PDA

View Full Version : How can I check what's taking up my internet speed?

Ellyidol
01-13-2011, 04:37 AM
So yeah title says it all.

My net is usually slow enough for me to tell if something is going on. Ie a YouTube video or any sort of streaming. But lately it's just been slow with no activity going on.

I usually get 300-500 ping on PL and it's been at least 1k-5k recently. Is there a way to check what's taking up my speed? Since my computers are off and its really just my ipad on.

Thanks!

Omglolwtfbbq
01-13-2011, 05:27 AM
Log in on your router and look for something that shows your bandwidth usage or something. You can also set up a computer to monitor all internet traffic, your internet devices connect to your computer first which is connected to the router... Never tried that, too much work :P

Ellyidol
01-13-2011, 05:31 AM
Ok will google how to do both :p

Was thinking maybe there was a site, much like how you can check your speed.

Riccits
01-13-2011, 05:39 AM
i use a app called "speed test" on iphone... it makes ping test, up/down speed test... may it helps...

Ellyidol
01-13-2011, 05:42 AM
Yup I do too. It tells me its slow but I dont know whats taking it up :p

Junside
01-13-2011, 08:43 AM
On 3G network? From which service? Regardless, you could always reboot your phone, deactivate some apps that automatically start on startup (like skype), force close all other running apps with a task killer.

Skimmed through the post. I don't know if you can, but if you could use your phone as a 3G hotspot, that could work.

Arterra
01-13-2011, 09:10 AM
you can ctr-alt-delete on computers and remove processes that take up bandwidth with constant internet connection. maybe some antivirus that constantly seeks updates, idk. or a virus, you could have that.

unplug/turn off computer, tell us results.

Ellyidol
01-13-2011, 09:43 AM
@Jun

Wifi, sorry for not specifying.

@Arterra

Will try those out! How do you know if a process is using internet?

Thanks so much! :)

Riccits
01-13-2011, 09:58 AM
@Jun

Wifi, sorry for not specifying.

@Arterra

Will try those out! How do you know if a process is using internet?

Thanks so much! :)

u cant be sure that a process does... :-/
kill first all proceses wich runs under ur user...
for the rest u may search with google for..

Arterra
01-13-2011, 10:14 AM
u cant be sure that a process does... :-/
kill first all proceses wich runs under ur user...
for the rest u may search with google for..

yea you just got to trust instincts. stuff like apple updater or google updater (updater anything) are annoying in general.

Echelong
01-13-2011, 10:18 AM
Go to www.pingtest.net This will help you sort out your actual ping and if you have jitter or packet loss.

If you have jitter then someone or a program might be using your wifi or maybe it could be your provider.

If you have packet loss then it means all the things you send are not received and viceversa.

Another tip is to close all apps other than PL when you are playing this is very important if you have your phone jailbroken with backgrounder since all the apps keep running.

Also apps like Palringo (on PC or phone) drain a lot of data and can (will) make you lagg.

sinha
05-13-2011, 10:57 PM
Hi
Thanks dude
When i searched,I found this site to test my internet speed http://www.ip-details.com/internet-speed-test/ .And you are Right Someone else was sharing my connenction now its cleared.

venmalathy
09-19-2011, 10:39 PM
Thanks for sharing........................................... ......

Doubletime
09-20-2011, 10:23 AM
Go to www.pingtest.net This will help you sort out your actual ping and if you have jitter or packet loss.

If you have jitter then someone or a program might be using your wifi or maybe it could be your provider.

If you have packet loss then it means all the things you send are not received and viceversa.

Another tip is to close all apps other than PL when you are playing this is very important if you have your phone jailbroken with backgrounder since all the apps keep running.

Also apps like Palringo (on PC or phone) drain a lot of data and can (will) make you lagg.

Thread highjack -- Ech making an appearance. What's up bro!

Thread unhighjacked.