PDA

View Full Version : Changes to the Chat Filter

Remiem
07-31-2014, 10:34 AM
Hey all,

I've noticed a lot of threads popping up after the recent changes to the chat filter. Let me help explain what's going on there. :)

The list of unapproved words hasn't actually changed. However, anything on the "bad words" list used to trigger a silent mute, meaning that you would not receive a message when your chat was flagged. We decided that this could be confusing to players, so we switched it over to a regular mute. This is what you guys are seeing now. Now, when you say a word that triggers the chat filter you will receive a message explaining that you have been muted. The other change here is that multiple mutes will trigger a 24 hour ban.

What we are realizing with this new change is that there might be some words on our profanity list that could stand to come off, have separate meanings in other languages, etc. Based on your feedback, we are reviewing the list and will clean it up as much as possible. HOWEVER. Profanity still isn't something we want running rampant in Arcane Legends and we will continue to do what we can to keep it under control. Please remember that "No Profanity" is one of the first rules on our list and we're sticking to that. So, you will see the chat filter lighten up over the coming days, but do understand that if you continue to trigger it you will still receive a temporary ban. There are so many creative words you can use other than profanity. For reference, here are a few of my favorites:

"Barnicles!" "Banana Shenanigans!" "Dang Rabbit!" "Oh Snap!" "Crikey!" "Avada Kedavra!" "Jabberwockies!" "Holy Macaroni!" "Arrrrggghhhh!" "Shamalama!"

;D Challenge:Try out a few of those in PvP and see if you can start a trend.

Thanks for playing, and as always, keep it friendly out there!

Remiem

Covert
07-31-2014, 10:36 AM
Lol

JaytB
07-31-2014, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the heads up.

I avoid chatting in my own language (Dutch) as much as possible. Many innocent words mean something totally nasty in English.

Ssneakykills
07-31-2014, 10:41 AM
Holy macaroni <---- Personal favourite lmao

lethaljade
07-31-2014, 10:42 AM
Oh nuuu, Im scared to speak how many mutes resorts in a temporary ban ? Theres a glitch with this app on many android devices where we are unable too see what we are typing, we kinder have to guess we typed everything correctly and hit send, could you possibly look into this, ive had this problem for months, and after mentioning to other people seems like a common problem, it also results of recent in alot of mutes, but whats frustrating is we have no idea what we were muted for, unknown if its a typo or a word classed as profanity, very confusing.

Arachnophobik
07-31-2014, 10:43 AM
The new filter is barnacles!! Ive been getting mutes all over my ding dong and it wont stop annoying my busted hats!
Lol wow. That does sound clever and more creative XD

Bunny♥
07-31-2014, 10:43 AM
lol, thanks. Now i get it why i cant receive some pms as well before these changes was made, thought it just bugged x)

Remiem
07-31-2014, 10:52 AM
Oh nuuu, Im scared to speak how many mutes resorts in a temporary ban ? Theres a glitch with this app on many android devices where we are unable too see what we are typing, we kinder have to guess we typed everything correctly and hit send, could you possibly look into this, ive had this problem for months, and after mentioning to other people seems like a common problem, it also results of recent in alot of mutes, but whats frustrating is we have no idea what we were muted for, unknown if its a typo or a word classed as profanity, very confusing.

It is 3 mutes = 24 hour ban. I'll definitely pass that bug along to QA and see if they can reproduce it. It would also help to know what kind of device you are using.

Madnex
07-31-2014, 10:57 AM
Thanks.

Boltmage
07-31-2014, 10:59 AM
Remien sack all the mods and just do it all yourself! Simple explanation, well worded, good manners. +10 Why couldn't the other guy just say this instead of trying to make us play DL?

Remiem - Awesome

phillyr
07-31-2014, 11:03 AM
U can fix it by putting your finger at the top of the page and holding it there. Like you would if you were going to copy and paste. The words come back after that.

ClumsyCactus
07-31-2014, 12:09 PM
You kidding me?! Excuse me for saying, but there is no stress relief in saying "jabberwockies" also,3 mutes are Way too Low, i get muted atleast 2 Times everyday without swearing...
Just Cuz of mistypes and words in my language.
Buut, thanks for the explenation ^^

Instanthumor
07-31-2014, 12:12 PM
Shamalama...

Dex Scene
07-31-2014, 12:58 PM
Nice. Lmao at those creative words. Holy macaroni!!

Fyrce
07-31-2014, 01:30 PM
Bah!
Ack!
Hrm
Grrrr
Ah!
Ommm
Mmmm
!@$^!@%

basketholic209
07-31-2014, 01:58 PM
U can fix it by putting your finger at the top of the page and holding it there. Like you would if you were going to copy and paste. The words come back after that.

Yep, I was going to suggest the same thing :)

inkredible
07-31-2014, 05:10 PM
Here's mine

"I don't give a flying monkeys fart !"
I heard that from my highschool teacher :)

inkredible
07-31-2014, 05:14 PM
It is 3 mutes = 24 hour ban. I'll definitely pass that bug along to QA and see if they can reproduce it. It would also help to know what kind of device you are using.

I got muted three times in a row .. I said some expression another word for "donkey" and right when I got unmuted
I said a letter F and a K which IDIDNT know is added to filters.. So I got muted again. And then after I got unmuted I said
"Poop" in a diff language , a spelling that wasn't in filter either ... But now it is "poop I got muted again " and so I got muted again but I'm guessing the 24 hour banned wasn't applied then ? I wasn't banned luckily..

Morholt
07-31-2014, 05:36 PM
U can fix it by putting your finger at the top of the page and holding it there. Like you would if you were going to copy and paste. The words come back after that.Doesn't work on my device.
However, opening the keyboard's settings will fix it on my device.

(Just pointing out an alternative method, in case Jade's device is like mine.)

On topic: you mean when we say "girlfriend," instead of not showing the word to everyone else, it gets us muted?
I prefer the old system then...
Heck, if we used that entirely for actual profanity, then we could play without hassling mutes AND the other players would still not see the words. And all the immature kids would be too dumb to realize we can't see what they're saying.

Also, I'll have you know Disney owns the rights to the Jabberwocky's name, image, and any variations of such, and they will NOT tolerate you using it in such a slanderous meaning, Remiem! :P

Serancha
07-31-2014, 07:33 PM

3 mutes in what timeframe?

Schnitzel
07-31-2014, 10:31 PM
PvP, a week later:
Player A: *dies* Macaroni!
Player B: I like Mac and cheese...

epicrrr
08-01-2014, 02:05 AM
I cant believe i say "barnicles" with a spongebob voice in my mind.

Thrindal
08-01-2014, 05:30 AM

This happens to me on my Nexus 7. I am usually fine when I freshly start the app but I quickly end up in the blind chat. Not sure exactly what triggers it. Maybe restart of the ap from the background aps or leaving chat without posting not really sure.

Now I very rarely get muted although this did happen once to me yesterday.

Remiem
08-01-2014, 12:06 PM
Update: It is 5 mutes before you receive a 24 hour ban.

Covert
08-01-2014, 03:14 PM

So back to what it was before?

Stick to the theme and remove *** and gay from mute list please.

bloodjob
08-01-2014, 04:49 PM
Lol...

aarrgggggg
08-01-2014, 06:02 PM
Hey all,

I've noticed a lot of threads popping up after the recent changes to the chat filter. Let me help explain what's going on there. :)

The list of unapproved words hasn't actually changed. However, anything on the "bad words" list used to trigger a silent mute, meaning that you would not receive a message when your chat was flagged. We decided that this could be confusing to players, so we switched it over to a regular mute. This is what you guys are seeing now. Now, when you say a word that triggers the chat filter you will receive a message explaining that you have been muted. The other change here is that multiple mutes will trigger a 24 hour ban.

What we are realizing with this new change is that there might be some words on our profanity list that could stand to come off, have separate meanings in other languages, etc. Based on your feedback, we are reviewing the list and will clean it up as much as possible. HOWEVER. Profanity still isn't something we want running rampant in Arcane Legends and we will continue to do what we can to keep it under control. Please remember that "No Profanity" is one of the first rules on our list and we're sticking to that. So, you will see the chat filter lighten up over the coming days, but do understand that if you continue to trigger it you will still receive a temporary ban. There are so many creative words you can use other than profanity. For reference, here are a few of my favorites:

"Barnicles!" "Banana Shenanigans!" "Dang Rabbit!" "Oh Snap!" "Crikey!" "Avada Kedavra!" "Jabberwockies!" "Holy Macaroni!" "Arrrrggghhhh!" "Shamalama!"

;D Challenge:Try out a few of those in PvP and see if you can start a trend.

Thanks for playing, and as always, keep it friendly out there!

Remiem
AARRGGGGGG as a curse word? im not sure if i should be offended Thanx REM :)

Bless
08-01-2014, 06:42 PM
You can say F*N but not FK? There are lots of possible acronyms for FK, but not many for F*N. I don't think thats how it's supposed to work.

Serancha
08-02-2014, 02:45 AM

Is this in a specific timeframe, like a day, or 5 mutes ever and you get banned for 24 hours? Just because we all make typos sometimes and with the ios keyboard problem, it is frequent that we get letters cut off our words.

Iphoneington
08-02-2014, 02:52 AM
Lol Lol

Alhuntrazeck
08-02-2014, 03:20 AM
I thought I invented the phrase "holy macaroni"...?

yasshh
08-02-2014, 03:25 AM
I thought I invented the phrase "holy macaroni"...?

no ._.

Uicheusa
08-02-2014, 12:03 PM
Who wrote this sentence?
"However, anything on the "bad words" list used to trigger a silent mute, meaning that you would not receive a message when your chat was flagged."

Kershy
08-02-2014, 12:48 PM
lol i love shamalama i think ill use it ha xD

Kershy
08-02-2014, 12:50 PM
I cant believe i say "barnicles" with a spongebob voice in my mind.

lol same ahahahahaha

Crowsfoot
08-02-2014, 03:01 PM
Lol@suggested phrases

I'm sorry, but none of those properly convey my emotions. I use Mythbusters as a witness that chemical feedback from "strong language" is not transferrable to alternate phrases without personality reprogramming therapy.

I'm team yell at the scream and eye rolling.

Crowsfoot
08-02-2014, 03:03 PM
Do repetitive 24 hour bans lead to a longer ban? And, what is the cool down period for when mutes stop counting towards the 24 ban?

lethaljade
08-02-2014, 07:10 PM

Thank you, appreciate it a lot, this is causing me alot of issues, to the point i dont even want to type, the device I use is a Samsung note tablet 10.1, but I here people have this issue with nexus and a few other devices. Ive tried suggested ideas from many people on the fourms with the same issue but doesn't seem to be a long term fix, it just resorts in the same issue again minutes after.

Serancha
08-03-2014, 05:48 PM
Lol@suggested phrases

I'm sorry, but none of those properly convey my emotions. I use Mythbusters as a witness that chemical feedback from "strong language" is not transferrable to alternate phrases without personality reprogramming therapy.

I'm team yell at the scream and eye rolling.

If Mythbusters say this is fact, it is clearly indisputable.

Reunegade
08-03-2014, 05:52 PM
Fudge works. Holy shift works. Butthole works. Stitch works.

Crowsfoot
08-04-2014, 03:12 PM
Fudge works. Holy shift works. Butthole works. Stitch works.
You'd make a poor sailor ;)

Serancha
08-04-2014, 06:32 PM
Still no answer on what the ban timeframe is. 5 mutes in what timespan? I've asked 3 times now.

Dwertyq
08-06-2014, 10:27 AM
I'm usually muted because of auto spell lol when I'm typing too fast and then hit enter then bam auto correct = banned words= muted lol

snowfu
08-06-2014, 03:00 PM
Holy macaroni, Batman!

j3peaz
08-06-2014, 05:35 PM
Is it possible to make the chat filter target black listed words and replace said word with a random creative alternative?

Madnex
08-06-2014, 05:42 PM
^ A surprisingly fun idea.

Frohnatur
08-06-2014, 09:49 PM
So eine scheisse.

Ravager
08-07-2014, 01:45 PM
Hey all,

Remiem

Wonder if anyone talks like that in real life haha.

Serancha
08-07-2014, 01:55 PM
Shhhhastadasies

fiftyonecents
08-07-2014, 05:22 PM
its seems that everyone likes to challenge the system..lol!!!

I laughed pretty good while reading the responses here, aww well back to A.L. mute free is good for me.

Crowsfoot
08-07-2014, 07:06 PM
Is it possible to make the chat filter target black listed words and replace said word with a random creative alternative?

^ A surprisingly fun idea.
Please, please make the random words food items and/or zoo animals. For giraffe sake, it would be a pizza better alternative to narwhal mutes and bans. ;)

Khaphyn
08-08-2014, 12:17 AM
I think "Ice Cream Sandwich" covers all curse words

Sent by This Handsome Guy

Vls
08-08-2014, 08:42 AM
I can't believe!!! I got muted for writing "Homo sapiens" XDXDXD

Crowsfoot
08-08-2014, 03:16 PM
I can't believe!!! I got muted for writing "Homo sapiens" XDXDXD
Try hard, "humans" is less characters ;)

laseule
08-08-2014, 03:34 PM
Banana shenanigans, holy macaroni!! Hahaha.. So funny. :')

Dervy
08-10-2014, 07:32 PM
I dnt get why u need to mute.. and ban pipl.. u can just make a random words i they trigger those foul languages.. like if u say sh*t.. u cn just make a 4 letter/signs to replace it with.. (@#$%) just statn my opinion..

Sdbigdaddy
08-10-2014, 11:29 PM
I got muted for 5 minutes discussing the difference between damage and damage per s. couldnt respond back for 5 mintes. Embarassing.

Thank you sts. Will keep my mouth shut the entire time playing the game. You won, mighty dictator. Until, that is, i find a better game to play. Unreal.

Sdbigdaddy
08-10-2014, 11:34 PM
Also dev, try it with a few misspellings and see if you get banned. Ridiculous.

Stupified
08-10-2014, 11:39 PM
Leave it to beaver chat only ^^ zz... i said my staff is shy meaning it wouldnt proc. I accidently typed t at the end of shy and got muted.. silly ^^

Stupified
08-10-2014, 11:47 PM
Why mute people at all? Whats the sense of having a chat filter? You have the option to remove it for what reason? Make sense please. If the chat filter does its job it filters inappropriate words so all the viewer sees are ****s. All youre doing is perpetuating the problem because instead people will manipulate their chat to get their point across.

Remove mutes...allow filter to do its job. There is more than one demographic here, not all of us are 10 years old...holy jeepers batman.

Oh and by the way. Most people who /report dont do it because theyre offended. They do it out of spite because they lost a fight or are nerd raging and want a passive-aggresive way to retaliate, which obviously sts is happy to oblige.

lowratehitman
08-11-2014, 12:28 AM
I got ban from saying shut up -_-

Stupified
08-11-2014, 12:35 AM
Haha

Sdbigdaddy
08-11-2014, 02:06 AM
I got ban from saying shut up -_-

next time, "quiet down (forcibly)". unreal. was afraid of tying "good job" after a run an hour ago. so instead went with "nice". hey you got to adapt and don't make a**umptions.

Amadorbibidor
08-11-2014, 05:52 PM
Maybe STS want to see us talking like in school -.- (or work) #this is getting boring

Sent from my broken phone using Tapatalk

Sceazikua
08-14-2014, 01:12 AM
Can full words not be censored and muted? its bad to keep seeing ***le (title) or co**** (cocoon).

j3peaz
08-14-2014, 06:07 AM
Can full words not be censored and muted? its bad to keep seeing ***le (title) or co**** (cocoon).
There is a chat filter box is the options tab that is turned on by default. However using profanity will still mute you.

Blissfulgod
08-16-2014, 04:23 PM
It's somewhat offensive for 'gay' to be filtered. I understand that some use it as an insult and the filter is there to prevent such abuses, but filtering it out is like a confirmation of 'gay' being something negative and insulting. Treating it as just another profanity is much more offensive to me than someone using it as an insult because at least I can disregard such comments as ignorance and not let it bother me. However, when STS officially categorizes it as offensive language, not only does the ignorant person get the message that it really is something taboo, but so do your gay players.

I understand the good intentions of filtering it out, but I'm afraid that is more damaging than treating it as just another word like 'straight' is.

obee
08-19-2014, 07:42 AM
Bacon sausage, fudge, son of a ditch XD

BottleNexz
08-21-2014, 05:45 AM
Well, sheeet :P