PDA

View Full Version : Copy Cat Scammer

Cabero
01-24-2011, 01:54 AM
Now we got people copying what they see on the scammer posts.
I cropped most of it because it was a long conversation.
At the end he says I don't want my name ruined lol
http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab282/Cabero38/Scammer1.jpg
http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab282/Cabero38/Scammer.jpg

Royce
01-24-2011, 01:59 AM
Great, since it was mentioned in the other thread that the devs stay out of this, now people thinks that makes it okay :/
People have been saying posting warnings is the best prevention, but really they just inform people that wouldn't haven fallen for it anyway, and give potential scammers a new idea. Looks like it might be doing more harm than good.

Ayrilana
01-24-2011, 02:00 AM
I don't know what I find more disappointing: him or the beggars that you also caught in the screenshots.

Ellyidol
01-24-2011, 02:03 AM
I don't know what I find more disappointing: him or the beggars that you also caught in the screenshots.

Also, HOW TO B DUAL SPEC 20k. Its right here free. -.-

Cabero
01-24-2011, 02:04 AM
Great, since it was mentioned in the other thread that the devs stay out of this, now people thinks that makes it okay :/
People have been saying posting warnings is the best prevention, but really they just inform people that wouldn't haven fallen for it anyway, and give potential scammers a new idea. Looks like it might be doing more harm than good.

You got a good point but if we ignore people who do it they just continue too. But on the other end of it if we get the word out about less people will fall for it. So it's basically we damed if we do and damed if we don't.

Cabero
01-24-2011, 02:07 AM

Ya I told that guy go to the forums and learn how to do it for free. It's amazing how many people don't use the forums there is so much info here. When I first started playing this game I spent more time reading and learning stuff on the forums than I actually spent playing the game.

Ayrilana
01-24-2011, 02:12 AM
Did you see what armargeddon said in the screenshots about this rare purple axe that doesn't drop anymore? First he was begging for money to buy OL rift and now he's attempting to scam? I could be reading into something that not really there and/or there really is a purple axe that doesn't drop anymore.

Cabero
01-24-2011, 02:14 AM
lol you want to see a whole new level of begging? check out this guys sig lol
http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?17460-The-wash-board-shields-Can-it-really-be-used-to-play-music-if-so-How-to&p=179518#post179518

Zeus
01-24-2011, 02:17 AM
lol you want to see a whole new level of begging? check out this guys sig lol
http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?17460-The-wash-board-shields-Can-it-really-be-used-to-play-music-if-so-How-to&p=179518#post179518

Oh god... The hobos are here. Everybody lock up everything!!!!!!!!! I honestly have had enough with people having the nerve to think it's allright to mooch off of other people.

Cabero
01-24-2011, 02:27 AM
Oh god... The hobos are here. Everybody lock up everything!!!!!!!!! I honestly have had enough with people having the nerve to think it's allright to mooch off of other people.
This guy isn't even begging for game stuff. He is actually begging for real life cash!!!!

MissMage
01-24-2011, 03:36 AM
Mmmmillllllllkkkkkkkk

matticus08
01-24-2011, 05:11 PM
I learned how to do this scheme a few days ago from the forums.

JackDonkey
01-24-2011, 06:35 PM
Ha the best part is that he gives up and says he's doing it ;)

Cabero
01-24-2011, 06:52 PM
Ha the best part is that he gives up and says he's doing it ;)

Nah the best part is he is worried about getting his name ruined. lol If he was worried about that then why did he do it in the first place?

Ayrilana
01-25-2011, 03:16 AM
Funny. The guy in the OP is doing it again right now but this time with a Sniper's Crossbone Bow in the CS for 110k in exchange for hate armor and helm.

Cabero
01-25-2011, 03:57 AM
Ya I'm sure he didn't want me to post about it just so he could keep doing without people catching on about him.

Dizzy
01-25-2011, 04:14 AM
This guy was at it again tonight. Trying to trade a Hate helm and "chest" (whatever that means) for a Sniper's Crossbone Bow that Haanajeowasy is listed as selling. No screenshots as I'm on an un-rooted Droid phone, but the deal seemed so off I noted it... and sure enough, it's the same guy from this thread. Now I wish I'd called him on it. Looks like no one took him up on the "deal" though.

There are about 100 ways these scammers are stupid... I'd detail them, but I wouldn't want to give the copy-cats ideas on how to improve their scams. As it is, most people don't seem to be falling for it, and it's sorta funny to point and laugh at how obvious the scams are.

Edit: whoops, Ayrilana beat me to it, heh.

Ellyidol
01-25-2011, 04:17 AM
I was thinking of a way around this. I thought of one, it sounds extreme and a bit unreasonable but it should work.

Make trade advertising in normal chat bannable. It makes the CS entirely correct.

It removes the ability to T> items to items, but you should still be able to with friends, assuming they're real friends and don't report you. Yeah, the only MMO that bans with trade advertising. Lol

Cabero
01-25-2011, 04:27 AM
I was thinking of a way around this. I thought of one, it sounds extreme and a bit unreasonable but it should work.

Make trade advertising in normal chat bannable. It makes the CS entirely correct.

It removes the ability to T> items to items, but you should still be able to with friends, assuming they're real friends and don't report you. Yeah, the only MMO that bans with trade advertising. Lol

Ya sorry I don't like that idea because I trade item for item a lot using the town chat. You can't do that in the cs so you have to use chat for that.

Ellyidol
01-25-2011, 04:35 AM
Yeah, like i said it removes trading entirely.

It has its pro's and cons. Pro's is that it removes this type of scamming in a way. Cons is it removes trading between random people.

Kujen
01-25-2011, 09:32 AM
Here's my idea - I know the devs don't get involved with trade/scam disputes. But maybe they could put a notification in the game, like a warning to help people learn how to avoid scams.
Just because someone thinks they're getting a good deal doesn't mean they deserve to be scammed. Scammers are a detriment to the community.

Riccits
01-25-2011, 09:35 AM
i really hope that sts will do somthing about that... but its hard to find a unique way for all scam types that we know...

Tsarra
01-26-2011, 12:43 AM
The devs probably also don't want to scare a brand new player off with "WARNING: SCAMS AND CHEATS INSIDE" plastered all over the front doors. From their perspective, it's pretty much impossible to mitigate all of this from their end. :( No matter what, someone loses. If they (the devs) lose, we all lose.

I agree that something should be done about the cheating, lying, scamming, conniving wretches in the game...I just have no idea what a happy medium would look like.

Kujen
01-26-2011, 11:01 AM
I think if i was new, I'd be more scared off the game if I was scammed, than if I was warned about scammers. They did put up a sticky in forum announcements about it - "be aware of trade scams" - so they do care.

They said scams are a violation of their terms of service. I bet the only reason they don't get directly involved is because people might make false claims about being scammed or because it may be harder to prove. In trade scams there may not be clear evidence, otherwise they probably would ban, like when someone tries to scam people into giving them their account and password. Thats clear as day in the chat logs.

Edit: also, I think as a community we can help prevent these scams by calling people out on it, in public chat. At least until there's a better way. You see someone doing a scam like this "I'll trade a rift set for this crummy green that is suspiciously 200k in the cs" thing, warn everyone in chat that it's a scam. Some people just wouldn't know any better and fall for it. Don't think of it as snitching, this isn't a prison, it's a game community and cheats and scammers are not welcomed.

Thade
01-31-2011, 12:29 PM
Scamming is a violation of our Terms of Service.

Anything which violates the Terms of Service can result in a ban.

TwinkTastical
01-31-2011, 12:43 PM
Scamming is a violation of our Terms of Service.

Anything which violates the Terms of Service can result in a ban.

This isnt a scam though.. lmao.

Royce
01-31-2011, 12:51 PM
This isnt a scam though.. lmao.

This is absolutely a scam.

StompArtist
01-31-2011, 12:55 PM
Wait a sec here. I am a little lost. Is it scamming if I exchange a torch for a complete void set? I mean if someone is willing to do the exchange it's definitely a bad deal for them but if I do not lie about the item I do not see how this would be a scam?

mugen
01-31-2011, 12:59 PM

this guys been doin that for awhile i just spam lol at him when i see him in town

Royce
01-31-2011, 01:02 PM
Wait a sec here. I am a little lost. Is it scamming if I exchange a torch for a complete void set? I mean if someone is willing to do the exchange it's definitely a bad deal for them but if I do not lie about the item I do not see how this would be a scam?

Since this is the internet, let's look a the wikipedia definition of a confidence trick (or scam):

A confidence trick or confidence game (also known as a bunko, con, flim flam, gaffle, grift, hustle, scam, scheme, swindle or bamboozle) is an attempt to defraud a person or group by gaining their confidence. The victim is known as the mark, the trickster is called a confidence man, con man, confidence trickster, grifter, or con artist, and any accomplices are known as plants. Confidence men or women exploit characteristics of the human psyche such as greed, both dishonesty and honesty, vanity, compassion, credulity, irresponsibility, naïveté, and the thought of trying to get something of value for nothing or for something far less valuable. Confidence men or women have victimized individuals from all walks of life.
The scammer in this case attempts to gain the confidence of his mark by lying and saying they will trade something of value for an item they have listed in the CS. This scammer preys on greed (and possibly naïveté) since the item listed (while dramatically overpriced) is still less than the cost of the item(s) they pretend to be offering as trade. The scam's overall goal is to acquire something of value (gold) for something of nearly no value (a crap item), by tricking the mark into buying something they would not normally buy for far over it's value.

StompArtist
01-31-2011, 01:06 PM
Now I understand. I had somehow missed the CS part in this deal. I guess this is scam but I do not see how one would go about and prove it. I guess a refined scammer could use two accounts, one to list and one to sell out of CS as well... Def hard to figure out if someone is guilty of such scam...

Cabero
01-31-2011, 01:06 PM
Rebel explained it much better than I did lol

mugen
01-31-2011, 01:07 PM
I learned how to do this scheme a few days ago from the forums.

hmm ur proud of learning this? :(

StompArtist
01-31-2011, 01:07 PM
You don't get it. He gets them to pay s high amount for crappy piece of gear he puts in the cs. When they buy it he doesn't trade the set for it. He just leaves the character he is on and switches to the one that had the item up abduction takes the money and runs.

Yeah. I was missing the point entirely. Sorry.

Lesrider
01-31-2011, 01:09 PM
Ha if they're banning for this, then matticus really should not have admitted to doing it lol.

Kujen
01-31-2011, 01:10 PM
So are these people being banned if we can provide proof like this? Devs I'm sure you can tell whether the character advertising the trade in chat and the character listing the overpriced item in the cs are from the same account, right? I've seen several of these copy cats now and I have no doubts that they're trying to scam.

mugen
01-31-2011, 01:12 PM
Ha if they're banning for this, then matticus really should not have admitted to doing it lol.

ikr sigh
/10

Phoenixking
01-31-2011, 03:31 PM
Wait i dont get it what is the scammer doing?

Ellyidol
01-31-2011, 03:36 PM
Wait i dont get it what is the scammer doing?

Taking advantage of people who want to take advantage of other people. Lol

I hate these kind of stuff because its really hard to actually have a bannable rule for this. Only educating the players would actually do good.

Phoenixking
01-31-2011, 03:40 PM
No i mean ikniw he is scamming but how i read all post i dont get it

Exeian
05-12-2012, 09:00 AM
Desperate noobs scam. Or greedy players.

BlackGhost
03-05-2013, 07:51 AM
Scammer sucks !!!!