PDA

View Full Version : Hidden grates

JemNI
01-24-2011, 12:20 PM
I've found a couple different hidden grate entrances to dungeons. I was curious about them, but did a search and don't find much except that they have some good drops. Are they really good for anything?

Can you invite other players into them to do them as a group?

Royce
01-24-2011, 12:34 PM
They are just like regular maps except that they may have respawning mobs and even bosses (depending on which grate, they all work a bit differently). So you can invite people, but there is no host so there is no booting or anything like that. Some have unique drops that you can't get in other maps of that campaign, and the respawning ones are also good for leveling if you don't like to be hassled to remake games ;)

Fyrce
01-24-2011, 06:10 PM
Just go in and look around. If you die a lot, then level some. If not, then go explore. There are walkable areas for a reason. Go explore.

Pocket Legend
01-24-2011, 06:52 PM
I found one of these grate things you are speaking about near Balefort. :) Took a look!

JemNI
01-25-2011, 11:20 AM
Thanks. I was wondering if they were worth my time, i.e. anything cool at the end. I tried one and got killed pretty quick. I'll go back now that I'm higher level.

Norbert
01-25-2011, 12:25 PM
There are a number of them - I know Dark Forest, Lost Expedition, Balefort Castle at least have them. Each is a different level so you can find one that fits, and each does also have a drop that can't be found elsewhere and can be quite valuable. You'll probably see level 50s in them, which is a sure indicator that there's loot nearby.

Balefort respawns so you don't have to leave to get new critters and boss (Vyxnarr), but the others you have to run through and then everybody has to leave to get the level to reset. Once you finish there's always a portal opened at the end so you can hop out.

itmustbejj
01-25-2011, 12:34 PM
I haven't tried the Balefort Castle one yet, I've really only tried the Dark Forest one. After I finished all my DF quests, I farmed that hidden passage while xping from 15-18. I'll definitely be checking out the others.

Royce
01-25-2011, 12:37 PM
Balefort respawns so you don't have to leave to get new critters and boss (Vyxnarr), but the others you have to run through and then everybody has to leave to get the level to reset. Once you finish there's always a portal opened at the end so you can hop out.

Vyxnaar is in the forbidden crypt, not any of the hidden passages, also he's level 25 so associated with fathom. I also think there is one passage (Balefort maybe) with no exit portal so you just have to exit map when you want to leave.

Snakespeare
01-25-2011, 04:55 PM
Thanks. I was wondering if they were worth my time, i.e. anything cool at the end. I tried one and got killed pretty quick. I'll go back now that I'm higher level.

When a magic item drops, pause and look at its level. I recommend you be at least the same level as the magic items that drop. That is, 14 for the one in Ursan Weald, 19 for the one outside Balefort, 25 for the Forbidden Crypt between Balefort and Glumdoll Cemetary, 25 for the one in Glumdoll, 30 for the one behind the shopkeeper's tent in Basecamp.

The boss in the Forbidden Crypt and the boss in Basecamp are extra hard and you will want a full party.

Fyrce
01-25-2011, 07:17 PM
I thought exploring was a natural part of these types of games...

Getting killed pretty quick wouldn't stop me :P Getting killed in one shot repeatedly might, depending on how "repeatedly" it is and I'll be trying different things, including trying to train a group to see if it's doable, which it generally is. Cheers to all the other stubborn players out there. Yippee!