-2010, 04:33 PM
Str Mages (Pure Str on a Mage) are actually better then bears at tanking :). They obviously have less hp, but with mana shield/buffs/debuffs that are much more effective. They can virtually tank anything.

From my shallow experience,
it's Pally<Mage (pure int) Mage>WarBirds but Pally>Warbirds.
correct me if I'm wrong

Pharcyde
12-30-2010, 08:01 PM
correct me if I'm wrong

PvP wise? a normal pally vs a int mage, a pally will win. But get a good build and a int mage will win every time :). Its all about mana usage. Usually you can't kill a pally with one combo because they have good armor and hp, nd pally's damage sucks so they can't kill you in one combo if you carefully place your debuffs/heals/ and mana shield. I got blasted full on by a pally once, the position of my spells actually ended with me winning and full hp and 2/3rds mana left.

Nightarcher
12-30-2010, 08:56 PM
correct me if I'm wrong

Pally>Mage
Pally>Warbird, sometimes Pally=Warbird
Mage<Warbird

Pure mages aren't good at 1v1, but can do major damage if it's a large team and they can get in the middle and get a few kills at once.

chrononh
12-30-2010, 11:06 PM
One on one, pallies beat both dex mages and pure ints if they get close enough or use a lance. Otherwise, it's all about skills placement and, uhm, strategic positioning, i.e. staying out of range. You can't meet a pally head on and win.

BlueMagma
12-31-2010, 11:04 AM
I just looked back on my last question and realized that I should have rephrased it. Sorry, what I meant to ask was what are the benefits/downfalls of being a Dual Spec Mage with Str, meaning you can switch between being a mage and being a paladin. What would be the point of using mage when you could just be a pally? (Since, you have spells as your ranged attack, wands could pretty much be useless)

The only reason that I can find is that you can attack from a distance while being a mage and you can attack bosses with pally. The only issue here then is what would be the best set to use for a dual spec mage using Int. (Cyber Doll Set? Cyber with Keeper?)

Pharcyde
12-31-2010, 07:04 PM
One on one, pallies beat both dex mages and pure ints if they get close enough or use a lance. Otherwise, it's all about skills placement and, uhm, strategic positioning, i.e. staying out of range. You can't meet a pally head on and win.

Actually you are wrong on Pally vs Int. I am still pretty noobie at PvP and currently refining my combo, but I can beat most Paladins, unless its the oldschool and hardcore pro PvP'ers.