PDA

View Full Version : Wifi = Lag, 3g = No Lag

bjordan
01-31-2011, 02:16 PM
Over the past week I've noticed that if I'm on Wifi I get a ton of lag (3k+ ping, unplayable). If I switch to 3g My lag isn't nearly as bad (200 to 400 ping).

I've noticed this on 3 different wifi networks so it's not just that one is having issues. All 3 networks are fast (did speed test).

Lately I've just been playing on 3g, but it absolutely kills my battery.

Not sure if this is the right forum, but I'm on an Android phone (Evo, custom ROM) so I thought I'd start here. Almost nothing has changed on my phone (setting wise) for a long time. This just all the sudden started in the past week.

Anyone else get this issue or have any insights?

StompArtist
01-31-2011, 02:19 PM
Over the past week I've noticed that if I'm on Wifi I get a ton of lag (3k+ ping, unplayable). If I switch to 3g My lag isn't nearly as bad (200 to 400 ping).

I've noticed this on 3 different wifi networks so it's not just that one is having issues. All 3 networks are fast (did speed test).

Lately I've just been playing on 3g, but it absolutely kills my battery.

Not sure if this is the right forum, but I'm on an Android phone (Evo, custom ROM) so I thought I'd start here. Almost nothing has changed on my phone (setting wise) for a long time. This just all the sudden started in the past week.

Anyone else get this issue or have any insights?

What kind of Wifi on your phone? (a, n ,g)

bjordan
01-31-2011, 03:07 PM
What kind of Wifi on your phone? (a, n ,g)

The routers it's connecting to are G (and phone supports G) so it's 802.11g

mystaffishard
01-31-2011, 09:04 PM
if im not mistaken, having wifi on actually kills your batter faster than just using 3g.

Phoenixking
01-31-2011, 09:09 PM
If im not mistaken, i think im mistaken for not being mistaken wich makes mistaken

Sanatorium
01-31-2011, 09:46 PM
It's probably your internet and not Wi-Fi overall... try on another connection not close to yours...

bpatterson007
01-31-2011, 09:47 PM
If it's lag spikes I would certainly blame it on push notifications over WiFi as opposed to 3G. If it is consistent lag...then I have no clue!

Lysdexic
01-31-2011, 09:56 PM
After learning a very fair share about Evo's...

1. Do Not Use 3g For PL! Re-read the 3g contract. 3g is not unlimited on Sprint and you will get throttled and most likely permanently.

2. State Rom and kernel. Go to geekfor.me for newest radios.

3. What are your radios, pri, prl versions?

4. Remove ad-free android, it modifies your hosts file and not very well.

5. Do you have any wifi tether software? If so, what ver and busybox version as well.

That's a good start.

Lysdexic
01-31-2011, 09:59 PM
Forgot to mention... Software and firmware versions are VERY important... They added Wireless-N support with one update.

bjordan
02-01-2011, 10:19 AM
if im not mistaken, having wifi on actually kills your batter faster than just using 3g.

Must be mistaken because 3g definitely drains battery way faster then wifi.

After learning a very fair share about Evo's...

1. Do Not Use 3g For PL! Re-read the 3g contract. 3g is not unlimited on Sprint and you will get throttled and most likely permanently.

2. State Rom and kernel. Go to geekfor.me for newest radios.

3. What are your radios, pri, prl versions?

4. Remove ad-free android, it modifies your hosts file and not very well.

5. Do you have any wifi tether software? If so, what ver and busybox version as well.

That's a good start.

Thanks for the info. I'll check into this.

romgar1
02-01-2011, 11:44 AM
I love my droid 2 global :D

krisis92
02-01-2011, 11:46 AM
I've been having this issue with my 4g connection lately... no clue why. The connections perfect.

bjordan
02-01-2011, 11:52 AM
I've been having this issue with my 4g connection lately... no clue why. The connections perfect.

With 4g I wonder if it's using too much processing power so the actual game lags when trying to run. I've noticed 4g (especially when I turn it up) uses some CPU. I'm wondering if it's a similar issue with WiFi for me (although I doubt it).

I'm going to update my radio's soon and see if that helps.

Lysdexic
02-01-2011, 01:53 PM
I use 4G without no issues. Get SetCPU and change your profile to Performance. This allows yours CPU to not drop to idle and kick back up constantly. It's well worth the investment.

Check your WiMAX radios and PRI as well for this one.

Go to System Updates in Settings and update your profile and PRL. Then, use ClockworkMod's ROM Manager... they have a feature for fixing permissions (somewhere in settings). Let that run and reboot.

Here's my versions:
Baseband - 2.15.00.11.19
PRI - 1.90_003
PRL - 60674

Here's a link for ALL the most recent updated radio's, etc: http://geekfor.me/evo/radio/freshevo-35-radiowimaxprinv/

Download WiMAX RSA Checker (just search for joeykrim in the Market, you'll find it). This will fix an issue with custom ROMs.

Last, check out this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=922978 for 3G performance (this one seriously works).

Lysdexic
02-01-2011, 02:42 PM
Bah, I just threw an entire post on the Evo tweaks... check the link in my signature.

Ellyidol
02-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Been having the same problem lately, and Pharcyde seems to as well.

Wifi speed is good (Sydney) : 30 ms, 9mbps DL, 1mbps upload (Speedtest).

I usually only got 300-500 ping constantly before, but I've been spiking from 300 to as much as 20k, then back again, then up again, constantly.

3G seems more stable when there's good reception.