PDA

View Full Version : Idea to stop spammers

Kujen
01-23-2011, 12:13 PM
It's very annoying when you're in Fort Blackstone and all you see in the chatbox is someone begging "can I have some gold" or "selling x for so much gold" only they repeat it over and over until it fills up the chatbox.

How about something that prevents them from posting the same message within so many seconds of the first one. Like if they paste "can I have some gold" within 10 seconds (or 30) of the first message, the system will tell them they can't. You can also make this where it is only effective in towns, because I've never seen this problem in a PvE group, and they could be booted anyway.

I know some annoying people will circumvent this by pasting and adding random characters to the end of their message, but who knows it might stop most of them. Another idea is to disable the ability to "paste" a message, but I don't know how many people use that for non-spamming reasons.

Also, I know I could add spammers to my ignore list but 1) I'd have to go find them and click their profile and 2) I'd rather save my ignore list for people who try to scam me or people who are jerks, so I know that they are all on there for a good reason and will be booted on sight. Otherwise I would have hundreds of people on it.

LoztChaos
01-23-2011, 01:47 PM
They had this system on an old MMO I used to play, When they spammed the same message 3 times in under 30 seconds, They kicked them from the server, and weren't allowed to rejoin for 5 minutes, It was very effective and I support this!

Kujen
01-23-2011, 02:08 PM
That's a good idea too. Gets the message across to those spammers

MoarPewPew
01-23-2011, 02:12 PM
They had this system on an old MMO I used to play, When they spammed the same message 3 times in under 30 seconds, They kicked them from the server, and weren't allowed to rejoin for 5 minutes, It was very effective and I support this!

Lol.... Use ignore.... That is ridculous what your purposing. That is intended for bots and gold farmers.....

last350
01-23-2011, 03:20 PM
well, i see no problems with booting someone who spams the same thing repeatedly and making them wait 5 mins before coming back in. it seems a bit harsh, but it will definitely make them think twice about spamming the chat window.

see most probably aren't pasting, they're using their empty bubble thingy where you can edit and save whatever text then just tap the bubble down there and it types in what is there. how much could you HAVE to say a particular thing that within 30 seconds you have to say it 3 times? i fully support the boot.

last350
01-23-2011, 03:23 PM
...what your purposing.

love the amalgamation of Proposing and Purporting.

MoarPewPew
01-23-2011, 04:12 PM
love the amalgamation of Proposing and Purporting.

I love my auto correct!!!! Now go back under the bridge troll....

KingFu
01-23-2011, 04:13 PM
Or you can simply put them on ignore...

MoarPewPew
01-23-2011, 04:16 PM
Or you can simply put them on ignore...

Read my first post on this thread.... I agree!!!

Kujen
01-23-2011, 04:20 PM
I already addressed that in my post why I don't put them on the ignore list. So many people spam, I would have hundreds of people on it, and I wouldn't be able to tell spammers from the scammers and the jerks that I currently have on there. Spamming is annoying to everyone, sometimes I miss conversations and PMs because "give me gold" has filled up the screen. It shouldn't be acceptable.

KingFu
01-23-2011, 04:29 PM
Don't make the devs waste time by implemented stuff to prevent spammers when there already is a way. Basically, you can use ignore or ignore them/put up with em.

Kujen
01-23-2011, 04:32 PM
Is this not a suggestions forum? It's a suggestion, if they think its a good idea they will put it in. If they don't, then they won't. The devs always say how much they appreciate our suggestions and feedback, so when I get an idea I'm gonna put it out there.

MoarPewPew
01-23-2011, 04:41 PM
I had a similar thread in October.....
Here are the replys I got to spam.
Consignment Shoppe will help with this. Also, you can ignore players that you don't want to hear.

-ALS

First step in eliminating the buy/sell chat spam is Consignment Shoppe. After that's been out for a week, we'll see the next thing to concentrate our efforts on.

-ALS

KingFu
01-23-2011, 04:44 PM
Is this not a suggestions forum? It's a suggestion, if they think its a good idea they will put it in. If they don't, then they won't. The devs always say how much they appreciate our suggestions and feedback, so when I get an idea I'm gonna put it out there.

Meh, all I'm saying is. There's nothing wrong with ignore, I don't think there is any further need to implement something to prevent spamming, since no one complains about ignore, since it has been a fairly solid system that served it's purpose since release.

last350
01-23-2011, 07:06 PM
Now go back under the bridge troll....

wow and i was actually being serious about loving the amalgamation. someone needs to have a sippy cup, wasnt trolling was actually loving the word. stinks you took it the wrong way.

*rarely find people with a vocabulary above gradeschool