PDA

View Full Version : Leaderboard for Twinks

Physiologic
02-01-2011, 02:44 PM
Twinking has been a very popular idea across many PvP MMOs, including Pocket Legends. Twinking helps maintain user interest in PvP, as low-level fighting involves a certain amount of strategy and planning, even moreso than lv 50s fighting each other. In addition, twink characters help keep prices of low-leveled items up, placing these items back in the economic cycle.

With a twink leaderboard of popular twink levels (lv 12, lv 25, lv 38, or whatever), players will be encouraged to continue PvPing on their twinks for glory.

BeardedBear
02-01-2011, 03:00 PM
Not to shoot you down, but all leader boards are fail. It's only a way for people to exploit and boost to make them appear better than they are.

icantgetkills
02-01-2011, 03:03 PM
Not to shoot you down, but all leader boards are fail. It's only a way for people to exploit and boost to make them appear better than they are.

+1
/characters

Physiologic
02-01-2011, 03:07 PM

Dude, leaving matches grant you a death now. The pvp leaderboards of now are exploited.

StompArtist
02-01-2011, 03:10 PM
Doesn't prevent kill boosting.

Physiologic
02-01-2011, 03:23 PM
There will always be ways to Get around boosting :) implementing a limit to how many times you can kill a character is one way to reduce it.

Rebel
02-01-2011, 04:14 PM
I'd rather there just be some type of PvP rewards depending on what level you were. Would be a much better incentive.

MoarPewPew
02-02-2011, 08:15 AM
I would love this idea if the game worked around level brackets.

You need the level groups to be divided for this to properly work.

Like 15-19 could be a level group. That would establish a "twink" (the twink would be level 19)

I like this idea but with out an established bracket of levels I don't know how STS would put in a leaderboard for it.

Conradin
02-02-2011, 09:25 AM
Yea 10 lvleifference makes no sense. How can a lvl 10 beat a lvl 20. I think we need 1-5 bracket. 6-10, 11-15, 6-20 brackets etc. Be alot fairer.

BeardedBear
02-02-2011, 11:15 AM
Dude, leaving matches grant you a death now. The pvp leaderboards of now are exploited.

While you are right, what is to stop someone from running around (avoiding damage and combat) for ten seconds, and leaving? I can't be the only person who has witnessed that.

Edit: Just a side note. Was playing lvl 20 pvp and a lvl 21 comes in with full sniper gear. He didn't want to duel me, when he had the clear advantage. I asked why, to which he responded "I don't want to risk ruining my KDR". AKA he is a nub killer/booster WITH the "10 second rule" effect. People will always find a way to bend the rules.

Beermon
02-02-2011, 12:04 PM
Yea 10 lvleifference makes no sense. How can a lvl 10 beat a lvl 20. I think we need 1-5 bracket. 6-10, 11-15, 6-20 brackets etc. Be alot fairer.

6-20 brackets etc. Be alot fairer.

You may wish to edit this.

StompArtist
02-02-2011, 12:12 PM
While you are right, what is to stop someone from running around (avoiding damage and combat) for ten seconds, and leaving? I can't be the only person who has witnessed that.

Edit: Just a side note. Was playing lvl 20 pvp and a lvl 21 comes in with full sniper gear. He didn't want to duel me, when he had the clear advantage. I asked why, to which he responded "I don't want to risk ruining my KDR". AKA he is a nub killer/booster WITH the "10 second rule" effect. People will always find a way to bend the rules.

KDR is meaningless because of the behavior of people who are worried about their KDS. LOL

Ladylove
02-02-2011, 01:11 PM
I didn't boost :(

BeardedBear
02-02-2011, 01:44 PM
KDR is meaningless because of the behavior of people who are worried about their KDS. LOL

My point EXACTLY. :)

StompArtist
02-02-2011, 01:47 PM
I didn't boost :(

Never said you did. It was just a general comment...

asommers
02-02-2011, 01:55 PM
It wouldn't be too difficult to create leaderboards per level as well. Navigation wouldn't be fun (55 levels * 3 classes). Maybe we could talk about which levels or level ranges you'd want to see.

-ALS

MoarPewPew
02-02-2011, 02:23 PM
It wouldn't be too difficult to create leaderboards per level as well. Navigation wouldn't be fun (55 levels * 3 classes). Maybe we could talk about which levels or level ranges you'd want to see.

-ALS

Yeah I agree. I would make level brackets like I said earlier.

Level brakets Woot!!!

This would create More twinks and have more meaning to twink pvp. :)

Ladylove
02-02-2011, 02:24 PM
Or maybe just remove the pointless leader boards/KDRs all together to completely eradicate the problem.

I'm not opposed to this... it WOULD fix the egos of some people... sort of...

Physiologic
02-02-2011, 02:26 PM
Or maybe just remove the pointless leader boards/KDRs all together to completely eradicate the problem.

Instead of saying ____ or ____ is a problem and we should just do away with it, how about some constructive feedback, or what you think would solve this problem? It's not like this is a problem with no solution

Ladylove
02-02-2011, 02:28 PM
Instead of saying ____ or ____ is a problem and we should just do away with it, how about some constructive feedback, or what you think would solve this problem? It's not like this is a problem with no solution

I would start with removing deaths and KDR... people get made fun of for deaths sometimes... a bit cruel :/

Physiologic
02-02-2011, 03:12 PM
Erm, removing it IS a solution.

No, your "solution" ranks just the same as "let's just sweep it under a rug and forget about it," which developers of any sort of merchandise do as a last resort when all other solutions fail.

Anyway, here's a quick run-through of the PvP subforums and my thoughts.

1. Create leaderboards for level ranges of 10-15, 20-25, 30-35, 40-45, 50-55. Even though popular PvP twink matches are limited to single digit levels as opposed to a level range (e.g. level 35 twink contest or level 10 twink contest), a level range can be created to prevent market extreme fluctuations in twink items.

2. Add character's level in each level range's leaderboards. To emphasize that even a lv 30 twink can beat lv 34-35s.

3. The issue with "kill boosting." This is the single biggest deterrent in any type of leaderboards at the moment as everyone is aware. Several people already proposed ideas on how to hamper boosting. The following ideas can be used:

- Eliminate locked and password-protected PvP games. Prevents a user with two devices to kill the same character over and over again in a locked game (i.e. boosting).
- Remove K:D ratios. Deters certain players to want to exploit boosting.
- Add a limit as to how many times X character can kill Y character in a day. Prevents players that know each other to exploit boosting. I'm not sure how coding will work for this or if this is feasible.

kobebean
02-02-2011, 04:13 PM
I think wiping a clean slate and then getting rid of kill counts in locked games would be the best...although people like lone would probably sue me for suggesting erasing their 40k+ kills..unless there's some crazy way for the program to recognize boosters? I had a 10 to 1 KD ratio on Deron before, but I didn't boost. It was just a smaller sample size (100 kills, 10 deaths).

kobebean
02-02-2011, 04:15 PM
Another thought is that you could give everyone a pvp kd ratio rank...which would be something you could be proud of, since the number of people who boost will be small...but a good kd ratio would still show up as a nice rank....also bad pvpers wouldn't quite know how many people are lower than them...so it wouldn't be detrimental..

drewcapu
02-02-2011, 04:37 PM
I still think some kind of ranking system is in order.
Killing someone who is 100-0 is a lot better than killing someone who is 0-100, or even 0-0 for that matter.
Take chess rankings as a starting point and adjust for needs of PL
?

Let KDR still show for pure tenacity, but make rankings the true "leaders".

Hekpoc
02-03-2011, 01:43 AM
I think the Kills Deaths should still show but the PVP K/D ratio is mostly a joke now. I would LOVE a leader board for a particular level. Just get rid of the K/D ratio... I know some of the people on them... and they definately boosted.