PDA

View Full Version : Torch quest

Lesrider
01-31-2011, 10:34 AM
Since I can't play DD, I decided last night to complete some quests with my Mage. Did all the swamps quests, and gotta say, the torch one was pretty interesting. I propbably would have found it pretty hard to do as a lvl 35. Wearing the torch (0 weapon damage, lower spell damage) while killing crocs and lighting fuses was an interesting challenge. I did keep accidentally blowing up the lvl ~30 tho lol -- kept running to the barrel after I lit it.
So kudos devs, for a more unique/challenging quest than just killing/collecting things. I hope we can see more quests that require a bit of skill/focus.

Wouldn't mind seeing the torch come into play again in the sewers -- since it's a likely place to need one. Someone suggested that one team member needs to be holding a torch at all times -- maybe like pass the torch around. I dunno if that would be too complicated, but I think it would add some strategy to this game that is sorely needed!

Ptoast
01-31-2011, 10:53 AM
You didn't have to equip the torch to light a barrel. Just have to have one in your inventory.

Your torch idea in the sewers sounds interesting, though.

Lesrider
01-31-2011, 10:54 AM
You didn't have to equip the torch to light a barrel. Just have to have one in your inventory.

Your torch idea in the sewers sounds interesting, though.

But I tried that and it didn't work. Lol it was fun my way anyway -- they should fix it so you have to equip the torch. Makes sense, anyway.

Palyna
01-31-2011, 11:18 AM
lol yea its very challenging after you equip the torch cause the damage will be so little. Gotta lit up the barrels without alerting the crocs. Or I will kill the crocs first before I equip the torch.

Later I also discovered that I can lit the barrel without holding the torch haha.

Ptoast
01-31-2011, 11:23 AM
You had to tap on the barrel then select to light it on fire or leave it alone. I thought you had to equip it as well but I figured out after the quest that you didn't. You're right though, they should have made it so that the torch was equipped to light a barrel. The only problem with that is that it would be a pain to go into your inventory and change your gear each time. There should be a hot key to rotate through your equipment loadouts on the HUD. That would solve the problem.

Riccits
01-31-2011, 11:24 AM
lol yea its very challenging after you equip the torch cause the damage will be so little. Gotta lit up the barrels without alerting the crocs. Or I will kill the crocs first before I equip the torch.

Later I also discovered that I can lit the barrel without holding the torch haha.

yeah i did figure out very much later and only when i clicked in fail to a barrel... LOL

Lesrider
01-31-2011, 11:26 AM
You had to tap on the barrel then select to light it on fire or leave it alone. I thought you had to equip it as well but I figured out after the quest that you didn't. You're right though, they should have made it so that the torch was equipped to light a barrel. The only problem with that is that it would be a pain to go into your inventory and change your gear each time. There should be a hot key to rotate through your equipment loadouts on the HUD. That would solve the problem.

I just wore it the whole time anyway, since I'm a lvl 50 mage in shadow gear lol. I still did enough damage with my skills. But if they wanted to make it so you have to wear the torch (makes sense), they could give the torch a few damage points so it's not completely useless (and not quite as hard for the lvl-appropriate players). You should still be able to light those crocs on fire with it ;)

Royce
01-31-2011, 11:30 AM
Huh I didn't realize you could light them without equipping the torch either. I just made a torch loadout so I could quickly switch to it while doing that quest. It's really kinda dumb that you don have to equip it IMO.

Ptoast
01-31-2011, 11:42 AM
Huh I didn't realize you could light them without equipping the torch either. I just made a torch loadout so I could quickly switch to it while doing that quest. It's really kinda dumb that you don have to equip it IMO.

Wow, I feel kind of special knowing something that Royce doesn't.

Lesrider
01-31-2011, 11:49 AM

I agree. The reason I created this thread in the first place was because I liked having to equip the torch. Made it more challenging. But if it just needsto be in your bag, well, they might as well not even bother with that part of it -- just make it like any other quest.
Another idea would be that for each barrel you need to find a new torch, bc lighting the barrel uses up one.

Man, guess I got excited about this prematurely. The game is still not utilizing the tools it could.

Fyrce
01-31-2011, 03:11 PM
LOLOLOLOL.

You guys are sooo cute.

I've told quite a few people they did not have to equip the torch. I had no clue that wasn't obvious. LOL.

Guess I found out because friend and I spent a bunch of time trying to figure out how to attack the barrels :P Figured out you couldn't, though you could target them. LOLOLOLOLOLOL. Figured out to tap the side with the spout and then light them. Didn't even realize needed torch in inventory till I liquidated all my torches. LOL. Thought all barrels had "Light it" option until that happened. LOL. Finally noticed all the torches dropping.

Then we spent some time blowing lizzies up and each other. LOLOLOL. Was lots of fun.

KaotiicxDream
01-31-2011, 03:17 PM
U dont need to have the torch equipped... u can just have ur main weapon and when u come to a barrel press the barrel and choose the option lit the barrel or something... u still have ur weapon on ...

Lesrider
01-31-2011, 03:20 PM
Yeah it's not as cool as I first thought. Actually quite boring.

HorizonSon
03-21-2011, 10:26 AM
Torches should have a 3~4m range; okay base dmg with "damage over time" and "splash damage"... The trick would be; torch has to be equipped to lite the barrels AND the torch only lasts so long, before burning out, when equipped... Fortunately; if you have another torch in your inventory, it will auto-equip when the prior burns out... The torch would start to smoke as it neared the end of it's raging fiery ;-)

Wud ya think? ;-P