PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on the "Back Burner".

Zylx
08-09-2014, 07:00 PM
When players post suggestions for the devs to look through and hopefully implement in the game, if they are good enough, they are said to be placed on a back burner.

My interpretation of a "back burner":

A list of small requests that a majority of players would like to see fulfilled. Something that won't be touched until all the developers' ideas are all exhausted out, or the game is in it's hibernation/retirement state (much like PL's current standing). It's as though nearly all of these "Back Burner" suggestions won't be implemented until months, if not years down the line.

My feedback on this:

Terrible business philosophy. This puts a low limit on the customers' power in the company. It's like the company's officers saying "you don't know what you want, only we know what you want". A month or two ago, i read a thread posted by a fellow forumer who complained about how the developers are handling our suggestions. As if the developers are expanding upon an out-dated gameplay rather than improving what the customers see as subpar decisions made by the devs when generating content.

A popular excuse a dev would make would be something along the lines about "being too busy creating new content to expand the ga-" STOP RIGHT THERE. How many developers do you guys have? Would it be impossible to have a large group of developers working on new content and then a small group slowly working on player-generated suggestions? I personally wouldn't mind longer delays, as long as whatever comes when it comes, it'll make it worth the wait.

So don't place the brilliant suggestions on the "back burner" or a low-priority list. Work it up a little bit at a time so you can please everyone every once in a while. I've seen "back burner" suggestions posted a year and a half ago that have yet to even be announced.

kjed
08-09-2014, 09:47 PM
Critical hit to sts!!!

Yep i hear ya bro, they always make that excuses to us telling "were just a small company, were busy making a new content blah blah" enough with what

If your really want this game to keep improving and to prosper why wont you hire some personnels to listen to customers concerns, there are many nice suggestive post out there that arent implemented or shall we say got "snobbed".

Just sayin.

Instanthumor
08-09-2014, 10:30 PM
If you think about it, everything that they release has some sort of $$$$$$ coming in their way.... Look at the new arena/tombs whatever thing for example. Probably gunna make bosses hit harder = more deaths = more plat revives = more $$$$ in the long run, js

Gensin
08-09-2014, 11:24 PM
If you think about it, everything that they release has some sort of $$$$$$ coming in their way.... Look at the new arena/tombs whatever thing for example. Probably gunna make bosses hit harder = more deaths = more plat revives = more $$$$ in the long run, js

Also in Nekro, Instead of the regular old:

Open crates.
= get egg.

Now:

Open crates.
Farm elite + Plat revive.
Crafting plat.
= get egg.

Instanthumor
08-09-2014, 11:28 PM
Also in Nekro, Instead of the regular old:

Open crates.
= get egg.

Now:

Open crates.
Farm elite + Plat revive.
Crafting plat.
= get egg.

To add on to that... You have to loot TWO arcanes (singe and fossil) instead of just one (the shard) lmao.

Zylx
08-09-2014, 11:48 PM

Yes, what they're trying to do is base all of their profits on their customers' greed and their desire to surpass their peers. STS does not care for it's customers, unless it directly nets them a higher profit.

I see a company's business ethic as 3 categories. Poor, sufficient, and exceptional. A poor ethic undervalues their customers while also producing a failed product. A sufficient ethic undervalues their customers while producing a successful product. And finally, an exceptional ethic values their customers while also producing a successful product.

Spacetime Studios falls under the sufficient category. Their products generate positive feedback from their customers, yet they lack the outstanding care that drives their customers into loving the company. An exceptional ethic nets a conpany the most profit at the cost of work/labor. But as a game developer, there isn't any labor.

In other words, STS is a sufficient company that only does what it has to do to gain a profit. It doesn't try to expand upon that business philosophy to create happy customers. STS does not care about customers. Only profit. (If a spacetime employee deletes/locks this post/thread, it'll only show that they acknowledge this truth and want to hide it).

Spacetime will never be a remarkable company if they send their customers' requests to the recycle bin. You see players quitting the game out of boredom because STS isn't creating content that pleases them. I'm not saying STS should generate every idea into the game, only the positive ones that are constantly mentioned and are popularly supported.

I quit AL not only because of my inflexible availability, but also because im bored! STS isn't producing what I want, so why should i even play the same game i've played for a year and a half? It doesn't make sense.

These are my views toward STS. They only make the product, not serve their customers. It's like being a customer service representative with a bad attitude. You still produce the service, but you don't do anything to make the customer want to come back.

Gensin
08-10-2014, 12:00 AM
To add on to that... You have to loot TWO arcanes (singe and fossil) instead of just one (the shard) lmao.

You still have to loot Singe to get Nekro?

Valkiryas
08-10-2014, 12:25 AM
No Gensin, but shard count as like a Craft Item ( Fossil and Shard ) and everyone knows that get an Arcane Craft is ridicously hard.

Ihateppl
08-10-2014, 12:29 AM
The back burner is where the chili is, it needs time to get the real rich flavors.

MoloToha
08-10-2014, 04:18 AM
Completely agree with opinions above, I have been collecting lots of suggestions here http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?t=139166 , but only 6 were implemented so far. Also, no response from dev team, at least I thank Ami for making it sticky.

Remiem
08-11-2014, 01:04 PM
Zylx, thanks for your post. Hopefully I can shed a little more light on how the "back burner" works. Actually in some ways, it works a lot like was suggested above. At any given time, there are a number of developers working on the big updates and new content for our live games, and a smaller number working to fix bugs and implement player suggestions and feedback. For example, while developers were working on new content for AL, another developer was creating the much requested new cap for Pocket Legends. What is hard to perceive is how small that group of developers is.

We are a company of around 50 people, but that includes administrators, artists, designers, accountants, analysts, web developers and more. Also, the devs are split into Live and Developing games. Some developers are working on improving the live games (Arcane, Pocket, Star, Dark and Battles) while some are working on creating the stuff we haven't released yet. When you consider all of that, it is easier to see how much work goes into cranking out as many updates as we do over the course of the year. It is a huge feat for our hard working developers!

Like MoloToha shows in his list of suggestions, we have slowly but surely been working in the ones we can. In Samhayne's producer's letter he announced Ankhs, a new way to buy revives in game without using platinum. The guild log is another player suggestion that will be in soon. And, the halloween event is already in the works, taking into account all of the feedback from the Ursoth's assault event. Skill system? Another good example of something we are building using all of the feedback we received from YOU, the players. All of this, even while we were working on the new arena and Planar tombs that will be out soon. We ask that you understand this and know that while, of course, we have to make profit to keep our games running, we know that our game is nothing without happy players. And we will do everything we can to make sure you stay happy. :) But, please understand that we have to stay realistic about how much we can do over any period of time.

Never stop sending in your suggestions and feedback. We always hear them and will continue to take each and every one into consideration as we go.

fiftyonecents
08-11-2014, 05:58 PM
Zylx, thanks for your post. Hopefully I can shed a little more light on how the "back burner" works. Actually in some ways, it works a lot like was suggested above. At any given time, there are a number of developers working on the big updates and new content for our live games, and a smaller number working to fix bugs and implement player suggestions and feedback. For example, while developers were working on new content for AL, another developer was creating the much requested new cap for Pocket Legends. What is hard to perceive is how small that group of developers is.

We are a company of around 50 people, but that includes administrators, artists, designers, accountants, analysts, web developers and more. Also, the devs are split into Live and Developing games. Some developers are working on improving the live games (Arcane, Pocket, Star, Dark and Battles) while some are working on creating the stuff we haven't released yet. When you consider all of that, it is easier to see how much work goes into cranking out as many updates as we do over the course of the year. It is a huge feat for our hard working developers!

Like MoloToha shows in his list of suggestions, we have slowly but surely been working in the ones we can. In Samhayne's producer's letter he announced Ankhs, a new way to buy revives in game without using platinum. The guild log is another player suggestion that will be in soon. And, the halloween event is already in the works, taking into account all of the feedback from the Ursoth's assault event. Skill system? Another good example of something we are building using all of the feedback we received from YOU, the players. All of this, even while we were working on the new arena and Planar tombs that will be out soon. We ask that you understand this and know that while, of course, we have to make profit to keep our games running, we know that our game is nothing without happy players. And we will do everything we can to make sure you stay happy. :) But, please understand that we have to stay realistic about how much we can do over any period of time.

Never stop sending in your suggestions and feedback. We always hear them and will continue to take each and every one into consideration as we go.

Hmmmm ,

You sound like you are getting frustrated with the onslaught of people complaining but yet you are still keeping it professional. I for one respect that you are standing your grounds ( someone has to why not the '' super Moderator") While at the same time you discuss specifics about you and your staff that is working so diligently on each and every detail that is to come to light be it present or future.

Well may I suggest to sts ???? maybe don't spread your company so thin if the work load is becoming overwhelming and you are so backlogged with unfinished projects that you are not able to put in the full attention that you use to according to many many Al players that I have met over my time enjoying your ''Awesome '' game. Maybe don't spread your selves so thin other wise this creates a opening for the ever expanding game players that come across your game and soon realize you only have time to make new games rather than enjoy your empire that you already built thus far.

The Original players are all honored to have your company in the forum as well as when 'Dev's and Mod's visit within the game to stop in and say hello. This is what intrigues most new and Vet players in my honest opinion and wouldn't hurt to continue doing this. Do you need to be there everyday ( Answer = no ) just not the same experience like it use to be ever since the Tarlok event this game has evolved into what I don't know , but its evident there are a lot of unhappy campers.

Not sure what it would take to turn this area around maybe it will pass like an occasional 24 cold , who knows. With all this said keep up the great work, I for one appreciate Arcane Legends this is by far one of my favorites that is on my tablet and its hard to put down :)

Best regards,

Fifty

Zylx
08-11-2014, 10:46 PM
Hmmmm ,

You sound like you are getting frustrated with the onslaught of people complaining but yet you are still keeping it professional. I for one respect that you are standing your grounds ( someone has to why not the '' super Moderator") While at the same time you discuss specifics about you and your staff that is working so diligently on each and every detail that is to come to light be it present or future.

Well may I suggest to sts ???? maybe don't spread your company so thin if the work load is becoming overwhelming and you are so backlogged with unfinished projects that you are not able to put in the full attention that you use to according to many many Al players that I have met over my time enjoying your ''Awesome '' game. Maybe don't spread your selves so thin other wise this creates a opening for the ever expanding game players that come across your game and soon realize you only have time to make new games rather than enjoy your empire that you already built thus far.

The Original players are all honored to have your company in the forum as well as when 'Dev's and Mod's visit within the game to stop in and say hello. This is what intrigues most new and Vet players in my honest opinion and wouldn't hurt to continue doing this. Do you need to be there everyday ( Answer = no ) just not the same experience like it use to be ever since the Tarlok event this game has evolved into what I don't know , but its evident there are a lot of unhappy campers.

Not sure what it would take to turn this area around maybe it will pass like an occasional 24 cold , who knows. With all this said keep up the great work, I for one appreciate Arcane Legends this is by far one of my favorites that is on my tablet and its hard to put down :)

Best regards,

Fifty

I have to agree with this.

Don't get me wrong. I love STS. The purpose of this thread was to convey my thoughts and concerns of what things appear to be from a consumer's stand-point. I do see a lot of things implemented that player's request, but really only things correcting what the dev's overlooked. I'm not trying to insult or bash the company. Only applying harsh constructive-criticism to try to move things along a little easier and smoother.

I do feel that STS is kinda rushing through generating new releases and abandoning their original games. I see STS trying to become an enterprise developer, but they only have 50 employees.

Blizzard Entertainment (Developers of WoW) has ~1,001-5,000 employees [https://www.linkedin.com/company/blizzard-entertainment?_mSplash=1]. They can successfully produce more games because they are a large company.

I just feel that STS has bitten off more they can chew. Pocket, Star, and Dark Legends have been left nearly abandoned since AL was released (i do know there is a mini update coming for them).

I love STS, and i want you guys to be successful! I'm only trying to give my view on things for you to toy with.

Elner
08-11-2014, 11:44 PM
I honestly think you guys have GOT to relax. They have to work on multiple games, they have limited people of artists developers and so forth. I really think you guys should be glad they are even taking these suggestions. Suggestion for sts, hire people. You already have maybe i don't know how much money, hire some extra people to get the good work going.