PDA

View Full Version : Turning Arcane Legends into a more friendly and intimate game experience...

Energizeric
06-12-2014, 06:56 PM
A couple of months ago, I posted this thread:

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?146873-So-I-signed-into-PL-today-for-the-first-time-in-a-year

For those of you who played Pocket Legends, I'm sure you remember that there was something about the game experience that made it a more friendly and intimate game. People were more interested in the cool effects that gear gave, and the game was much more about fashion and which "set" looked the best. You would often receive complements about your outfit, and there was always lots of friendly chat going on in Balefort near the consignments shop.

But in AL much of this experience is absent. There is very little public chat except for sellers and buyers spamming. And players rarely notice what you are wearing or what you have equipped unless it is an arcane ring with that big disco ball circle around you.

I think the problem is 3 interface differences:

1) Because buying and selling gear is such a central part of both games, people tend to hang out around the auction house. In PL, you could just tap on the auction hammer from anywhere in the room and the auction screen would open. But in AL you must be standing right next to the auction to open it, and if you tap it from a distance, that tap causes your character to walk over to the auction hammer before opening the auction screen.

The result is that everyone is piled into one single spot next to the auction hammer, and it is impossible to see who is there, what gear they have on, and what they look like. In Pocket Legends, everyone was always spread out throughout the auction room at Balefort, and so it provided a nicer environment to check out who was there.

2) In PL, when you tapped on a player, it would immediately open their avatar screen for you to view. Then if you wanted to invite them or message them, the buttons for that were in that screen. So we get to view what each character looked like up close much more often.

In AL, when you tap on a player you get the options menu popup, and most of the time the option you need is not to view the avatar screen. So we often do not view what players look like up close. As a result, the game is much less personal and intimate.

3) Screen rotation.... Obviously in PL when you could rotate the screen, you could get a better view of who was around and what they looked like.

I understand that AL was made with a fixed view and no screen rotation. But there is no reason why #1 & 2 above cannot be changed to be like it was in PL. I was not just different, it was BETTER. And I'm sure anyone who played Pocket Legends will agree. It has been a while since I played PL, and when I signed into PL in April, I suddenly remembered how I missed that playing experience.

Arcane Legends is overall a much more superior game compared to Pocket Legends. But yes, there are a few items in PL that were better, and maybe STS should think about making a few adjustments in AL to incorporate those few things. :)

Here is a good comparison below. Notice how you can see everyone very clearly in PL, but in AL everyone is in a big pile.

Schnitzel
06-12-2014, 10:43 PM
I do agree with you on the press attack button to talk to npc part, would be nice if we could tap on thr NPC and not the attack button to talk to them..because when im in Nordr fighting stuff, i click attack button alot, sometimes near NPCs, i end up talking to them and by the time i click the X, im dead.

And i do occasionally complement others on their gear and/or pets (mainly others that are my lvl or lower..because the high lvls ignore me 90% of the time)...

And i dont mind much that the screen doesnt rotate, i just dont like the fact that sometimes, parts of pillars (in Nordr hall of (something..forgot)) my view is blocked by a pillar and i cant see where im walking and get frozen by a ice pool..

Froxanthar
06-13-2014, 03:50 AM
So cute !

via orange caramel app.