PDA

View Full Version : Warrior PvP Build

Rannos
05-09-2010, 05:54 PM
I thought I would start a thread so that my fellow warriors and I could start a dialogue on how best to equip, spec, and close on the enemy! With the recent announcement of NO POTS in PvP and -- I'm sure you know -- the lack of healing by Enchantresses in general, I thought I would start with suggested equipment. (Level 35, but if you want to add for lower levels, feel free!)

http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz110/grantholtan/f613a314.jpg

http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz110/grantholtan/54b40fbb.jpg

http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz110/grantholtan/31ec2001.jpg

http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz110/grantholtan/892747b4.jpg

Some of you will notice my lack of any M/S whatsoever! So if you have any suggestions (cap maybe?) let me know!

Azrael
05-09-2010, 06:15 PM
not done with my set ups yet. But i intend to be able to switch from 2h dps to shield h/s regen. The real issue is the loss of dex from all this not strength gear. Using them all invariably drops your str by atleast 14.

The BIG issue with the potential pvp builds will be mana. Our skills cost too much for the amount we must use them, and for the amount of M/S our top class armors provide (0 if you are wondering...). Add that to the fact that we have to heavily pump str and dex to be effective, there is no room for pumping int. Quite frankly 1 ms from 16 int isn't gonna really help. M/s needs to be stacked to at least 3 before it becomes noticeably effective. What we are left with is a class that is going to run around OOM constantly. High h/s regen and survivability... but very low skill usage, or one burst and then OOM.

Quite frankly, i think warriors will serve as long lasting distracting meatbags that pester the enemy with auto attack. However i have to stop and take my own advice here, and wait patiently before i judge. Collect everything you can before pvp and go from there.

Edit: And btw, just cause it is pink doesn't make it better. The Saintly shield of the bear is fantastic for instance. Again not giving up that str and gain crit and dodge is BIG for damage and dps. The HS items put together may give 16 regen, but they wont server as quality dpsers like a warrior using str purples and pinks with crit. That frees up stat point requirements for dex, which equals more damage and crit. Don't forget that even though the flaming sword of legend is high dps, it is low damage, and isn't as effective with slashes as a slower higher damage weapon, and those weapons, such as a Conq battle axe or a Frosty Hatchet have a lower str req. Once again, that means more dex.

Rannos
05-09-2010, 06:59 PM
Though I agree that the issue remains Mana regen, I do need to argue your point of Damage over DPS. Though it is debatable in discussions concerning PvE, your entire point circulates around the idea of being out of mana and how to keep that from happening quickly. The best solution that I can think of is to develop a strategy that uses as little mana as possible: Higher DPS.

I believe that Health regen will be more important than crit because, though crit increases your damage at times, you will be charging the enemy (more likely enemies) as he roots/freezes/blasts you and will do everything in his power to kill you before you get your critical hit. Of course, the Warrior has beckon, but as soon as Archers and Enchantresses realize they just have to step a little closer, you will pull them right past you. The key to a bears success in PvP will be survivability, as kills are what count (and conversely, your deaths for the other team).

Azrael
05-10-2010, 04:31 PM
EDIT!!!!: So new information has come to light with the new descriptions of skills. It appears that unlike many other games, damage skills like slashes are not based on weapon damage, but are independent. Given this new information, there is less incentive to use a higher damage weapon, though it is still a viable strategy depending on circumstance.

ziae
05-10-2010, 10:10 PM
hi just wanna add in abit for the gear section. though the flaming sword of legend has 1 more min and max dmg than swampy rat's croc tooth sword, but it has 5% dodge to add in the dept for tanking. with the 10h/s + wateva ur stats give u which will probably adds up to 14h/s.

im thinking of another possible set of gears, which is croc scale plate of legend, conq croc shield of legend together with swampy rat sword to concentrate on dodge%
which is quite possible.

as for skills, i suppose there is already a standard set to be used and probably depends on personal choice on the remaining one or two. as for the mana regen problems, i think we have to use the right skills at the right time to reserve the mana pool. let the birds and enc spam skills tad more than us.

Azrael
05-10-2010, 10:19 PM
dodge can always be bumped up with evasion for short periods when needed. HS is always there for you, but dodge is only there when it works. Keep in mind the hit% goes up to 200 atleast, so how the dodhe equation works is unknown. Warriors rely more on lowering the damage they take.

TheBaconKing
05-10-2010, 10:27 PM
Why have str over the 112 you need for the gear? The amount of health and armor you get isn't very significant. You would get more from throwing a few points into Int then the rest into dex for hit and crit. I don't know for sure, and need some clarification, but 11 int will give you 1m/s correct? If not then I would say screw int and put the 112 in str then the rest into dex. If the 11 points into int does give 1 m/s then that is more valuable than the extra dps or armor.

I sorta assume you don't have a spec set up for PVP as you posted nothing about your skills or stats.

I honestly don't know how much 1 m/s will help out though. I just need to get on the ball and get my warrior up too 35. I just have been to busy with school. Finals week here.

Off topic, but whoever thought of finals on a Saturday should be shot.

ziae
05-11-2010, 02:34 AM
@azrael maybe different thinking, in the end it all depends on situation.

@bacon nothing is concrete now and i guess we can just put wateva stats we wan and wait for pvp to come, so if we have different pple with diff stats, its gonna be great because then we can post different findings. good luck for ur finals!

@rannos hey sent u a pte msg and added friend.

SlipperyJim
05-11-2010, 06:28 AM
Go with a Croc helm for mana regen? Sure, you lose two points of armor, but the extra M/s would be handy....

Rannos
05-11-2010, 07:43 AM
Back to the M/S discussion, everyone is running around Alterra looking for Mamboza Plate and Shield -- I have never seen a pic or seen either of these items drop. Could someone confirm if they exist?

Yes, I didn't post my states because I haven't spec'd for PvP yet. I am a little slow to do that, as there will (probably) be more gear that comes out with 1.2... I'm also hoping that yesterday's patch had an uber rare pink swampy hammer in there somewhere... but alas...

TheBaconKing
05-11-2010, 11:45 AM
Back to the M/S discussion, everyone is running around Alterra looking for Mamboza Plate and Shield -- I have never seen a pic or seen either of these items drop. Could someone confirm if they exist?

Yes, I didn't post my states because I haven't spec'd for PvP yet. I am a little slow to do that, as there will (probably) be more gear that comes out with 1.2... I'm also hoping that yesterday's patch had an uber rare pink swampy hammer in there somewhere... but alas...

I think I have a good setup now skills wise for a decent combination pve tank and pvp build. I just need sometime to test it out, which cannot be done till 1.2, and farm some decent drops. I really want to test out 2handers once I find a good one. From the stats on a few of them it could actually be nice to have one. They hit hard, and pvp is all about burst damage, and not soo much about DPS. We just won't know whats good and whats bad until we actually get into the ring and fight it out. That goes for both gear and skills.

As far as the gear. I have not even heard of the two until now.

Azrael
05-12-2010, 02:54 AM
I got the copperhead battle sword today... that thing has 7 friggin crit and 3 armor.
I also have the conq battle sword with 7 str 3 dodge 4 crit and 3 armor.. tbh the 7 str ends up freeing up 7 dex... making it a higher damage weapon than the copper head if you spec to it.
Undecided as to which is better
The Croc spines were buffed, slower/more damage than battle swords, but less dps as to be expected.

At least the 2h weapons got a slight buff, but its nothing fantastic. With the battle sword at 1.8 speed it swings faster than some 1h weapons. Feels more like a 1 hander that you cant use a shield with. I hate to go back to WoW for examples, but the real reason 2h isn't as effective is the auto attack instant swing problem. Until melee auto attack works like ranged auto attack, where the first attack is instant and then there is a timer (the weapon speed) till the next swing, rather than the swing speed happening first even on the first swing... 2h will probably stay gimped.

Unsung
05-12-2010, 10:17 AM
I

I don't know about uber rare but I looted a Copperhead's Wammo The Hammer last night. It's not tradeable but it looks sick. I'm on my blackberry now. I'll try to post a pic for you later.

Azrael
05-12-2010, 10:21 AM
I

I don't know about uber rare but I looted a Copperhead's Wammo The Hammer last night. It's not tradeable but it looks sick. I'm on my blackberry now. I'll try to post a pic for you later.

Blackberry?? Blasphemy.

Btw i ran into some guy who claimed he had found 10 of those hammers and that there was some "trick" to getting one everytime, then again he was trying to trade them to me.

TheBaconKing
05-12-2010, 08:45 PM
So I have been farming a little bit over the past few days, and here is what I have come up with. I am planning to spec 5 points onto SMS, and 5 points into rage. That is really all I care about for PVP. The rest will go to tanking abilities for PvE.

I have found this weapon, and this armor. No shield as I will be using a 2 hander.

Note: I am completely unbuffed as you can probably tell.

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/8047/image2010512203404.jpg

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/2697/image2010512203425.jpg

DPS does not matter one bit in PvP. It is about BIG Burst damage. That is why I chose this 2 hander. The pink version of this sword only has an extra 2 or 3 strength. That is all.

I am trying to get my crit as high as possible. When you crit someone for 200+ they will either be dead, or low on health for your teammates to finish off.

I'm pretty sure there is a mid 20's helm that gives m/s, and I will be farming for that next week. I will also be looking for a crit helmet, but for that I might go with an archer helm.

Your 16 h/s might be great. You will be hard to take down, but you will also be weak when it comes to hitting. As a warrior we will be kited like nothing else. It doesn't help that the archers and mages can shoot spells and arrows from the back of their head too. While being kited you will not have many opportunities to hit, and if you are hitting an average of 50, not much will happen when you do hit them.

I could be completely wrong here, but this is what I will be using from the start just to see how it goes. I look forward to hearing how your setups work for you though!

-Poohpoo

LordRaid
05-12-2010, 09:20 PM
If we're talking a build for warriors in PVP, doing as much damage in a short time as possible would be the aim.

Maxing out the slashes would be a suggestion of mine, while equipping the best 2H that has the highest damage.

If possible, crit would be vital as well, while 2 M/s would almost be a necessity if we're going to be using the slashes often in PVP.

ziae
05-12-2010, 09:34 PM
just an opinion. i feel if you want to dish out huge dmg, isn't it better to use archer with range advantage or mage with instant burst aoe? u might say being a warrior allows u to survive abit longer to reach them, but in the end if it all evens out, i still tink archer and mage have the upperhand in the dps dept.

the 14 to 16h/s with the zombie set is allowing u to beckon and sms at the right time while dealing (yes) miserable small dmg on the opponents. if u notice in normal pve how hits from mobs will impede your movement, equipping with a fast hitting sword should do the same in pvp although right now all of us are just theorycrafting when the pvp is not out yet.

even though i favour shield and sword, ill be trying out both. my two set ups will be:

zombie set (still lacking the shield) with swamp rat croc tooth sword (or some pple prefer the flamin legend)
conq croc plate with conq blackmetal claymore

TheBaconKing
05-12-2010, 10:22 PM
just an opinion. i feel if you want to dish out huge dmg, isn't it better to use archer with range advantage or mage with instant burst aoe? u might say being a warrior allows u to survive abit longer to reach them, but in the end if it all evens out, i still tink archer and mage have the upperhand in the dps dept.

I picked the warrior class, because I liked tanking. I really do not want to spend 5 platinum to respec to dexterity and use a bow to do burst damage. I choose what I did because it felt right now me. PvP is all about burst damage. A heavy hitting weapon + a high crit will give you good burst damage.

I am not saying you are wrong, I enjoy reading what others have to say. I learn more when listening to others ideas. I am just trying to justify why I feel what I doing is the right choice. Like you said we are talking about something that has yet to be released and we won't know much until we get in the arena and test. I think I even mentioned that in my post.

if u notice in normal pve how hits from mobs will impede your movement, equipping with a fast hitting sword should do the same in pvp although right now all of us are just theorycrafting when the pvp is not out yet.

This is good thought, but if it were true then when we were to hit enemies in PvE shouldn't it impede their movement? Also if this were to happen in PvP it would make the ranged classes super overpowered. Not only would one shot from their bow or staff/wand stagger us warriors, they can shoot while running without even having to face us or stop at all. That means the only time we would be able to catch them is when we beckon, and it would make stomp useless against them.

You say that the faster sword means we would be able to constantly keep them close, but in reality they have two ways to keep us away. One being firestorm, and the other is to freeze us. Meaning they could use both to keep us away before our beckon is off cooldown. So I think that the stagger PvE monsters do to you would do nothing but make PvP unbalanced.

Again this is all just speculation, and would love to hear everyones thoughts!

-Poohpoo

ziae
05-12-2010, 11:09 PM
haha i don't mean respeccing into dex, i mean using the bird. yep yep all for discussion.

im not sure, but theres dodge which means u can still move freely, successful hit = impede or still being able to walk on, if u observe sometime when u get hit by fireballs u can still move on but sometimes not.

yea they can keep us away and we can still beckon them (but firestorm seems to push further away haha). tats y strategy is and coordination is needed.

I picked the warrior class, because I liked tanking.

and hence more into survivability rather than burst dmg, imo.

ive kinda forgotten about wow, but those dual wielding dps warriors, ok palas?, are usually offtanks and in a max grp of about only 5 in pl, just tinking, just tinking that there might not be place for a dps warrior, unless a strategy needed it.

and hey with so many battle mages in this forums, dps warriors gotta fight for their places again!

kinda great to think there's so many permutations for pvp and even pve in that aspect in future if the bosses really require tat much coordination off a grp.

SlipperyJim
05-13-2010, 03:03 PM
I've been thinking about all of the warrior skills which can stun:

slashes
Stomp
Beckon
Hell Scream

If you combine all of those skills with a weapon that can freeze people, we just might be able to kill someone before he can run away. I might have to try PvP....

ziae
05-14-2010, 01:17 AM
erm slashes can stun??? u meant only mega slash right?

yea but getting to them might be a problem heh.

SlipperyJim
05-14-2010, 12:26 PM
Yeah, SMS. Actually, SMS is the only slash that Epimetheus knows, so it's the only one that I tend to remember.

As for getting to them: Beckon.

TheBaconKing
05-14-2010, 12:34 PM
erm slashes can stun??? u meant only mega slash right?

yea but getting to them might be a problem heh.

SMS stuns, and the one you get at level 8 (I think, I cannot remember the name) also has a chance to root the enemy. Not as good as stunning, but would work great on other warriors. I personally wouldn't use the slashes in PvP for anything but stunning someone. Gotta think about mana conservation!