PDA

View Full Version : Total phone freeze @ level loading - Nexus S

mclark
01-08-2011, 10:12 PM
Hi. I started playing Pocket Legends on my brand new Nexus S. I was really enjoying it, but it's frozen my phone 3 times now, requiring me to pull the back off my phone and disconnect the battery to unfreeze it.

Every time the phone froze, I was on a level loading screen ("tap to continue..."). None of the phone's buttons were responsive after the freezeup, not even holding down the power button.

I can't keep pulling the back off my phone as it's kind of wimpy plastic on the Nexus S and it'll wear out the clips.

Any ideas?

supremo502
01-09-2011, 07:10 AM
Did u try...... Reinstalling??!?

Wysee
01-09-2011, 11:01 AM
Indeed, try reinstalling. Not sure how it is on that phone, but if you have a process manager, check what you have running. If there's to much running it could be running out of memory.

mclark
01-09-2011, 06:49 PM
No luck guys. I cleared prefs, reinstalled and rebooted, and it still locked on the first loading screen.

I have 211mb RAM free. That should be enough, right?

Zeus
01-09-2011, 06:56 PM
No luck guys. I cleared prefs, reinstalled and rebooted, and it still locked on the first loading screen.

I have 211mb RAM free. That should be enough, right?

That should be enough, but the thing is when you enter crowded towns and whatnot, the memory demand increases thus possibly resulting in a crash. Try restoring your phone? Because I believe the nexus one has 512 mb of RAM and the operating system only uses like 100? If you are using live wallpapers too that is not recommended while playing PL.

mclark
01-09-2011, 09:26 PM
The task manager built into the OS shows 300 MB total, 220 free. Research indicates that the rest of the 512 is reserved for the operating system. I've shut down all processes and live wallpaper and it still locks up on loading screens. :(

mclark
01-11-2011, 06:28 AM
Anyone else playing successfully on a Nexus S?

asommers
01-12-2011, 12:18 AM
Are there any firmware updates for your device? Is the phone hot?

-ALS

mclark
01-12-2011, 09:29 PM
Are there any firmware updates for your device? Is the phone hot?

-ALS

I am all up to date on Android and firmware. It's a stock phone, not rooted or modded. It's about 5 days old. The Nexus S model itself is very new, I think it was released less than a month ago.

The phone does warm up while playing, but it is not uncomfortably hot. If it were purely overheating, I would expect it to lock up at random points during the game, not just at the level loading screens.

The model is so new ... I wonder if in a month or two, some other people might have the same problem ... or maybe my phone came off the line a little gimpy (it happens sometimes ;).

However, I've played a few other graphics intensive games, and they have not locked up.

asommers
01-13-2011, 02:05 AM
The app should has absolutely no control over the Home button. That is handled by the hardware/OS. I'm not sure why this would happen, and we haven't seen it on any devices here (although we don't have a Nexus S).

-ALS

mclark
01-13-2011, 10:12 AM
The app should has absolutely no control over the Home button.
I'm not having any particular problem with the Home button, though. Every single function of the phone is frozen. I guess you mean to point out that Android shouldn't/doesn't let an app cause such a catastrophic failure even if it wanted to... which points to a fault in the OS/phone.

C.Alexander
02-15-2011, 05:11 PM
I am having the same issues... I pretty much have to play with the battery door off if I want to play for when that happens. I have also emailed the dev team and hope that it gets resolved soon...

C.Alexander
02-26-2011, 12:54 PM
*bump*

Has anyone figured out what causes this issue?

I have done what the OP did as well and in an email to the support staff they said the same thing. Clear data, cache, and play and see if it happens. And if it did to uninstal and try again. I did and it still happens. Which it would just force close so a report could be sent.

The freesing up really leaves the phone useless, nothing will work. Not even the hardware buttons like volume or to shut the screen off work either.

I hope this gets fixed soon... as Android 2.3 is now rolling out to the Nexus One.

TwinkTastical
02-26-2011, 01:22 PM
Sigh.... Why the hell would you bump.

Diodge
02-26-2011, 03:07 PM
They bumped because there is something going on.
Im on a motorola milestone android.
Im haveing problems with my phone shutting off when playing PL. I play other games and I dont get the shut down.
e-mails and trying things . now

I even went back and deleted my sd card to clean. Set phone back to almost stock. I have one modd/skin running and that is all.
1500+songs deleted. all games deleted. no root. no overclock. 2.1. Locked bootloader.
I have nothing but PL and alogcat. I down graded this phone hard core.
((When I had my phone tweeked and way over clocked. I never had a problem ))When Sewers came out it started lockin up.

TwinkTastical
02-26-2011, 03:52 PM
The thread was dead for TWO weeks.

WhoIsThis
02-27-2011, 06:58 PM
Same here - Samsung Epic 4G that I bought off of Ebay (brand new, ever used before when I bought it). This issue seems to be across many phones. I have tested multiple custom ROMs on this phone.

However, the problem for me is that the phone seems to freeze during the levels themselves after about 1-2 hours of sustained play rather than loading.

C.Alexander
02-28-2011, 12:50 AM
I didn't want to be a pain by making a big stink about it, I'm sure no one is crying about the issue, and I didn't think that bump would rub anyone the wrong way.

I'm sorry other people are having the issue and the other one of freezing during game play. I hope it gets resolved soon. There's no way, yet at least that I know of, to find a crash file of some sort to be able to sens to the dev team. Hopefully the patch is something minor that can be fixed with relative ease once identified.