PDA

View Full Version : Keeper's vs. Mirage Staff

Guolin
01-01-2011, 11:44 PM
If, hypothetically, there were no set bonuses, Keeper's Staff is better than Mirage Staff, correct? I mean, Keeper's Staff has everything Mirage has PLUS higher DPS AND higher spell damage (due to a higher weapon damage). In essence, if there were no set bo nuses, Keeper's Staff would be every superior to Mirage Staff.

However, the Mirage Staff contributes to a set bonus, which is good enough that it is okay to sacrifice the DPS bonus of the Keeper's.

So, my assumption is that I should use Keeper's Staff if I don't have everything else for the Cosmos set, but if once I have the rest of set, I should switch over to the Mirage Staff? Am I correct?

(On a related note, for Pure Int mages, is switching to Cyber worth the set bonus sacrifice?)

Echelong
01-01-2011, 11:51 PM
If you have full cosmos (ol helm and robe) then go with mirage staff the set bonus gives you more dps than keepers. If you don't have it use keepers. The set bonus gives the mirage staff more dps than the keeper. Plus more mana and health per second.

Guolin
01-01-2011, 11:57 PM
Thanks for answering my question! How about the Cyber set?

BlueMagma
01-02-2011, 12:16 AM
Your also missing one more option, the Laser Wand and Gurgox Eye option. Yes, this does not have a set either but laser wand is faster than the other two and with a bracer you have a stronger defense meaning a better chance of surviving. However, it is a personal choice, go with whatever feels right.

You also have the option (if you have the time) of getting Cyber armor. There are 2 sets involved with this and they are the Cyber Staff Set and Cyber Doll Set. Personally, i would go with Cyber Doll Set. This set is the only set that allows you to have a set bonus with the laser wand (say set one more time: set, lol).

For more information on set bonuses, here's a beautiful guide (made by Pharcyde) to help give all set bonuses available to mages. (The Set Bonus section is near the bottom).
http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?14916-Enchantress-Class-Head-Quarters

Guolin
01-02-2011, 12:22 AM
Yeah, I've been eyeing the Laser Wand + Cyber Set option for a while now - I personally think the Laser Wand is best only with the Cyber set. If you have the Cyber set, but you wanted more damage (let's say you have a really good group) would you switch to a Cyber + Staff option or a Cosmos + Mirage Staff option?

Pharcyde
01-02-2011, 12:38 AM
If you have full cosmos (ol helm and robe) then go with mirage staff the set bonus gives you more dps than keepers. If you don't have it use keepers. The set bonus gives the mirage staff more dps than the keeper. Plus more mana and health per second.

Mirage Staff doesn't have more DPS then keepers. The difference in damage per second is thousands. Always use keeper staff

1.) Keeper has splash damage.
2.) Keeper has the higher damage EVEN over the cosmos bonus
3.) Keeper has a weapon proc called "Face melt".
4.) Keeper staff greatly improves your spells damage.

That is why the damage per second difference between the two staffs is in the thousands.

Also Use all cyber armor with keeper staff. Keeper staff is still better then cyber bonus, but doll is pretty good for increasing ao3 survivability.

Guolin
01-02-2011, 10:45 AM
Mirage Staff doesn't have more DPS then keepers. The difference in damage per second is thousands. Always use keeper staff

1.) Keeper has splash damage.
2.) Keeper has the higher damage EVEN over the cosmos bonus
3.) Keeper has a weapon proc called "Face melt".
4.) Keeper staff greatly improves your spells damage.

That is why the damage per second difference between the two staffs is in the thousands.

Also Use all cyber armor with keeper staff. Keeper staff is still better then cyber bonus, but doll is pretty good for increasing ao3 survivability.

I think the Mirage Staff + Cosmos Set might just do it for boss battles, though. It has a little extra survivability, and the bonuses are pretty appealing. AoE Spell Damage and splash damage make no difference. Still, it's nice to know I won't need to miss my awesome little Keeper's Staff. :)

Echelong
01-02-2011, 11:05 AM
Thanks for answering my question! How about the Cyber set?

For Cyber use the cyber staff till you get the doll with the Laser wand. The cyber set bonus stats are weaker than the Cosmos so at first you will do more damage with the cosmos than cyber. I changed my cosmos after I got the doll and laser wand. Other than that Cyber is not worth it.

XghostzX
01-02-2011, 12:09 PM
look i userstand the whole set bonus thing but i've been a pure mage for a while and dawninfinity and readtitle (two skilled mages) will gladly agree keepers staff; well for at least PvP. The small amount of dps almost doesn't matter because you're always getting debuffed and attacked on. The keepers staff of cosmos damage is very helpful going against str birds, pallys or bears.

I use cyber gear, but use a set bonus from time to time. I use wand and doll in PvE for armor. I use keepers staff in PvP still. Why? It simply owns IMO. Otherwise i do it for looks i guess. But some of these opinions also come from top mages. PM also if you want to ask anything.

Guolin
01-02-2011, 01:41 PM
Huh, I would have thought that the Set with Mirage Staff would do better in PvP, given the extra defense. Still, Keeper's Staff is nice, definitely. Somehow I prefer Mirage Staff for looks (I adore the alien theme - I even took off my Hooch Hat [1 armor] just so that the alien-themed Overlord's Helmet would show - and the Keeper's Staff just looks like a giant blob imo), but to all his own.

Thanks for the replies!

Pharcyde
01-02-2011, 04:46 PM
I think the Mirage Staff + Cosmos Set might just do it for boss battles, though. It has a little extra survivability, and the bonuses are pretty appealing. AoE Spell Damage and splash damage make no difference. Still, it's nice to know I won't need to miss my awesome little Keeper's Staff. :)

AoE spell damage actually makes all the difference :). Only bonus I would use is wand and doll, because I already use the wand and eye on bosses before cyber anyways.

Guolin
01-02-2011, 04:54 PM
AoE Spell Damage on bosses, I meant, lol.

mrpredalien
01-04-2011, 09:43 AM
Use cyber cosmos set,
with the wand.
I haven't got it yet, but I saw that it was good.

FluffNStuff
01-04-2011, 10:05 AM
I use Keeper staff when in good groups or NOT fighting OL. I use Cyber Doll bonus set for Cruddy groups and to fight the OL in good groups. ( Would not fight the OL in cruddy groups). As for the Mirage Staff? Unless the bonus is 50 damage to skills, liquidate that shet.

Pharcyde
01-04-2011, 06:17 PM
I use Keeper staff when in good groups or NOT fighting OL. I use Cyber Doll bonus set for Cruddy groups and to fight the OL in good groups. ( Would not fight the OL in cruddy groups). As for the Mirage Staff? Unless the bonus is 50 damage to skills, liquidate that shet.

Crappy OL groups example:

Pro pots up --> Runs in --> Noob follows --> Noob dies --> Noob asks for rev --> Noob Mage runs in --> Noob Mage dies --> Noob(s) spam for Revs and refuse to respawn --> OL dies --> Noob gets Power armor --> Pro gets a Purple Seers Wand....

Guolin
01-04-2011, 09:11 PM
Eh, Mirage Staff sells for more than Keepers' (because of bonus), so I'd rather sell than Liquidate :P.

On my VL runs, though, I don't seem to need to do too much damage. Most of the time I'm just spamming heals, leaving the dirty work to the birds. For Pl'thozz and OL I don't even try to autofire. (actually, for OL, I'm dead half the time anyways)

Pharcyde
01-04-2011, 09:34 PM
Eh, Mirage Staff sells for more than Keepers' (because of bonus), so I'd rather sell than Liquidate :P.

On my VL runs, though, I don't seem to need to do too much damage. Most of the time I'm just spamming heals, leaving the dirty work to the birds. For Pl'thozz and OL I don't even try to autofire. (actually, for OL, I'm dead half the time anyways)

Actually quite the opposite. Mirage Staff only sells higher then keeper, because it is dropped slightly less then keeper. Keeper staff of the cosmos has been farmed down to nothing, before the whole cyber keeper rush and ao3 boss nerf. The Keeper staff was 500k. When I bought my first one way back when, it easily was going 900k-1m.

BlueMagma
01-04-2011, 09:43 PM

Pro pots up --> Runs in --> Noob follows --> Noob dies --> Noob asks for rev --> Noob Mage runs in --> Noob Mage dies --> Noob(s) spam for Revs and refuse to respawn --> OL dies --> Noob gets Power armor --> Pro gets a Purple Seers Wand....

If I had a nickel for every time thats happened... -_-

FluffNStuff
01-05-2011, 09:37 AM
If I had a nickel for every time thats happened... -_-

If I lost 1500 gold for every time that has happened ...
Wait, I have!

Riccits
01-05-2011, 09:42 AM

i boot them before enter OLs room...

StompArtist
01-05-2011, 09:42 AM

You forget the part where Noob then says "good teamwork". :D

Sky../
01-05-2011, 12:03 PM

And the part when noob actually have the guts to pop a lucky elixir before a boss dies.

Pharcyde
01-06-2011, 12:58 AM
And the part when noob actually have the guts to pop a lucky elixir before a boss dies.

ohhhhh myyyyy godddd... I will hunt anyone down if they ever try that in my game :).

Or the part where the noob says "Omg I beasted that boss" true story.