PDA

View Full Version : Elites on mage

Attack Dog
06-02-2014, 12:47 AM
I need a Mage build for elite maps.

falmear
06-02-2014, 01:03 AM
Fire,Ice,Time shift, lightning, shield. Start off with fire,ice,time,shield then when you get to boss switch time shift for lightning. Put everything else on passives except passive damage.

Candylicks
06-02-2014, 12:05 PM
I use:
4/5 Fire (no scorch)
4/5 Light (no shock)
4/5 Ice (No shatter)
4/5 Shield (No displacement wave)
4/5 Clock (No time bomb)

Passives: 5/5 crit, 5/5 dex, 5/5 int, 5/5 hp

And exactly as Falmear says, I use clock on mobs and swap for light at boss.

Hazezon
06-02-2014, 12:39 PM
I run a bit more of a "suicide" build which sounds right if I were to call it anything. I only do PVE and I have done many a tindirin elite with this build with great results. Don't try it without a good PT. I may switch light for ice for added mob control.

5/5 Light
5/5 Fire
5/5 Gale
5/5 Clock

passives
5/5 crit
5/5 int
5/5 dex
5/5 str

Bigboyblue
06-03-2014, 09:32 AM
You won't make any friends with the above spec. Follow Candylicks. Mine is slightly different but very close.

5/5 Fire
3/5 Lightning
4/5 Ice
4/5 Clock

5/5 Int
5/5 Dex
5/5 Str
5/5 Crit

Ive hear you can get away with 3/5 in Ice but I'm waiting for a free repec to see.

Hazezon
06-03-2014, 10:56 AM
You won't make any friends with the above spec. Follow Candylicks. Mine is slightly different but very close.

I beg to differ, but everyone has their own style. My personal success with gale does reflect on everyone else's experience, but it is one of my favorite skills that I know how to use well. Ask anyone who runs elites with me. Gale is particularly useful to fight the abomination on the 2nd tindirin map (to escape red zones) and alargan on the 3rd (to slingshot away from his pull). In the end, you have to choose a set of skills that you know how to use, and learn how to take advantage of the strengths and weaknesses of others in your group to run elites well. However, I will agree that candylicks' build is well rounded if you are new to elites.

ALlIsWell
06-03-2014, 11:56 AM
I beg to differ, but everyone has their own style. My personal success with gale does reflect on everyone else's experience, but it is one of my favorite skills that I know how to use well. Ask anyone who runs elites with me. Gale is particularly useful to fight the abomination on the 2nd tindirin map (to escape red zones) and alargan on the 3rd (to slingshot away from his pull). In the end, you have to choose a set of skills that you know how to use, and learn how to take advantage of the strengths and weaknesses of others in your group to run elites well. However, I will agree that candylicks' build is well rounded if you are new to elites.
But dont u think you need arcane shield to survive boss fight?
My build is same as yours but i feel like replacing gale by shield.

Bigboyblue
06-03-2014, 12:11 PM
I forgot to say shield 4/5 for my build as well.

Not trying to upset you Hazezon. I'm sure your build works for you and your party. If you have a good friend base then you can use whatever build you want. If you have to sometimes run with pugs or randoms they expect a mage to have ice and clock for elite runs. Shield is optional but without it you may die a lot. A dead mage is no use to their party.

Hazezon
06-03-2014, 02:00 PM
But dont u think you need arcane shield to survive boss fight?
My build is same as yours but i feel like replacing gale by shield.

I do not think shield is necessary in elites. If you die a lot, sure, but you might want to learn what your party could do better for your survivability so that you can be more effective at killing things. In pugs or random groups, like bigboyblue said, expect to die a lot unless you have a strategy laid out. I don't die very often in elites unless i'm lagging and I often run through maps without tanks, without deaths, and without a shield.

Tendirin
06-03-2014, 09:45 PM
max out your damage and speed passives dont worry about Intelligent passives or you can just Learn to be a build Builder its kinda easy once you Start switching through them

Candylicks
06-04-2014, 06:19 AM

Few things here. I agree gale can be useful but not just to accelerate from a red zone but also as a tapping skill to blow back the straggling mobs to your tank. We have one guild mage who uses gale and it's a pleasure to run with for this exact use of gale. However, gale seems to be most popular and useful in KM3.

The lack of shield in elites I disagree with. You will either have a mage who (1) dies a lot or (2) doesn't die but also doesn't do very much inside the map because they don't have a shield and stand way back most of the time.

My build isn't just for new mages in elites, it's what the majority of us elite PvE runners are using or something close to it.

Candylicks
06-04-2014, 06:20 AM
max out your damage and speed passives dont worry about Intelligent passives or you can just Learn to be a build Builder its kinda easy once you Start switching through them

Tendirin you know I like your quirky sense of humor, I really do. However, the OP was being genuine and statements like this confuse the topic.

grumpy
06-04-2014, 09:47 AM
Listen to Candylicks. Tendirin is a forum troll, ignore his comments.

I also used to run gale in my build for fun. Its has utility to dodge red zones, run to bosses quicker, or make you tankier for a brief period (especially good if you couldn't leave a red zone on time). For elites I agree that it can be used to maneuver mobs into desired areas however, my experience is that sometimes this effect can be random. Also, if the mob was stunned with a fireball or ice already it won't get knocked back so you'd have to be mindful when you use it. So it does take a bit of practice and experience to use successfully. However, with the introduction of the magmatic totem and its awesome pull proc, I feel it is far better at maneuvering mobs into position (if this is your reason for using gale). I don't use gale anymore just because I find the other skills to be more useful especially fire, ice, clock and shield.

Speaking of shield, I would strongly suggest you use shield for elites especially if you are inexperienced. As candylicks said, without it expect to die A LOT. You'll also need shield to drop an effective clock because you have to get into the middle of mobs sometimes.

Kyuura
06-07-2014, 09:11 AM
I use:
4/5 Fire (no scorch)
4/5 Light (no shock)
4/5 Ice (No shatter)
4/5 Shield (No displacement wave)
4/5 Clock (No time bomb)

Passives: 5/5 crit, 5/5 dex, 5/5 int, 5/5 hp

And exactly as Falmear says, I use clock on mobs and swap for light at boss.

Agreed :)
This one is a nice build

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Sorcerie
06-07-2014, 11:21 AM
I run a bit more of a "suicide" build which sounds right if I were to call it anything. I only do PVE and I have done many a tindirin elite with this build with great results. Don't try it without a good PT. I may switch light for ice for added mob control.

5/5 Light
5/5 Fire
5/5 Gale
5/5 Clock

passives
5/5 crit
5/5 int
5/5 dex
5/5 strI'm not gonna deny that Gale in the right hands is an awesome skill that can save your *** and wrangle mobs, but this build is exactly as you call it, suicide - which needs no definition. It does more harm to yourself than good no matter how skilled you are as it forces your pty to make up for your slack since you can't defend yourself properly, which you even preface yourself.

I have tried to run builds like this in the past and I'm no slouch or noob when it comes to skills - all it does is farm deaths and pots at an unsustainable rate. Now if you're running pty's with Mauls and geared out teams this is another story altogether, which im guessing is the case for you since I know what it's like to farm with players like this, but I digress.

Imho, shield isn't just preferred in elites it's pretty much a requisite, new to elites or not.

Why? Because Sorc skills pull massive amounts of aggro due to our high dam, even with a good pty. I can tell you with a 100% assurance that even with my shield up and a warrior spamming every aggro stealing skill he's got I still get maimed because of how much I'm pissing off mobs. So to me it's wonder you can stay alive at all.

So unless you're planning to hide behind your pty I do not recommend a four skill build like this.

Crystalwiz
02-20-2017, 05:11 PM
I need a Mage build for elite maps.

I recently redid my skills and build to be better qualified for doing elite. I'm a level 61, Mage. I researched many people's recommendations and came up with FB (4/5), gale (5/5), shield (4/5), clock (4/5). Mastered 10/10 fire, 10/10 gale and 10/10 shield. Passive 5/5 intelligence, 3/5 quickness, 5/5 Might. All points in intelligence except 20 for strength.

I noticed a difference right away and was able to fight much better and was stronger. By maxing out the gale I did much better in somberholt and didn't get the deadly curse. Love the FB and the gale takes getting used to but is effective. I got lots of good advice here before I made my decision. Good luck!

will0
02-20-2017, 08:53 PM
I recently redid my skills and build to be better qualified for doing elite. I'm a level 61, Mage. I researched many people's recommendations and came up with FB (4/5), gale (5/5), shield (4/5), clock (4/5). Mastered 10/10 fire, 10/10 gale and 10/10 shield. Passive 5/5 intelligence, 3/5 quickness, 5/5 Might. All points in intelligence except 20 for strength.

I noticed a difference right away and was able to fight much better and was stronger. By maxing out the gale I did much better in somberholt and didn't get the deadly curse. Love the FB and the gale takes getting used to but is effective. I got lots of good advice here before I made my decision. Good luck!

I prefer gale + time + shield + light (when there's no rogue around you need to kill mobs with huge hp). I added mostly the balance points to passive INT / DEX / Durability (str)

10/10 mastery on gale and time is a must to freeze mobs and giants and remove curse and stun mage / archers with AS

Terminhater
02-23-2017, 05:41 AM
I know this is a necro'd thread but anyway......

For elites :

Do not use lightning on mobs.
Do not use life giver (you're fighting with one less CC/attack skill).

Party needs a mage to subdue mobs and not take out a single whelp out of a huge deadly mob with a lightning bolt or throw health in the air when we have ample pots.

Crystalwiz
02-23-2017, 10:37 AM
I know this is a necro'd thread but anyway......

For elites :

Do not use lightning on mobs.
Do not use life giver (you're fighting with one less CC/attack skill).

Party needs a mage to subdue mobs and not take out a single whelp out of a huge deadly mob with a lightning bolt or throw health in the air when we have ample pots.

I used lightning for awhile and it seemed to attack groups of people for me. I used it with FB and ran around groups of attackers and it was effective. Switched to gale to reduce the curse. Like it but sometimes it gets out of control. Use the clock a lot to stun groups for the others to get.

Suentous PO
02-25-2017, 08:35 AM
Pretty sure the op quit a while ago after getting nowhere thanking himself on four acc's :,D