PDA

View Full Version : New Scam Alert

Roguesw
01-23-2011, 02:10 AM
New scam alert.

A lvl 50 post an item for sale, for a ridiculous price, e.g sniper swamp shiv 400000 gold

Then, logs into another account a lower lvl char and proceeds
to go to sales area and says trade hate/ death set for sniper swamp shiv.

Its smart because the scammer makes sure the item posted is unique, so there
are no competing prices.

People who arent aware of all the value of pinks can get suckered in.

Dont know how to report this one as it involves more than one player.

We who read a lot on the forum know the real prices of things but there
are a lot of people out there who dont.

Beware

Ayrilana
01-23-2011, 02:25 AM
While it's not the right thing for them to be doing, I don't think they can get in trouble for it. They're not directly attempting to scam someone.

RedRyder
01-23-2011, 02:33 AM
While it's not the right thing for them to be doing, I don't think they can get in trouble for it. They're not directly attempting to scam someone.

That's true... It may be their intention, it may not be. They'll probably put a cap on gold again if this turns into a big problem

Lesrider
01-23-2011, 02:33 AM
Also, the cs makes it even easier for them to do it --- since we don't have master accounts names, they don't need more than one person -- they can put it in the shop on one char, and then scam with an alt.

Not that I've ever done it myself. Just pointing out that you don't really need two accounts. Anyone can do it.

Seratonin
01-23-2011, 02:39 AM

And if that is what they are doing, it is most definitely scamming. They are trying to rip people off by falsely saying they will give a good item set for a junk item. They aren't going to give the set for the item anyways! Their intention is to shaft people out of their gold! Scamming!

Roguesw
01-23-2011, 02:40 AM
Thats exactly what I saw Les, the seller on CS and then the trader advertising was his ALT. He is doing it deliberately.
A

Ayrilana
01-23-2011, 02:46 AM
And if that is what they are doing, it is most definitely scamming. They are trying to rip people off by falsely saying they will give a good item set for a junk item. They aren't going to give the set for the item anyways! Their intention is to shaft people out of their gold! Scamming!

If they tell someone directly that it's worth 400k then it's scamming. If they announce that they're selling it for 400k then it's not. There's a subtle difference. Whether they post it on the CS or not is irrelevant. Is it ethical? No way.

Lesrider
01-23-2011, 02:56 AM
Still, people need to research these things and not take one person's word for it. People make it too easy for the scammers to scam.
Even on the forum, I laugh when someone asks a price on something and after the first response, they're satisfied that they got their answer. Who's to say the person who responded doesn't want them to sell it to them for that price, knowing it's worth more?
Same thing -- if there's only one of an item in the shop and it's crazy expensive, make sure it's worth that much before buying.
Man, you remember when there was no cs? Much harder to tell prices then. You would think people would actually use the cs to avoid being scammed...

Eleanor
01-23-2011, 03:19 AM
If they tell someone directly that it's worth 400k then it's scamming. If they announce that they're selling it for 400k then it's not. There's a subtle difference. Whether they post it on the CS or not is irrelevant.

Still, people need to research these things and not take one person's word for it.

Both True!

bladesword
01-23-2011, 06:15 AM
Smart mynas gens these days eh

Gaddy
01-23-2011, 04:27 PM
thanks for the alert. this is technically a variation of "The Old Fiddle" con...

Ayrilana
01-23-2011, 04:34 PM
It was also in the movie Zombieland. That's probably where they got the idea from even though it's been around for a very long time.

Physiologic
01-23-2011, 08:45 PM
This scam is deep rooted into nearly every single MMO that has a trading shop/merchanting system

Riccits
01-24-2011, 03:50 AM
another scam from yesterday:

someone was spaming this in town: B> Red Hooch Hat for 47k
i smelled a scam bcz noone would buy for 47k...... :-/
so i telled him i have one.
he said: give me the hooch hat ill login after with my other account and give ya the money...

i would like bann all those scammers!!!

Lesrider
01-24-2011, 09:26 AM
another scam from yesterday:

someone was spaming this in town: B> Red Hooch Hat for 47k
i smelled a scam bcz noone would buy for 47k...... :-/
so i telled him i have one.
he said: give me the hooch hat ill login after with my other account and give ya the money...

i would like bann all those scammers!!!

Sorry but I still find it funny when I hear of someone who fell for that. Go check out the facebook page sometime ;)

BeefyMeat
01-24-2011, 09:30 AM
It comes down to common sense. If you don't have the ability to go in and check to see what is a good deal and a bad one, you deserve to get scammed. It's not like these are world-beating schemes.

drewcapu
01-24-2011, 09:56 AM
Saw someone doing this yesterday. The item in cs was some junk green item which I don't recall.

These are the guys who I actually don't put on ignore. Instead, when they announce something like this, I'll call them out on it and ask them why they are trying to get people to buy junk for a high price. I don't even bother trying to say they are scamming.

xpygonx
01-24-2011, 12:04 PM
I don't know if I can settle on that fact that this is a scam. Not that I'm saying that what they are doing is ok.

In reality they are creating demand for an item that doesn't have any To begin with. You could see anyone advertising a trade, go check the AH to see if the item is for sale, buy that particular item in an attempt for a gain, but before you can contact the individual, he logs off. In the end he tricked you into shifting your indifference curve to the right thinking you could pick up a gain on a seemingly foolish trade. Elementary economics really, happens everyday. . .

Just saying, there is no such thing as a free puppy. . .

Ayrilana
01-24-2011, 12:31 PM
He isn't getting his saying mixed up even though the last one doesn't fit with the rest of what he was saying. There really is no such thing as a free puppy since you have to get their shots, license, and so forth.

xpygonx
01-24-2011, 01:21 PM
All I was trying to hint at with the saying is think before you jump into a decision

Gohstp
06-22-2011, 02:45 PM
If they tell someone directly that it's worth 400k then it's scamming. If they announce that they're selling it for 400k then it's not. There's a subtle difference. Whether they post it on the CS or not is irrelevant. Is it ethical? No way.

It seems like you are missing the point here. Hate/Death set is worth much more than 400k. Of course the victim would want to pay 400k to buy Sniper's Swamp Shiv, and trade it for a Hate/Death set, which is basically buying a Hate/Death set for 400k, super cheap, everyone would want to buy it. The scam part is that when the victim enters trade, they log out. This is using nonexistent bait to make (almost force) people to buy the Sniper's Swamp Shiv for an unreasonable amount.

Whirlzap
06-22-2011, 03:10 PM
Can you please stop necroing threads?
This is from half a year ago, read the dates before you go and post random advice for someone who probably hasn't checked this thread for three months or so.

Whirlzap
06-22-2011, 03:14 PM
It seems like you are missing the point here. Hate/Death set is worth much more than 400k. Of course the victim would want to pay 400k to buy Sniper's Swamp Shiv, and trade it for a Hate/Death set, which is basically buying a Hate/Death set for 400k, super cheap, everyone would want to buy it. The scam part is that when the victim enters trade, they log out. This is using nonexistent bait to make (almost force) people to buy the Sniper's Swamp Shiv for an unreasonable amount.
It is not force or any sort of scam.
This is like those websites, win a million dollars all you have to do is complete 10 offers here,(which secretly costs more than a million dollars to complete), and then you get the million and lose money if you don't get scammed.
People here are greedy, it is their choice whether or not to buy the item and then trade it.
It is their fault for not checking prices or even to listen to this person.
Although it is annoying, it is financially, in the trader's world, not an act provoking any consequences.

Riccits
06-23-2011, 01:53 AM

look at the date of thread.... those sets were 200k once.... :)