PDA

View Full Version : Need help with lvl 19 pally twink

Pansy
01-02-2011, 06:18 PM
Okay so i been looking through every old post and I cant find a skill set! Im getting frustrated because ive been respecing and I cant seem to find which skills are efficient and how much points to put in them. If anyone could either help or give me a few tips on what to do and what to avoid it would be greatly appreciated =]

Zerious
01-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Since i see this post is totally ignored I guess i'll put in some advice based on my experience and observations with pvping AS a pally twink in this level range (19-23).

+The "must haves":
-max heal (5)
-max drain (5)
The reason for maxing these is so you last in a fight. Life drain is excellent in burst damage plus it heals you for however much damage you dealt. Heal not only replendishes a massive amount health at level 5, but reenders debuff skills useless if used at the right time. These two skills are the difference between a close call and a straight loss; the rest of it is based on timing and reading your opponent.

+The "sandbox skills" (skills you can play around with without drastically effecting your gameplay)
-firestorm
I usually find firestorm useful for combos that utilize high burst damage, that is typically meant to kill rather than just "hit heavily"
-lightning
This skill doesn't hit as hard as firestorm, but it has an excellent cooldown, so this is more of a "dps skill". Also remember that lightning is an armor debuff.
-frostbite
A skill i don't find too important, as i've seen many successfull twinks without it, but still very useful for the freeze. It also boosts the power of firestorm if you pull off the "Hot-Flash" combo. The damage, no matter the level of the skill, is always a stable range and good for catching runners and ranged opponents if you're melee.
-icestorm
This skill was rather useless before, but I failed to catch the change made on the damage range (the minimum is no longer 0 for all ranks). This skill has moved to sandbox skills because with it's new damage range, which is similar to frostbite's (low, but stable.), it proves extremely useful in rumbles, and gives an edge in 1v1. NOTE: DO NOT rasie the rank of frostbite if you don't have icestorm. Tested on my lvl 15: (1) icestorm damage range: 40-61. (1) frostbite damage range: 53-61; (2) frostbite damage range: 59-72. Do the math: (1) frostbite + (1) icestorm > (2) frostbite. Another thing to consider, icestorm's minimum damage remains unchanged from level 1 to 2. Any level beyond that I'm in the dark with, but my guess is either it stays the same as levels 1 and 2, or the minimum raises SLIGHLTY. Any investigation on that note is purely up to other mages, and the use and method of use of icestorm is up to the player.

+Skills i find rather useless in pvp:
-resurrect
I find this skill is completely unnecessary as your teammates respawn anyway after death, and using res in the middle of a rumble/pile up can only get your teammate easily killed again. The only relatively slight perk to having res would be the 1 m/s bonus you get for one minute. Whether that's worth putting one stat point into (as opposed to fortifying a sandbox stat) is entirely up to the player.
-nightmare
a spell that could be useful against non-elves. I find it only worth using if you have multiple stat points invested (again as opposed to investing in sandbox skills). No combos available with this skill, and elves can easily heal it off, making any stats invested a waste. Lightning is an armor debuff, but not a dodge debuff. Consider this when placing stats, knowing you'll be facing dex builds with high dodge rates and birds who carry evade(not likely that birds carry evade, usually rely on dex and gear). But also consider the differences in cooldowns between nightmare and lightning (lightning is faster).
-weakness
Yet another spell that i find relatively pointless. Lowering a bird's damage and hit rate almost has no real effect unless you invest multiple skill points. The lowered hit rate on a bear could be fatal to them, but level 1 at 5%(if i recall correctly) hit rate debuff, won't do too much in the long run. Damge debuff is overlooked, as it does not affect skill strength whatsoever. Once again, this spell is entirely useless against elves who easily heal the debuffs off.

Hope this helped.

Zerious

Bigsleazy
01-04-2011, 12:38 PM
+1 to zerious. As usual, he's right.
Honestly, it would be better to hybrid str/int at 19, or do pure int. The increase in armor isn't as noticeable, and having no mana regen sucks. Pallys really don't show their advantages until 30 or so.

Pansy
01-04-2011, 04:51 PM
But isnt life drains cooldown too long though? I cant seem to beat birds with peppermint hammers... If I lvl to 20 should I invest in mana shield?

FluffNStuff
01-04-2011, 05:29 PM
-1 to Zerious.
Nightmare and Weakness are a level 19 Pally's best friends.

Especially Weakness against a bird. Take a look at the base damage on their weapons, and subtract 50 points from it. It is ends up as either 0, or at the very most, LESS then your armor. It is really funny, they flail at you and do NO damage.

Hmm, been a while since I did this, and now see weakness and nightmare are only 25 at max. No longer overpowering for the level. Hmm.

TwinkTastical
01-04-2011, 05:31 PM
But isnt life drains cooldown too long though? I cant seem to beat birds with peppermint hammers... If I lvl to 20 should I invest in mana shield?

You can if you try hard enough.

Heelll no.

Zerious
01-04-2011, 07:32 PM
@fluffnstuff (-1 declined) hence why I say it's not worth investing into. I think along the grounds of both 1v1s AND rumbles. Mages are common, and you're likely to fight some, so why have stat points thrown away because of a single heal? I've done just fine without them but as I stated earlier, it's up to the player; I simply added my opinion and reason of opinion.

@pansy Personally, mana shield is only useful to full int sets; basically dex Mage and pure int are the ones to really get much use of it since they have low armour and health but high mana and mana regen.
And although it's true that drain life has a ridiculously long cooldown, it has a very high burst damage range, very high reach range, and it heals you for the damage dealt. It's something you gotta play with, but one could easily ditch dl for firestorm or lightning. Again these are just my observations through experience with this level.

Zerious
01-05-2011, 03:47 PM
earlier message edited. Info on icestrom is outdated. They changed it after v1.6 was released.