PDA

View Full Version : Remember when...you were a noob - kind mentors or funny stories...

kallima
01-27-2011, 07:06 PM
Hey all - just starting to post though I use the forums quite frequently as they are a treasure trove of information, but thought I would share this story & say thanks to the friendly & experienced players that kept me hitting that PL neeedle.

I started playing in Oct '10, managed to get to about lvl 28 by creating games (this is my first MMO) when I got discouraged because I kept on getting booted immediately from AO3. Well, I finally just created a game and tried to solo it, managed to kill about 8 aliens when Shahsyed joined, (laughed at my ridiculous attempt - but nicely) and recruited some lvl 50 friends. Dumbfounded and elated at their generosity, I thanked them and have never forgotten that random act of kindness. It allowed me to see a glimpse of what I had in store and have been hooked ever since.

So forgive my long-winded story (no fart jokes, please :P) but here's my shout-out to Shahsyed and all the experienced players that had the patience to put up with, not only a PL newb but a MMO newb as well!

p.s. I have since learned what MMORPG stands for and how fun they really are!

Snakespeare
01-27-2011, 07:12 PM
Great story. I had mentors, too. I still look to Royce as a mentor, in fact, but there were others. Like you, once I got some great help (in my case it was scads of information from the guy), I decided to never lose my appreciation for him.

Arterra
01-27-2011, 07:13 PM
ive tried to help out individuals every so often... im usually disappointed in how they turn out tho :( guess my standards are too high lol

wish i had a mentor. during the mynas disaster nobody wanted anything to do with new people.

Cormz
01-27-2011, 07:50 PM
i remember when i was about level 5 i think and i was in forest haven when i saw a guy with a mega blaster equipped. my mind was. BLOWN. it was the coolest thing i had ever seen in my life. you have no idea. i vowed to get that gun one day.

Eleanor
01-28-2011, 12:30 AM
When I was starting out with my main character... I didn't really wanna talk to a lot of people but this one guy kept on annoying me about what he knows about the game and his life... I mean we always "accidentally" bump into each other...

But in the end, I added him as a friend and was actually fun to play with! Haha! He was my first friend in Pocket Legends! Anyone ever heard of Zhendra?

Otukura
01-28-2011, 12:33 AM
Biglocloc..

Long story, I'll type it later, if I feel like it.

powerandintent
01-28-2011, 12:38 AM
haah I got booted from ao2 and ao3 so many times from 40-49. I tried to make my own games and solo them, but I never got very far. I just ended up chugging potions and dying about every 10 seconds.

Fyrce
01-28-2011, 02:41 AM
I made games in Ao2 and Ao3 and every time people joined... How'd that happen?

Kalielle
01-28-2011, 09:57 AM
Brandonbowls/Bowlingord was my mentor and first close friend in the game. We met when we were like level 14 in Dark Forest, but he was more into the game than me at first and leveled much faster. I would join him as a level 35ish in Ao2 plasma pyramid runs full of 45s, and he would always immediately say something like, "Hi Kalielle!!!!!!!!" and nobody would dare boot me after such an enthusiastic greeting. :D (I wasn't trying to leech btw, I just didn't realize at the time what a difference an extra 10 levels can make). He also shared so much gear with me - and this was back when I didn't know how to farm or trade so without him I would have been wearing the worst gear imaginable.:o

This is a great thread - keep the stories coming! And thanks for reminding us that we were all new once.

BeefyMeat
01-28-2011, 10:05 AM
1) Not figuring out how to join a group on a particular board until about level 15, that was a fun grind by myself.

2) Running into Captive Audience and opening all the containers the first time I went.

3) Just now finding out that Ellie sells 100 potions for what I used to pay for 50.

Being a noob to this day can be priceless.

Lesrider
01-28-2011, 10:08 AM
When I was lvling, I never bought anything -- just went with what I looted/got from quests. But occasionally I'd get gifted something better than what I had by someone in the group. I just always missed who it was that gave it to me, so don't know any of their names. (I got an ice talon -- the kind that freezes and throws ice shards everywhere -- while in the swamps, and first thought it was a drop lol. Then I realized it must have been a gift.)

Was always a nice surprise. I think the pre-cs days made things like this more fun. Back then I didn't know anything about items I didn't have, so if someone gave me somethig better, even if it was a green or purple, it was exciting. But the cs allows anyone to get just about anything for cheap -- so people are not as likely to just be using the stuff they looted.

Refriedchicken
01-28-2011, 11:31 AM
When I first started playing, I was pretty confused.

I thought going into the portal was finishing a quest, and it took me to level 30ish to understand what the Balefort 19/19 meant(etc).

I also couldn't figure out how mages were equipping Sword, and bows.

I didn't know there was a "Join game" button to find all active games until about level 30.
I bought a Lucky Elixer with my first 3k thinking it was permanent and was irate when it wore off.

I fought a boss in Forest Haven and figured it would respawn, waited literally an hour while the game was on just watching for a re-spawn. -.-

At level 38 (after leeching Crush the Keeper for several runs without an elixer), I wrote a GIGANTIC 3 page front/back list of around 350 items and they're prices and stood around Balefort for about a week straight trying to sell them before realizing that level 50 greens/whites/purples don't sell. (Metallic caps were 10k each in the cs, I had like 14 of them, I thought I was LOADED)

When I hit level 50, I was SHOCKED that I was considered poor with 200k. xD

I sort of miss being new to this game, it seemed so vast and confusing. I remember the first time I got platinum I joined games and was aw-stuck by the new content I just purchased. This game is so aluring to newer players.

Lesrider
01-28-2011, 11:37 AM
Metallic caps were never 10k in the cs. The second the cs opened, all 2nd tier lvl 50 pinks shot down to 1-2k (and then as low as 4-500g). Before the cs, we might have been lucky to get 5k for them.
The cs spoils everyone.

Tsarra
01-28-2011, 11:41 AM
Running into Captive Audience and opening all the containers the first time I went.

I still do this. :p

Pandamoni
01-28-2011, 12:06 PM
What a great idea to rehash ways we've been helped out. I know it's reminded me to be a little more patient in game and I tend to be pretty laid back and patient already :)

When I was about level 30 I went into AO2 with some horrible staff I had looted and somebody in the party, rather than shouting to boot (because I kept dying) gave me a good wand and eyeball. I don't remember who it was but I always remember that and if I'm playing levels with lower players who seem like they're really trying but have bad gear I'll check out what they're using and if I have something better I'll give it to them. That one random act has turned into many! We never know how just one nice act can keep on spreading.

RRuly also helped me a lot. When I got to fifty I had random amounts of points in dex, strength and intel. I was just spamming skills without understanding just exactly what a buff and debuff are. I had read the guides here but I'm the type of person who needs to actually interact and talk about something to understand it. So he helped me figure out how to arrange my skills, how to use them more effectively and how to do combos. I had no idea what a combo was! He has also felt sorry for me trying to PVP because I suck so bad (I'm so not a competitive person and PVP I think really needs that competitive personality) that he'll let me kill him sometimes. At least I'm pretty sure that's what he's doing. He'll suspiciously just stand there sometimes while I slowly kill him and then pretend that I really did it on my own. haha! Plus, he gave me a full cosmos set! I felt guilty taking it so I saved it in case he ever needed it back :)

Oh, one thing I didn't understand at all were my skills when I first started. I didn't know what heal was and would just walk around hitting it randomly in town, etc. I've seen a lot of low level mages who don't understand what heal is either! Seems like a no brainer but I don't think I figured it out until I was level 11 and I didn't realize I was supposed to be healing the party until I was level 17, was in a party and someone said, "will you please start healing the group?" Instead of assuming I just didn't want to heal they were really nice and asked in a way that taught me what I was supposed to be doing. I was thankful to not get the boot and actually learn what my job was. That actually lead to me liking to play a lot more because I like to be in a group and either try to keep everyone alive if possible or at least res'd pretty quickly if I'm not able to spam heal quickly enough. It took me a few levels to realize what res did, too. I thought it was to revive ME if I died and when that didn't work I thought it was broken. Finally I got res'd and realized, "aha! it's for my teammates! DUUUHHH"

And I've gotten some really nice things just randomly given to me. My shadows helmet and robes were gifts. I was in the CS one day and someone just gave me a laser wand. Said something like, "here you go! Enjoy!"

I know it has always made me feel good to walk into a game and have people say hi so I always try to greet players.

I'll add more if I think of any.

drewcapu
01-28-2011, 12:27 PM
After about two weeks of playing, I discovered several things when I started to play a little less and explore game mechanics and buy some platinum stuff more:

The "..." button gave you access to the chat history which went a lot farther than the 3 chat size toggles. I then discovered the actual usefulness of the skill menu collapse/expand button to make it easier to scroll through the history.

The usefulnees of the /who command (especially on a quickchat button) in towne to see the names of everyone around. It even came in handy for the antenna giveaway last night.

"Moonwalking" by clicking in the hallway over the wall in the ? guy's room in AO2.5 to make walking the cleared hallway a lot easier. (I knew about tapping far ahead to move, but not to that extreme.)

Potions for free? It wasn't until a bit later that I discovered the best way to farm them. muahahaha.

Recover item sold button. How come I didn't see that earlier? lol

The concept of mules, thanks to a screenshot on the forum.

RedRyder
01-28-2011, 12:58 PM
My first mentor and friend was cheshirepoet. Shed give me items all the time and farm them for me when I wasn't on.
She taught me the art of giving lol.

Ladylove
01-28-2011, 03:19 PM
Oh, one thing I didn't understand at all were my skills when I first started. I didn't know what heal was and would just walk around hitting it randomly in town, etc. I've seen a lot of low level mages who don't understand what heal is either! Seems like a no brainer but I don't think I figured it out until I was level 11 and I didn't realize I was supposed to be healing the party until I was level 17, was in a party and someone said, "will you please start healing the group?" Instead of assuming I just didn't want to heal they were really nice and asked in a way that taught me what I was supposed to be doing. I was thankful to not get the boot and actually learn what my job was. That actually lead to me liking to play a lot more because I like to be in a group and either try to keep everyone alive if possible or at least res'd pretty quickly if I'm not able to spam heal quickly enough. It took me a few levels to realize what res did, too. I thought it was to revive ME if I died and when that didn't work I thought it was broken. Finally I got res'd and realized, "aha! it's for my teammates! DUUUHHH".

I remember when I first started I kept spamming rev because I thought it was either making me stronger or hurting the enemies.

I've done a good bit of mentoring in PVP ever since Mrsbanana taught me to be a paladin

RedRyder
01-28-2011, 03:57 PM
I remember when I first started I kept spamming rev because I thought it was either making me stronger or hurting the enemies.

I've done a good bit of mentoring in PVP ever since Mrsbanana taught me to be a paladin

haha i think every new mage has this problem. i used to hit rev whenever i died and be like wtf??? and when someone died id get yelled it for not reving them and screamed back saying "im hitting it man!!!" i didnt realize that i had to be close to the deceased for it to actually work haha

Ladylove
01-28-2011, 04:01 PM
haha i think every new mage has this problem. i used to hit rev whenever i died and be like wtf??? and when someone died id get yelled it for not reving them and screamed back saying "im hitting it man!!!" i didnt realize that i had to be close to the deceased for it to actually work haha

Hahahah I did that too. I'd try to rev somone at the end of the map from the beginning of the map

Snakespeare
01-28-2011, 04:04 PM
Thanks drewcapu for telling me that DF drops scale to the level of the party! Level 10 twinks forever.

DawnInfinity
01-28-2011, 04:08 PM
I remember the first day I played, I was in Forest Haven fighting some zombies, and another player gave me a gray darkbolt blaster that I could use instead of the firebolt one. My first gift. :o

Dizzy
01-28-2011, 04:10 PM
What a great idea to rehash ways we've been helped out. I know it's reminded me to be a little more patient in game and I tend to be pretty laid back and patient already :)

You were awesomely patient last night. :D

I've been grinding it out in Close Encounters for a couple of days as it was the last unlocked map I could still get XP on. I've been soloing for the last two weeks because I enjoy the challenge and also because most of my friends list hasn't kept up with my leveling. And given I've solo'd so much, I still struggle to work with a group because group games move at a much faster pace than soloing, and someone screaming NOOB! then giving me the boot isn't my idea of fun, so I haven't been joining PUGs in fear of mucking up and getting yelled at.

Vicious cycle, that. I want to learn to work in a group with fun people who are patient, but I can't meet anyone unless I do PUGs which I don't like to do because not everyone is patient.

Well, last night Pandamoni joined my Close Encounters game and helped me FINALLY finish that level so I could get Keeper unlocked. Then we went on to Keeper and a few others joined us. I was all, oooo pretty colors, look! Shadow mobs! That boss dropped a pink on me! And meanwhile the FPS on my EVO was so bad it was like having high ping so I was a few steps behind everyone, and I suck at typing on my phone so it when someone asked me something, it would take like 10 minutes to reply, lol (my answer to almost everything was, "I solo a lot"). But it was so much fun! I finally hit 50! I did a little dance!

And Pandamoni stayed with me, chatting and joking and introducing me to people. At one point she said to everyone, "RMG?" and everyone left. I had no idea what "RMG" meant, so I shrugged and started killing the handful of mobs left. Then she sent me an invite to a new Keeper game and it dawned on me that RMG stood for remake game. n00b! Hehehe.

Anyway, it so much fun. Thanks Pandamoni for helping me unlock Keeper and get to 50 and reminding me how much fun it is to work in a group. :D

Ava
01-28-2011, 04:56 PM
I wanted to say hi to a player when one joined my game. But thought his account name was "Boot". Then wonder why'd he leave ??!!
Several came in again and I did the same thinking, "oh look he's back !!". ...

Pandamoni
01-28-2011, 07:58 PM
You were awesomely patient last night. :D
Anyway, it so much fun. Thanks Pandamoni for helping me unlock Keeper and get to 50 and reminding me how much fun it is to work in a group. :D

You were great! You underestimate yourself. I had fun. Glad I found you!

Cormz
01-28-2011, 08:07 PM
it also took me till lvl 35 i think to figure out that pinks were the best; i had always thought that they sucked. xD

Ladylove
01-28-2011, 08:19 PM
it also took me till lvl 35 i think to figure out that pinks were the best; i had always thought that they sucked. xD

I didn't even know that pinks were items until them. People in town were spamming about selling "pinks". I was like... they're selling colors?

giayuan
01-28-2011, 11:11 PM
gunnderak :D he quit now unfortunately becuz of "lack of content" apparently..but anyway, he gifted me 1k gold when i was a little noob and of course, thats a big amount than :D

Lesrider
01-28-2011, 11:18 PM
I didn't even know that pinks were items until them. People in town were spamming about selling "pinks". I was like... they're selling colors?

I think everyone went through that stage ;)
I ignored all those people selling things, though, until I was like lvl 50 already.

LoztChaos
01-29-2011, 12:47 AM
I remember this one time when I was a noob, and I saw this thread about posting your fav stories from when you were a noob!

Oh wait...that's now..

Wahh )=

DawnInfinity
01-29-2011, 01:06 AM
I remember this one time when I was a noob, and I saw this thread about posting your fav stories from when you were a noob!

Oh wait...that's now..

Wahh )=

We all have noobish moments. Haha.

Your sig.. perplexes me btw haha

Kalielle
01-29-2011, 09:41 AM
I wanted to say hi to a player when one joined my game. But thought his account name was "Boot". Then wonder why'd he leave ??!!
Several came in again and I did the same thinking, "oh look he's back !!". ...

Oh no!! Rofl!

Xymorg
01-29-2011, 10:06 AM
My most recent noob moment was finally figuring out why i seemed to be the only one that was blinded by cut scenes. It was dangerous, esp long ones like Gurg.

kallima
01-29-2011, 01:34 PM
I remember being in AO1 and birds kept telling me "Buff, buff!" and I didn't even have any skills allocated to buff, which was embarassing to ask what that meant & explain I couldn't! (immediately respecced after that)

As far as heals go - no clue either until a bear finally got fed up & told me to do my job, after learning what it was, I understood & finally started to monitor my teammates' health along w/my own.

Nightmare & weakness I vaguely understood as an abstract but would spam it in towne because I liked the pretty colors!

I didn't even know what trade was until level 30+, when a bear went through step by step instructions so I could purchase his brain-freeze wand & eye!

And gifting, until I got onto forums I didn't even think gold was worth anything so just gave away all the looted items I couldn't use to whoever was standing next to me in towne, didn't matter what color they were!

Also had no clue about maps as I stayed in Wlydewood for much too long (i think about 2 weeks) wondering why I wasn't leveling up!

Thank goodness for forums because I would have never found cs or bothered to use it, if I hadn't read all the information here!

Laugh away, I'd rather be an amusement than an annoyance! :P

Lesrider
01-29-2011, 01:39 PM
Ha I remember when I started using my bear in ao3 and in crush, everyone kept telling me to pull to corners. But I only had 1 point in beckon and it never worked. I was so confused and always got yelled at till I finally learned what was wrong. Man those skills need better descriptions. You totally need to read the forums to know what all your skills do.

Fyrce
01-29-2011, 05:35 PM
OMG, soo funny. I guess I got lucky. People told me about Ellie, / commands, etc., though I kind of was expecting stuff like that. What was surprising was the store in the character screen. Usually one has to walk to stores :)

I am surprised how many people say they solo a lot. I solo very little. Usually when I start, people join in and unless they're horrible, I work on playing with them. Actually, when I'm playing in a low level area, it always cracks me up when friends jump in, look around, laugh and jump back out. That's happening a lot less now that we know where people are. Friends still like to jump into Hidden Cave and Forbidden Crypt though. LOL. PL players are great fun.

Dragondaisy
01-30-2011, 03:44 AM
I'm still kind of a noob (lvl 21 int mage) but in my even more noobish days...

When I was like lvl 8 somebody asked me to heal them. I thought I could only heal my self (and only higher leveled people could heal other people) and told them "Srry I can only resurrect". Then (s)he said "oh". lol

I thought that the "Trash, common, uncommon, rare, etc." color coded items were the actual colors of the items (and not the name color) until I got a legendary staff from a quest. And I just figured that out earlier.

I thought that the number of quests completed on top of the towne map represented the maximum number of people per towne.

I tried for several minutes in Forest Haven trying to open treasure chests near Ellie then gave up

I thought if you update your strength stats you inflict more damage. That screwed up my mage because my str was a bit higher then my dex and I was like "screw intelligence, what's it supposed to do anyways?" At lvl 17 or so, I spent two platinum to rearrange my stats...

Bears annoyed me until lvl 15 for some reason I can't remember

I didn't get the first quest in Belfort done for a while because I couldn't find the magic portal

I gave 200 gold to a poorer noob when I was lvl 10. I realized that I shouldn't have after taking long to get more gold. I needed my potions.

I didn't know what ping was at lvl 14 so I went on my other character account lvl 6 to ask in towne what it was so I don't get as embarrassed as much.

When I first went into towne, I was scared that the lvl 50s would beat me up

I run into a crowd of zombies solo, then ran around in circles and blasted them. I thought I would gain more xp that way.

After speaking to Ethan (the human guy who said it's all about combining all three skills together) I kept my strength, dexterity, and intelligence almost equal until I started dying a lot.

I thought that when you beat enemies, you're supposed to pick up items on the floor after they die. Same goes with opening gold chests

recklessfa
01-30-2011, 05:19 AM
Took me three days and countless deaths to unlock ao3 map3...
Keeper was really mean and defeating him with a team of lvl 47/49 sure was a challenge. Players would leave after 10 instant deaths, lvl50 wouldn't bother or die trying hurting their pride along the way and leaving shortly.
The glitch strategy was working for few minutes and keeper would get bored of us and kill us all in 1 second...
Really depressing time when those yellow aliens were killing us on sight...

Then came Typhee on a mission, brought his bear Bakam, and explained, potted many time, fought with us and managed to help us kill him in like 20 minutes...
Seems lame today but the keeper sure laughed at our gear back then.
Reaching 50, I tried to pay back, helping players dealing with the keeper. Lots of gold and time wasted there. Last time I did it before the combat rebalance, it took the team I was helping half an hour to kill him. He was dodging most of the time and birds, bears were achieving 8-10 hits when his shield was down...
However ridiculously strong he was for regular players back then, it sure was a stressful challenge. Too bad the loot wasn't rewarding teamwork, time and efforts.

My mentor would be Gunderak, joining a random group in dark forest I was in with his
Lvl50 enchantress, blasting everything away, giving me hints, hundreds of Heath pots since I thought we couldn't hold more than 25.
He barely plays anymore, but helped me with advices, giving me items I had no idea existed because I wouldn't ask any traders in town what they had for me, too afraid being ripped off.

Thank for the thread, allowing me to wave at gunderak and typhee, and reminding me I should pick a clueless low level player, somehow serious about playing the game, and give back.

Hekpoc
01-30-2011, 05:48 AM
My noob story: I just reached level 18 and thought I was the shizzznit walking all tall and proud around forest haven and ursan wield when I saw a 50 selling 'pink' rare
Items. I HAD to have one at least one so what did I do? I payed 15k for a luminous harpoon of destiny. Oh man I would show it off whenever I could and try and rub it into peoples faces how awesome my item was. I still have it today.

As for mentors... I have to give big
Props to imperial he taught me about pvp and put up with my noobish questions for weeks. I didn't get balefort until I hit 50 and had no idea where or how people went to auction. So how did I solve that problem? Asked imperial for things.

Another big shout out would have to go to ladylove for helping me w 35 twinking. I remember hitting 35 w my alt and bought a Vyx helm voodoo robes dark wand and a voodoo doll. I looked cool but kept dying within 1 second considering I had 5 in mana shield an 1 in buffs. Still to this day she is the only one I haven't beat in a formal 10 win match. Big props

Gaddy
01-30-2011, 06:20 AM
No one mentored me.

I learned a lot from Yanis's posts on equipment, and Physiologic's posts on farming AOIII, for which I am very grateful, but besides that I learned very quickly in this game that there are very few people out there who either care, or help or do anything besides look out for themselves.

My guess is that this is mostly because of the limitations of the communications methods of the game, played via ppl's phones, with all the bad texting that implies... And also because there is no in game system (besides the limited "friending" that one can do) for social interactions outside of texting and inviting.

recklessfa
01-30-2011, 06:31 AM
gunnderak :D he quit now unfortunately becuz of "lack of content" apparently..but anyway, he gifted me 1k gold when i was a little noob and of course, thats a big amount than :D

He fell in Graal Online , I think.
I remember he spend weeks farming in order to get a gurgox hammer he ended up buying 400k, only to see everybody with one few weeks later, barely traded around 10k after an update.

Been trying to find someone to help out for the last half hour... Not easy as I thought. Most of the players I joined were suddenly asking for gold or to be power lvled...
Meh... I'll find one.

Phaded
01-30-2011, 08:26 AM
Most old players in this game are dbags, so I learned the game and leveled by myself. Divine hooked me up with a few pinks at lvl 30, so outside Divine....

powerandintent
01-31-2011, 07:59 PM
No one mentored me.
Me either. I just kind of lurked on the forums here until I got my first character up to 50. I never joined or posted because everyone on here seemed to have been here for a LONG time, and never made any real in-game friends since chatting in dungeons in almost impossible. Now I just spend all my time leveling my 3 alts and adding a lot of newbies and helping them out.

Weak_Sauce
02-03-2011, 12:23 PM
When I started playing Pocket Legends I had never played a MMO style game. I knew absolutely nothing and although I had some people step up and mentor me along the way I learned by playing each level over and over and trying out my skills to learn what they do and how they effect others in my game. I didn't even purchase AO2-3 until I was at level 47 and I wouldn't have had it any other way. I learned each level inside and out and made all of my friends by leveling up with them. Any advice I received from levels above me I took and utilized although I did find that asking questions along the way didn't get me much except ridicule.

When I created my second character I power leveled with friends and, although it was quick, the initial exploration of the levels, multiple tries to beat bosses and learned teamwork is the best part of it all!

Granted even though I leveled up the proper way I still didn't know a lot of things by the time I got to 50. So take the time to explain things to those who are less experienced than you, they may really need the information but were too embarrassed to ask. Now I'm glad to help out any new player that takes the time to talk to me, ask (good) questions, and anyone who really wants to enjoy the game and all it has to offer.

mycroftxxx
02-03-2011, 01:03 PM
I definitely had no mentor. My experience consisted of a lot of “HTF did they do that??” moments, followed by a lot of experimentation to figure it out. How to initiate or accept a trade session, where the consignment shop is, item rarity and value, combos, how to open the cells in Captive Audience without pulling… none of these things were even close to obvious. Also, at least when I downloaded the app from the Android Market, there was nothing linking to the forum.