PDA

View Full Version : Twink needs math help.... Please!

TwinkTastical
01-30-2011, 02:41 PM
http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab330/instinctiveko/2d6d08d0.png

My teacher wants me to find out this thing.

How was the opening space for the basketball going in, calculated.

Like, what process was used to find the opening.

icantgetkills
01-30-2011, 03:05 PM
what year are you in? and seems like a hard question do you do advanced maths?

Draq
01-30-2011, 03:06 PM
Is there another part in the problem that says how high the pole on the left is?

TwinkTastical
01-30-2011, 03:12 PM
Is there another part in the problem that says how high the pole on the left is?

Its about the forumula used to find the opening for the ball to go in, the pole height is irrelevent, although basketball hoops tend to be 10 feet tall.

Draq
01-30-2011, 03:22 PM
Well i just wanted to know how tall the pole was. I dont have math class second semester

Physiologic
01-30-2011, 03:32 PM
Not understanding what you're asking for.

When the basketball goes in at 30 degrees, from the basketball's point of reference there is only a 9 inch diameter in the ring, which is a perfect fit for a men's regulation size basketball of 9 inches in diameter.

When the basketball goes in at 90 degrees, from the basketball's point of reference the diameter of the ring is 18 inches, much larger than the basketball's diameter. But this 18 inches is needed because at a 30 degree angle from which some basketballs are shot at, it needs to go in.

TwinkTastical
01-30-2011, 03:48 PM
Not understanding what you're asking for.

When the basketball goes in at 30 degrees, from the basketball's point of reference there is only a 9 inch diameter in the ring, which is a perfect fit for a men's regulation size basketball of 9 inches in diameter.

When the basketball goes in at 90 degrees, from the basketball's point of reference the diameter of the ring is 18 inches, much larger than the basketball's diameter. But this 18 inches is needed because at a 30 degree angle from which some basketballs are shot at, it needs to go in.

Exactly, but im supposed to figure out how the people who made the chart figured it out.

Militaryman
01-30-2011, 04:05 PM
Aim a camera at the hoop from those angles, pull it up on your computer, blow it up to 100%, then use a ruler. Easy.

Cabero
01-30-2011, 04:08 PM
All I know is I been out of school for 20 yrs now and it makes my brain hurt to even try to figure out what you guys are talking about :o

Kossi
01-30-2011, 04:31 PM
all i know is, is that the world will end in 2 years

Physiologic
01-30-2011, 04:36 PM
Here's what you do.

Put a large piece of paper on a table and hold a ruler up top near it so it's perpendicular to the table.

Put yourself at the edge of the table and position yourself so you have a 30 degree angle from your field of vision to the table.

Trace a line in that position from the bottom of the ruler to 9 inches.

Now get up from that position and look how long your line is (should be 18 inches if you're looking directly above it, or 90 degrees).

Cheers!

TwinkTastical
01-30-2011, 05:21 PM
Here's what you do.

Put a large piece of paper on a table and hold a ruler up top near it so it's perpendicular to the table.

Put yourself at the edge of the table and position yourself so you have a 30 degree angle from your field of vision to the table.

Trace a line in that position from the bottom of the ruler to 9 inches.

Now get up from that position and look how long your line is (should be 18 inches if you're looking directly above it, or 90 degrees).

Cheers!

Thx a ton!!

Physiologic
01-30-2011, 05:22 PM
Thx a ton!!

Np! Let me know if that's correct (I'm pretty sure it is).