PDA

View Full Version : Explanation for cs rediculous prices.

Vratz
01-25-2011, 01:44 AM
Has anyone else noticed that the CS items are ridiculously over priced? Just to name a few; Ol rift helm: 300k+ (while the hate is much harder to get it's only 200k), green ice weapons: 1mill+.

I think the reason for this is that 93% of the prices are made up by a chubby 6 year old with koolaid mustache.

The "economy" in this game is totally effed. This is why you have to be 18 to vote and do things in the real world. Otherwise a 1999 Honda civic would cost 200,000 dollars.

Ellyidol
01-25-2011, 01:56 AM
No supply. Its pretty easy to drop prices in CS if enough people are selling the same thing. Its just gonna be underprice after underprice.

It seems the set pieces (rift/void) are the ones most wanted. OL Rift, Void Armor, Rift Armor. These are also the hardest to get probably.

Green ice I can understand since I've gone hours without even seeing one drop.

Tsarra
01-25-2011, 02:00 AM
I started to write a suggestion post about the economy on PL, but I got about two paragraphs in and deleted the whole thing. It is what it is. I spend my days in the swamps, hoping for pink juice to fall from the skies.

Edit: A crafting system would probably resolve this. Or make it worse. Either way it would be interesting.

Ellyidol
01-25-2011, 02:04 AM
So did I tsarra. Back before the CS was introduced. I re read it again now, some points still stand but generally theres really nothing wrong. Idk why i saw them before, but i don't see them now.

Crafting would be awesome (click sig!)

Ayrilana
01-25-2011, 02:15 AM
No idea why green ice is back up so high when there are so many people farming it right now.

Tsarra
01-25-2011, 02:16 AM
I know. You are preaching to the choir. It would also be a coding nightmare and a den for exploits, I'm sure, which is why we don't have it yet. The crap would have to be playtested out of it.

Back on topic, though, it would seem that an item that a player had modified might fetch a higher premium on CS, but with good reason: NO ONE ELSE has exactly that item. Having EQ with set stats on it is good from a coding perspective, but it means that there is a best configuration which can be attained by any player, and a price can be put on that configuration at CS. They did a good job with the Level 50 EQs (I read all the discussions about which set is the best and I still don't know, so I decided I'm getting them all), but there's definite best EQ for pretty much all the lower levels, depending on build -- this is why you get jacked at the store. There's also PvP, which is why the Green Ice stuff is so expensive (I think) and why anyone bothers with low-level pinks in the first place. I don't PvP, so I just farm all that equipment and sell it, with mixed results. Like Vratz said, the economy is effed. I hope someone is writing a paper on this. I really do.

Orei
01-25-2011, 02:24 AM
One word. Speculation. Anyone can list an item for any price they like, but if it stays on CS long enough for you to see it, its not worth that price. Good and cheap items are usually bought off within 5 to 10 mins upon listing. Whatever left on the shelves are all over priced items. And when an item expires, we presume it was sold, thus the misconception of over priced stuff being worth that price.

SeVeNSiNs
01-25-2011, 03:12 AM
Has anyone else noticed that the CS items are ridiculously over priced? Just to name a few; Ol rift helm: 300k+ (while the hate is much harder to get it's only 200k), green ice weapons: 1mill+.

I think the reason for this is that 93% of the prices are made up by a chubby 6 year old with koolaid mustache.

The "economy" in this game is totally effed. This is why you have to be 18 to vote and do things in the real world. Otherwise a 1999 Honda civic would cost 200,000 dollars.

+1 Omg this made me laugh so hard. It's true, completely true haha.
It would cost 1mil :p

Necrobane
01-25-2011, 03:51 AM
I still think a set of dailies is the best approach, that way people don't really on the CS to make their cash.

Riccits
01-25-2011, 05:05 AM

prices sets always theyr own. ppl pay for ol rift more bcz rift set is still better than hate set.
and try to farm a green ice item, then u will figure out why they cost so much....

Kalielle
01-25-2011, 09:48 AM
I've watched shop prices a lot and I think the economy works well and prices eventually get to be around the point where supply meets demand. Here's what seems to happen: when there's a new item or an update that changes item demand, in the beginning nobody knows what the price is for that item, and prices will be all over the place. Often someone will list the item at a really high price in CS and others will follow suit and list and a slightly lower price. But if the demand isn't there, after a few days all these people will relist at an even lower price, and everybody will list lower than the person above them until finally stuff begins to sell. Then the price will stay around that level, often for a long time.

When I list ao3 rares in cs I list them at market price and they usually sell in around 3 days. That shows that the market price is the right one and there's demand for those items at those prices.

Also if you think OL rift helm is overpriced you should try to farm for it. I've been doing map3 yesterday evening for hours and haven't seen a single rare drop for anyone in the team. But meanwhile I accumulated enough gold from greens to end up with more gold than I started even though I was using damage pots most of the time. Gold is easy to farm now, and items are not - that's why they cost a lot of gold.

Bigsleazy
01-25-2011, 10:05 AM
Hahahahaha. You should have seen the prices on these items during the first month of ao3. Can't believe you're complaining about 700k rift

Ellyidol
01-25-2011, 10:06 AM
I bought my Rift Armor alone for 1.3m back when ao3 was new. =/

Snakespeare
01-25-2011, 10:11 AM
Go farm the items yourself, and if the game doesn't drop them, use something that does drop. We don't all have to have the top of the line equipment.

BeefyMeat
01-25-2011, 10:12 AM
I bought my Rift Armor alone for 1.3m back when ao3 was new. =/

Stop whining, Captain "I got 3 Void Armors last night"...lol!

How about the ridiculous prices of the quickstrike talons when they came out with a .4 attack rate or something before the CS...25K for purple.

StompArtist
01-25-2011, 10:13 AM
They are at these prices because people are willing to pay for them. :D

Bigsleazy
01-25-2011, 10:18 AM
Nobody else remembers when rift and void were closer to 2m...?

BeefyMeat
01-25-2011, 10:19 AM
I tried to explain that whole supply and demand thing to a someone the other day in Balefort, essentially went like this:

Random player A: I'll give you 225K for hate Armor.
Seller of Hate armor: It's worth more than that.
Me: Doesn't matter what you think it's worth, it's selling for 200K in the CS.
Seller: Yes, but Death armor is selling for 350K.
Me: No, death is selling for 250K, and there are 5 in there CS. There are 10 Hate armors, from 200K to to 300K.
Seller: Still, it's too good to sell at 200K.
Me: Your hate armor is no different than the one selling for 200K, so it's not worth 350K.
Seller: Yes it is.
Random Player A: I'll give you 200K for Hate Armor

Me: insert gun in mouth, pull trigger with toe

Punktate
01-25-2011, 10:47 AM
If you were to check the prices of Keepers staff of the Cosmos yester day morning and this morning, youd see it went up about 20k. Its a trick to make money, buy every single item of one kind, raise the price to whatever you want. Sure enough people will follow, then lower your price alot.

Ex.)
Buy every staff, you spend around 100k (Say 10 staffs)

Raise staff prices to 100k each
People will sell 95k, 94k ectect... to try and sell theirs, by asking the least amount of money.
Sell yours for 40k, while they are selling 90k. They wont want to lower theirs by over 50k, so they will wait until yours are sold.
People will buy your staffs, because they think that they can sell it for a higher price, since other people are selling for 90k and you are selling for 40. They will assume you are stupid or need money badly. After your 10 staffs are sold for 40k each, you will have 400k.

You spend 100k, you make back 400k.

/Economic win.

FluffNStuff
01-25-2011, 10:52 AM
If you were to check the prices of Keepers staff of the Cosmos yester day morning and this morning, youd see it went up about 20k. Its a trick to make money, buy every single item of one kind, raise the price to whatever you want. Sure enough people will follow, then lower your price alot.

Ex.)
Buy every staff, you spend around 100k (Say 10 staffs)

Raise staff prices to 100k each
People will sell 95k, 94k ectect... to try and sell theirs, by asking the least amount of money.
Sell yours for 40k, while they are selling 90k. They wont want to lower theirs by over 50k, so they will wait until yours are sold.
People will buy your staffs, because they think that they can sell it for a higher price, since other people are selling for 90k and you are selling for 40. They will assume you are stupid or need money badly. After your 10 staffs are sold for 40k each, you will have 400k.

You spend 100k, you make back 400k.

/Economic win.

Problem with that is that the staffs come in so fast. When the set was released, the 'price' jumped to 150K ... but was back down to 20K before any of the higher ones sold.

Ellyidol
01-25-2011, 10:59 AM
Stop whining, Captain "I got 3 Void Armors last night"...lol!

How about the ridiculous prices of the quickstrike talons when they came out with a .4 attack rate or something before the CS...25K for purple.

Not complaining! Just saying they were much much more before vs now. :)

Vratz
01-25-2011, 11:03 AM
I've watched shop prices a lot and I think the economy works well and prices eventually get to be around the point where supply meets demand. Here's what seems to happen: when there's a new item or an update that changes item demand, in the beginning nobody knows what the price is for that item, and prices will be all over the place. Often someone will list the item at a really high price in CS and others will follow suit and list and a slightly lower price. But if the demand isn't there, after a few days all these people will relist at an even lower price, and everybody will list lower than the person above them until finally stuff begins to sell. Then the price will stay around that level, often for a long time.

When I list ao3 rares in cs I list them at market price and they usually sell in around 3 days. That shows that the market price is the right one and there's demand for those items at those prices.

Also if you think OL rift helm is overpriced you should try to farm for it. I've been doing map3 yesterday evening for hours and haven't seen a single rare drop for anyone in the team. But meanwhile I accumulated enough gold from greens to end up with more gold than I started even though I was using damage pots most of the time. Gold is easy to farm now, and items are not - that's why they cost a lot of gold.

I have had more luck in farming ao3 than shadow caves. The shadow caves are a money pit. In the end I guess the economy works out.

Riccits
01-25-2011, 11:10 AM
lowest prices was before the rush nerf, a OL Rift was 150k there, 250k for a wraith...
to get a wraith was easy like farm swamps lol, just rush to tpaxx an kill, u needed only a minute for it, so it was relativley easy to get..
after the nerf prices exploded: 450k OL Rift, 800k wraith

Norbert
01-25-2011, 11:49 AM
On a similar note, anyone notice that for any particular item there's often one or two for sale that are a factor of ten more expensive? E.g., some staff has 5 for sale for 30K and then there's two for 130k. I'm wondering if people are just hoping that someone fat-fingers the buy button?

I know I've had items listed for 3 days that then fell in price savagely (I'm looking at you, Dreamers Witch Toad Tiara - 260K last week, 120K now), but this seems different. I had thought maybe people were trying to keep the prices high on items or something, but I can't imagine that would work.

Ellyidol
01-25-2011, 11:52 AM
^ Thats true. I don't know why bother putting them up for really high prices. My only explainaiton is that there was no item of the type when they registered, so they charge whatever. Very unlikely though.

BeefyMeat
01-25-2011, 12:44 PM
Or they have the idea of a certain value for something, not realizing the true value is what someone has/is willing to pay to obtain the item.