PDA

View Full Version : Does STG plan to use Apple's Metal API?

Zeus
10-05-2014, 01:18 PM
Hello!

I was wondering if STG plan to use Apple's new Metal API for their upcoming game & AL? If so, that would be wicked cool!

Thoughts, opinions?

Schnitzel
10-05-2014, 01:28 PM
What metal API?

Do you mean Swift?

JaytB
10-05-2014, 01:44 PM
I'm playing Modern Combat 5 for a bit lately and boy does it look good using metal. So much more detail as compared to before iOS8/Metal.

That said, imagine the particle effects possible if AL would support Metal. Especially given how light the rest of the engine is compared to what's graphically possible these days.

Spicing up those graphics would definitely be something that could get me interested again!

JaytB
10-05-2014, 01:52 PM
What metal API?

Do you mean Swift?

Metal and Swift are 2 different things.

Metal is essentially a replacement for OpenGL 3.x and allows for much less CPU overhead. It allows programmers to code closer to 'the metal' and so allowing them to get more out of the GPU's than was previously possible.

The current few games that support metal look very promising for such an early state. A ton more detail is generally added, making a serious difference in overall look.

Zeus
10-05-2014, 02:16 PM
Exactly, Jay!

Modern Combat 5 is probably the best looking game I have seen on a mobile platform. The details that the Metal API allows is truly incredible!

I hope STG is willing to harness it.

Itoopeo
10-05-2014, 02:35 PM
Hello!

I was wondering if STG plan to use Apple's new Metal API for their upcoming game & AL? If so, that would be wicked cool!

Thoughts, opinions?

Game uses Spacetime engne, which is already very efficient. It runs fine even on very low end devices like iPad1 and Samsung Galaxy S so adding better graphics would need complete rework of whole game. So I dont think it will happen in near future.