PDA

View Full Version : Your Job (or: How Not To Look Like A N00b)

Duke
01-24-2011, 12:06 PM
This is intended to be a quick primer for new players who want to get a basic idea of how to play their character in an effective and team-friendly way. There's a lot of detail and some options I won't go into, rather, see the various class guides for Bears (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?17290-GUIDE-How-to-Tank-Properly-and-Shed-the-Noob-Bear-Status), Birds (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?16244-Comprehensive-Archer-Skills-and-Equipment-Guide), and Elves (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?14916-Enchantress-Class-Head-Quarters).

For the sake of simplicity, I'm going to limit discussion to "pures", as they're the simplest and most straightforward way to play, especially for beginners. A "pure" is a character that is focused on its class' primary attribute (STR for bears, DEX for birds, and INT for elves). Other types of builds ("hybrids" and "dual specs") are more specialized and are more likely to be successful for more experienced players.

So, without further ado... here are the basic roles you're expected to fulfill when playing in a group.

Bears

Your job is to "tank". All that STR you're pumping up? Well, its not really for damage (yes, it helps, but that's not your main job) -- it's to increase your hit points and armor so you can take more damage. You go in first, and get the attention of the enemies. Make them attack you. Use Taunt continuously... it's free in terms of mana cost and it increases the chance that enemies will focus on you.

Get the best armor rating and H/s regen rates you can. Yes, a two-handed sword looks cool and does more damage, but in a group, that's not your job. A shield will serve you better and some of the 1-handed weapons have nice effects that can help offset their lower damage.

Birds

Ok, see everything above about bears? Do the opposite. You want to hang back, using long-range attacks, focusing on the enemy causing the biggest problem. No one, repeat, no one is better than you at dealing damage to a single target, and your presence will help greatly in boss fights.

But beware, you're squishy and taste like chicken. The last thing you want to do is stand toe-to-toe with any enemy, let alone a boss. If they decide to target you, run. Literally, you can run circles around the bad guys while continuing to fire away at them. Discretion is the better part of valor, and cowardice is the better part of discretion, so valiantly run like a scared child. Thorn root can also hold them still while you make a brave dash for safety.

Your long-range attacks can be used to "pull" single targets toward the group, allow the team to split up encounters into more manageable chunks. Once you've pulled, though, stop firing until the tank draws enough hate to keep you from being turned into a chicken nugget snack.

Elves

You are the kings (queens?) of area-of-effect damage. Single-target? Not so much. At higher levels, you will literally be able to blast apart "trash" mobs with your standard battery of area-of-effect spells, especially if you time them correctly for combos.

But for now, early on? You're going to maximize exactly 2 skills: Lightning and Heal. And Heal is vitally important. That bear tanking for you? Keep it healthy, because if the bear dies, you're probably next. That means you've got to close in a bit tighter than the bird, to keep your tank inside the effect range. You can also soften up enemies or finish them off with some Lightning strikes.

Like birds, your best defense if you become the hunted is to run. Since the game forces you to take a rank in Frostbite, you can use this to freeze a pursuer in its tracks, at least for a second, to buy yourself some time.

Heal is important for more than just hit point recovery; in a pinch, everyone can (and should) use potions for that, allowing you to save mana for later. But many negative statuses can be cured by Heal, in addition to hit points -- broken armor is the most common at low levels. Keep an eye on the icons next to character names, and you'll soon learn when to patch them up before they take big damage.

As You Progress

Teamwork means understanding what you and your team members are supposed to be doing, and executing accordingly. Use tactical positioning and skills to control the battlefield to let the tanks draw enemy aggression ("aggro") while the others deal the main damage and debuffs. Learn what skill combos exist, and know when to contribute part of the chain and when to hold off because someone else is setting something up.

And whatever you do, stay with the group. If you go wandering off on your own, it likely won't turn out too well.

In addition to the notes below, everyone will want to invest in skills for self-preservation (e.g., Evade for bears and birds).

Bears

Taunt and Beckon. Even without the stun effect, drawing groups of enemies toward you make the bird and elf jobs a lot easier. Stomp, while quite useful early on, becomes a lot less useful because it has the nasty habit of breaking up the others' combos as well as scattering all of those enemies you want to group together.

Still, Stomp can be useful to trap enemies in a corner, but it requires good positioning and working well in timing with your team.

Birds

As tempting as some of the skills may look, you are most valuable to the team when you are focused on boss killing. This means ranks in Focus to do more damage, Blast Shot and Blinding Shot to debuff them, and Thorn Wall to slow down pursuit (and set them up for a Nature Strike combo).

It can be hard to be patient, but know that even if you fell like a "hanger-on" during routine mob clearing, you will get a chance to shine with bosses.

Elves

One you've got some skills built up and some pretty good mana regeneration going, it's up to you to handle most of the routine "clearing" work by dropping area-of-effect skills pretty much as fast as they recharge. Throw out a Heal as soon as it will help anyone, to avoid letting them drop into danger realms. You'll want at least 1 rank in both Blessing skills to keep the team buffed.

Against bosses, you want to ensure the team is buffed with Blessings, that you keep the enemy debuffed with Nightmare and Weakness, and that you spam Heal as often as possible. Any damage you contribute is generally secondary, though be ready to jump in with a combo when the opportunities present themselves. You'll want to use your area skills to mop up the "entourage" of mobs around the boss so the team can focus on the boss by itself.

KingFu
01-24-2011, 12:11 PM
Great guide! One question, what do ya got against bearsurkers?:p

Conradin
01-24-2011, 12:22 PM
Good guide- one thing though- str also boosts up armor which make enemies deal less damage on you

Duke
01-24-2011, 12:26 PM

Nothing. If they want to look like n00bs. :cool:

Seriously, this is a basic guide for new players -- old pros should disregard half of this stuff, at least as far as skill and equipment selection.

Good guide- one thing though- str also boosts up armor which make enemies deal less damage on you

Good point, I've corrected the OP.

mycroftxxx
01-24-2011, 12:44 PM
I know you didn't recommend this, but one thing I would specifically mention is “spam healing.” A lot of bears and birds ask for this, and always blame the mages when they die. But there are problems here, especially in AO3. It takes time to regen the skill—if you have only 1 mage, there are going to be times when you're just on your own. Aliens also get healed—if you have 4 mages constantly healing, it can take forever to kill some of those guys. As a mage, I now try to watch the vitality bars and heal as necessary instead. But if I'm also trying to debuff because it seems to be taking forever (and bears don't have the good debuffs), and fend off the archer minion who popped up and targeted me, well… stuff happens. Remember it's just a game.

I strongly recommend that people level up all 3 types, so they can get a good understanding of the different skills. It makes a huge difference to how you play in a team.

Duke
01-24-2011, 01:04 PM
I strongly recommend that people level up all 3 types, so they can get a good understanding of the different skills. It makes a huge difference to how you play in a team.

Amen to that. I've got a pure of all three types and a hybrid built on each of them (paladin, bowbear, and warbird). It really helps understand the benefits and limitations of them.

chrononh
01-24-2011, 01:22 PM
...Aliens also get healed;if you have 4 mages constantly healing, it can take forever to kill some of those guys....

Ah, I didn't know that. I always spam heals. No wonder one of the bears got a little pissed. lol

The guide is excellent. It makes me want to play my archer, which has been stuck on level 34 since September because, well, it always ends up as chicken nuggets in my runs. Now I have a better idea of how to play the character.

mycroftxxx
01-24-2011, 01:44 PM
If you're constantly getting aggro as an archer, either the bear needs to tank better, or you can compensate by switching to a weapon with slightly less base damage. (Enemies go for the guy who does the single most damaging hit, which is usually an archer.)

Duke
01-24-2011, 01:47 PM
I sometimes just stop shooting, using skills only, until someone else (preferably the tank) picks up aggro.

mycroftxxx
01-24-2011, 02:23 PM
Sometimes I'll stop using my combos to avoid getting aggro. The problem is, this is a race to the bottom. If everyone nerfs themselves to avoid aggro, you're going to spend a lot of time trying to kill the boss.

Norbert
01-24-2011, 02:27 PM
Excellent guide! I think it really fills the gaps the class guides leave out. Sticky please!

(Also, I've played with some 'old pros' that should definitely not disregard this advice.)

Duke
01-24-2011, 02:27 PM
Sometimes I'll stop using my combos to avoid getting aggro. The problem is, this is a race to the bottom. If everyone nerfs themselves to avoid aggro, you're going to spend a lot of time trying to kill the boss.

Not really. I'd suggest not sloughing off as long as you're not the one who has picked up aggro. If you are targeted, then back off long enough to allow the tank (if you have one) to get aggro back, or, if you're without a tank, do your Jesse Owens impersonation while everyone else attacks.

Doesn't work so well against ranged bosses, but those are relatively rare.

Pocket Legend
01-24-2011, 07:10 PM
Good read! :>

Attack
01-24-2011, 08:55 PM
Thanks. I'll have to look back on this

azulflame
05-07-2011, 07:40 PM

that's why you learn thorn root, thorn wall and repulse shot, as well as your debuffs. instead of nerfing yourself, nerf the boss to where you can take the hits. that's what I do on both my mage and my birdie

Scaizhebam
05-11-2011, 05:31 PM
Best way not to look like a noob is to buy or get free platinum
Also not to look like a noob is to buy fire or Icy leathers

AnRK
06-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Wish I had come to the forums earlier to read up on some things cause now a lot makes sense. My mage is always being picked on, as I like to call it, by the booses and I always assumed it was because being a mage I would be considered the weakest link of the party. :p Never even realised it was because I was the strongest one in the group. LOL. I'll definitely use a different strategy when I'm not soloing from now on. ;)

TechniShock
06-01-2011, 08:48 PM
awesome! great work

Stelio Kontos
06-13-2011, 08:19 PM
id like to add that tanks, or dps for that matter, can always LoS (line of sight) mobs if you want to separate groups. that is how i solo most of the dungeons as i level. :banana:

Arterra
06-13-2011, 09:05 PM
id like to add that tanks, or dps for that matter, can always LoS (line of sight) mobs if you want to separate groups. that is how i solo most of the dungeons as i level. :banana:

now that is a term i haven't heard in playing PL. As in grabbing their individual attention through their aggro range? you might want to explain how that works, apart from this game i have given up serious MMOs.

noobmigo
06-13-2011, 09:16 PM
now that is a term i haven't heard in playing PL. As in grabbing their individual attention through their aggro range? you might want to explain how that works, apart from this game i have given up serious MMOs.

It's like how you did the SHadow Caves Bosses and Mobs.

toronero
06-14-2011, 09:05 AM
ive been in a lot of groups and they dont stick together. being the heals in a group its hard for me to keep tabs on all the healing. or dps charges in not waiting for the tank. but it makes healing exciting to say the least lol.

IanHillWhoElse
07-14-2011, 06:54 AM
Thank You!

Feety
07-31-2011, 05:33 PM
I hope this correlates to SL

Navygreen
08-15-2011, 01:14 PM
Good read! :>

I agree, thanks!

SlingShot
09-02-2011, 01:52 PM
Very good guide, new players should definitely follow!!!

bink2112
09-25-2011, 08:43 PM
Good basic info..figured most of this out already but it was a great place to start!

Neffy
09-26-2011, 02:12 AM
People are going to hate you when they figure out each class can be used for each role. Lmao.
But regardless, very nice thread.

xBearSpiritx
09-26-2011, 06:09 AM
Regarding the Bear Tank role, you should also focus on getting as much dodge as you possibly can.

Imo, dodge > armour.

ghost.mw
10-12-2011, 07:15 PM
Always do your quests

Leli
10-12-2011, 07:19 PM
nice guiide :)

crestmage
11-10-2011, 08:04 PM
Simple and Clean. great work! :02.47-tranquillity:

Outrunner
12-23-2011, 04:22 AM
Great guide, thank you. :encouragement:

Sryyoulose
01-31-2012, 07:39 PM
I've worked on it some but... If there is intrest I could compile a lost of (in my opinion) how not to look noob at all LVLs with pictures and descriptions! If there is intrest ill work on it asap

XghostzX
02-04-2012, 02:27 PM
This is definitely a good thread for new players :)

Paanamaki
02-08-2012, 10:25 AM
:semi-twins: Great guide!! I recommend this to my new guildies who are lower in levels everyday!

Pokechmp
02-09-2012, 08:32 PM

This is talking simple and about pures. Not the other stuff.

Darknesslord
03-07-2012, 07:44 AM
Nice guide! Even though I am not a noob....

stompage
03-14-2012, 10:56 PM
Nice guild well detailed

Pdubbs90
03-29-2012, 11:39 PM
wow great guide! appreciate the links to the guides for specific characters! worded in a way to succinctly say what you have to and, make the read fun and humorous.

hitman9912
03-30-2012, 06:51 PM
I wish people would do this but they don't and I always die since I'm Bear

Fightax
04-08-2012, 08:25 AM
Great Guide! Enchantress' are so Awesome!

starfletcher
04-18-2012, 11:09 AM
Thanks good Advice

Paladinslaya
04-23-2012, 07:23 PM
I like bananas! Good guide! :banana:

Paladinslaya
04-23-2012, 07:26 PM
Also, I have all 3 characters a 61 mage, a 62 bird, and a 65 bear. Why don't you level up more so you can have more exp. in the game then make guides? It'll make you have a lot more knowledge of the game.

LightBud
04-30-2012, 11:05 PM
Good thread, very helpful to new players. Thanks.

LightBud
04-30-2012, 11:08 PM
People are going to hate you when they figure out each class can be used for each role. Lmao.
But regardless, very nice thread.

Bears can drop AoE's and Birds can heal? O.o
I dont think any class can play ANY role, no matter how you spec them...

Dragonrider023
05-05-2012, 08:57 AM
lucky my mage has full gorp heal skill (6) its really help alot cuz i always look other players's health bar.

zaxchang
05-13-2012, 02:09 PM
So its mean never pure str for warrior?

starfletcher
06-03-2012, 07:58 AM
Also try to use Armor with your level or close to it will help you not look like a Noob

starfletcher
06-03-2012, 08:01 AM
Best way not to look like a noob is to buy or get free platinum
Also not to look like a noob is to buy fire or Icy leathers Another good way is to wear armor close to your level and to not run round shooting all the time ive seen this alot in Balefort but i dont count everyone like that a noob

Obliterdeath
06-23-2012, 02:20 PM
Everyone always leaves the party when they can't fight the last few because they're too lazy or whatever. My point is, STICK WITH YOUR GROUP EVEN IF YOU ARE READY TO TURN IN YOUR QUEST OR WHATEVER. wait until you're finished the level before you go gallivanting off to collect your dues for completing a quest. I've found only a couple good friends, like Stourie for example, who stick with the group, even if it looks impossible. That's the kind of charachter that counts. Follow the good examples. Think again before leaving the party unless you are required to do so by a parent, gaurdian, or anything else outside of the game.

Jblazer
07-08-2012, 06:33 PM
So many bears who scatter lol.

StickyIndo®
09-23-2012, 07:00 PM
Good review. :)

WarlordBears
09-24-2012, 05:21 AM
I'm a Scatter Bear!! :D

JeffSorrows
09-27-2012, 12:36 AM
Nice, I've always stuck to my own set of Avian techniques. Which are quite similar to those mentioned. Just now need to pass this on to others I see trying to go toe-to-toe as I keep mentioning not to do as a bird. Thanks for the words of wisdom for all those out there, that just haven't got it yet.

How not to look like a 'noob' on the forums..? Get a sig!
http://imageshack.us/a/img580/201/couponh.jpg (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?71064-Flacs-amp-JeffSorrows-Free-sigs-D/)

Rody
09-29-2012, 08:58 PM
Just found out about Pocket Legends and it is downloading as I type this on my Nexus 7 and I will surely follow this topic's advice.

MrSokoy
10-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Totally agree! Can't stress enough the importance of each class and the vital role they play in survival of the group. Look forward to see this same discussion rehashed ever so often. Thanks!

razerfingers
10-05-2012, 02:08 PM
Hey guys^^ look at date of post above you then look at todays date. Also look at thread date this was made in 2011 i don lt need to see this irrelivent thread on new posts. Lol thanks

Sent using blood on a bathroom wall.

Leftro
10-10-2012, 11:42 AM
Good Guide

modalex
10-11-2012, 06:48 PM
Great guide and guys, how do i thank in posts?

this will really help

thanks

modalex
10-16-2012, 01:30 AM
this thread is actually pretty useful when you think about it.

Noonan.
10-16-2012, 06:31 AM
Vanity items can also be used to make you look less n00b. :P

Zneak
10-22-2012, 01:55 AM
I always wonder off from the group and solo dungeons and i've got 5600 kills 8 deaths?

Ubernewber
10-22-2012, 06:51 PM
Dex bears woot woot

sanchomundo
04-19-2013, 01:03 PM
Just read this. Sounds like good advice. Anything comparable out there for foxes and rhinos?

Corryn
04-22-2013, 03:46 PM
Thank you for this guide! I just started playing yesterday and have no experience (unless 2 years of WoW count). :P

razerfingers
04-22-2013, 03:47 PM
Thank you for this guide! I just started playing yesterday and have no experience (unless 2 years of WoW count). :P

Wow isnt PL, and vise versa so yes you're a new player or "noob"

Sent using blood on a bathroom wall.

Oakwi
04-23-2013, 07:44 PM
Good guide!

Battlegrinder
04-24-2013, 12:03 PM
Just read this. Sounds like good advice. Anything comparable out there for foxes and rhinos?

I checked ranger class discussion and no luck, seems like no ones gotten around to writing a guide yet. However, Whisperwalk has put a Rhino guide up, its in the Paladin class discussion. His guide covers all the basics, and though it does tend to be a little "my way or the highway" at times, it'll explain all the core elements of the class.

Also, you'll want to take this threads advice with a grain of salt. The OP is pretty old, and endgame mechanics have changed quite a bit over the years. Birds are a lot tougher, and pure-str bears have gotten a little weaker.

Itoopeo
05-01-2013, 11:02 AM
I checked ranger class discussion and no luck, seems like no ones gotten around to writing a guide yet. However, Whisperwalk has put a Rhino guide up, its in the Paladin class discussion. His guide covers all the basics, and though it does tend to be a little "my way or the highway" at times, it'll explain all the core elements of the class.

Also, you'll want to take this threads advice with a grain of salt. The OP is pretty old, and endgame mechanics have changed quite a bit over the years. Birds are a lot tougher, and pure-str bears have gotten a little weaker.
Birds are tougher, they just do a lot more damage.

Pure str bears are still strongest but hit% is so crappy that cant hit like anything. (in pvp debuffed hit of pure str bear is around 25-35)
Endgame mages are weaker

snowfu
10-10-2013, 09:04 PM
True...

Delphina
10-21-2013, 11:38 AM
Hello community! Who wants to help with updating this guide on how to not look like a noob :)

I see 2 classes are missing..

SayCreed
10-21-2013, 02:38 PM
Hello community! Who wants to help with updating this guide on how to not look like a noob :)

I would but I'm a bit noobish with paladims

Reunegade
10-21-2013, 06:21 PM

I would, I know a bit on paladins :)

IGN Storm
10-21-2013, 07:44 PM

(Before as you progress, I copied some of the text)
Rhinos

Your job is to "tank" and support. All that STR you're pumping up? Well, it’s not really for damage (yes, it helps, but that's not your main job) -- it's to increase your hit points and armor so you can take more damage. You go in first, and get the attention of the enemies using Summon. Make them attack you. Use Heal and Buffs (Vital Force and Brute Force) when you are near your teammates, as often as possible. These skills restore your teammate’s HP and give you a lot of H/s, boost your team’s offensive stats, and boost your team’s defensive stats.

Get the best armor rating, M/s regen, and H/s regen rates you can. Yes, a two-handed sword looks cool and does more damage, but in a group, that's not your job. A shield will serve you better and some of the 1-handed weapons have nice effects that can help offset their lower damage.

Foxes

Ok, see everything above about Rhinos? Do the opposite. You want to hang back, using long-range attacks, focusing on the enemy causing the biggest problem. Occasionally, when the mob is targeting someone else, use Vixen Kick or Rabit Bite to get close and deal some damage. Only birds are better than you at dealing damage to a single target, and your presence will help greatly in boss fights.

But beware, you're squishy. Standing toe to toe with an enemy or a Boss is pretty dangerous, so make sure you back enough potions, healers, and Evasion(Your defensive buff that boosts dodge and armor)

Your move Hypnotize can be used to "pull" single targets toward the group, allowing the team to split up encounters into more manageable chunks. Once you've pulled, though, stop firing until the tank draws enough hate to keep you from being turned into a chicken nugget snack.

(After As You Progress)

Rhinos

When you are running low on health, and heal is on cool down, you can use Charge followed by Redemption. This Combo heals your HP 2x the damage you deal, and also boosts your damage by a bit. When fighting enemies, use Summon a lot so they won’t dodge. Your teammates can easily finish them off after. When you see a teammate in need, use Holy Tempest to push enemies away. Also, use Rhino Might to stun enemies, so they won’t be able to harm your team’s delicate Fox or Birds. When all else fails, you can always rev your teammates so they can get back in the action! Don’t forget to use Stone Skin, Vital Force, Guardian, and Brute Force to make yourself more powerful!

Foxes
Your damage might be slightly less than a bird, but your tactical skills make you very important to the group. When fighting, you should try to use Rage Tonic and Fury as much as possible. Rage Tonic boosts your damage and critical by a lot, while Fury increase your hit% so you never miss. Evasion is good for evading enemy attacks, so once in a while you can fight them hand to hand! Poison Dart slows down an enemy so you or a teammate can escape. Fox Howl deals good damage, but also reduces the enemy’s damage! Hamstring and Armor Shredder is crucial to boss fights. Hamstring makes them dodge a lot less while Armor Shredder obviously reduces their armor. Your group can then finish the boss off much faster. And don’t forget, Rabit Bite + Hamstring = Combo!

irshad
10-23-2013, 12:30 AM
Nice knowledgeable post storm thanks a lot.

Bobface11
02-27-2014, 06:50 PM
Thank you! I'm a lvl 16 enchantress who doesn't know how to use it until now. :) I now have lightning almost maxed. :D

Exol
03-01-2014, 03:38 AM
Thanks for this guide. :banana:

fourleaf
03-04-2014, 07:23 PM
not really sure why the fox is to hang back
keeping a 8m range even eliminates using 5 of their 8 attack skills, or just 4 if you use hypnotize at farther range, which few starters will have figured out
I would recommend adding on some str and jumping into a mob

Drianikaben
03-05-2014, 10:57 PM
Not gonna lie... I have been a mage for 3 years now, and this description of what a mage is supposed to do offends me.

Anyone that has ever gotten that help thing saying: Birds and mages: Don't rush a room alone, and is a good mage, knows exactly what I am talking about...

As a mage, I have the ability to debuff, heal, survive, do massive damage, tank, everything and anything. All at once. Sure, I have had 3 years to master this. But I recently tried making a bear and a bird. Went into it with mage mentality (solo everything to 65). Didn't work out. I have 3 mages right now, all with under 2K deaths, (one under 300 deaths, and has warlord title) and they all solo'ed to where they are. My level 51 dex mage? 22K kills, 105 deaths. 69 mage? 39K kills, 273 deaths. First mage I ever had (the one I mastered mage class with) 57K kills, 1634 deaths. All solo.

It offends me to say I'm squishy like a bird, and that I'm meant to support. That's how mage was intended. That's not how it is.

/endrant

For the most part, I agree with this. Birds DPS and avoid combat, bears tank, rhino's tank/support, foxes DPS and avoid combat. The only thing I disagree with is mages.

This is very good for the non-solo newb, that is just learning the basis of the game tho. *cough*magesdonteversupportgiveusallbadnames*cough *

Schnitzel
03-06-2014, 05:58 PM
eh...this is an old thread..the stuff on here could be outdated..i remember 3yrs back..birds are dex, mages int, bears str.
but now, its kinda like birds dex/str, mage str, bear str..