PDA

View Full Version : AO3 item issue fix

Drathas
01-15-2011, 01:49 AM
So I'm sure you're getting a lot of feedback on the recent addition of the AO3 elite dungeons, and more specifically the items dropped therein, and the changes in drop rates. I think as it currently stands, very few people would continue running the shadow caves as they take a long time, generally several deaths, and usually several thousand gold in elixirs to usually end up with a white or orange item you could much more easily get out of plasma pyramids. The market is also flooded with the initial wave of pinks when the drop rate was 100%. Basically, if these items remain best in game, the people who got their stuff and saved it early make a huge profit, and the people that didn't have to either fork out insane amounts of gold or spent a huge amount of time trying to farm with almost no hope of getting what they need. So to fix this imbalance and make shadow caves worthwhile, here's what I suggest.

1. Don't give the existing items set bonuses. I hear there is already talk of this, and given the way these items were initially rolled out, and what was stated above, I think it would ruin the economy and make shadow caves a dead zone.

2. Create new sets for shadow caves with new items that do give set bonuses. The hardest content should give the best gear, and this would solidify that, and would make shadow caves worth running despite the time, difficulty and cost.

3. Make the boss drops in shadow caves roughly equivalent to regular AO3. Almost guaranteed purple, decent chance of a non-set pink, very low chance of a set pink.

With these changes, the current gear that exists is good, but not the best, so the distribution imbalance and its effect on the game economy is minimized, and the best gear does still drop from the new content, and it is still worth farming in hopes of that one really lucky drop, but without it being such a long shot as to not be worth even trying.

In short, the new content gets played, the gear that flooded the game is still good but not so good as to ruin the economy, and the best gear is still worth spending the time to farm.

Ellyidol
01-15-2011, 01:54 AM
I like no 1. As it stands, the shadow sets are already comparable to the ao3 sets. Add the set bonuses and they will, unless the new set bonuses are complete opposites of the ao3 set bonuses, make ao3 sets obsolete.

Kujen
01-15-2011, 01:55 AM
I agree with this. I think I posted something like it earlier - just make new items that are much better than these, that nobody already has. Everyone will want to farm for them, and nobody would have already easily gotten them. The only people who would be mad about this are the ones who have stockpiles of the existing gear and are wanting to make a fortune off them.

Drathas
01-15-2011, 02:06 AM
I could be one of those people if it plays out that way, but for me, having a reason to continue playing and a goal to work towards is better than a mound of gold in my stash and nothing to do with it.

Bigsleazy
01-15-2011, 03:46 AM
+100000000

/ten

superglut2
01-15-2011, 04:04 AM
Yes new items plz swt bonus, i dont care if devs just recolor them again. But that would save the elite dungeon.

Drathas
01-15-2011, 05:40 PM
Hope they wouldn't just be re-colored, but better that then not making them. Glad you like the idea.

nazgulking
01-15-2011, 05:44 PM
Lol i want set on existing items AND ruin the economy :)

Lesrider
01-15-2011, 05:55 PM
I hope if they do this, they create original designs (the way it should have been done originally *cough*).

Kujen
01-15-2011, 06:37 PM
I really hope they do this, I think it's one of the best ideas to fix this.

Just an idea: maybe have the new gear be the really rare drops from the bosses, and the current gear can be obtained with new quests..similar to the cyber quests, a guaranteed reward that just takes a lot of time - Since most people got guaranteed drops to begin with. Or you could still have them both drop, but the current gear should drop much more commonly than the new.

Drathas
01-15-2011, 07:49 PM
Thats exactly what I'm suggesting. Shadow boss get the same or close to the same drop chances as regular ao3 bosses, with hate/death/shadow being the same drop chance as fate/destiny/fortune items from regular ao3, and the new set items having a similar drop chance as rift/void/cosmos.