PDA

View Full Version : Unofficial Pocket Legends Ventrilo Server

Physiologic
02-01-2011, 10:35 PM
Welcome to the Ventrilo thread! For those who don't know, Ventrilo is a chatroom that allows you to talk to people using a mic on your computer. That way, you can interact with other PL players by directly speaking to them!

Because this is NOT related to Spacetime Studios or the developers of Pocket Legends in any manner, I will have to set stricter rules to prevent this thread and my server from being shut down. If the server turns out to be a total flop, i.e. too much drama, cursing, flaming, etc. then I will shut it down permanently without warning.

Edit: I have removed the password requirement for now.

VENTRILO SERVER INFORMATION

Hostname or IP: delta.maxfrag.net
Port number: 3803

Current max slots: 25
Current server status: ONLINE

HOW TO LOG ON TO THIS VENTRILO SERVER

1. Go to http://www.ventrilo.com/download.php and download, install, and open the client.

2. First, you must create a User Name. Click on the arrow to the right of the User Name tab, select 'New', and create your User Name for the server. This will be the name that identifies you to other users in the server.

3. You need to create a nickname for my server. Click on the arrow to the right of the Server tab, select 'New', and type in PL or Pocket Legends or whatever you want to nickname the server for yourself.

4. In 'Host Name or IP', type: delta.maxfrag.net

5. In 'Port number', type: 3803

You should be logged in now!

HOW TO CHAT

1. Click the "Setup" key to the right.

2. Make sure 'Enable outgoing voice communications' is checked off.

3. I highly recommend checking off the 'Push To Talk Hotkey (PTT Mode)'. You can then set a hotkey to press and hold on to talk. If you don't want to use a key, then simply check it off and then Ventrilo will automatically detect your voice when you talk into the mic. Use the 'Silence time' and 'Sensitivity' function to adjust these settings.

4. Test out how you sound like in Ventrilo by pressing the 'Test' key at the bottom. Press and hold down your hotkey, talk into your mic, and let go of the hotkey.

5. To adjust your incoming and outgoing volume, you can use the Amplifiers 'Outbound' and 'Inbound' settings.

You can do some nifty things like show other people what you're listening to by right-clicking your name, selecting 'Integration', and then choosing what media player you're using on your computer. You can also put a comment next to your name by clicking 'Comment' to the right.

VENTRILO RULES

By logging onto this Ventrilo server, you shall abide by the following rules. The server will have ZERO tolerance to anyone who breaks these rules and you will be IP banned immediately. The password to the server will also be reset to those who decide to be smart and use proxies.

1. You are of at least thirteen (13) years of age. Just like the forums, COPPA guidelines (http://www.coppa.org/comply.htm) will apply in this Ventrilo server. This means absolutely no talking about age, collecting information about age, or even talking about internet memes about age.

2. Cursing, harassment, soliciting, and engaging in sexual conversations is prohibited. Even a hint at any of these things will result in an immediate IP ban.

3. Instigating or propagating drama will be strictly monitored, but will most likely result in an IP ban because I don't like drama.

4. Trolling, spamming or generally being annoying in the server will result in an immediate ban. Act how you would act when a dev is lurking the forums, looking for threads to close :)

5. Do NOT create other threads regarding Ventrilo matters. If you have any issues regarding Ventrilo, reply here. If it's regarding drama, PM me. Repeating offenses to this rule (i.e. repeatedly making threads about anything Ventrilo-related) will result in a permanent IP ban.

Ellyidol
02-01-2011, 10:46 PM
Sweet! I used to be on ventrillo a lot for other games, would be awesome for one here! :)

Gimme some access for private channels :P

CZYjoeDAVOLA
02-01-2011, 10:49 PM
NICE I really wanted this I had a server for WoW guild wars and warhammer online it's very useful don't worry about my post count I'm on the forums every day just don't comment very often

Cabero
02-01-2011, 10:50 PM
I definitely want to know the info! Props to you man. Also I would like to point out there is apps to use vetrilo on your phone atleast for Droids I don't know about iPhones.

Two Droid apps are Mangler and Ventriloid.

Militaryman
02-01-2011, 10:51 PM
This might be a good idea... I'll join...

Junside
02-01-2011, 10:53 PM
Man I hate vent. So many kids with high pitched voices.

ChadM
02-01-2011, 10:56 PM
Finally!

Thanks, man! It's a huge hassle trying to communicate with folk while playing, his will help many!

If you need some small cash donations to help cover hosting, PM me with some contact details.

drewcapu
02-01-2011, 10:56 PM
I'll give it a shot :)

Royce
02-01-2011, 10:59 PM
Sounds cool. Gotta figure out where I packed my headset away...

rku
02-01-2011, 11:12 PM
Sounds pretty cool. I'm kind of new to posting on the forums but I've been with the game since the start. I'd be down for a vent server

Conradin
02-02-2011, 12:01 AM
Sure man-'sign me up ;)

Physiologic
02-02-2011, 12:09 AM
Finally!

Thanks, man! It's a huge hassle trying to communicate with folk while playing, his will help many!

If you need some small cash donations to help cover hosting, PM me with some contact details.

Thanks, but gotta decline all donations as that would indicate that I am profiting off of these forums and would most likely get myself banned :)

Next step after the server is set up would be inviting the devs in for a chat!

DanielRH
02-02-2011, 12:30 AM
Great job, i would love to join!

Junside
02-02-2011, 12:33 AM
There is an app in the Android Market called Ventriloid if anyone is interested. Haven't tried it, but with 4 and half stars, I assume it's fairly good.

Physiologic
02-02-2011, 12:37 AM
Ventriloid works quite well, and my server will work with the Ventriloid client.

Sanatorium
02-02-2011, 12:43 AM
I've used vent for years leading me back to my professional gaming back in the day.
If you need any help setting it up, editing the codec, channels, ect... just tell me.
Also, I'll be glad to join, just PM me the password, thanks.
As for an app on the market for ventrilo, just go with Mangler, faster, less crashes, and way better quality.

mcyto
02-02-2011, 12:52 AM
sweet! sign me up! I guess it's a good thing I didn't delete it last week.

Echelong
02-02-2011, 07:39 AM
Nice Physiologic. This is a great idea for faster dungeon runs. Please add me.

ProSophist
02-02-2011, 10:52 AM
I think it is a bad idea to have a public vent for this game, granted how easy it is to share the password, easily filling the room with trolls like Forest Haven. I mean when I used to play WoW, vent was strictly restricted to guildies and EVEN random pubs/other guilds were able to get in from time to time.

Not trying to be Johnny Raincloud. Just giving my 2 cents.

mugen
02-02-2011, 11:00 AM
this sounds good add me as well thx

FluffNStuff
02-02-2011, 11:03 AM
First off, Awesome job, and thanks! for setting this kinda thing up. I am not very familiar with it, so is this something for while we are in games, or something for a 'forum chat'. Also, if it is in game, do you need to be by your pc, or can this be set up on a the iPhone/ iPad for background. And again, THANKS!

Kalielle
02-02-2011, 12:01 PM
This sounds great! I never used Ventrilo before but I heard of it and would be interested to try it out.

Phoenixking
02-02-2011, 12:18 PM
How do you go to another server?

Norbert
02-02-2011, 12:32 PM
I'd like to give it a try, especially with the upgrade, might help with new runs. Thanks for setting it up!

mycroftxxx
02-02-2011, 12:32 PM
Oh, sure, sign me up.

Physiologic
02-02-2011, 05:11 PM
The server is bought, I'm setting it up at the moment and making instructions on how to connect to it.

First off, Awesome job, and thanks! for setting this kinda thing up. I am not very familiar with it, so is this something for while we are in games, or something for a 'forum chat'. Also, if it is in game, do you need to be by your pc, or can this be set up on a the iPhone/ iPad for background. And again, THANKS!

I'm unsure as to how feasible it is to run Ventrilo and PL at the same time, testing this right now.

GongKilluminati
02-02-2011, 05:20 PM
great idea.
beats typing on my small *** ipod.
vent is sick
i use it for cs 1.6
Make like a lot of rooms so when people want to do a level togeether, they can communicate and not die and fail.

To other people that don't know what vent is: Ventrilo is sort of like MSN, skype, facebook chat... it includes voice, and a chat room, but you have to rent your own servers.

Snub
02-02-2011, 05:34 PM
im very interested in this... can i get in?

side note about your rules! Man this is way every game should be ruled, i can't stand some games chatting because some people really ruin it!

lol awesome:
"3. Instigating or propagating drama will be strictly monitored, but will most likely result in an IP ban because I don't like drama.

4. Trolling, spamming or generally being annoying in the server will result in an immediate ban. Act how you would act when a dev is lurking the forums, looking for threads to close"

Physiologic
02-02-2011, 06:42 PM
Pws are all distributed, server is online and operational!

Phoenixking
02-02-2011, 06:42 PM
What do i do? I cant chat with vouce!

Ellyidol
02-02-2011, 07:05 PM
Since I haven't really tried a limited server, what happens when its full?

I've been trying to connect and just get a Contacting server message on.

mugen
02-02-2011, 07:20 PM
same here, new to ventrilo any help?
btw thank you Physiologic

Junside
02-02-2011, 07:28 PM
I don't think it's connecting. Anyone able to get on? I tried from my phone and desktop.

Physiologic
02-02-2011, 07:28 PM
Hmm it was working perfectly fine before I went to make dinner. Looking into this

Junside
02-02-2011, 07:29 PM
Nevermind. I'm in.

Physiologic
02-02-2011, 07:37 PM
What do i do? I cant chat with vouce!

Are you having problems logging in?

Ellyidol
02-02-2011, 08:07 PM
Got in. Works well.

Hope to see more people on! (just me and Sanatorium in AFK) LOL

Ellyidol
02-05-2011, 02:31 AM
Where is everyone? Unless almost all of the users don't use their computers while in the forums.

I'm almost always on ventrilo chat when my computer's on :P

Militaryman
02-05-2011, 02:42 AM
I use my iPod...

Physiologic
02-05-2011, 03:24 AM
Where is everyone? Unless almost all of the users don't use their computers while in the forums.

I'm almost always on ventrilo chat when my computer's on :P

It's 2:30 am on the east coast in the states! I'm guessing you're in Australia?

Ellyidol
02-05-2011, 03:42 AM
Yes I am :) oh thats true though. My bad :p

anglfyr
02-05-2011, 05:00 AM
AH voice chat server. Cool!! But dont have a mic. :/
Why voice chat anyway? We have a chatbox already ingame..

Ellyidol
02-05-2011, 05:13 AM
I don't have one yet either, I'm just in chat room of ventrilo :)

Yeah, but it could be as big as a forum chatbox if more people join. Easier to access too, only if your playing by PC though. :)

anglfyr
02-05-2011, 05:20 AM
Okay, i will try to install it later. Almost 3 am here now =)

Ellyidol
02-05-2011, 05:26 AM
Alright, will try to be on :)

KingFu
02-05-2011, 05:35 AM
Do you need a headset? Or can I just talk to my computer screen and look like an idiot?

Edit

Angel u in Cali?

Ellyidol
02-05-2011, 06:02 AM
If there's a built in mic with your computer/laptop, it should be fine :)

You can adjust settings in the program anyway, volume boosters etc.

KingFu
02-05-2011, 06:10 AM
Kk I'll download it later:p

Edit:

Is there an app for it?

Ellyidol
02-05-2011, 06:13 AM
Android apparently, yeah. I haven't seen or used one though. iPhones, don't think so.

MoarPewPew
02-05-2011, 07:44 AM
Wow Gratz on the server. I have one question, is your server running the speex codex?

Thats the only way it's compatible on macs.

I might have to give it a try if y'all don't mind.

Ellyidol
02-05-2011, 07:45 AM
I'm not sure on that Moar, I'll try to check if I can see it from this side, Phys should know though.

Of course we don't mind! Right now we have.... 1 online user. Me. :(

MoarPewPew
02-05-2011, 08:12 AM
I'll know when I log on if is speex code enabled. :) I'm trying to set up my mic ATM. Hope to be on soon :)

hollen
02-05-2011, 10:15 AM
I cant believe you went and paid for hosting when I offered you free hosting. lol

Ellyidol
02-05-2011, 10:51 AM
I cant believe you went and paid for hosting when I offered you free hosting. lol

This is an unofficial vent server (unless devs take over or start a new one), so i dont think you can offer that. Unless your the ventrilo server itself. And with at least 2 posts.

hollen
02-05-2011, 11:52 AM
unofficial = not official so why not?

Also, my hosting would of been just like you having a host from your current host but.. FREE

oh yea, and a free custom subdomain for the ventrilo server and free 100 slots. =/

99.9% uptime, and fast support. I was really trying to hook you guys up with this. I guess I just dont see how you guys said no. It blew my mind lol.

Anyway, you will see me on the server from time to time.

Rebel
02-05-2011, 12:13 PM
I just joined up. Screen name is Rebel.

MissMage
02-05-2011, 10:58 PM
Yeh sounds like im talking to a bunch of girls :/ Cough Range Cough.

Zeus
02-05-2011, 11:00 PM
Yeh sounds like im talking to a bunch of girls :/ Cough Range Cough.

I don't sound like a girl! Although... I may type like a twink? As twinktastic for the definition of what a twink is :p

Rebel
02-05-2011, 11:00 PM
Yeh :/ Cough Range sounds like a bunch of girls

I was on earlier today, but no one else was. I'll most likely start it up tomorrow before the superbowl if anyone wants to chat.

Edit: I played with the quote. It was quite enjoyable actually. You will find that not all the words were used, but it is basically the same meaning.

MissMage
02-05-2011, 11:01 PM
Get on know im waiting!!!

anglfyr
02-05-2011, 11:02 PM
Do you need a headset? Or can I just talk to my computer screen and look like an idiot?

Edit

Angel u in Cali?

Yup. cali here =)

KingFu
02-05-2011, 11:09 PM
Yup. cali here =)

Nice:p I'm in so cal:) (OC)

Zeus
02-05-2011, 11:11 PM
Nice:p I'm in so cal:) (OC)
Are you guy's in ventro server? I can't figure out how to get voice chat working, and I followed the instructions? Want to teamviewer me and show me?

KingFu
02-05-2011, 11:14 PM
Are you guy's in ventro server? I can't figure out how to get voice chat working, and I followed the instructions? Want to teamviewer me and show me?

Lol, dude I haven't even downloaded it:p

TwinkTastical
02-05-2011, 11:15 PM
I think skype would be easier.

KingFu
02-05-2011, 11:18 PM
Isn't Skype ONLY 2 way though?

Zeus
02-05-2011, 11:18 PM
I think skype would be easier.

Yup, that's what I use currently :).

Necrobane
02-05-2011, 11:20 PM
No, you can do group convos on skype.

Ellyidol
02-05-2011, 11:28 PM
I'll try to be on as soon as I'm home :)

Skype is good but it takes up a lot of data vs vent I think. Speed as well.

mugen
02-07-2011, 02:16 PM
ill be on as soon as server comes up for 1.7. cant wait!

MoarPewPew
02-09-2011, 10:05 AM
No one is on it. And finally i fixed my PTT. lol

Also for those who have a mac, the ventrilo server is compatible. It is running the speex codex as I can see.

Junside
02-14-2011, 09:48 AM
Bump this, we need it. And I logged in a few days ago, it was empty.

BeardedBear
02-14-2011, 09:53 AM
Are you able to use a vent iphone app and play PL at the same time?

Junside
02-14-2011, 09:57 AM
Are you able to use a vent iphone app and play PL at the same time?

Android Market has a Ventrilo app, not sure about iphone/itouch. Why dont you search? :D

Wbto-Angeluscustos
02-14-2011, 10:01 AM
I just use skype with people while playing.. since 4.1 apple software has multi-tasking it works great.. :)

BeardedBear
02-14-2011, 10:10 AM
Android Market has a Ventrilo app, not sure about iphone/itouch. Why dont you search? :D

I did search it. All I can seem is old threads about people asking the devs to make a iOS version. Anyway, I have Skype so I'll give that a shot.

Junside
02-14-2011, 10:21 AM
Wow that's pretty lame. iPhone is supposed to have apps for everything. Millions of apps?

Zojak
02-20-2011, 11:46 PM
Does this vent not get used anymore? I jumped in hoping to meet some cool people to play PL with, and it was empty :(

Physiologic
02-20-2011, 11:52 PM
I see some people on around noontime EST when I'm on break at work but don't usually see anyone during nighttime. It'll continue to stay up though :)

Zojak
02-21-2011, 12:06 AM
Hmm i'll have to check it out around that time tomorrow then!!

dubvballer
02-21-2011, 02:05 PM
ha nice thats a good idea. I'll have to check that out later.

adwin
02-21-2011, 08:36 PM
Argh... The linux client is *still* under development.
O_o
Did I already mention... Argh?

Junside
03-14-2011, 10:16 PM
Hey Phys, did you shut down your server? Not to discourage, but I think a lot of us use Skype if anything.

Physiologic
03-14-2011, 10:24 PM
I set up the server for a month only, if people like to use it then I would've kept it on for longer :p I don't like Skype because it's very memory intensive (using 67k memory for me) versus Ventrilo, which uses 5k memory. They do the same thing too except Ventrilo is more public, whereas Skype requires you to know your friend's e-mail/phone/username to talk to.

Junside
03-14-2011, 10:31 PM
Ah, I understand.

In the case of mobile availability, Skype is available to both iPhone and Android so it isn't a faulty option. It's was a great idea. But not too many hardcore, tech-savvy people on here.

Tengotengo
03-15-2011, 02:23 AM
but...
this is a good idea. Maybe later PL updates, or the upcoming Blackstar may have it?

Ellyidol
03-15-2011, 02:58 AM
Curious Phys, how much did it cost to run the server? :)

Necrobane
03-15-2011, 03:04 AM
Is the server still up? I have vent and am happy to get on tonight for a bit. I really do think an ingame chat system would be fantastic though...perhaps with guilds?

Physiologic
03-15-2011, 03:45 AM
Curios Phys, how much did it cost to run the server? :)

It was only 7$ or so :p Chump change. If there's enough interest I can always bring it back up.

Ellyidol
03-15-2011, 03:49 AM
It was only 7$ or so :p Chump change. If there's enough interest I can always bring it back up.

Mmmm no no, was just curious if it was possible for STS to host an official ventrilo server if it didn't cost too much. :D

Physiologic
03-15-2011, 03:54 AM
Only problem is that the company would be liable for any personal damages sustained from direct voice-to-voice communications with a stranger. It's more personal since you're directly talking to someone instead of just putting it online (e.g. flaming someone on Vent is far more damaging than flaming someone on the forums) :p

And especially since many children <16 play this game, that's another problem they'd rather avoid altogether as well. Forest Haven's bad enough :(

Ellyidol
03-15-2011, 04:01 AM
Only problem is that the company would be liable for any personal damages sustained from direct voice-to-voice communications with a stranger. It's more personal since you're directly talking to someone instead of just putting it online (e.g. flaming someone on Vent is far more damaging than flaming someone on the forums) :p

And especially since many children <16 play this game, that's another problem they'd rather avoid altogether as well. Forest Haven's bad enough :(

Oh, didn't know that :) Understandable, thanks :P

Necrobane
03-15-2011, 04:03 AM
Also it costs for there to be more than something like 10 slots.

Physiologic
03-15-2011, 04:05 AM
Yeah, that's why I emphasized the unofficial part so that STS has absolutely no liability on my server :p Don't want to get them in trouble lol. And the company I used gave me 25 slots for 7 bucks/mo.

adwin
03-15-2011, 04:11 AM
Okay guys, here's some additional info.
I've found an app for those who use linux, but didn't test it yet.

http://www.mangler.org/

Physiologic
03-15-2011, 04:16 AM
Okay guys, here's some additional info.
I've found an app for those who use linux, but didn't test it yet.

http://www.mangler.org/

Gonna try this out - hopefully it will be as user-friendly as Vent is, thanks!

adwin
03-15-2011, 04:24 AM
Well, I've been running into some issues compiling some of the dependencies.

In any case, from what I could gather, ventrilo is just a mashed up voip server.
Have you thought about running an asterisk() instance? Or any other pure voip server for that matter?
This would enable you to get the maximum compatibility and ppl would be able to use their voip app instead of downloading and maintaining yet, another app.

Here's a list.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_SIP_software#SIP_servers

On a side note, you can always opt a server maintained by specialised voip/sip provider.

Physiologic
03-15-2011, 04:32 AM
I'd prefer to have a company set up the server for me. Money isn't a concern and you have to note that a lot of players don't even know what Ventrilo does, let only know what a voip server is. Ventrilo is a one-time easy download for everyone and can be maintained with minimal effort :)

adwin
03-15-2011, 05:26 AM
You might be right.
Well, I managed to get it working (had trouble compiling gtkmm). Couldn't test, since I was the only one on the server.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2cct17r.jpg

mugen
04-21-2011, 11:41 AM
hey guys is this sever still up? i cant conntact it any more

Physiologic
04-21-2011, 12:32 PM
I've had people PM me every now and then asking the same thing. I can throw some cash down and put it up for another month or two and see how it goes again. PL players are really shy :)

Mathuyama
04-21-2011, 12:37 PM
That sounds really great! I will test it. Thank you Physiologic like always!^^

MoarPewPew
04-21-2011, 12:51 PM
I went on it one time.

I usually use the built in mic on Mac but I got a triton gaming headset and I could not get any sound.

I'll try it agian if you renew your subscription. :)

Also, his vent ran on the speex codex so it is compatible with Mac OS

Simnar
04-21-2011, 01:00 PM
link link me wanna link

Simnar
04-21-2011, 01:02 PM
some one pm me the link plz

drewcapu
04-21-2011, 01:27 PM
The next time it's up, I'll be sure to try to get on so that I can accidentally sneeze into everybody's ears again!

mugen
04-21-2011, 02:30 PM
The next time it's up, I'll be sure to try to get on so that I can accidentally sneeze into everybody's ears again!

haha yeah if u have on sense sounds instead of ptt it catches embarrassing sounds i.e. burps, coughs, sneezes, farts, wife complaining about PL, rofl!

Physiologic
04-21-2011, 03:26 PM
Opening up a new server later today, prob 15-20 person room. Might be a cool place to hang when servers are down. Spread the word as this thread is the only way you can find info on it.

DawnInfinity
04-21-2011, 03:28 PM
Opening up a new server later today, prob 15-20 person room. Might be a cool place to hang when servers are down. Spread the word as this thread is the only way you can find info on it.

I may join.

Physiologic
04-21-2011, 04:33 PM
New server has been purchased!

Hostname or IP: delta.maxfrag.net
Port number: 3803

red
04-21-2011, 04:52 PM
cough, cough (xfire) cough cough!

MoarPewPew
04-21-2011, 05:24 PM
Im gonna try it out in second.. trying to set up my PTT key on my mac.. this very second.

Edit: got my mic working, no one is on though. :(