PDA

View Full Version : I'm starting to HATE NOOB BEARS PLAYERS!!!!!

Junside
01-18-2011, 07:32 PM
I am completely fine with people who can control their bears. And I know people who do. But bear players who think they're the center of the team, I now hate with a passion. I am booting reckless bears from now on.

Taking all the orbs against Gurgox, stomping the boss out of the room where it takes nearly a minute for him to come back in.

They don't even aggro

Pure meatheads.

flaimdude
01-18-2011, 07:33 PM
Don't be hatin' on noobs. Eventually they learn. Also, you were a noob once too.

Junside
01-18-2011, 07:35 PM
I'm talking about level 50 bear players doing this.

And no, I always try to play smart. When the boss is inching near the doorway where their health might possibly reset, I circle around and use a repulse shot to knock him back into the room.

There is nothing I can do to be more aggravating than the actions listed above by bears.

Arterra
01-18-2011, 07:36 PM
same thing. everyone is powerleveling...

Pharcyde
01-18-2011, 07:39 PM
Don't be hatin' on noobs. Eventually they learn. Also, you were a noob once too.

Actually I seemed to skip that whole stage. You know... how some babies are born with certain.. lower uh.. gifts?

Baked-Potato
01-18-2011, 07:42 PM
A lot of bears don't understand how to tank. They don't control the crowd, always using stomp in unessecary situations. And worst of all, they never, NEVER use Taunt.

Ona
01-18-2011, 07:43 PM
+1... some don't even tank at all, they follow (just in case the can rev the group I guess ;-) and give a few sword hits at the end of the fight. That's why I make a good bear, to be in front line!!!

Pharcyde
01-18-2011, 07:46 PM
A lot of bears don't understand how to tank. They don't control the crowd, always using stomp in unessecary situations. And worst of all, they never, NEVER use Taunt.

you mean beckon? Taunt is their first buff they get.

Beckon = pretty useless on bosses. Thats why most tanks don't use it. A proper tank NEEDS beckon in Elite now though.

Kossi
01-18-2011, 07:48 PM
+1... some don't even tank at all, they follow (just in case the can rev the group I guess ;-) and give a few sword hits at the end of the fight. That's why I make a good bear, to be in front line!!!

i came across a battleforged bear with a lv45 sword, didnt even use health potions

Baked-Potato
01-18-2011, 07:50 PM
you mean beckon? Taunt is their first buff they get.

Beckon = pretty useless on bosses. Thats why most tanks don't use it. A proper tank NEEDS beckon in Elite now though.

I mean Taunt. Taunt helps bear gain and keep aggro. Most bears don't use, which in turn means they never get aggro and mobs/bosses gain up on another player.

Beckon is useful on bosses if its done right. It helps pull bosses to corners/walls so they can be killed faster and not just bounce around the map and have everyone chase them.

Pharcyde
01-18-2011, 07:54 PM
I mean Taunt. Taunt helps bear gain and keep aggro. Most bears don't use, which in turn means they never get aggro and mobs/bosses gain up on another player.

Beckon is useful on bosses if its done right. It helps pull bosses to corners/walls so they can be killed faster and not just bounce around the map and have everyone chase them.

Taunt = 12 second buff +6 dodge. Hows that help hold aggro?

Beckon = 50% chance of stun and pulls opponent towards you. Problem is it works like 1 out of every 10 tries on a boss.

Baked-Potato
01-18-2011, 08:06 PM
Taunt = 12 second buff +6 dodge. Hows that help hold aggro?

Beckon = 50% chance of stun and pulls opponent towards you. Problem is it works like 1 out of every 10 tries on a boss.

Taunt is more then just +6 dodge (that is what evade is for) Taunt gains the aggro of enemies within the area, changing it to the bear. It doesn't work 100% of the time, but most of the time when I use it, it changes the aggro from the other party member onto me. Doesn't last forever, but by the time the skill cools down and I use it again it will change/keep the aggro onto me.

And in my experience beckon works a lot more often than 1/10 on bosses. I'd say more like 8/10. Or atleast around there.

Zeus
01-18-2011, 08:13 PM
Well not all bear's are like that :). I make sure and at the end of each boss, I will ask my team when I'm playing my bear, "Did you get any aggro, and if they say yes, I start paying more attention to my taunt and using it even more". I will tank even better for you if you spam heal me as well. I once did an elite dungeon map with the entire team only using about 20 health pots each....

Lesrider
01-18-2011, 08:17 PM
Lol I don't play my bear anymore bc I get so frustrated at how little damage I deal compared to my Mage. I end up spam stomping just to feel like I'm actually dealing some damage.
I only liked playing my bear back in the days when mages were frail and could barely survive ao3.

Phoenixking
01-18-2011, 08:25 PM
Muchos osos son puros mensos q no saben como pelear en pocket legends que pena!

Kujen
01-18-2011, 08:26 PM
Taunt is more then just +6 dodge (that is what evade is for) Taunt gains the aggro of enemies within the area, changing it to the bear. It doesn't work 100% of the time, but most of the time when I use it, it changes the aggro from the other party member onto me. Doesn't last forever, but by the time the skill cools down and I use it again it will change/keep the aggro onto me.

And in my experience beckon works a lot more often than 1/10 on bosses. I'd say more like 8/10. Or atleast around there.

Yeah taunt is something that will almost always work as long as you use it everytime it cools down. Beckon definitely works on bosses, like the witch in the shadow caves...if you have a bear to stun her with beckon/stomp she is much easier. It's also great to pack the enemies together so other classes can use combos on them, like nature strike.

Stomp I realize can be annoying for other party members. That's why I only have one point in it, so I can stun enemies without spreading them across the room.

Pharcyde
01-18-2011, 08:28 PM

It does? Newbie bear here :).

My experiences with the bear in dungeons is beckon hardly works on boss, because whenever I cast it. Someone fire blasts or blast shots the boss and beckon effect becomes usless.

Phoenixking
01-18-2011, 08:28 PM
I can use a bear i use taunt stomp at appropiate times and use fighting combos while taunt cools but mages dont heal spam so i cant last lomg

Arterra
01-18-2011, 08:29 PM
are you guys going to make me get my bear out of hibernation and actually PLAY on him?? ugh.... maybe

Phoenixking
01-18-2011, 08:32 PM
Ypu read the spanish post i made and the chest one i made the guy say certain stuff

RedRyder
01-18-2011, 08:41 PM
Yea it takes too much effort to fix a bear user's stupidity. If I'm on my Mage I tend not to revive then when they finally get themselves killed

Phoenixking
01-18-2011, 08:48 PM
Thats mean what if it was for a good reason

Ayrilana
01-18-2011, 10:20 PM
Thats mean what if it was for a good reason

What if the good reason was so they don't kill everyone else?

Tsarra
01-18-2011, 10:36 PM
Well, if any of you see me doing anything like this, let me know...and don't let me read about it on the forums later. While I don't know a lot of the lingo used in MMOs, I can actually play these games once I have some proper instruction. :P

As an aside, I had no idea what the green orbs were for when I first saw them. After Gurgox killed us all 3 and 4 times I was advised that I should be grabbing one so I can res the party after he screams if no one else makes it to one. That was not obvious, and typing on an iPhone leaves something to be desired anyway, so I didn't get to argue the point or explain the fact that I'd never seen Gurgox before (and still haven't beaten him). Also, how the heck do you people talk and walk at the same time??? And why do people expect me to respond to friend requests and trade with them while I'm drawing all the aggro? Just wondering on these last two.

Zeus
01-18-2011, 10:39 PM
Well, if any of you see me doing anything like this, let me know...and don't let me read about it on the forums later. While I don't know a lot of the lingo used in MMOs, I can actually play these games once I have some proper instruction. :P

As an aside, I had no idea what the green orbs were for when I first saw them. After Gurgox killed us all 3 and 4 times I was advised that I should be grabbing one so I can res the party after he screams if no one else makes it to one. That was not obvious, and typing on an iPhone leaves something to be desired anyway, so I didn't get to argue the point or explain the fact that I'd never seen Gurgox before (and still haven't beaten him). Also, how the heck do you people talk and walk at the same time??? And why do people expect me to respond to friend requests and trade with them while I'm drawing all the aggro? Just wondering on these last two.

Tap to walk and you tap far away and just type until your character reaches that destination :). Or you can hold the joystick and then hit the keyboard option, while still holding the joystick, although a part of your keyboard may be unusable to due a part of your hand holding that joystick, you will still be able to get a coherent message to the party, without killing yourself in the process.

Zeus
01-18-2011, 10:40 PM
Yea it takes too much effort to fix a bear user's stupidity. If I'm on my Mage I tend not to revive then when they finally get themselves killed

Are you calling me stupid Max :).

Junside
01-18-2011, 10:41 PM

If you absolutely must take an orb, then by all means, take it. There were times when the whole party was dead, and I had to solo him with my bird or die. Ended up having to solo him, which isn't hard.

I can walk and talk because I have a Droid 2, with a physical keyboard. So I tap somewhere and type. My on-screen keyboard doesnt take up half the screen either. Only about a quarter.

Tsarra
01-18-2011, 10:41 PM
Or you can hold the joystick and then hit the keyboard option, while still holding the joystick, although a part of your keyboard may be unusable to due a part of your hand holding that joystick, you will still be able to get a coherent message to the party, without killing yourself in the process.

This was the option I'd discovered...I can still only manage to squeak out a "K" or something, though. I guess it takes practice.

Ladylove
01-18-2011, 10:56 PM
I hate it when bears don't tank right... I'm an inexperienced bear, but I know that taunt changes the target. When we get to a boss and I'm playing on my mage in cosmos, I should NOT take all the aggro. Also bears that just don't want to go first. Do not expect an enchantress to be the tank of the party. Go first and take the hits, that's your job. I will spam buffs, heals, and debuffs...

Pharcyde
01-18-2011, 11:22 PM
I hate it when bears don't tank right... I'm an inexperienced bear, but I know that taunt changes the target. When we get to a boss and I'm playing on my mage in cosmos, I should NOT take all the aggro. Also bears that just don't want to go first. Do not expect an enchantress to be the tank of the party. Go first and take the hits, that's your job. I will spam buffs, heals, and debuffs...

dayum.. shes got a feisty side... Keep doing your job right lady.. I'm also sick of all the lame mages/bears out there who don't do their jobs. Birds don't do nut'n. They basically walk with the group and only serve well on boss fights. Easy Peazy yo!....

Ladylove
01-18-2011, 11:26 PM
dayum.. shes got a feisty side... Keep doing your job right lady.. I'm also sick of all the lame mages/bears out there who don't do their jobs. Birds don't do nut'n. They basically walk with the group and only serve well on boss fights. Easy Peazy yo!....

Hard to do the job when others don't do theirs lol. Would do pally, but with int I can do wayyyy more damage

Pharcyde
01-18-2011, 11:32 PM
Hard to do the job when others don't do theirs lol. Would do pally, but with int I can do wayyyy more damage

Agreed. Ever try solo crush the keeper with a attack pot just for kicks and giggles? Its like clearing forest haven...

Ladylove
01-18-2011, 11:33 PM
Agreed. Ever try solo crush the keeper with a attack pot just for kicks and giggles? Its like clearing forest haven...

Ahahahaha ikr. Or plasma pyramid is hilarious

Junside
01-18-2011, 11:35 PM

I think birds help a lot in debuff, significant hit % increase, and can do a fair share of clearing mobs. The good players anyway.

Pharcyde
01-18-2011, 11:39 PM
I think birds help a lot in debuff, significant hit % increase, and can do a fair share of clearing mobs. The good players anyway.

They are, but their mainly 1v1 damage. Their main role is bosses. Mob nuking is up to mages.

Zeus
01-19-2011, 01:17 AM
They are, but their mainly 1v1 damage. Their main role is bosses. Mob nuking is up to mages.

I can help a lot while clearing though. What I do while I'm in a team is learn in what order the elf's cast lightning so just before that I hit both of my roots, causing the extreme damage combo "Nature-strike", people don't realize it but it helps A LOT.

giayuan
01-19-2011, 01:23 AM
Lol kicks and giggles pharcyde? anyway, yeah int mage pwns =)

Otukura
01-19-2011, 01:35 AM
Birds are fine... they can clear easily... thorn wall does around 270 damage with scarab bow of horus... with other stuff, who knows.

lordme
01-19-2011, 08:17 AM
Oh beckon does works on bosses. I like beckon as i pulled the boss and stomped him against the wall. Your 1/10 maybe your beckon is not at max lv? Anyway sometimes a bear has to stomp and disperse the crowd if mobs are targeting the mages due to their aoe. Aoe attracts mobs, as i found out with my mage

Firepants
01-19-2011, 08:42 AM
Back in the day it wasn't always like this, before the powerleveling was even an option and before the nerfs. Bears were the bomb. They commanded the group and took control. Then powerleveling started and those people never had the proper time to learn how to control their bear. Then the nerf made them completely useless. I never ever brought my bear out at this time. Now we have a problem of a bunch of new bears that powerleveled and have not played with a skilled group of bears. They just have no idea what they are suppose to do. The Other day while killing keeper I think I told the bear tens times to taunt. I held aggro the entire time. He taunted maybe once. Also back when ao3 first came out, the bears were suppa useful in drawing the crowds into the corner and then we would nuke the shizz out of them. I never ever see that anymore.

BeardedBear
01-19-2011, 09:18 AM
couple things about bears.

1. No reason to not ALWAYS spam taunt, as it costs no mana, is a buff, gains aggro, and stacks.
2. Beckon IS useful against bosses. Like junside said about bosses creeping near doorways, he will sneak behind them and repulse them back into the room. Well bears can easily do the same thing with stomp, or they beckon pull, followed by a stomp to move the boss quite easily, and don't even get me started with stomp/beckon corner jams. Def works more than 1 out of 10 times to on bosses. I'd go as far to say 6/10 or more.

BeefyMeat
01-19-2011, 09:30 AM
Ladylove, you are 100% correct. Expecting mages to cast and birds to attack, then having a bear run in and act like they're trying to tank is annoying. Also, the latest noobish move that kills me is people who open all the cases on Captive Audience before the hall is clear and now on top of the numerous aliens, you have prisoners running around. Have some patience and things go a lot smoother.

frostine
01-19-2011, 12:19 PM
Wow...so happy I found this thread. One would think a bears only skill was stomp. I'm an all INT mage so my hits can be strong. I sense people think that I can also tank when they see a powerful offense, hence bears often trailing behind me watching me receive all of the damage. Not all bears do this...it's probably the power levelers that unfortunately missed out on learning their skill set through experience.

We've got two types of bear problems:

1) 'Pro' bears (aka power levelers) who didn't take the time to learn all of their skills and stomp at inappropriate times messing up boss kills and making the party run around when it's not necessary.
2) Low level bears (below lvl 20 in AO) stomping bosses out of bounds, running ahead of the party and running back luring entire mobs before the party has finished killing the previous one, and simply those leeching for xp while doing nothing when that spot could be used by a higher level person who could actually contribute or needs that xp. With considerably far less armor than an all INT mage, it is doubtful a lvl 12 bear actually has something to contribute to a party in AO since they are not equipped to handle the defense we need and certainly can't hit.

Last night I kindly asked a lvl 50 bear to please not stomp a boss we were killing in the desert out of bounds, but rather pin it against a wall or in a corner so the whole group doesn't have to run around or risk the boss regaining full HP. Instead, he stands against the wall and just stomps it away. Meanwhile the rest of us are trying to keep it contained, are doing all the damage, and also receiving all of the damage. The bear had no idea..completely didn't understand why his stomp was counterproductive since he seemed to think it was a great idea. In the back of my mind I'm wondering if the person playing the bear was playing under another persons account because they didn't seem to know what to do but only looked pro on paper.

On the other hand, there are so many lower levels in general (not just bears) constantly jumping into AO parties that I've straight up started only reviving those who belong there, or abandoning them altogether and finding a group of people my level that is almost full so that it can't be overtaken by low levels joining in to trail behind and leech.

I know we can create locked games, but there really should be a minimum level requirement for each set of maps. Let anyone go to an areas village so they can check it out, but first gain xp in the area a player is meant to gain xp in before entering dungeons on higher level maps. I don't know why anyone would want to rush to get to lvl 50. The game progression is fairly fast when played normally. If you think otherwise, play 'The World of Magic' and you will be crying when it takes three months to get to level 30...and beyond level 30 you only progress at rate of 2% an hour with hardcore grinding, taking weeks to level.

I'm not used to players in the roll of warrior NOT tanking...it's straight up bizarre. If all mage stopped healing and spam healing when appropriate...this msg board would be blowing up in constant uproar.

Fyrce
01-19-2011, 01:29 PM
Love this thread.

It reminds me of the bear last night who followed my AMAZING TANKING INT MAGE! (Everyone clap :) ) Level 50 bear, two-handed sword, chicken in disguise :P Is it just me or does it seem like more of the noob bears wield 2-handed weapons? :P I'm starting to think if I see a bear w/ a 2-handed weapon that that means my bird/mage will be tanking...

For bear, you need beckon at level 5. Huge difference between level 4 and level 5. I remember as a young bear, I'd watch the older ones gather and I'd keep trying and nada, nothing: Mobs glanced at me and went on their merry way :P But when I got beckon to 5 ... it was "come to mama" or was it "come to papa" ? Between beckon, taunt and the occasional stomp, the bear should be able to control mobs very nicely.

Well, ok, unless things are jumping around. Is this lag? Because sometimes ping can be ok, but everything's jumping. Can't tell where group is. Then it can be a bit difficult to do crowd control.

Taunt gets all the mobs aggro for a short time, but it really saves the party and bears can always combo that w/ beckon to keep mobs away from the birds/mages, though birds/mages should try to stay NEAR the bear, instead of running far away :P

And yeah, as a bird, I love watching the group to see whether there might be better timing for my shattering scream and thorn wall. Don't forget that the cool-down on lightning is really fast, so it's hard to miss the nature-strike combo and I gotta say, I love that combo.

As I've said before, I think there're just as many noob mages and birds as noob bears. It's just easier to spot the stomping bears.

I've seen non-healing mages (play a bird and see how often you've got to pot in a group w/ 3 mages :P ) Easy to tell when you get a healing mage and unfortunately, it's probably 50-50 for healing/non-healing mages, maybe a few more non-healing than healing. Mages heal better if you tell them to heal for ice and/or stun. LOL.

I've seen birds do very little damage, even with nice weapons. How's that happen? And of course, no debuffs from those birds, which is too bad, because birdie debuffs rock.

As for the low levels, I try to leave a few mobs they've got to go through or I'll let them tank :P I'll wait on the other side of the dungeon for the 2-minutes or so for them to die and discover the level 50 isn't helping them. So far, I haven't found any of them sticking around to wait for me... I suppose there might be persistent ones out there though. I do try first to see if the lowbie are helpful or not, though a level 9 isn't that useful in shadow caves.

That's assuming I don't have a group to go with... if we do, then yeah, we try to join as quickly as possible to keep the lowbies out. LOL.

Norbert
01-19-2011, 01:40 PM
I've found it enlightening to play as each class. Unfortunately players seem to lay blame rather than try to work together in many cases. I was playing my archer in shadow caves (needed some frustration in my life) and had a mage say 'bird, do something.' At the time I was using sb bow and spamming my skills and staying alive Not sure what he was referring to (and it may have been another archer in the party), but I did something -- left the party.

Anyway, I've found it frustrating that taunt doesn't work better. I always spam taunt and use beckon a ton (I'd say it works 8/10, plus does undocumented damage according to posts on these here forums). However I can't always hold aggro. It's useful to do Keeper to see this as you'll see the player with aggro bouncing like a yo-yo. Even if I'm spamming taunt and using my skills all I can, often aggro will switch off me to whoever is doing highest dps - bird or mage. I'll bekon to stun and try to stomp into a corner and keep using taunt, but it never just works 100%.

I get the feeling that players who don't play bears think that if aggro isn't on the bear that they aren't using taunt. In some cases, yes, (I'm looking at your, dex bear), but many times we are probably spamming it, but the boss is reacting to the higher dps.

From playing the different classes, the benefits of teamwork really come out. Bear bekons, then screams. Mage drops terror right after bekon, while archer throws thorns and then does cruel blast combo. Mage then does lightning, then frost and finally fire to clean up anything left. Bear can also stomp then too, though most everything should be pretty wiped. Wash rinse repeat... cleans like tide.

Anyway, blame is easy. Try little tips or say, hey, bekon and taunt and I'll spam heal and... or whatever. Even with power leveling a few tips will get players on the right track. If you don't play the class, be sure you know what you're talking about, and if you do, sharing your experience can help make everyone's PL a better place. Blame doesn't ever do anything productive and just makes people feel bad.

Firepants
01-19-2011, 01:47 PM
Oo I'll lay blame on any bear that doesn't taunt after I asked him to several times lol. Don't forget that we can see if you are using taunt or not...... So if u spam taunt, we can see that you are.

Fyrce
01-19-2011, 02:12 PM
I've taunted before and swear I don't always see the exclamation marks in the middle of fights, but then maybe too much going on.

As bird/mage, I know I will get aggro sometimes even with a good bear. The good bears will usually pull the mob back before I get too much damage though, which is nice, but I know it's impossible all the time.

I still do tell people to scream, thorn, whatever, but I will say that generally if by level 50 they're not doing that, they might do it one time when I tell them, but you can see they don't do it regularly. Some of them will even say, "I do. See?", do the skill, and then go back to not doing the skill, like I can't see them NOT doing it :P Generally if the player hasn't explored their skills when they're "pros", they won't just because you tell them. Hell, I've PM'd some regularly and don't remember one changing their style of play. That's usually when I get asked what that skill is and whether it's something they can do :P which usually gets me killed because I'm laughing so hard :)

I still do try to train groups, but there really are hopeless people out there. The good thing is that generally I only need a team of about 3 to do just about anything. The exception is shadow caves. A good full group is very nice in there.

Firepants
01-19-2011, 02:25 PM
When I said that I can see taunt, I meant the icon of taunt by your name. Even if it isn't working you can see if you tried at least.
Yea, I do try to teach as well. It has gotten more frustrating though. This time that I asked the bear to taunt like 20 times ended up saying "I'm trying". Then he added "how do I taunt?". This was a level 50 bear....... Need I say more? That's like a level 50 Mage saying how do I revive, which sadly I have seen before too, and yes that time I did die because I laughed so freakin hard. And yes, you can still get aggro with keeper even if bear spam taunts. But not for very long.

Sadly, the game has changed. It has become so easy for people to level too fast. I also think that the quests should actually teach them a skill...... It makes no sense why this isn't happening.

But back on subject, yes there are more noob bears then ever and I do think it is because the skilled bears stopped playing after the nerf. A lot of people learned using the bear right by watching a good skilled bear.

Pandamoni
01-19-2011, 02:28 PM
This is why I'm slowly leveling my bear and my bird. I think leveling the right way really helps you learn your character at lower levels where your stupidity is a little more easily tolerated.

I do agree, though, that it's really weird how few bears know how to tank. Last night I was doing a run on Crush the Keeper and for the first time since I don't know when I wasn't holding aggro! Even more surprising was that a bear was holding aggro! He really used taunt! I saved him as a friend right away I was so excited, lol.

And since we're at it, I have to say that mages who won't heal really perplex me. I had one the other day actually say straight out, "I don't heal", when someone asked us to spam heal. I was the only one healing the group. I'm fine with that but it would have been more effective had we both been spamming heal. Refusing to heal is just kind of weird, IMO.

Firepants
01-19-2011, 02:40 PM
This thread has inspired me to bring out the bear. I guess it's time to start teaching.

A Mage that said "I don't heal" lmao WTF?!! I would have died laughing... Then said some choice words lol. Yea, I have been in a party of mostly all mages and me being the only one healing. It's crazy because at level 50 it costs practically nothing to spam heal the party....

Norbert
01-19-2011, 04:01 PM
I've seen that too with mages that don't heal, and even seen that exact phrase uttered. To some extent I think it's all the str mages, but not only.

I get the feeling that in general there are a lot of players who don't use their skills very much. Even given that some people have hardware keyboards, when I'm in the caves my fingers are busy gulping health pots and spamming my skills. No way I could chat, but I see players doing that all the time. Talking about trading or hoping to get a drop or whatever. It seems like they must push the auto attack and wait for the battle to end.

Agularra
01-19-2011, 05:14 PM
Don't forget lvl 50 noob bears who when your glitching the witch in Shadow Caves to draw out Prince they go charging in before everyone is ready. Don't care how bad azz you think u are u cannot beat shadow witch alone and you get everyone else killed in the mean time. If u do it once cuz u don't know better fine, but when we tell u to wait and u still think your atilla the hun and continue to get us killed that's were I get mad. You end up looking more like Winnie the Pooh.

Baked-Potato
01-19-2011, 05:27 PM
I can solo Shadow Witch (:

Anywho, this thread has inspired me to write a Tanking guide since there isn't one and hopefully it will help eliminate some of the Level 50 noob bears.

Fyrce
01-20-2011, 01:35 AM
LOL. I admit to not minding dying that much for a good laugh :P

I'm not too hopeful about training level 50s who don't use their skills. The players that seem trainable are lower level newish type people and people who are already trying their skills. They love hearing how to use their skills better or how to do combos or other playing tips, but you can see they're already trying. They would have found out on their own with time. Now that's gratifying.

But these powerleveled/leeched "pros" are, I think, hopeless. They already "know" how to play, so they're not listening to the noob that's unable to save their behinds, because you know, their deaths are other people's fault and their failed parties other people's fault or the mobs are much too hard and need to be nerfed :P Or it's because obviously those level 50s that say a run is possible must have magical super special equipment and special hidden elixirs. Of course!

Oh man, I'm cracking myself up again. LOL.

Junside
01-20-2011, 02:56 AM
I'm glad to see so many people who understand that something needs to be done. I find myself teaching people how to run victory lap every day, and I don't mind at all doing that, since I need to rely on my party to live.

Ran into a useless mage a few minutes ago by the name of grizzlykitty or something.

Did a fine job following the party, but didn't heal, revive, or take orbs. What's that? A waste of space. His/her excuse was that he/she was on the phone.

... you can follow the party but you can't heal? I said straight up he/she was a useless mage, and this fool had the audacity to call me a useless bird. My mana was at near empty from enforcing alien brutality.

Had to finish the rest of vl with 2 birds and a bear. Did better without the useless mage.

Thelonearcher
01-20-2011, 03:12 AM
Why not just hate every noob.....

Tsarra
01-20-2011, 03:17 AM

*sadness* *cry* *cry* *sadness*

Firepants
01-20-2011, 03:24 AM
Lol. Just did gurg with a noob group. Lol. Holy crap, I asked if everyone knew how to kill him, and they all said yes. Then I said only mages get the orbs..... We get in there lol and one mage says" I'll stay outside in case someone needs revived" I'm like WTF? And I tell him he will die anyway to come in and he says " I won't die if I dont attack" lol. We start attacking and WTF is the bear doing??? Lol he is running around catching every orb! Lol. Omg. So after we all die , I explain how it works. We get back in there and the dude does it again! I'm like what are u doing?? He says " this is how I have always done it". So we all die. We go back again, I'm explaining on the way for the mages to listen for the sound. Lol. We start to attack.. The bird steals my orb... Ugh lol. Then I ask if anyone else heard the growl lol, and one Mage said" idk, I don't have my sound turned on". Omg! I just couldn't stop laughing!!!

Agent
01-20-2011, 06:50 AM
Junside.. like flaim said your once were a noob and..... like you knew all the tactics when we all started? we felt the same when new players came in after ao2 came out.

Firepants
01-20-2011, 07:36 AM
Junside.. like flaim said your once were a noob and..... like you knew all the tactics when we all started? we felt the same when new players came in after ao2 came out.
This is crazy ... Sorry but did u just read my post? There is a difference between a NOOB and a NEWB. a noob is someone who should know better. Like the crew I killed gurg with. Even though I taught them how to kill him, they were so stubborn and didn't listen to me....... This coming from all level 50s. There is no excuse for this kind of stupidity..... Sorry there isn't. If you are a level 50 mage and dont know how to revive? Are you kidding me? I have ALWAYS helped out new people. Yea i remember what it was like and if someone said only mages get the orbs, then you better believe that i let only the mages get the orbs. I also never lied and said i knew how to kill any boss.... I would straight up tell them..... Never done this before, how do we do it...z im sorry but there is no way in hell i crying for any stubborn noob.

A NEWB is someone new to the experience.. Yep, we have all been here. But I can guarantee that any NEWB in my group will understand what to do because they ask or I ask.....if they succeed, good... If not? I give them tips and never leave the group until the goal is done......

So no, I have NO pity on a noob. I was never a noob, only a newb....

Caire-boo
01-20-2011, 07:44 AM
Maybe before kicking you give them some gentle (polite) advice. They will never learn if they are just kicked, and it may ruin the game and/or break their confidence. Some players may not even know what tanks are! For example my 68 year old Mum plays but she is terrified she will do something wrong. I know she would much prefer some helpful advice rather than being booted and learning nothing. I know it seems unlikely that someone could get to the higher levels and not know the basics of tanking, but everyone has to learn somehow.

Junside
01-20-2011, 08:17 AM
I do give instructions in any case that anyone in the party does not know the general plans.

If a level 50 bear is stomping all around, far from linear with the entire party, would you let that person continue to hamper your efforts? I don't mind instructing someone, that's time I'm willing to give up. But at level 50 you expect one to know he's not the only one in the party. When a bear is stomping his *** off, bouncing the boss around, you will begin to fear that something will go wrong. And not only bears, but other classes who aren't using such crucial assets they've been given.

If I have power to boot, then I will not hesitate to do so. But not because one made a single mistake, but if he/she made a string of actions that will seriously slow me down, I will lose my patience.

Lastly, I can say that I've never made such noob-like actions. I've died often sometimes, making it one less person dealing damage, but I never did anything completely stupid. It's not that easy to with a bird anyway... the most I can do is push a boss out of perimeter, resetting his HP, but that's only happened to me less than five times in the whole time that I leveled up my bird.

I'm not a total jerk. Understand that. I'm fair, but if one can't listen to instructions and does his/her own thing, I'm booting.

Tree Dude
01-20-2011, 08:47 AM
I have had some trouble with birds knocking the boss all over the place too, so it is not just bears.

I play a bear, only have 3pts in stomp so it doesn't spread them out quite so much. But I am sure to not use it when a decent mage is around or unless I have a boss pinned.

I do find it hard to hold aggro though and I feel like sometimes I get booted because of that (or people leave). Taunt needs a serious buff to it's threat generation so bears can effectively tank when very high DPS mages are attacking.

Rikilamaru
01-20-2011, 11:31 AM

:( I'm a noob to this game(just got it). I'm a pretty good low lvl tank (yay from exp from being a tank in WoW). What rly bothers me is
1.a Mage not healing at all. Jeez I'm holding all the aggro+a boss and burning thru my hp pots waiting for to heal:/
2. Is Mage rush ahead of the tank grab all the aggro + more aggro : (

JemNI
01-20-2011, 12:08 PM
I'm a noob too and have only played a bird so far, but man this thread has been more helpful than anything else on the forum.

There ought to be a guide of how player's should play to be effective, and etiquette and that sort of thing. As a noob, I haven't understood the capabilities of the other classes well so didn't know how best to complement them in battle. Well time to go start up a bear and a mage to try them out now.

Firepants
01-20-2011, 12:39 PM
:( I'm a noob to this game(just got it). I'm a pretty good low lvl tank (yay from exp from being a tank in WoW). What rly bothers me is
1.a Mage not healing at all. Jeez I'm holding all the aggro+a boss and burning thru my hp pots waiting for to heal:/
2. Is Mage rush ahead of the tank grab all the aggro + more aggro : (

I so agree with you here but Ill explain why they run ahead still... The bears were nerfed real bad for like 2 months and we no longer could rely on a Tank. It is just now that bears have regained that crowd control ability....Im sure these mages came about during that time because before this the motto was " let the tank go first" I even did this when tanks were no longer available because the archers got dodge nerfed as well, so it was better ONE of the mages get the aggro.

I'm a noob too and have only played a bird so far, but man this thread has been more helpful than anything else on the forum.

There ought to be a guide of how player's should play to be effective, and etiquette and that sort of thing. As a noob, I haven't understood the capabilities of the other classes well so didn't know how best to complement them in battle. Well time to go start up a bear and a mage to try them out now.

There are guides, but it has been awhile now. I suggest getting a character of each kind. That is what will help you learn the most.....

BlazeMystic
01-20-2011, 12:59 PM
I'd love to see a character guide of the sort you mentioned. I believe it would be helpful for everyone not just new players. I have a level 50 mage and play mostly casually, so it would be helpful for me to know whether I am indeed playing properly. Last night there were 3 bears in the team and nearly all level 50's and they always rushed forward constantly and did a very good job of holding agro. I hadn't seen that in a long time. I struggled to keep up with them - and this is from someone who often has to "tank" with my very fragile mage.

BeefyMeat
01-20-2011, 01:57 PM
But at level 50 you expect one to know

Not anymore with the massive amounts of powerleveling going on, I don't much out of anyone who hasn't done any of the missions. It's a good barometer for whether or not they took the time to learn the game or just raced through.

Punktate
01-20-2011, 02:07 PM
Maybe there should be requirements to play in ao3, where most people powerleveling takes place from what ive seen. Maybe you should need a key you can only get from a difficult quest which is unlocked after 10k kills or something of the sort. This way, powerleveling crush the keeper would cease to exist.

BeefyMeat
01-20-2011, 02:10 PM
Does no good, then people just powerlevel that quest and move on anyway. It would slow it down, but powerleveling is just something you can't stop unless you nerf XP by level. Maybe institute a 5 level cap that you have to be within 5 levels of the host to receive XP. That way, the lowest you could be and get XP in an AOE run with 50s is 45.

Punktate
01-20-2011, 02:15 PM
Thats a very good idea. Im sick and tired of seeing level 50's with only 1.5k kills.

Fyrce
01-20-2011, 04:55 PM
OMG, someone go digging. Because there're LOTS of how to play threads and let's all laugh at the noob threads.

Junside, love your Keeper story, but sorry to say, happens in probably every VL PUG I join that does not include people/players I know or have heard of. I have no idea why some people can't learn but really, they can't. They might just like failure. I've been yelled at, booted, told I don't know how to kill OL/Gurg/etc for telling people how to do it but they disagree. They say they always glitch (um, blech) or they always take the orbs and kill gurg (LOL, too bad I haven't seen them do it yet, even when I stand outside waiting for them to prove it :P )

Sure is funny. And then I go find some friends, run a different area, or train a trainable group. It's amazing how you really can tell when someone will be trainable: They will be trying already and just need pointers. The ones who aren't listening aren't going to change because you say something. Hell, in fact, they know better and will tell you how to play, which is why their groups work out so well. Of course, their goal is to be flat on the floor as much as possible. I tell them I enjoy their show but now, I gotta go do some real farming :)

Oh, the really fun part is when they're all flat and you solo but they still know better than you :)

Grizzlykitty
01-22-2011, 03:44 PM
I'm glad to see so many people who understand that something needs to be done. I find myself teaching people how to run victory lap every day, and I don't mind at all doing that, since I need to rely on my party to live.

Ran into a useless mage a few minutes ago by the name of grizzlykitty or something.

Did a fine job following the party, but didn't heal, revive, or take orbs. What's that? A waste of space. His/her excuse was that he/she was on the phone.

... you canfollow the party but you can't heal? I said straight up he/she was a useless mage, and this fool had the audacity to call me a useless bird. My mana was at near empty from enforcing alien brutality.

Had to finish the rest of vl with 2 birds and a bear. Did better without the useless Mage.

Dear rude little Boy Junside

I wanted to say that I'm sorry that me met on these circumstances. At gurox i told u "for some reason I can not hear his growl" I don't know if u have never had this problem but i do know for sure i am not the only one who has. Insted of being patient u put people down and call names. This is where we should have booted u because after i ran back 3 times to rev so we didnt have to start over, and still all u had to say was rude things to people. This is also the point u should have left if u had a problem. Everything that u whined about u could have prevented by leaving!

But since u stayed I apologize for being on the phone while u were playing with us at keeper. My phone call was important and took my attention away from the game I told u this after Ur rude coments bye saying " sry on phone ". U continued with rude comments to me and other players. When done with my phone call u proceeded by calling me a " useless Mage ".

Here is where I want to appoligze for stooping to Ur lvl by calling u a " useless bird " and then saying " I will show u a useless Mage " so I stood there and did nothing. After some more rude comments from u and a few deaths from group I feld bad and continued to help but not heal it was me and my brother that charged the bosses. but I'm sur any one who read Ur post saw how one sided it was. I find it hard for u not to remember this since Ur post was only a few min after our encounter. If u were so upset u could have left we didn't need u. U stayed so I decided to hurt u were it hurts most in the pocket and on the death counts.

We could have just booted u but then I'm sure I'd be replying to a post about u whining for being booted. No wonder no one wants to play with u. u make ten post per day, most of them im sure envolve alot of putting down of people. Is this how u became a seinor member. I feel special though that u took the time out of your busy day to bad mouth me after one meeting. Maybe if u were not so rude and arrogant u would have more friends to play with.

Sincerely GrizzlyKitty

Junside
01-22-2011, 04:37 PM
Dear rude little Boy Junside

I wanted to say that I'm sorry that me met on these circumstances. At gurox i told u "for some reason I can not hear his growl" I don't know if u have never had this problem but i do know for sure i am not the only one who has. Insted of being patient u put people down and call names. This is where we should have booted u because after i ran back 3 times to rev so we didnt have to start over, and still all u had to say was rude things to people. This is also the point u should have left if u had a problem. Everything that u whined about u could have prevented by leaving!

But since u stayed I apologize for being on the phone while u were playing with us at keeper. My phone call was important and took my attention away from the game I told u this after Ur rude coments bye saying " sry on phone ". U continued with rude comments to me and other players. When done with my phone call u proceeded by calling me a " useless Mage ".

Here is where I want to appoligze for stooping to Ur lvl by calling u a " useless bird " and then saying " I will show u a useless Mage " so I stood there and did nothing. After some more rude comments from u and a few deaths from group I feld bad and continued to help but not heal it was me and my brother that charged the bosses. but I'm sur any one who read Ur post saw how one sided it was. I find it hard for u not to remember this since Ur post was only a few min after our encounter. If u were so upset u could have left we didn't need u. U stayed so I decided to hurt u were it hurts most in the pocket and on the death counts.

We could have just booted u but then I'm sure I'd be replying to a post about u whining for being booted. No wonder no one wants to play with u. u make ten post per day, most of them im sure envolve alot of putting down of people. Is this how u became a seinor member. I feel special though that u took the time out of your busy day to bad mouth me after one meeting. Maybe if u were not so rude and arrogant u would have more friends to play with.

Sincerely GrizzlyKitty

Thank goodness you realize what you did wrong.

Grizzlykitty
01-22-2011, 04:56 PM
All I can say is "Wow" I hope other people see how rude u r and maybe treat u they way u treat them then see how much fun u have playing. I sorry I have better things to do with my time then to respond to Ur rudeness but I do have lots of friends that love to play with me and have no complaints. Maybe u should host Ur own games we host ours so we don't have to be in the presence of people like u.

Junside
01-22-2011, 05:03 PM
All I can say is "Wow" I hope other people see how rude u r and maybe treat u they way u treat them then see how much fun u have playing. I sorry I have better things to do with my time then to respond to Ur rudeness but I do have lots of friends that love to play with me and have no complaints. Maybe u should host Ur own games we host ours so we don't have to be in the presence of people like u.

Dang, you're old news dude. If I have to tell it here, then you did pretty bad, okay? :rolleyes:

Casaclysm
01-22-2011, 07:16 PM
I would just like to note for those who are not acquainted with GrizzlyKitty that he is by far a *useless mage*. In fact, he is anything but.

Junside’s take on his experience with Grizzly is in no way indicative to his usual playing method.

We have all encountered situations where things didn’t exactly go as we’d hoped/planned during a run. And in my experience playing multiple classes, there is always going to be someone at some point that doesn’t play the way you would like for them to. Some, due to ignorance. Others, just because they don’t care. This is a game. And while I understand it is easy to get wrapped up in it all, it is just that… A GAME. It is meant for people to enjoy. And if you are not enjoying yourself, you wont be hurting anyones feelings by moving on to a more suitable situation.

Being outwardly callow & belittling is not the way to go about it! There is no excuse for that sort of behavior, even if you deem yourself to be the most knowledgeable and proficient player in the game. If you do not feel someone is playing to your standard… there are a few simple solutions.. Either take it upon yourself to try and help them learn how to play to those standards, remove yourself and move on or simply ignore them. No one is forcing you to stay. Create your own room/groups with people you find to be acceptable. And leave it at that. Im sure that wouldn’t be a difficult task for those claiming to be such an adept players. Frankly, anyone could be the most accomplished player in game… but with an attitude like the one Junside has demonstrated.. most would find them to be very off putting. I personally am hoping to not make such an acquaintance.

Perhaps if people would appoint some of the time they spend on the boards complaining & insulting others to address their disposition they would find life & the game a bit more enjoyable.

All that being said, Grizzly has been an incredible PL partner not only to myself, but to countless others. He is helpful, generous and beyond proficient when it comes to grouping. I have come across many people while playing PL and in that time, I have found very few that I genuinely look forward to playing with. Grizzlykitty however is on the top of my list.

It is unfortunate that Junside so abruptly placed judgment based on one instance. Perhaps if they had held their tongue, given him the chance to take his phone call & resume they would have found him to be as honorable an ally as many of us have.