PDA

View Full Version : New Healer

Mendya
01-13-2011, 10:01 AM
Hey all! I just started playing yesterday and am enjoying the game so far. I used to play a priest in WoW (stopped a few years ago after I got married) and rolled a healer in this game. Just played through the first dungeon yesterday...after having bad groups for a while just running ahead I finally got in a great group w/ a tank that knew what to do and some good DPS. I was mostly able to keep everyone alive so I was happy with that.

Anyway, I found this game looking for a free MMO and was super excited about it when I first started reading. However, I than found out that you have to use real money to get certain gear and do other things...which I would prefer not to do.

My question is this: What is the platinum required to do? Besides buying expasions can I fully enjoy this game w/o spending real money? I read stuff on the forums talking about respecing costing real $$$ which would be disapointing since playing w/ specs was one of my favorite things to do in WoW. However, I wasn't sure if this mean just the points spent on abilities or for stats too. I am thinking that it is just for abilities since I saw buttons to decrease certain stats (so far I am pure int), but was not sure.

Can someone shed the light on this for me? I might not mind spending money to get more dugeons and such since there is no monthly fee, but if I need to spend real money to get the best gear or to respec I may not want to keep with this game.

Thanks in advance!

Arterra
01-13-2011, 10:10 AM
you basically only need to buy the later dungeons to keep playing. honestly you could survive off the equivalent of one monthly fee on WoW (20 bucks right?) and just enjoy for months, as long as you dont go crazy like the rest of us and get vanity hats, max out inventory and stash size, and easy to use low level plat store items (really items that drop are always better than ones in store, but those are easier to pick up and use for lower levels)

as for stats and respeccing, once you find your purpose and build you are set until you get bored. if you are looking for a sort of hybrid or mix of more than one build, you can try out dual specing (using lower level gear to boost up stats to required level of top gear, therefore being able to put half and half of stats in two builds) and therefore have two roles instead of one. currently i am a gun wielding mage who can turn to aoe staff user in a second. a week ago i was pally aoe nightmare that could switch to high damage staff. really up to your tastes, very customizable.

Mendya
01-13-2011, 10:30 AM
it's $15 a month, but I paid for 6 months at at a time which was cheaper, but anyway...

i have never been into the vanity stuff so that isn't a problem for me. If the purchased gear is just to make it eaiser to farm the better dropped gear I don't mind the extra challenge.

So which part costs real money? changing stats and/or changing skills? I am thinking I want to just be a pure healer since that is what I enjoyed most in WoW, but I am afraid I will spec into certain skills I don't need and either have to reroll or spend real $$$ to fix that.

Echelong
01-13-2011, 10:38 AM
In PL the good thing is you pay for plat nto monthly. You can buy the $30 package which gives you enough money to buy all the pve and pvp campaigns. You can also have enough for a few respecs and plat to buy the next expansion. With the $20 one you can do all that but have less remaining at the end.

Coming from a WoW player on the gilneas server this game is very enjoyable and does not require the amount of time raids did on WoW. Also here the enchantress is not like the priests, it is a mix of Warlock, Paladin, Mage and priest all in one.

PS Don't buy the gear with platinum its not worth it there are better stuff at the CS or as we used to call it the AH. Located in Balefort town.

Mendya
01-13-2011, 01:28 PM
thanks for the info. When I get home I will look into how much the different content stuff costs and decide if I want to continue forward.

I understand the enchantress plays like a hybrid of most casting classes in WoW, but I'm saying I enjoy healing most and would like to primarily due that with this toon. I also had a warrior and enjoyed tanking so I will probably roll one of those in my second free slot and see what it's like in this game. I've never been into pure DPS classes so the archer isn't too interesting to me. I was never much of a raider in WoW (a little MC back in the day and some Kara and SSC in BC...never got WotLK), but these short PvE sessions are what appeal to me most in this game.

I'm also wondering, I understand I was playing the first dungeon so its obviously easy, but how complex does it get as you level further? I imagine that most encounters are pretty much tank and spanks, but I wasn't sure since I am only level 10 or something and have only seen the first area.

If anyone is interested my name here (Mendya) is also my healer's name in the game so friend me if you are looking for a (currently low level) healer.

Thanks again!

Pandamoni
01-13-2011, 01:32 PM
I think I've spent $5 or $10 and can enjoy all the PVE areas. I don't like PVP (stresses me out and I'm not a truly competitive person) so I didn't spend the plat. on those areas. I've been playing since Nov. or Dec. and still enjoying it.

Echelong
01-13-2011, 01:51 PM
Well if you are not into pvp then get the $10 platinum offer and with it I think you can buy all areas. With the enchantress you will be doing a lot of healing it is imo the most fun class to leveling mostly because you don't depend on pots that much. As far as more challenging this game is mostly for the people that liked WoW but don't have the time. You could like the higher end areas.

I remember the good ol'days when Ragnaros was almost unbeatable and you had to farm green items with FR and no stats only to survive and my wife yelling on the background. Good memories lol.

Mendya
01-13-2011, 02:37 PM
I was never much of a PvPer so maybe I will just buy the PvE content (at least for now) and save some money. Thanks for the suggestion pandamoni.

haha, I joined late (game was out for at least a year) and I was still leveling when my guild first took down Rag. My bro was there for the first kill and said it was one of the most exciting days of his life since it was such a long challenging road getting there. They were on farm/speed mode by the time I was able to gear up with green FR gear. Man that was a long time ago...I was still a bachelor and living at home when raiding MC.

Echelong
01-13-2011, 02:47 PM
its been about 6 years since that. Indeed a long time. You will enjoy the game it is a less stressful MMO. And level up the enchantress first you will have more money in the end since its easier to level and no matter the group composition you can do every roll as an enchantress. With a tank some areas are hard without a healer unless you waste your money on pots.