PDA

View Full Version : Constant spamming

Kopio1972
01-31-2011, 07:45 AM
Hello devs,

Probably my only gripe for this game is the spammers that sit in town and try to sell their stuff. It drives me nuts! You need to figure out some way to minimize this annoyance. A great way would be to simply disable the preset speech blurbs when you are in town. I'm sure there has to be a way to do this so it's not like walking into a fair with all the carnies trying to hawk their wares!

Thanks,

-Matt

Riccits
01-31-2011, 07:50 AM
before 1.5 it was the only possibility to sell items... and i find it good that is still possible bcz u can buy stuff much cheaper then in shop..
and i cant sell all my stuff only in shop...
in town spamming sell/buy for me is very normal....

Moogerfooger
01-31-2011, 07:54 AM
You can always just find the person spamming, and hit the ignore button :p

Ellyidol
01-31-2011, 07:58 AM
Yup, ignore. I'm not sure if it removes their normal chat too, but definitely works for PMs.

Moogerfooger
01-31-2011, 08:01 AM
Yup, ignore. I'm not sure if it removes their normal chat too, but definitely works for PMs.

Yes, kills their regular chat as well.

Ellyidol
01-31-2011, 08:03 AM
Yes, kills their regular chat as well.

Ah, I see. Definitely ignore then :P

Arterra
01-31-2011, 08:26 AM
Then, if they turn out to be regular people looking for a quick buck to get an item, it could get awkward.

Riccits
01-31-2011, 08:30 AM
but may one day someone spam "S> lvl 32 xbow 10k" then u will regret that LOOOL!

Arterra
01-31-2011, 08:48 AM
but may one day someone spam "S> lvl 32 xbow 10k" then u will regret that LOOOL!

Or not, you will have no idea xD

StompArtist
01-31-2011, 09:04 AM
I am thinking that if someone sends the same chat message more than 3 times a minute they should get a 5 min no posting restriction.

Kujen
01-31-2011, 09:16 AM
I am thinking that if someone sends the same chat message more than 3 times a minute they should get a 5 min no posting restriction.

I posted some suggestions to stop spamming, for example make it where the system simply tells them they cannot post the same message multiple times during a defined period of time. And people jumped down my throat saying that my suggestion would be a waste of the developers' time.

If anyone would bother to read the Terms of Service, spamming is listed in there. It's against the ToS to spam the same message over and over. It should -not- be ok.

Everyone says use ignore, well if I put everyone who spams their items on ignore I would have hundreds of people on it. I use my ignore list exclusively for people who try to scam me and people who are rude to me, so that I will remember their names and chose to never play in a game with them.

Riccits
01-31-2011, 09:25 AM

i like, i like!

i would lock it the 2nd time in a minute. :)

StompArtist
01-31-2011, 10:21 AM
I posted some suggestions to stop spamming, for example make it where the system simply tells them they cannot post the same message multiple times during a defined period of time. And people jumped down my throat saying that my suggestion would be a waste of the developers' time.

Making the game more enjoyable to non spammers is hardly a waste of time...

Lesrider
01-31-2011, 10:25 AM
Eh, doesn't bother me. I don't pay attention to the chat unless I'm talking to a friend. Which is more often through pms anyway.
I dunno what you guys do in town that the selling bothers you so much....

StompArtist
01-31-2011, 10:28 AM
Eh, doesn't bother me. I don't pay attention to the chat unless I'm talking to a friend. Which is more often through pms anyway.
I dunno what you guys do in town that the selling bothers you so much....

Selling doesn't bother me much. It's the "S>Void armor" repeated non stop while I am trying to read something that is driving me insane. For example some low level player was asking people in general a question about where to do a quest and I wanted to help a bit but could never do it because he fell off the chat box a victim of about 20 "S>Void armor" sent non stop. Ridiculous.

Riccits
01-31-2011, 10:37 AM
Selling doesn't bother me much. It's the "S>Void armor" repeated non stop while I am trying to read something that is driving me insane. For example some low level player was asking people in general a question about where to do a quest and I wanted to help a bit but could never do it because he fell off the chat box a victim of about 20 "S>Void armor" sent non stop. Ridiculous.

yep true... shoud be blocked...
but iam afraid ppl will do a workaround like this:
S>Void armor1
S>Void armor2
S>Void armor3
S>Void armor4

then begins to be complicated to block...

Lesrider
01-31-2011, 10:39 AM

True those can be annoying, but I just add to ignore list if they're really getting in my way. I've no qualms about having a long ignore list -- there are enough players these days that I won't miss some annoying ones.

Kujen
01-31-2011, 10:46 AM
Again, spamming is against ToS and should be discouraged. If the people doing it knew it was actually against ToS, then they might not be doing it. I sometimes wonder if it's reportable, but I usually save that for people cursing up a storm or using hateful speech.

I just think it would be nice to have some automatic system, to discourage it in the first place.

StompArtist
01-31-2011, 10:47 AM
yep true... shoud be blocked...
but iam afraid ppl will do a workaround like this:
S>Void armor1
S>Void armor2
S>Void armor3
S>Void armor4

then begins to be complicated to block...

Would still slow them down a bit :D

Royce
01-31-2011, 11:23 AM

You know you can scroll back through chat history and see stuff that has gone off the top of the visible chat box right? Honestly I don't think this is a big deal since you can simply ignore these people, but I'd be all for some kind of a timeout on quickchats in town if they are overused.

StompArtist
01-31-2011, 11:35 AM
You know you can scroll back through chat history and see stuff that has gone off the top of the visible chat box right? Honestly I don't think this is a big deal since you can simply ignore these people, but I'd be all for some kind of a timeout on quickchats in town if they are overused.

All I was trying to illustrate is that the abuse of the chat spamming make people reach a point where they simply ignore the chat box and miss out on opportunities to help others and/or exchange about the game... (mind you there is less spamming in forest haven but the exchanges I have seen over there scare me.)

Norbert
01-31-2011, 11:39 AM
I usually type 'spam spam spam spam' and it seems to quiet them down for a bit. I don't quite understand why they do it. After their first message scrolls off the chat window, typing again makes sense. But just over and over again? idk, mystifies me.

StompArtist
01-31-2011, 11:41 AM
I usually type 'spam spam spam spam' and it seems to quiet them down for a bit. I don't quite understand why they do it. After their first message scrolls off the chat window, typing again makes sense. But just over and over again? idk, mystifies me.

PL version of an infomercial. :D

KaotiicxDream
01-31-2011, 03:29 PM
The smart thing with ignore is that u can unignore again ;)

Lance
02-01-2011, 02:01 PM
I agree that the true spammers, sending the same message 5+ times in a row, 20-30x per min are beyond annoying and abusive. We probably SHOULD report them, but I usually ignore.

When they are particularly obnoxious, I will counter-post "IGNORE = Name" a couple times.

Also, it would make sense to have a barter-town area JUST for trading, or in balefort, make it so that posts made in the trading room stay in the trading room only (probably harder for the devs.) Heck, in a barter-town setup, I would even suggest enabling a "repeat" button for messages, that would auto repeat every 10-15 seconds.

(After all, the reason for all the hawking is that the current consignment store isn't adequately meeting the community's needs. Slots are far too expensive. 1P/slot, and 3P for five would also move a lot of this into the store.)

(note: regardless, 5 posts in one sec should STILL be reportable, and we can only blame ourselves if we don't.)

Phoenixking
02-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Wait whats an xbow?

superglut2
02-02-2011, 02:48 PM
, shop is too expensive slotwise, AND we only rly have 1 town to hang out, we need a town for lvl 50s only with no spamming allowed. Then everyone would be happy

bladesword
02-03-2011, 08:57 PM
before 1.5 it was the only possibility to sell items... and i find it good that is still possible bcz u can buy stuff much cheaper then in shop..
and i cant sell all my stuff only in shop...
in town spamming sell/buy for me is very normal....

Ao1 Ao2 times i saw damn people selling in pvp "100 purples for 100k!"