PDA

View Full Version : surprising data on plat use efficiency for L77 cap

Fusionstrike
08-05-2014, 04:55 PM
When the 77 cap was announced, I decided I'd be very efficient about how I approached it. I thought I'd grind xp only when I had a 3x combo to maximize the benefit. With 10 characters to choose from, I figured I'd have at least one decent combo to play with most days. Also, I'd only have to buy 4x xp elixir instead of thrasher if I wanted to speed things up.

Luckily, I got a 3x combo to work with several days in a row (not all on the same char). I ran through the new levels and measured my progress when using 4x xp elixir. I played all of the 5 levels, and the amount of xp I gained varied, mostly due to which level it was and how good a team I joined. But I could reliably get about 5k xp per hour (or more precisely, per elixir).

Then today I decided to give plasma leveling a try. I figured it would be faster but more expensive, so I kept track, and was surprised at what I found.

XP gained: 23034
Plat spent: 12x(5 plat 5min xp anywhere) + 1x(27plat 4x xp loco) = 87plat
XP/plat: 265

Compared this to my average caverns run:
XP gained: ~5000
Plat spent: 1x(27plat 4x xp loco) = 27
XP/plat: 185

So it's faster and less expensive overall to level in plasma using plat, and by quite a bit. Running the numbers, here's the total cost to cap 300k xp using these rates:

1132 plat in plasma
1622 plat in caverns

Keep in mind that these calculations assume having a 3x combo blessing, so having to buy thrashers would increase the cost. But since both methods get more expensive, it's still a significant savings to do plasma over caverns. Repeating the calculations above with thrashers at 36plat each:

XP/plat using thrasher in plasma: 240
XP/plat using thrasher in caverns: 139

I always figured that leveling in the new area was slower but cheaper. It surprised me to learn I actually get a better value for my plat playing low levels with xp anywhere. So the only ones who should be in the new area are those leveling without plat (in which case they may be better off in BSM) or those farming the new items.

Of course, if STS relaxes the difficulty of the new mobs then this calculation would change, but for now it's definitely better to grind the xp in plasma.

synfullmagic_23110
08-05-2014, 04:58 PM
I poor plat nub and I :( an wow nice!

Somemager
08-05-2014, 06:47 PM
Running bsm is better and faster, if you use a 3x + the 4x xp exlier you would get 7-8k xp an hour rather then caverns giving 5-6k an hour or less (bad teams) Main reason everyones doing valley to 77.

Oldcoot
08-05-2014, 07:14 PM
Do a lost valley comparison, I was curious about that map against plasma

3!y$EoN
08-05-2014, 07:18 PM
What if they added quest that granted xp like in AL, like kill 80 cavern mobs and 1 boss and you get 750xp
Could possibly be done one time per map per day, running the maps with no elixir can take quite a while, so I feel this would be a good solution. I really like the maps' difficulty so would prefer that not to change.

Somemager
08-05-2014, 07:44 PM
Obviously most people dont have the plat for plasma derp.

Oldcoot
08-05-2014, 07:49 PM
Obviously most people dont have the plat for plasma derp.
That's why I was wondering about valley runs

Chopper
08-05-2014, 08:27 PM
My plan is only to play when i have a 3x combo, take my time and enjoy the fact that I'm actually playing for something rather than being bored dead time. Eventually I'll get there and spend a big fat zero plat on capping. What's the rush? There's nothing coming after this so might as well enjoy the ride.

Somemager
08-05-2014, 08:28 PM
My plan is only to play when i have a 3x combo, take my time and enjoy the fact that I'm actually playing for something rather than being bored dead time. Eventually I'll get there and spend a big fat zero plat on capping. What's the rush? There's nothing coming after this so might as well enjoy the ride.

Ily for dis <3

Fusionstrike
08-05-2014, 10:43 PM
Running bsm is better and faster, if you use a 3x + the 4x xp exlier you would get 7-8k xp an hour rather then caverns giving 5-6k an hour or less (bad teams) Main reason everyones doing valley to 77.

Do a lost valley comparison, I was curious about that map against plasma

Looks like Somemager already has the numbers on lost valley.

Oldcoot
08-05-2014, 10:54 PM
Ah I see, sorry I missed that.

Armourslash
08-07-2014, 02:23 AM
I just get 3x combo blessing and 2x-3x xp and go to valley or caverns..

BroadCastle
08-07-2014, 02:01 PM
However, this is not usefull guide for me at the moment, since I decided to old-fashion grinding, I simply love reading your entries Fusion :) The expert way you manage the informations is just perfect!

Fusionstrike
08-07-2014, 02:10 PM
However, this is not usefull guide for me at the moment, since I decided to old-fashion grinding, I simply love reading your entries Fusion :) The expert way you manage the informations is just perfect!

Yeah, I know a lot of people don't have the luxury of plat-based leveling. I just found it surprising that it's actually a better value to grind on low levels, which I definitely didn't expect. Although it seems like lost valley's quick mob respawn plus lower mob difficulty makes it a faster grind for non-plat based on comments here.

Pancakepanic
12-19-2014, 05:35 PM
Impressively well put together guide...nice job!