PDA

View Full Version : A few minor tweaks to the Energy idea

Milan Lame Man
06-11-2014, 05:23 AM
So energy is supposed to prevent overfarming, and perhaps also to save people's sanity due to overfarming.
It's a reasonable goal, so lets reach it.

1. The energy limit should be higher than 24 hours, and not start at full, so that weekend players have a decent chance, and it does not take over people's lives due to having to play 2 times a day.
2. For this to work, there needs to be a limit on how much a plat spender can over-farm.

So my suggestions are:
- Keep regeneration at 1 energy/8 hours
- Make energy limit 10 balls, starting with 3 at event release
- Allow ~20 plat for double regen rate (2 energy/8 hours), ~100 plat for triple regen rate, tradable kit if possible. Kits carry over to the next event, but the effects of running kits expire at event's end.

I believe this would bring a good revenue to STS, without alienating 99% of players (pretty much all but top 5 players I think)

- additional suggestion, it may be a bit late for goblins though... during winddown, add energy kit for 5-10 tokens to the store. This would make people with 24-64 tokens quite happy IMHO.

Note these suggestions are not meant to make energy kits drop in price temporarily then skyrocket in the future.

Excuse me, got some kits to hoard

Zylx
06-18-2014, 11:48 AM
I think what would be pretty cool for the people who just wanna run the maps for xp, fun, etc. would be to allow them entry into portals when their energy is gone, but they won't gain any points or event-specific loot.

Bigboyblue
06-18-2014, 04:28 PM
While I agree the energy system needs to be revamped I don't like the idea of the solution being plat based. If we have to spend plat for faster regen it is the same thing all over again. We need a way for free players to get some enjoyment from events without spending plat. Other ideas have been put forth in various threads that are good for free players so I won't list them again.

Serancha
06-19-2014, 05:06 AM
Map Portals should be free and open after bosses like in the tarlok event. Energy should only be used for entrance through the pay portal in town. This would solve any issues of it being totally pay-to-win like last time.

Milan Lame Man
06-19-2014, 10:20 AM
We need a way for free players to get some enjoyment from events without spending plat.
If a tradable double-regen kit is going to be ~20 plat, it would mean you need a one-time investment of ~40k gold to be able to run 70% that of ultra-mega-plat&gold-rich players. As fair as it gets IMHO.
Obviously pretty much everyone would get that kit for 2-5 toons, so the total revenue for STS would stay good.

Map Portals should be free and open after bosses like in the tarlok event. Energy should only be used for entrance through the pay portal in town.

Lets say a typical map takes 3 minutes including boss, and be generous with 1/5 portal spawn rate.
Free player: 18 minutes (5+mission map) / run
Rich player: 3 minutes / run

Let me assume a few more probabilites.
- there's a crate every 5 runs (who knows? Jarl is about 1/20... but that has no relation to event boss)
- the crate has 1/100 chance to drop mythic weapon
- energy kit costs 20k (it was 10k at times)
- the weapons sell for 20m average
-> Takes ~500 runs to loot one.
Free player: 150 hours for 20m profit=130k/hour
Rich player: 25 hours for 10m profit=400k/hour

Ok so with careful fine-tuning it might give rich players some advantage without it being super-obvious.
But then there is the issue of STS revenue. If plat spending isn't going to give a big advantage, people will not pay.
Finding the right balance might be impossible - revenue will be low AND people angry.