PDA

View Full Version : Grand Gems on Mythic Helm/Armor

Energizeric
08-14-2014, 07:00 PM
Hey all, I've been really unlucky when it comes to grand gems... I have fewer fingers on my hands than the number of them I've gotten since gems were introduced in AL.

For most of my gear, the alternative is to just buy the gear with the grand gems already on there, which I have done in most cases. However, you cannot buy the upgraded mythic helm & armor with gems. When you upgrade them, they lose their gems. I know this may sound hard to believe, but I have upgraded both the helm and armor every single night since gems have been released in AL, and I still do not have any grand gems on either the armor or helm.

I even went so far as to put tarlok wisdom gems in gem slot #2 & 3 on both the armor and helm, figuring at least I'd have 4 stat points per gem in the meantime while I continue to try for a grand glacial gem on slot #1. That was a few months ago, and still today both the helm and armor have a regular glacial gem in slot #1 and the tarlok wisdom gems in slots #2 & 3, none of them grand gems.

It seems that by the time I will have a grand gem on either of them they will probably no longer be useful to me as better gear will have come out.

I'm just curious if my bad luck is unique or if there are many other players who have had this experience. Because everyone I talk to seems to have full grand gems on all their mythic/arcane gear, and I'm just not sure how they do it.

Ebezaanec
08-14-2014, 07:18 PM
I have full grand on all my gear except for weapon.

My superstitious with RNG's cause me to place a gem in slot #3 one day and then slot #2 the next. It's an odd system but it worked for me. I do most of my gemming on 2x chance weekends.

That sounds like an extremely bad grand gem drought you are in.

Wutzgood
08-14-2014, 07:47 PM
Yeah with regemming I have terrible luck also. Only tried for full super with the wild amulet of brutality but I had gotten one super on first try. The second took a week of regemming 2 times a day.

I seem to get a lot of super gems on the first try but I will never try to regem anything again after the wild amulet. Now I just take super gems as I get them. Otherwise they stay normal.

Instanthumor
08-14-2014, 08:31 PM
True story: I never got a legitimate grand gem. After a point in time, I slapped myself in the face and platted everything... GG bud

GoodSyntax
08-14-2014, 08:36 PM
Yeah - my luck on gemming is pretty bad as well. I do the maximum 10 regems a day, and in a month, I'm usually lucky to get 3 or 4.

FluidShot
08-14-2014, 08:55 PM
All luck. I got my first two grands ever on my newly upgraded mythic helm back to back. Haven't gotten one since.

Kinda like crates for so many. Someone gets an arcane in 8 lockeds. Someone else opens 200 and gets nothing. Nature of gambling I guess. Feel bad for you though, that's a lot of tries...

Morholt
08-14-2014, 09:33 PM
I spent a good month once trying to get a grand gem on an item. Gave up a week into trying the next slot. QQ

-no
08-15-2014, 03:01 AM
Plat farm-use plat for gems-plat farm-use plat for gems

Energizeric
08-15-2014, 03:07 AM
I thought plat only speeds up the process. Does it make the odds better too? Because with my luck the last 6 months, I'd have probably dropped 2k plat and still had no grand gems.

Maybe I'll do some offers this weekend when the plat rewards are extra high and I'll hold that plat aside just for gems and see if the results are any better.

Instanthumor
08-15-2014, 03:08 AM
I thought plat only speeds up the process.

Correct.

Robhawk
08-15-2014, 03:40 AM
I'm just curious if my bad luck is unique or if there are many other players who have had this experience.

You are VERY unlucky there imho! I had all 3 slots with grand gems on armor and helm in around 3 or 4 weeks from the start without using plat. But i have to say the last 4 weeks with 3 tries a day i got only 1!

Markus Reynaldus
08-15-2014, 03:50 AM
You are not alone.. :) i already made grand gem on mythic helm the first weeki got that item but the armor/chest piece is still on normal gems. :) no matter how i tried that armor has a unique shield that prevent it from getting a grand gem.

I went to the test server with 45 blood gems :) used plat to hasten the upgrade of that chest piece but after my plat is gone theres no grand gems lol. I think this piece of equipment will never see the light of having a full grand gem anytime soon.

Andrisber
08-15-2014, 03:50 AM
i get grands on only crap i dont need lel

Newcomx
08-15-2014, 04:11 AM
I get perfect grand gem expedition assault & Lunar, 2 on vili, lunar, & lepre.. most of them using home made glacial :D ... Never got lucky with auction glacial

Newcomx
08-15-2014, 04:15 AM
Lunar perfect grand not 2

Reunegade
08-15-2014, 06:06 AM
I'm pretty lucky, my first gem ever on my mythic armor and I get a grand. I've also perfected a bunch of other things in a short time lol

Rare
08-15-2014, 06:15 AM
It probably doesn't matter, but I sometimes move my gear to an alt and upgrade there. Also, I prefer to craft with full slots on one toon rather than spread then out.

Doesn't always help, but it seems like it does. I had a fang if fenrir that I was upgrading for over 6 months and only got one grand gem. In that time I fully upgraded two mythic helms/armor, blood ruby, and magmatic set and weapon.

I eventually gave up and sold the fang when I got a wild talisman.

As another example, I've been upgrading two elondrian rifles, mythic sorcerer helm/armor and pendant. It's mostly complete except one gem in my helm. Oh, and my armor has ZERO grand gems.

Serancha
08-15-2014, 06:19 AM
Ener, it's not just you. Took me over 8 months to get my full set perfect. My mage was luckier and only took 4 months gemming twice a day...

Bigboyblue
08-15-2014, 06:32 AM
I have been upgrading for 4 months or so now. Chest got full supered yesterday, helm has 1 super only. It is a real crap chute. That being said, I upgraded a piece of gear on my twink and got back to back supers. Unfortunately it wasn't a piece I use lol.

keikali
08-15-2014, 07:36 AM
I thought plat only speeds up the process. Does it make the odds better too? Because with my luck the last 6 months, I'd have probably dropped 2k plat and still had no grand gems.

Maybe I'll do some offers this weekend when the plat rewards are extra high and I'll hold that plat aside just for gems and see if the results are any better.

Do not waste your plat. I've plat through timers during DOUBLE ODDS and nothing. This is purely 100% luck.

I've noticed if you have full maxed (5) slots of crafting, your odds seem to improve. Sometimes you get nothing, but generally speaking when I craft all 5 slots I noticed way better results.

Sorcerie
08-15-2014, 09:34 AM
Yea, as everyone has already said its all luck.

Last gem double odds I walked away with a perfect blood ruby, lunar, and two on my armor, one on helm and one on my magmatic. A few days later I perfected that magmatic totem and my mythic armor, and since then I have seen nothing and it's been a month or so and I try every night, so yea...dat luck. zzz

Still working on my helm and now I have a Kersh to worry about. Here's to double odds weekend again. xD

Candylicks
08-15-2014, 11:42 AM
I gave up. I have one grand in helm and one in body. After burning tons and tons of plat over double odds weekend I said screw it. My mythics have 2 blues one red. I think it gives close stats to 3 tarlok wisdom.

You are not alone w/o perfect mythics.

basketholic209
08-15-2014, 01:00 PM
I believe the chance is around 1 / 20.
I got that figure by gemming 40 items per 12 hours for around 2 - 3 weeks.

And yes, you're pretty unlucky in this case, Ener :/

Thrindal
08-15-2014, 02:31 PM
Hmmm I have terrible luck with crates but I have decent luck with gems. Honestly I would take the reverse. The key is to be persistent with 2 gems a day, I never plat finish gems. Gem prices are a bit high atm which does make it more expensive.

Most of my gems were perfected when fire gems were around 3k each.

- Samdegreat
08-15-2014, 02:58 PM
You get better odds if you gem 5 items at a time, I was told and tried it and I got super gem almost every other day on at least one item :)

Probably not better odds, but it works haha

Morholt
08-15-2014, 10:07 PM
So...I have horrible luck with gemming...but today.

I got an arcane ring for my mage.
Socketed a wisdom gem into: normal.
Socket a second wisdom: grand!
Socket a third wisdom: normal.
Resocketed the third with another wisdom: grand!

...but this was in the test server. :(

Yup, 2/4 wisdom gems in an arcane ring came out as grand...in the pretend server...
There goes my gemming luck for the next year. *sigh*

Qamr
08-17-2014, 01:37 AM
I think the chance of grand gem is less than 5%
in test server i use like 1k plat in upgrading the arcane ring to figure that out i got 1 grand from almost 20 times

SacredKnight
08-17-2014, 02:07 AM
Here is a true story, I was trying to gem my Pavise to make it perfect. I gemmed it day in day night for nearly have a year and got no luck, I decided to give up on it :/ Then a few days later, I was bored so I gemmed a common item ( I can't remember which ) and you can probably guess... It got a grand gem .-.

basketholic209
08-17-2014, 02:41 AM
Here is a true story, I was trying to gem my Pavise to make it perfect. I gemmed it day in day night for nearly have a year and got no luck, I decided to give up on it :/ Then a few days later, I was bored so I gemmed a common item ( I can't remember which ) and you can probably guess... It got a grand gem .-.
True story? Common item? I don't think so.

Jurmans
08-17-2014, 05:50 AM
True story? Common item? I don't think so.

Lol i gemmed my myth helm 15 times and already got bored ^_^, my goblin glaive got 2 grands in 5 tries-.-"

Haligali
08-17-2014, 07:07 AM
Its a daily routine, nothing special. Do not use plat, its a waste! Just matter of time, and a few grand gem less or more doesnt really matter.

Ebezaanec
08-17-2014, 09:42 AM

No socket on common? Lowest is epic?

Hmm...

Ophelia
08-17-2014, 10:57 AM
You're not entirely alone in your situation, Energizeric.

If it is any consolation,
I once went on a grand-gem dry spell for a whole 2 months straight.
Re-gemmed several items twice daily..not a single grand gem :/

As many have said, it ultimately boils down to an individual's luck.

MoloToha
08-17-2014, 11:13 AM
I heard that some players use weaknesses in random number generator to improve their chance to get a grand as well as they exploit these weaknesses when opening lockeds to have better odds.

aarrgggggg
08-17-2014, 11:16 AM
Here is your solution..... if the odds to get a grand gem are 1/20 approximately.
Make 4 toons if you dont already have 4 toons and fill all 5 slots on all the toons.........
You will average roughly 1 grand gem every time you do this.
Keep all 20 slots full for a week or two and you would be quite suprised how many grand gems you get.

In the end it is all purely luck but persistence and also sheer number of items that you have upgrading will largely impact your results.
Trust me this works

MoloToha
08-17-2014, 11:20 AM
Also, standing in elite, unequipping/equipping lepre and shouting "Supergem" every time I take an item improves my odds somehow, in this way I fully gemmed my mythic set, architect blade, tarlok heart and epic ring in about a month when cap was 36.

aarrgggggg
08-17-2014, 11:21 AM
I heard that some players use weaknesses in random number generator to improve their chance to get a grand as well as they exploit these weaknesses when opening lockeds to have better odds.A weakness in a random number generator??? that can be exploited? sounds far fetched especially as locks are concerned. I;m sure some people believe this and only open locked or finish a craft at a specific time......however i just consider that superstition.

basketholic209
08-17-2014, 11:46 AM
Lol i gemmed my myth helm 15 times and already got bored ^_^, my goblin glaive got 2 grands in 5 tries-.-"
Err goblin glaive is not common item dude, lol :)

basketholic209
08-17-2014, 11:48 AM
Here is your solution..... if the odds to get a grand gem are 1/20 approximately.
Make 4 toons if you dont already have 4 toons and fill all 5 slots on all the toons.........
You will average roughly 1 grand gem every time you do this.
Keep all 20 slots full for a week or two and you would be quite suprised how many grand gems you get.

In the end it is all purely luck but persistence and also sheer number of items that you have upgrading will largely impact your results.
Trust me this works
Well, actually that won't help Ener at all as the things that he wants to be super gemmed is upgraded mythic helm and armor :)

aarrgggggg
08-17-2014, 12:07 PM
Well, actually that won't help Ener at all as the things that he wants to be super gemmed is upgraded mythic helm and armor :)Well yes and no, that is correct if you have 20 items upgrading u cannot choose specifically what items get the grand gems......however by upgrading this many items at once you do know that your overall odds of getting a grand gem on something is much higher.
But it still depends upon luck as to specifically which item will get the grand.

Personally i find this method to be a fast track way to getting many perfect items without using plat to bypass timers.
We all know perfect items are worth more than ungemmed items so this method shouldnt hurt your bankroll too much either.
Just be selective about which 20 items you are upgrading.

Kakashis
08-17-2014, 12:53 PM
don't worry about getting full geting full grand. You'll go crazy once you get 2 grand and that last one would driven you even more insane!

Energizeric
08-17-2014, 02:04 PM
Thanks all. Currently I have been upgrading 7 items daily. 3 on my main (mythic helm, armor and elondrian rifle), and 4 on my level 10 twink (got lucky and already got 2 grand gems on the helm, but other items not so lucky). In the past 2 weeks I have gotten 1 grand. So that is 98 tries, 1 grand.

I think the odds are lower than 1 in 20, probably I'm guessing more like 1 in 40 or 50. It's not that I never get a grand, it's just that the 2 items I cannot buy with grand are the two that never seem to get lucky enough to get one. I guess I will keep trying as it appears we will continue to use the mythic armor and helm for some time to come, probably until the winter at least.

nelson131
08-17-2014, 09:53 PM
my lep and trash druid is perfect..all 1st time. also i think chanxes are 1grand in 4 tries. but ive never got grands on any good gear......so sts likes to troll us.......

Bless
08-17-2014, 10:10 PM
Got my helm and armor full super in less than a month of inconsistent crafting cycles. Unfortunately my mythic bow is being a $&! and not getting supers on slot 2 & 3 after a month!

Morholt
08-18-2014, 01:10 AM
my lep and trash druid is perfect..all 1st time. also i think chanxes are 1grand in 4 tries. but ive never got grands on any good gear......so sts likes to troll us.......Sounds like someone has a 37 leaf clover, a lucky rabbit, and keeps a leprechaun tied to his leg while socketing...