PDA

View Full Version : Are there pros in cross-breeding?

Rebel
05-09-2010, 08:37 PM
I've been trying to start a new character, but I can't seem to get into any other classes like I did with my archer. I was wondering about the pros/cons of crossbreeding.

I was trying to find something new, away from the archer ways.

KongsNutz
05-09-2010, 08:44 PM
I don't actually think there are any Pro's so to speak.

You look different to everyone else .... I guess that's a pro.

Rebel
05-09-2010, 08:45 PM
So basically just follow what the character was built for?

Royce
05-09-2010, 08:46 PM
The only real pro is having the skills of one class and the damage capability and/or armor protection of another. Really the only ones that seem truly advantageous are crossovers to archer, so bowbears and bowchantresses. That's the way I see it at least.

Splurd
05-09-2010, 08:49 PM
The only real pro is having the skills of one class and the damage capability and/or armor protection of another. Really the only ones that seem truly advantageous are crossovers to archer, so bowbears and bowchantresses. That's the way I see it at least.

or tank chantresses.

The loss is things like m/s h/s etc.

And cross breeding makes me sound like an animal. (ok we're chickens and bears but still, just sounds weird)

Rebel
05-09-2010, 10:30 PM
or tank chantresses.

The loss is things like m/s h/s etc.

And cross breeding makes me sound like an animal. (ok we're chickens and bears but still, just sounds weird)

Let's just refer to it as cross-classing then. Not so animalish now :)

and yes, animalish isn't a word... But it sounds pretty beast to me

Splurd
05-10-2010, 12:10 AM
now you have me thinking of some hot bear on elf action. :cool:

LordRaid
05-10-2010, 12:14 AM
and yes, animalish isn't a word... But it sounds pretty beast to me

Just thought of that one facebook group that's named "adding ish to everything when you're trying to describe something".
-Points at self- Facebook geek xD

Pros? Royce pretty much summed it up, beside the fact that depending on what you choose, you'll be unique, a rare sight. A CROSS-BREED.
Having one set of skills with a different out-of-ordinary attack style.

Violentsaint
05-10-2010, 12:36 AM
heres my cross-class build for a tankchantress

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?1597-VIOLENTSAINT-S-LVL-35-BATTLEMAGE-PALADIN-BUILD-(FROM-LVL-30-35)-cool

check it out

Obliteration
05-10-2010, 04:20 AM
Cross breeding lol... Just call it hybrids.

Plainodd
05-10-2010, 05:38 AM
It makes you sexy. Unless you're a bow bear. Then you're just trying to be too sexy for your fur.

Rebel
05-10-2010, 06:09 AM
heres my cross-class build for a tankchantress

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?1597-VIOLENTSAINT-S-LVL-35-BATTLEMAGE-PALADIN-BUILD-(FROM-LVL-30-35)-cool

check it out

Thanks for the build Violent. I was thinking about doing a tankchantress. Thanks for all the comments Too guys. I will let y'all know how it goes with my character. His name will be Rebelhell.

Splurd
05-10-2010, 06:27 AM
It makes you sexy. Unless you're a bow bear. Then you're just trying to be too sexy for your fur.

hey I'm a bow bear and I'm oozing fuzzy sex appeal.

Violentsaint
05-10-2010, 07:41 AM
no worries rebel i cant take all the credit for the build however, it was built off pixxies legendary pally build.

SlipperyJim
05-10-2010, 08:37 AM
I'm seeing a lot of bowchantresses, tankchantresses, and bow bears lately. You'd still be a little less common than the "stock" classes, but not completely new either.

That said, I saw my first tank chicken this morning. An Avian with a Conqueror's Axe. Now that was novel!

I should add that all of my characters are basically "stock," and I'm certainly not trying to criticize hybrids. Play the game in any way that brings you enjoyment! :)

haroldiv
05-10-2010, 12:37 PM
right now the only BIG pro's of cross-classing are the Bow Mage and Bow Bear. bear and mage have very very useful skills and adding bow with 75+ dps to those skills is awesome. Bears can basically control agro and fling groups around and mages can do major debuffing, mana shield and freeze and firestorm.

Avian Tank has some uses, still kind limited and yes i have one. They should not be built as pure STR tanks, they will never be the main tank if there is any other choice. They just cant hold group agro so mobs fly everywhere and it becomes a mess. Especially with all the caster mobs in ancient swamps. That said they are an AWESOME off tank and can push out impressive DPS. Also great for pulling mobs to group to get it moving faster. if they arent paying attention or are lazy they can be more hurt then help though as they will chase mobs away and generate more agro. An Avian warrior that is paying attention can be invaluable to a group though by rooting mobs, taking away 50 armor and pumping out 20 seconds of 1400+ crits when needed.

Here are things that you never see and if you do that person is retarded.

Avian Mage, there is no reason ever to pump INT into a bird. their spells cost very little mana, have long cool down, and they even have a mana regen skill. staffs and wands have terrible dps and the character generally looks ridiculous...

Bear Mage, this is less of a stupid idea as unlimited mana for bear skills would be cool but dangerous. i have yet to see someone pull this off well. who knows.

SlipperyJim
05-10-2010, 02:21 PM
Avian Tank has some uses, still kind limited and yes i have one. They should not be built as pure STR tanks, they will never be the main tank if there is any other choice. They just cant hold group agro so mobs fly everywhere and it becomes a mess. Especially with all the caster mobs in ancient swamps. That said they are an AWESOME off tank and can push out impressive DPS. Also great for pulling mobs to group to get it moving faster. if they arent paying attention or are lazy they can be more hurt then help though as they will chase mobs away and generate more agro. An Avian warrior that is paying attention can be invaluable to a group though by rooting mobs, taking away 50 armor and pumping out 20 seconds of 1400+ crits when needed.
I was just farming with your bird tank! Yours is the second bird tank I've seen. :)

Thanks for the detailed write-up. If I can summarize your explanation, I'd say that a bird tank can be quite useful, but is also a bit tricky to play. Would you agree? If so, that explains why I don't see many of them. It only seems logical that people would gravitate toward the simpler characters....

Again, thank you for the thorough explanation of how bird tanks work!

Rannos
05-10-2010, 02:36 PM
I have to agree, a bird off-tank is amazing at keeping the main tanks target in place with their nasty DPS.

I still love the Bowchantress, you have all the advantages of an Elf (the spells), and most of the advantages of an archer (DPS). You lose some damage due to balancing Dex and Int, but the ability to revive teammates and use mana shield makes up for the loss of some damage... and thats not mentioning the spells! Both classes in pure form are allowed stand off and in this combination, there are very few negatives.

I'm surprised you didn't mention it Haroldiv!

Rebel
05-10-2010, 08:04 PM
So far my tankchantress is working out pretty well. Level 11 at the moment, but I am going back and forth between my archer and tankchantress so the leveling will probably be a little slow.
My attributes are:
strength-39
dexterity-13
intelligence-11

Any tips with my build would be great. Thanks!

Rebel
02-24-2011, 12:47 AM
Look what I found. Made the thread almost a year ago. Opinions then were much different then now.