PDA

View Full Version : Which Igns have you guys reserved already?

Advance
05-10-2010, 01:47 AM
I have over twenty one worded ign reserved, for future use, or for sale.

Do any of you guys have this habit of hogging good names In a new game?

setec
05-10-2010, 02:33 AM
Is this your way if advertising? So, how would you even sell a char name? The char is tied to your account.

Obliteration
05-10-2010, 03:03 AM
Wow you have over twenty, great job making 10 accounts and creating
10 useless text documents on the host server.
Trying to make profit off of the game is also cheap.
Even if it's for ingame items.

KingFu
05-10-2010, 03:32 AM
Is this your way if advertising? So, how would you even sell a char name? The char is tied to your account.

you can delete your character, so basically get paid to delete your character, which I wouldn't buy unless it was like 2 bucks. A waste of time if you ask me!

Royce
05-10-2010, 06:25 AM
you can delete your character, so basically get paid to delete your character, which I wouldn't buy unless it was like 2 bucks. A waste of time if you ask me!

I'm assuming the guy actually got each of these names on separate accounts. That way he can just sell the login info. Plus a new account is free, while additional characters on your existing account are not. There's no guarantee that deleting a character will free up the name. Even if it does, it would probably not be immediate, and there would be no way of assuring that the person trying to get the name would receive it. Still a waste of time though. I guess maybe when this game blows up and there are no good names left, maybe there would be some profit in this. I wonder if there is an official or unofficial policy about users having multiple accounts...

TheBaconKing
05-10-2010, 12:19 PM
I wonder if there is an official or unofficial policy about users having multiple accounts...

It would be nice, but there is no way to enforce it. Anyone can go out and make another free email address, and thats all you really need.

haroldiv
05-10-2010, 12:25 PM
wow... really?

douche

setec
05-10-2010, 04:17 PM
I'm assuming the guy actually got each of these names on separate accounts. That way he can just sell the login info. Plus a new account is free, while additional characters on your existing account are not. There's no guarantee that deleting a character will free up the name. Even if it does, it would probably not be immediate, and there would be no way of assuring that the person trying to get the name would receive it. Still a waste of time though. I guess maybe when this game blows up and there are no good names left, maybe there would be some profit in this. I wonder if there is an official or unofficial policy about users having multiple accounts...

FYI, I had done this. I signed up with a char on Fnord but accidentally picked the wrong class. I deleted that char and the name was available instantly for me to use again.

flaimdude
05-10-2010, 05:09 PM
So i herd u liek name saving...

But srsly, dude wtf?

Advance
05-10-2010, 05:35 PM
Well first of all, some of tese igns I will use for myself, but I done this in other mmos that were in beta, and when I come back a few months later, the game is huge, and rich people pay lots of money for single worded igns with meanings.

Call me a douche if you want, but I suggest you do the same.

flaimdude
05-10-2010, 05:50 PM
1) You posted it on the forums. That's like, practically begging the devs to come and ban you, haha.
2) You encouraged other people to do the same. That's like, telling someone you're gonna go rob a bank without a mask and asking other people to help you. XD

Advance
05-10-2010, 05:54 PM
Is having multiple charachters against the rules?
Please direct me to that rule, or perhaps a mod can come in here and shed some light on this matter.

LordRaid
05-10-2010, 08:14 PM
1) You posted it on the forums. That's like, practically begging the devs to come and ban you, haha.
2) You encouraged other people to do the same. That's like, telling someone you're gonna go rob a bank without a mask and asking other people to help you. XD

What haroldiv and flamin said (and what flamin said up there too ^)

Fail.

nerdherd
05-10-2010, 09:34 PM
Not cool at all. It's hard enough to even find a name that isn't taken, now you're just adding to the problem.

SlipperyJim
05-11-2010, 04:34 AM
Wow, name squatting? Seriously? Y'know, that had never crossed my mind.

Probably because I'm not a scammer....

The Devs should cause inactive characters to timeout and be deleted. Any character over lvl 13 could be immune, which would separate the real players from the name-squatting scammers. That would fix this problem....

Esus
06-01-2010, 08:57 PM
Aw nothing defines the word Scum better than this guys name squatting

Dizko
06-01-2010, 09:03 PM
Theres not one other person who is for this. Can't anything be done?

zorprimus
06-01-2010, 09:14 PM
Gotta be a rule against this, funny this guy admits to being a wank...oh wait, I can see the rich people lining up to buy all those names, oh nm it's just some dork wanting to be the only one I this game to be called D'rizzt.

Advance
06-01-2010, 09:16 PM
TBH, I think theloneaecher would enjoy your loving attention more, but do continue.

Dizko
06-01-2010, 09:23 PM
TBH, I think theloneaecher would enjoy your loving attention more, but do continue.

Nice try.

Trying to re-direct the attention to another numpty.

At least thelonearcher's madness benifits us, and will ultimately improve the game.

What you are doing is nothing but grieving.

Advance
06-01-2010, 09:25 PM
He was simply an example, nice try.

I'll be sure to read all of your witty comments when I finish studying.

-Adv

Dizko
06-01-2010, 09:26 PM
There's nothing witty about it.

The entire community agrees that what you are doing is not wanted.

flaimdude
06-01-2010, 10:26 PM
He was simply an example, nice try.

I'll be sure to read all of your witty comments when I finish studying.

-Adv

Ah, I love witty comments! And what are you studying, how to be an internet troll by Ima Iddeot?

Gwendaline
06-01-2010, 10:42 PM
i have over twenty one worded ign reserved, for future use, or for sale.

Do any of you guys have this habit of hogging good names in a new game?

bleed!!!!!!!!!!!! Advanced!!!! Bleed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm comin for you!!!!!!!!!!

HectorCruz
06-01-2010, 11:23 PM
hey, good luck studying Advance.

Gusy I gotz liek, 50 names I'm squatin'...all da best ones u coudnt git!!1!

Not really...but I think OmarCruz is available...I'm in need of a crony/sidekick/compatriot/associate.

At least thelonearcher's madness benifits us, and will ultimately improve the game.

I'm really heartened by the fact that you referred to it as "madness." It sounds like he doesn't want to spend thousands of presidents on gold...but he just HAS to. You should definitely include "The Madness" in The History of Alterra. You have proven to be quite the talented wordsmith; truly the voice of a generation. I look forward to reading your future work.

Advance
06-01-2010, 11:31 PM
Anyways, ignoring all the trolls, how are you guys planning on stopping more people like me "name squatting" as you call it.

There is rarely- if ever a case where a MMORPG has a inactivity wipe policy.

You can try to push it to the devs, but you might be turning off more players than what i was doing then.
"well you're just contributing to the problem you stupid name squatter"
So, my question to you guys is: how are you going to contribute to a solution?

Gwendaline
06-01-2010, 11:43 PM
Anyways, ignoring all the trolls, how are you guys planning on stopping more people like me "name squatting" as you call it.

You can try to push it to the devs, but you might be turning off more players than what i was doing then.

By Making you BLEED!!!! out of your AAnus by Kicking IT CONTINUALLY ON A DAILY BASIS!! Plus We got pull. If you keep it up. We will take a vote...... And you will disappear.

nerdherd
06-01-2010, 11:43 PM
After reading what others have said, I'm going to take a different approach now. I think you should buy as many character slots as you can and think up all kinds of cool names to "reserve" for the future. The more money you spend, the more content I get. Sounds good to me. Good luck trying to sell them!

Avadonna
06-01-2010, 11:50 PM

I know how you can contribute, buy my name. Everyone wants to be Avadonna.

/sarcasm

Furrawn
06-02-2010, 12:02 AM

I'm almost always gentle & polite...
BUT you are a sadistic moron, honestly.

You're out in the game doing nasty stuff and then you come on here to taunt the community? You further your asinine behavior by suggesting we join you? Are you for real?

Too bad there's not an EJECT button...
Oh... Wait... There is- the developers have the eject button...
So...see you around NEVER.

Gwendaline
06-02-2010, 12:08 AM

I'm almost always gentle & polite...
BUT you are a sadistic moron, honestly.

You're out in the game doing nasty stuff and then you come on here to taunt the community? You further your asinine behavior by suggesting we join you? Are you for real?

Too bad there's not an EJECT button...
Oh... Wait... There is- the developers have the eject button...
So...see you around NEVER.

By Making you BLEED!!!! out of your AAnus by Kicking IT CONTINUALLY ON A DAILY BASIS!! Plus We got pull. If you keep it up. We will take a vote...... And you will disappear.

I completely agree with you Furrawn and Gwendaline. This Advanced Character Is sick In HiS HEAD!!! He'll get what is coming to him. or her.../ and or herm... shh! Bahahahaha!

asommers
06-02-2010, 12:15 AM
Locking this thread. As I mentioned in another thread, my solution is:

Shouldn't be too hard to have the server recommend names close to what you originally entered. We will add this for 1.3.

-ALS