PDA

View Full Version : How can AL client use 250 MB on 5 hour session

Chaozedong
08-11-2014, 02:43 PM
I've seen similar threads on high data usage on here. I've read this is not the case on the iphone client.

But nowhere is there a post of a developer on how it is possible to get such a high data usage.

There only has to be sent very basic information back and forth between the client and their servers. And I'm baffled at how you can get up to 250 - 300 mb on a 5 hour session.

This problem is not in the best interest of either the consumer (us) or STS, as this just brings a higher costs for both parties (and no increase in revenue). And so I'm confused as why this hasn't been decluttered by the STS development team yet.

I'ld like to get more gaming time out of my mobile data plan.

Jurmans
08-11-2014, 02:53 PM
1. Don't play on 3g/4g use wifi.
2. The data usage depends on what you do if you go run elites the thing will use a lot more data then for just standing in the gh (I think).

Jurmans
08-11-2014, 02:54 PM
I've seen similar threads on high data usage on here. I've read this is not the case on the iphone client.

But nowhere is there a post of a developer on how it is possible to get such a high data usage.

There only has to be sent very basic information back and forth between the client and their servers. And I'm baffled at how you can get up to 250 - 300 mb on a 5 hour session.

This problem is not in the best interest of either the consumer (us) or STS, as this just brings a higher costs for both parties (and no increase in revenue). And so I'm confused as why this hasn't been decluttered by the STS development team yet.

I'ld like to get more gaming time out of my mobile data plan.

Ps: there's also somewhere on sts it's support page how much data in average should be used.

Dex Scene
08-11-2014, 02:58 PM
1. Don't play on 3g/4g use wifi.
2. The data usage depends on what you do if you go run elites the thing will use a lot more data then for just standing in the gh (I think).
I play on 3g! Just saying :3

wvhills
08-11-2014, 02:59 PM
sounds about right. i averaged between 50-60 mb an hour on both iOS and android. Officially STS calculates the usage at around 5 MB/hour but that's not what i've seen historically on my end.

Jurmans
08-11-2014, 03:03 PM
Sts says: http://support.spacetimestudios.com/customer/portal/articles/963745-how-much-data-does-playing-the-game-use-

wvhills
08-11-2014, 03:10 PM
Sts says: http://support.spacetimestudios.com/customer/portal/articles/963745-how-much-data-does-playing-the-game-use-

that's what i was referring to. That's not accurate at all. It's closer to 50-60 MB/hr.

Amadorbibidor
08-11-2014, 05:37 PM
I spent 1024 mb ( 1 Gb) in 2 days. Puuufff.. :/

Sent from my broken phone using Tapatalk

obee
08-11-2014, 06:02 PM

Ouch

Chaozedong
08-11-2014, 07:55 PM
sounds about right. i averaged between 50-60 mb an hour on both iOS and android. Officially STS calculates the usage at around 5 MB/hour but that's not what i've seen historically on my end.

That sounds about right.

I would love to know what STS' view is on this discrepancy between their estimated usage and the effective data usage and if they plan to do anything about this.
Based on what little information there has to be send back and forth to the serves I can't imagine 50 MB beeing used per hour.

So what I'm wondering is: Is this just bad coding or where is the cause of this discrepancy to be found?

Chaozedong
08-11-2014, 07:56 PM

I've come close to that too.

There shouldn't be a need for so much data to be transfered.

Frohnatur
08-11-2014, 08:24 PM
Yes, I'm hitting the roof of my data allowance almost every month. :(

Derezzzed
08-11-2014, 09:22 PM
It depends on what you're doing IG, if you're standing in a map solo - nothing attacking you you'll have minimal usage - but if you compare it to let's say elite where you're constantly in pulls Ofc the server is sending alot more data back and forth on your device because of the mobs/skills going off

To sum it up, just depends on what you're doing IG there's no "definitive" rate

yasshh
08-11-2014, 11:21 PM
I used 2GB in around 5-7 days when i was quite addicted to it

joydhillon
08-12-2014, 02:28 AM
I have seen my data being used unevenly too.. and i literally use it only for the game. Saw arnd 8mb used up for just 10-15 mint game play and while elite running saw a larger chunk used.

Tuama Mdc
08-12-2014, 03:40 AM
1x run elit map tindirin 63mb iiww -,-"

Ishtmeet
08-12-2014, 05:51 AM
I have 4g 3g as well as 2g. With 4g, takes about 2 gb in 1 day.(12-14 hrs). On 3g i use 1gb a day and on wifi, idc :3

Sent from my Gpad_G1 using Tapatalk

Jirikjurasek
08-12-2014, 06:09 AM
I have 4g 3g as well as 2g. With 4g, takes about 2 gb in 1 day.(12-14 hrs). On 3g i use 1gb a day and on wifi, idc :3

You should stop refreshing forum each 10s :eagerness:

Ishtmeet
08-12-2014, 06:27 AM
You should stop refreshing forum each 10s :eagerness:

Talking about AL brada ;)

Arachnophobik
08-12-2014, 05:19 PM
Ive consumed hundreds of mbs from screenshots O.O

Remiem
08-12-2014, 05:33 PM
Hey there. Data usage can vary based on a LOT of factors, including apps you are running in the background, the kind of activity you are engaging in in game, etc etc. In our testing, Arcane Legends does still hover around our initial estimate of around 3-5mb per hour to run on a normal mobile data connection (3g/4g). Of course, add it in with jumping back and forth to Tapatalk, chatting on Line, downloading or posting screenshots, and the use of other tertiary mobile apps that you may use to enhance your Arcane Legends experience...and the data can stack up fast.

We recommend if data usage is a concern for you, that you connect to WiFi whenever possible so as not to use your plan data. Then, only use mobile data when you're on the go and there simply isn't a WiFi connection to be found. Hope this helps!

Amadorbibidor
08-12-2014, 06:25 PM
Hey there. Data usage can vary based on a LOT of factors, including apps you are running in the background, the kind of activity you are engaging in in game, etc etc. In our testing, Arcane Legends does still hover around our initial estimate of around 3-5mb per hour to run on a normal mobile data connection (3g/4g). Of course, add it in with jumping back and forth to Tapatalk, chatting on Line, downloading or posting screenshots, and the use of other tertiary mobile apps that you may use to enhance your Arcane Legends experience...and the data can stack up fast.

We recommend if data usage is a concern for you, that you connect to WiFi whenever possible so as not to use your plan data. Then, only use mobile data when you're on the go and there simply isn't a WiFi connection to be found. Hope this helps!

Using 3g and only played AL during 2 days. 1024 mb off. Maybe itself my phone or idk..

Rare
08-12-2014, 06:43 PM

I'm assuming they are looking at just AL data usage. Not overall data usage. So the other apps shouldn't matter.

Out of curiosity, how does STS test data usage? What kind of activities are done?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Linkincena
08-12-2014, 09:49 PM

Hey Rem..
Check this out plz... I play around 5 to 7 hrs a day.. that makes 14 MB per hour average usage by the game..
This data is for 7 days...

utpal
08-13-2014, 07:20 AM
that's the reason I dnt play elites. it takes 60mb per run lol. and when I log in, 1mb.

Linkincena
08-13-2014, 07:54 AM
that's the reason I dnt play elites. it takes 60mb per run lol. and when I log in, 1mb.

wow

Xeusx
08-13-2014, 08:07 AM
Meh, I just PVP-ing on my twinks :/ and I got bit much lag.

Ishtmeet
08-13-2014, 09:26 AM

Remi that could be for USA?
But not here. I use around 500-1024 mb data each day on my 3g-4g network (playing 10+hours).

null_void
08-13-2014, 02:16 PM
Interesting. It may be time for us to do another bandwidth profiling session - it's been a while for Arcane Legends. Using Linkincena's screenshot and time estimates, it would be about 100Mb per day and thus around 20Mb per hour. Seems like a lot, but like I said, I haven't done bandwidth profiling recently.

Evicted
08-13-2014, 05:05 PM
70% of My pocket money goes on Internet for AL.. It takes 1 GB in 9-10 Days :(

Linkincena
08-13-2014, 09:03 PM
Interesting. It may be time for us to do another bandwidth profiling session - it's been a while for Arcane Legends. Using Linkincena's screenshot and time estimates, it would be about 100Mb per day and thus around 20Mb per hour. Seems like a lot, but like I said, I haven't done bandwidth profiling recently.
Now I played for 10 hrs yesterday.. and the screenshot I took at 7:32 this morning on 14th (today)..
Check the data jump.... around 400 MB?

Arachnophobik
08-13-2014, 10:57 PM

sorry for the noob question but if translated to english, does that mean there will be better ping for other countries? if so then yeeeeeeeeey!

synfullmagic_23110
08-13-2014, 11:47 PM
Honestly you should only play online game with wifi since 3G isn't really dependable
4g idk

Linkincena
08-14-2014, 01:27 AM

And What is Bandwidth profiling?

Linkincena
08-14-2014, 01:34 AM
ah i found an article on Bandwidth profiling...
Posting here for our players to understand...
Refer to the link here to gain knowledge...
file:///E:/Downloads-F/Bandwidth-Profiles-for-Ethernet-Services.pdf

here is a stub from the article:

SacredKnight
08-14-2014, 01:43 AM
With unlimited 1 Gig internet speed...I don't care...lel ^_^

Jurmans
08-14-2014, 03:35 AM
sorry for the noob question but if translated to english, does that mean there will be better ping for other countries? if so then yeeeeeeeeey!

Not sure but I think they're gonna test how much gb is used up while using 3g/4g for playing AL, this howl thread isn't going about ping.

Linkincena
08-14-2014, 05:06 AM
this howl thread

Woof lol

Chaozedong
08-14-2014, 04:42 PM

This is exciting to hear.

(I would definitely try running elites in this period of time: They are rumored to be heavy data users.)

Chaozedong
08-14-2014, 04:47 PM
Now I played for 10 hrs yesterday.. and the screenshot I took at 7:32 this morning on 14th (today)..
Check the data jump.... around 400 MB?

I've had simmilar data usage spikes from 10 hour sessions.

In this time I would have been running tombs most of the time.

Linkincena
08-15-2014, 11:45 AM

Well.. take a look at this.. 9 day usage...

Linkincena
08-15-2014, 11:48 AM

And I just didn't notice.. but look at 1 month usage..

Xeusx
08-15-2014, 11:54 AM
And I just didn't notice.. but look at 1 month usage..
That...is...pretty.....WOW. O_O

razerfingers
08-15-2014, 01:11 PM
Get unlimited data :)

Linkincena
08-15-2014, 02:19 PM
Get unlimited data :)
Its unlimited though but still AL uses a lot of data while play

razerfingers
08-15-2014, 02:24 PM
Its unlimited though but still AL uses a lot of data while play
Yeah true, to me im like alright unlimited and use a phone for what i use it for then when i look at my data i thank jesus i got unlimited data :)

Linkincena
08-17-2014, 07:03 AM

Hey Null .. can you tell please that by when you will be done with Bandwidth profiling....???

Syberg
08-17-2014, 11:11 AM
Sad thing that my walet doe not alow me to play AL... I spend 1GB in 4 days maximum! And i have only 1 GB a month, my mobile network company does not offer unlimited network connection and i do not have wifi :/

Anarchist
08-17-2014, 06:31 PM
One of the greatest mysteries of AL is its insane data consumption. I don't understand it at all. I mean this a mobile game right? And it looks pretty simple with medium quality graphics so how does it manage to consume nearly 10GB/month.
AL consumes more than some major pc mmorpg games...
Even Order and Chaos consumes lesser and its smoothly playable both dungeons and pvp with just 2G.

How do i know? I compared the data consumption and currently play OnC with 2G.
Infact the money a player could be gladly spending on plat to help the game he has to devolve them to subscribe internet services to barely play for half a month.
In 1 week 3GB fly out of the window like nothing...so one has to subscribe other contracts and spend more money on internet providers instead of spending them on the game. FAIL.

On the 20th, when i get out of the humanity plague called 2G and get back fresh 3G connection, i will carry out my own test. To measure biro on paper the consumption. The one written on the FAQ is super Wrong. The data drain is much higher than that, much more!! And the fact bigger and more complex games consume less data don't make ends meet.

aquascaper
08-17-2014, 06:35 PM
I also saw the 5mb per hour and was like 'wut'. I religiously switch to wifi when I'm at home, so I use less than half of a gigabyte of Arcane Legends on mobile data per month.

Linkincena
08-18-2014, 02:06 AM
I also the the 5mb per hour and was like 'wut'. I religiously switch to wifi when I'm at home, so I use less than half of a gigabyte of Arcane Legends on mobile data per month.

5mB per hour?....
No where near lol

Prahasit Prahi
08-18-2014, 07:57 AM
During those times when I was greatly addicted to AL and there is no WiFi in home,in 4 days it used to consume 1 GB of 3G data.

Rather when WiFi came it was good with unlimited data....Thank God.

Chaozedong
08-18-2014, 09:38 PM
One of the greatest mysteries of AL is its insane data consumption.

And the fact bigger and more complex games consume less data don't make ends meet.

This is interesting.

And the high data consumption is a drain on money for both the costumer (us) and the provider STS.

joydhillon
08-19-2014, 03:16 AM
In someplaces ISP have plans called unlimited data but little do people know that after a particular point of time the speed of your internet dec. After you cross a certain limit ( which they would not inform you because of obvious marketing reasons ). Yes you are not charged extra or there is nothing like so many g.bs extra consumed.
On the other hand yes there is an unlimited data plan ( which will be labelled like buisness plan and blah blah added with extra not needed usless features ) too but it does come with a hefty price :) a price from which 1700 platinum can be bought 2 times :)
And ofcourse it varies from place to place.
Plus people have to step out of their houses right? Everyone cant hug their bed the whole day and play A.L? So yes here comes the data packs : average consumption is 1 G.B in max 10 days even after switching religiously to wifi when at home. And thus have to get it renenwed. So it kind of isnt a free game when so much money is invested in internet itself.

Anarchist
08-22-2014, 06:00 PM
Bump

Anarchist
08-24-2014, 04:32 AM

Bump.

Amadorbibidor
08-24-2014, 09:16 PM
Not bad huh? -.-http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/25/bu2e9e7a.jpg

Sent from my old broken ugly phone using tapatalk 2 ^.^

Kingslaughter
08-25-2014, 10:12 AM
Same here...i dunno what happened

Before a lag issue ...i bought portable wifi about 4 month ago and i got 8gb quota...and every day i played AL my quota never ran out...and then 3 days ago when i played AL then suddenly disconnect....when i checked my email,they said i dont hav any quota left to play...am so confused and i bought 2gb quota to my wifi...just 1 hour ago i got disconnect again from server and i checked email...they said i dont hav more quota left on my wifi -_- i think there is smthin wrong about this server lagg issue

*sorry for my english

inkredible
08-25-2014, 08:02 PM
You guys play too much AL , thats what it means! lol! ive gone none wifi for a whole month before just to see how much data ill used up.. i cant even finish 6gb of my data ..
thats just ridiculous

Linkincena
09-08-2014, 01:14 AM
Hey Null_Void...

Any updates on Bandwidth profiling bro?

smartthegod
09-14-2014, 08:59 AM
As there is no official response, I'd like to share my data usage on Android, Sony Xperia Z1 Compact. I used an app called Network monitor mini pro to view current usage, and:
(just keep in mind 8 Mbit=1 MB so you please do calculation for yourself per hour)
Usage while outside combat: about 0.03 Mbit/s
while doing elites(tindirin in this case): about 0.08 mbit/s
while doing tomb runs: about 0.1 mbit/s
However, keep in mind, in combat usage depends on how many enemies at the same time have aggro on you, and how fast you use spells, potions and anything actually(however that doesnt make such a difference, this last thing about spells and pots).
So, for example, in tombs, usage can go even to 0.25 mbit/s when you pull like 40-50 enemies, and after you kill them and have less of them, usage decreases.
And also! Biggest data comsuption is map loading, of course. When some map loads, it loads with maximal network speed, and usually its like 0.2 MB per map.
And btw, in my country there are data plans where if you spend all MB/GB available, speed reduces to 64 kbit/s, or 0.064 mbit/s. Thats less speed than what elites uses, so what happens then?
Sometimes, ping can go up to 1k for a short time, making it generally playable, but with some dieing, so if you have similar data plan like mine, dont expect to rule in elites when speed drops to that.
I guess in some countries with data plans similar to this, speed may drop after all used GB to maybe 128 kbit/s or even more, and with that speed, you should be able to do anything without some big ping increase.