PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for UserInterface revisions!

kameha5th
01-17-2011, 01:34 AM
Greetings Spacetime Studios Staff & Users,

I have recently joined this amazing community just to say how outstanding this game has really offered for my satisfaction. The game itself is very addicting, and can't help myself say that it gives my old "World of Warcraft" nostalgic memories on my iPhone 4.

Though I had been playing this game for over a week now, I would like to be earnest and suggest some improvements in the User Interface that would benefit everyone's game-play experience.

http://i52.tinypic.com/2vtczm9.jpg

As explained from the picture I would like to elaborate in some parts:

The Player User-bars: The current Health, Mana, and Experience Bar which is conveniently located at the top left corner could be vastly improvised rather than seeing a solid-bar. Giving an option to players to have the actual Health, Mana, and Experience percentage would be a great way to help in battle situation scenarios (which this game is obviously mostly about). Not only would this help in battle and testing solid-spec builds in different classes but the main benefit would shoulder upon the Staff due to accurate class balancing and reports from players who test out different class specs.

This goes without saying for the Enemies Health bar (Red bar on top of their head) as well. It would benefit players to kill off elite bosses by knowing an actual number or percentage they still need to hack off rather than having a solid red bar, forcing players to gauge how many percent the boss still have to go. Would be very user-friendly, and again, the Staff could vastly improvised from taking this idea to a whole new level.

The Map: The Map as how it is right now is quite... under polished. True that this game's intention is for mobile gaming, hence where the tittle 'Pocket' Legends origins are, but it definitely needs a lot of work.

I love the idea of how a user could change the opacity of the map. The location of the map is unique and probably the only best way to place it (middle of the screen), but there are some things that are still lacking from the dungeon map and should be included:

Things that should be in the map aside from the Green, Red, and Blue arrows are:

★Quest:
-As to how most 3D/2D/2.5D games are, most of the time they have a mini-map and a little exclamation/question mark hovering in the mini-map itself. Surprisingly, this was not included in the map provided in-game and I believe the Staff should think about implementing this. It would give new players, myself including, a sense of direction and how to start doing quest chains, etc.
★Towne:
-It is almost completely irrelevant to have 'Over 9000' blue arrows all over the map, which indicates other players. This could be improvised by simply removing the Blue arrows (players) during in Towne and instead display icons for NPCs.
★NPCs:
-It may just be me, but for the past one week I played, during in-game while I roam different Townes, on my map I don't see any indications of where an NPC resides. This would be rather difficult in terms for players who has limited view in their mobile devices (regardless how much you zoom out) but to people trying to finish quests.

The Damage Per Second (DPS) font: It would definitely help out some people including those who may have terrible eyesight for the Staff to increase the font for each damage you inflict to an enemy. For so many times, whenever I try to get my RAW DPS on an enemy, it's almost relatively hard to see whether if I'm 'Hitting' or I'm 'Missing'. Making the font Bolder and more Larger would be best to fix this complication.

★Side note: Aside from the font issue, it may also help by changing the font COLOR of each individual player when hitting on a monster. I've noticed as when I was killing off the boss in Lost Expedition instance, King of Frost, my damage and my party members damage colors were the same, and thus gave everyone a hard time to segregate what their own damage was.

Things that's worth mentioning:

The Character Status, Inventory, Store, Menu: A lot of my friends that recently joined this game (as to how I referred them to try this game out) kept complaining about how during in a dungeon, when a player must change their inventory, the whole screen would totally change onto the menu and leaving their character without any visibility that's going on from outside.

Shown here: http://www.technorotic.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/scr06.png

A great example would be as to how I just 'dinged' to 20, and I would like to change my weapon from a level 15 to level 20. Unfortunately, in this case there were lots of monsters from where I 'dinged' and I would like to switch weapons really fast. During this process, I have to tap my name at the top-left corner, then after clicking the little bag icon, the whole screen switches to that, leaving behind my character being attacked and immobilize until I leave my inventory screen.

This could be very frustrating to some players and could be fixed by having an 'On the fly' system to which a player could immediately switch to a better stat weapon. If you by chance play any of the "Tales of" series game, you'll get what I'm talking about.

Well I hope this may help out the staff members and community.

Regards,

Alex H. A.K.A Zarhym
Community Development
Blizzard Entertainment Staff

nazgulking
01-17-2011, 12:35 PM
Great suggestions, after reading I feel that the lacks outlined by Alex are correct indeed :)
Hope devs will take into consideration your suggestions, Alex, and apply them :)
Also I'm happy that other developers from other game companies (in this case Blizzard, I mean BLIZZARD!!!) enjoy this game and give tips, taken from their experience, to our devs to help us users have a better user-experience.
Just one word: AWESOME!

MoarPewPew
01-17-2011, 01:08 PM
Lol..... This seems fishy.... Good suggestions.

So when are you going to suggest a blizzard/activison merge with STS.....

And if you do really work for blizzard I'll go make a post on the wow forums seeing if I get a reply....

drewcapu
01-17-2011, 02:30 PM
I'd actually be interested in perhaps having the option to see an enemy's profile screen when tapping their energy bar. To me, that would be more useful than seeing numbers next to hp/mana bars since I"m sure it would be delayed (or just create more overhead) like the damage, etc. info that scrolls. You mention that your change would be for testing specs etc. It seems this is already possible to do in a more controlled environment when you get a friend to help you test things in PvP.

I think part of the exploration aspect of quests is to be able to try and find things without them easily being pointed out to you. The "hints" are nice when you don't have any pending quests. But that's probably enough. I think putting hints on the map itself just makes things too easy.

The blue triangles for people are fine. Once in awhile there might be something going on in towne and it's good to be able to see where everyone is congregated. (Yes, I spelled that with a "c", folks!)

NPCs do have a darker shade of blue triangle. It subtle. Perhaps a little too subtle. But after awhile, you'll learn where the NPCs you need to frequent are.

I play on an iPod Touch. The font size seems "ok" to me. I'd actually prefer if it scrolled faster more than anything else. For knowledge's sake, I think a good option would be to have either: own damage etc. shown only, or everyone's damage etc shown.

As for quick changing gear... Well, just wait til the area around you is clear :)
When changing gear, I just wish the auto-attack didn't disengage ;)

Also, how old is that screenshot? There's no platinum button (which I wish had the option of being the gear loadout button instead).

Another UI change that I would suggest is auto-collapse of the skills menu when using the "..." chat button for easier page up and downing.