PDA

View Full Version : Map Level Restrictions

Ayrilana
01-02-2011, 10:15 PM
Could you give the option to allow level restriction on hosted games?

The number of low level players joining high level games has been getting out of control. It can be something as simple as a check box on the host screen which enables the restriction based on the suggested level ranges that have been provided. Maybe allow people that are at most 5 levels below to be able to join.

Ex: AO3 is suggested for levels 45-50. Checking the check box on the host screen would mean that only those level 40 and above can enter the game.

superglut2
01-02-2011, 10:44 PM
We rly need that

TwinkTastical
01-02-2011, 11:18 PM
But you were boosted to 50 in ao3 lvl 2, thus, not being able to make that argument.

Nightarcher
01-03-2011, 12:03 AM
But you were boosted to 50 in ao3 lvl 2, thus, not being able to make that argument.

That deduction is incorrect. Ayrilana is asking for a choice to set level restrictions, not prohibiting low levels from entering high dungeons at all. Some people are perfectly happy with boosting others, especially friends. An option for restriction is just easier than booting all the time if you aren't one of those people. :)

Lesrider
01-03-2011, 02:15 AM
They really just need locked games that only invitees can join. The locked games are flawed at the moment, since any friends of any party member can join.

Ursanblessing
01-03-2011, 03:39 AM
and auto-kick idle users after 1 or 2minutes when there are more then 2 in an instance. So when you are alone you can sit down and regenerate your stuff.

Ayrilana
01-03-2011, 10:32 AM

Actually, I did Plasma Pyramid/AO2 maps from 38-46 and then did Crush the Keeper for the rest. Nice assumption though but I can see where you'd get that with how terrible things have been as of late.

Gamelova
01-03-2011, 10:57 AM
They really just need locked games that only invitees can join. The locked games are flawed at the moment, since any friends of any party member can join.

It's really hard for people to make friends online because they can be real ( Insert kind word here ) in online gaming..

Unless critical anti-logical circumstances of that person bondment of the other.

Lesrider
01-03-2011, 11:05 AM
If you play the game the way it's meant to be played (ie. Don't leech, beg for stuff, be a jerk, and give and take advice when needed), it's not hard to make friends. Especially if you're on the forum... You may need to join/create unlocked games until you meet some people, but if you host you can at least boot the ones you don't like and and the good ones you stick with and add to your list for future invites. It's not rocket science.

Edit: Why does iPhone not recognize "ones" as a legit word???? So tired of it correcting it to "one's."

Ayrilana
01-03-2011, 11:17 AM
Edit: Why does iPhone not recognize "ones" as a legit word???? So tired of it correcting it to "one's."

Supposedly you can "teach" the iPhone new words if you use them often. It was suggested that people type the same word repeatedly in the google search box on the Safari browser so it'll update the database.

KingFu
01-03-2011, 11:21 AM
My friend told me a dev said something in the chat box indicating that they will eventually add a requirement for a character to access a dungeon. (I.E. Must be level 20 to access Fathom Crypt, must be level 31 to access Ancient Swamps, etc) I predict it before PC version, very soon before it. To stop Comp Gens :)

Lesrider
01-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Supposedly you can "teach" the iPhone new words if you use them often. It was suggested that people type the same word repeatedly in the google search box on the Safari browser so it'll update the database.

I do that, but I always miss the change and go back to correct it afterwards. It does the same with hell -- I wish autocorrect knew grammar, so it would stop fixing the wrong words!

ProSophist
01-03-2011, 12:09 PM
There is already an option to lock game rooms.
A lot of old players will agree in putting a level limit on maps but I guarantee you that most of them have boosted alts.

Ayrilana
01-03-2011, 12:17 PM
There is already an option to lock game rooms.
A lot of old players will agree in putting a level limit on maps but I guarantee you that most of them have boosted alts.

That's not the same though. A lot of people don't just want to create a locked game and invite those on their friends list. Often other people are already in a game or otherwise busy. This would give the option for players to host a game and get "acceptable" players to help them.

I'm sure some have boosted. There's a difference though. They could boost with friends helping them or they can leech XP in games. The latter is the worse and is why I was calling for the option to have level restrictions.

Gamelova
01-03-2011, 01:03 PM
If you play the game the way it's meant to be played (ie. Don't leech, beg for stuff, be a jerk, and give and take advice when needed), it's not hard to make friends. Especially if you're on the forum... You may need to join/create unlocked games until you meet some people, but if you host you can at least boot the ones you don't like and and the good ones you stick with and add to your list for future invites. It's not rocket science.

Well I see people lonely all the time...

Lesrider
01-03-2011, 01:11 PM
Well I see people lonely all the time...

Maybe you should start a matchup service?

Duke
01-03-2011, 01:12 PM
My friend told me a dev said something in the chat box indicating that they will eventually add a requirement for a character to access a dungeon. (I.E. Must be level 20 to access Fathom Crypt, must be level 31 to access Ancient Swamps, etc) I predict it before PC version, very soon before it. To stop Comp Gens :)

I really doubt this, as the devs have said in the past that they will not restrict anyone by level from playing any content they have purchased.

What the OP is suggesting makes more sense -- allow an option for the game creator to set minimum and/or maximum level requirement to join the game (though it might require a little coding two-step to make sure someone who levels up out of range during play doesn't get booted or prohibited from advancing to the next level).

This would work great in the reverse cases as well. The Toy Factory map, for example -- a group of level 20s farming for level 20 gear can prevent higher-level folks from joining the instance and affecting the mob difficulties and drop levels.

asommers
01-03-2011, 01:35 PM
We'll add a checkbox in 1.7 that can restrict the hosted game to at least the minumum level required by the campaign.

-ALS

Ayrilana
01-03-2011, 01:50 PM
We'll add a checkbox in 1.7 that can restrict the hosted game to at least the minumum level required by the campaign.

-ALS

Thank you!

mrpredalien
01-03-2011, 05:48 PM
Lol,, that would suck for lower level players,
or twinks who are power leveling to farm.
As for me, well.,, I'm not all supportive over it Lol

Ayrilana
01-03-2011, 07:03 PM
Lol,, that would suck for lower level players,
or twinks who are power leveling to farm.
As for me, well.,, I'm not all supportive over it Lol

It just means they'll have to ask for someone to PL them rather than leech XP. I doubt it'll be enforced much in lower campaigns since AO3 is where the majority of the problem is at the moment.

Sanatorium
01-03-2011, 09:35 PM
Don't be so mean to people dude.
If you don't want them in your game just boot them, it's not that hard.
Stop trying to make this game against noobs, let them level up and let them have their fun.
Boot button's there, problem solves.

Lesrider
01-03-2011, 10:02 PM
Fluevy, this new option will simply allow players to create the game they want with less booting. What could anyone, besides the leeches, possibly have against that?

baktus
01-04-2011, 02:07 AM
Back to the post theme; Level restrictions or not

Most of you neglect the opposite idea;

How often have you joined a game in a zone that is your own level - and being booted by some high level (insert own negative word here)?

I suggest a new kind of level restriction; high level hosts CAN NOT boot a - or restrict entrance for - players that meet the zone's level. I'm so tired of L50 players making low level games and booting us that were meant to level up in this zone.

Why do the L50 make low level games? To get easy loot and sell - thereby corrupting the game economy and making rare pinks less rare.

With this argument in fact I think high levels should be prevented from getting loot from zones 5 levels below their own level. That would leave the high level gamers who actually are in the game to help the struggling players.

Lesrider
01-04-2011, 07:00 AM
Baktus, stop flooding every thread with this idea. No one will agree with you. You may like the idea for 5 minutes, but wait until you're level 50 with nothing to do.

Gamelova
01-04-2011, 07:18 AM

-ALS

Just boot them if you still don't want the level 50 or lower to the minimum level of that campaign...

baktus
01-04-2011, 10:18 AM
Baktus, stop flooding every thread with this idea. No one will agree with you. You may like the idea for 5 minutes, but wait until you're level 50 with nothing to do.

Lesrider zoom out. Then you will see that flodding the market with low level pinks farmed by high level players does nothing good to a game.

Ayrilana
01-04-2011, 02:05 PM
Lesrider zoom out. Then you will see that flodding the market with low level pinks farmed by high level players does nothing good to a game.

This is Pocket Legends and not Pocket Market. Maybe there's a market app similar to Farmville that's more to your liking. Flooding the market helps low levels get gear for cheap prices.

Spamming your suggestion in countless threads is kind of rude.

Ravenous
01-05-2011, 09:50 AM
Was about to post this same suggestion; however, I think the host should be able to enter the minimum (or maximum) level of players allowed to join the group.

-Derek

mycroftxxx
01-09-2011, 07:47 PM

You have plenty to do. Like any other game, once you've “won” you can always play again (i.e. start a new character).

And for the record, even though I have two level 50 characters, I completely agree about preventing high level characters from screwing around in low level dungeons.

Fyrce
01-09-2011, 08:42 PM
OMG, just start your own game already, Baktus. And invite your own friends.

As for level restrictions, an option seems sort of ok.

I would hate to see a required level restriction, because even if you are NOT boosting a toon, playing in the next higher dungeon above your level isn't always leeching. I can guarantee all of my toons can survive as is and solo the next higher dungeon outside their level range. This is generally what I do. I move on based on quests, not levels, and generally have no trouble with at least the next campaign. So my level 8 is ok in Dark Forest, my level 12 in Balefort, etc. It depends a bit on the campaign but having a hard level restriction would mean my toons play in areas much too easy for them. And I suspect there are other players like this as well.

Hmm...where was I where a bunch of level teens killed snowmen fine but the level 31 bird kept dying...?

Ayrilana
01-09-2011, 08:45 PM
I can see what you're saying but I doubt people will use the option on lower dungeons. I think it'll primarily be used on AO3 maps.

Pharcyde
01-09-2011, 08:55 PM
OMG, just start your own game already, Baktus. And invite your own friends.

As for level restrictions, an option seems sort of ok.

I would hate to see a required level restriction, because even if you are NOT boosting a toon, playing in the next higher dungeon above your level isn't always leeching. I can guarantee all of my toons can survive as is and solo the next higher dungeon outside their level range. This is generally what I do. I move on based on quests, not levels, and generally have no trouble with at least the next campaign. So my level 8 is ok in Dark Forest, my level 12 in Balefort, etc. It depends a bit on the campaign but having a hard level restriction would mean my toons play in areas much too easy for them. And I suspect there are other players like this as well.

Hmm...where was I where a bunch of level teens killed snowmen fine but the level 31 bird kept dying...?

Level restrictions wouldn't be strict. Not like a lvl 44 couldn't get into ao3. What we all mean by level restriction is a level 1 can't get into ao3 and such. How many times have you been in ao3 and a lvl 21 joins in level 10 gear? *Raises hand*

mycroftxxx
01-09-2011, 11:04 PM
Level restrictions wouldn't be strict. Not like a lvl 44 couldn't get into ao3. What we all mean by level restriction is a level 1 can't get into ao3 and such. How many times have you been in ao3 and a lvl 21 joins in level 10 gear? *Raises hand*

I actually did see a level 1 in AO3. “Please don't boot me.” Well, no.

bladesword
01-10-2011, 02:47 AM
Twinks right :P Everyone here when they started was supported by atleast 1 max level cap character.... so not allowing that makes it that the supporting newbies dun go on.... But yeh, not allowing lv30s in ao3 is valid i suppose..

Lesrider
01-10-2011, 07:16 AM
Twinks right :P Everyone here when they started was supported by atleast 1 max level cap character.... so not allowing that makes it that the supporting newbies dun go on.... But yeh, not allowing lv30s in ao3 is valid i suppose..

Uh, no. Some of us played the game through on our own with people the same level as us. Not everyone got boosted or leeched. Just because you can't imagine anyone doing it, doesn't mean we didn't.

drewcapu
01-10-2011, 10:46 AM

-ALS

Checkbox isn't really enough.

There might as well be an option to set a max level.

(To go a step further, having a set of create game loadouts would be even better!)

For instance in the Winter Festival, it can be rough if you have less than 5 in a L10 Factory then turn a corner only to be faced with L50 Snowmen, etc.

Run away! Run away!

I'll admit, this would be most useful in campaigns that scale to the party's level.

superglut2
01-10-2011, 04:16 PM
Checkbox would still help tons

Pharcyde
01-10-2011, 05:47 PM
Checkbox isn't really enough.

There might as well be an option to set a max level.

(To go a step further, having a set of create game loadouts would be even better!)

For instance in the Winter Festival, it can be rough if you have less than 5 in a L10 Factory then turn a corner only to be faced with L50 Snowmen, etc.

Run away! Run away!

I'll admit, this would be most useful in campaigns that scale to the party's level.

I don't really get what your saying, Less then 5 in a level 10 dungeon with lvl 50 snowmen?

Duke
01-11-2011, 09:18 AM
I don't really get what your saying, Less then 5 in a level 10 dungeon with lvl 50 snowmen?

As an example, the "Factory" level in the recent Winter special area would scale enemies and drops to the highest level character in the party. Now, let's say you've got four level 10s running around, doing the quests for the snowman helm or farming, whatever. All of the sudden, in the middle of a fight with a bunch of mobs, a level 50 joins the game. INSTANTLY, the enemies scale up to level 50 mobs, and the party wipes.

Yes, I've been there. And yes, it's bloody annoying.

StompArtist
01-11-2011, 09:19 AM
As an example, the "Factory" level in the recent Winter special area would scale enemies and drops to the highest level character in the party. Now, let's say you've got four level 10s running around, doing the quests for the snowman helm or farming, whatever. All of the sudden, in the middle of a fight with a bunch of mobs, a level 50 joins the game. INSTANTLY, the enemies scale up to level 50 mobs, and the party wipes.

Yes, I've been there. And yes, it's bloody annoying.

I must confess to randomly popping into lower level games for a minute when I got bored just to annoy them. :D

player5123
01-11-2011, 03:10 PM
Well, Yeah I agree. The high level areas are high lvl for a reason. The high lvls areas are a reward for their HARD work up to that point. If the low lvls want access to those areas then they will need to work hard in order to get their reward. But I mean yeah some people want to boost other people up if their friends, but lets just say thing would be better if we can INVITE the low lvls instead of them coming in willy nilly lol