PDA

View Full Version : Free to play question

Manually Installed
01-27-2011, 06:42 PM
Hi,

I'm new to the forums and the game Pocket Legends.
I have read the FAQ.
I read in the FAQ that there isn't any monthly charges, or at least yet. Then it said something about micro-transactions later in the game.
What are micro-transactions?
Am I secretly charged for playing the game without being told to my cell account or not?
Do I have the option to play for free all the time or do I have to eventually pay at some point?

Please forgive me if this isn't the forum area to ask this? Or even if I'm not suppose to post it and I should have asked through private messages. Sorry if I was wrong.

Royce
01-27-2011, 06:45 PM
You won't be charged for anything secretly lol. You can play the free content and reach level 18. If you want to go further you have to buy platinum to use for getting additional expansions, etc. That's what they mean by microtransactions. You buy plat with real currency and use it in game for map packs and all kinds of extras if you want.

Manually Installed
01-27-2011, 06:48 PM
Thank you, Royce

Inching
01-27-2011, 06:52 PM
the game is free... you start at level 1 for your character and current max level is 50. your game experience is free until you reach level 18. then in order to proceed further you will need to buy additional maps which cost something called platinum (in game currency). To get this in game currency you will need to use real money and purchase this platinum. This I believe are the “micro-transactions” they mean. Besides the additional maps which cost platinum, your are also able to purchase additional vanity items like helmets, weapons, gear in general which are only additional items which does not affect your game play but just extra customizations.

In a nut shell, this game doe not charge you hidden charges and its free until level 18. After this, you will need to pay in order to proceed to other levels and maps.

Good luck.

Fyrce
01-27-2011, 07:25 PM
The content for the first 2 areas is free. Forest Haven has a town and its dungeons let you level until level 13. Dark Forest has a town and its dungeons let you level until you are level 18. You can repeat as often as you like, though only 2 characters per account for free.

Beyond that and to get other interesting items, you will need to purchase Platinums to buy that other content, including other areas (they call them campaigns here), funny hats, etc. Platinums are purchased with real money or you can try the TapJoy feature, which is that FREE PLATINUM thing you see on log in or log out.

Microtransactions are what they're calling the new online business model. It used to be subscription; then they tried all free, but then no one made money :P The new idea is some free content and then to get more stuff (new areas, pets, cute faces, customizing your character), you pay for it. There's usually separate game currencies for the "paid" items and the normal gaming stuff. In PL, i'ts Platinum vs gold. Someone was trying to explain this as something to do with U.S. gaming/gambling laws, but I'm not sure I understand it all. All I know is they were very serious about it NOT being put into the category of gambling. Anyways, you buy in-game Platinum w/ real money and Platinum in turn buys in-game items that enhance your gameplay. PL generally warns you before you spend Platinum. Gold is a completely in-game-only currency.