PDA

View Full Version : Moderation

Sunlapse
05-14-2010, 01:09 PM
Hey everyone, first post. Some of you may have seen me wandering around the swamps under the same name :)

Anyway, to get to the point, I think the lack of moderation is one of the most pressing issues IMO. Every other time I enter one of the towns there seems to be some fascinating conversation going on about sex or racism.

So my suggestion would be undercover player moderators who can use a kind of three strike system (click the offending name, check a box for 1 strike) where by the third strike they would be banned (temporarily or permanently I guess that's up to you guys). Obviously these moderators would have to be completely trustworthy.

And P.S. this isn't a suck up post..I'm not at all expecting to become a moderator. I'm just growing tired of feeling like I'm playing with a bunch of immature little kids

Ogediah
05-14-2010, 01:48 PM
First off, the dev team already does this (read the signs in the towne.) I'm guessing you want much more moderation though.

Since when did MS or Bungie, etc get shut down or lose customers due to smack talk?

This is a good idea for people that want moderation- BUT (and I may be the only one that feels this way) trash talk is half of the fun in playing. In saying that im not encouraging racism or sexual inuendos, I'm just saying freedom of speech. If you dont wanna hear the smack talk, you can leave the room, block the player etc.

Again, I'm not encouraging you to beat your wife or light up the neighborhood block with an AK-47. I'm saying I think this whole video game bullying is BS. There are plenty of gamers to play with and plenty of rooms. WORST CASE SCENARIO and you find someone offensive, you have the choice to block them and not see their chat. You can't do that in the real world.

EDIT:
I know justg and the rest of the developers are already on this problem, and I would rather see them take care rather than other players as mods with a possible agenda or misinterpretation of rules. "why give a priest the power punishment, when god can take care of it"

I can understand moderation of public places, or possibly offensive game names. What I dont want to see is people getting shut down for talking amongst friends (EX. screwing with eachother, or even stuff like "what up my nigga").
I just dont want "bigbrother" up my butt when I'm having conversations with friends etc.
There is a difference beween being a racist bigot (inspired by hate), and talk amongst friends (who you obviously like or wouldn't be friends with).

Royce
05-14-2010, 01:58 PM
Ogediah, I think you are getting into something somewhat separate. Smack talk is expected in many cases, but racist, profane, or sexually explicit language is not acceptable. Kids play this game, and you never know who might be one. But yeah, it's my understanding that there is already a degree of monitoring. Players can also take screenshots of such behavior and send them to the devs.

Justg
05-14-2010, 02:09 PM
We do moderate, pretty heavily. And we ban the heck out of people who act up (by device, usually permanently). So if you see someone in townes talking inappropriately, definitely take a screenshot, send it to support, and we will deal with it.

Cascade
05-14-2010, 02:45 PM
I usually never see anyone talking like that in Townes.

Rebel
05-14-2010, 02:53 PM
I have been seeing many games titles "Muslims Only and Whites not allowed" lately. I don't remember the names of the people that have been making these games, but whoever it is needs to stop. I may take it lightly, but for some people, it could be very serious. I don't want things to start getting heated.

SlipperyJim
05-14-2010, 03:01 PM
I have been seeing many games titles "Muslims Only and Whites not allowed" lately. I don't remember the names of the people that have been making these games, but whoever it is needs to stop. I may take it lightly, but for some people, it could be very serious. I don't want things to start getting heated.
Take a screenshot and send it to the Devs: support@spacetimestudios.com

I've already done so once, and I got a quick response. The Devs seem to be pretty serious about keeping PL clean of racism, religious zealotry, and other such nastiness.

nerdherd
05-14-2010, 03:01 PM
Since I've never seen anything in game either sexist or racist etc I'll assume one of two things:
1. I'm oblivious (a very likely possibility)
2. Moderation is already pretty good, so this kind of stuff doesn't last long.

It's probably a combination of both :)

Ogediah
05-14-2010, 03:03 PM
No I got what he was saying. Like I said I'm in no way defending racism etc, but at the same time I don't want to see over moderation. I was making a counter point.

I know justg and the rest of the developers are already on this problem, and I would rather see them take care rather than other players as mods with a possible agenda or misinterpretation of rules. "why give a priest the power punishment, when god can take care of it"

Royce
05-14-2010, 03:07 PM
I've seen a fair amount of ignorant behavior, but then again I spend a lot of time playing so more likely to run into it. It definitely seems to be worst at certain times of day. One guy was spamming town with "I ****ed everyone here's kids", and another guy was relentlessly calling an asian player terrible slurs in game. I just put them on the ignore list, but will take screenshots in the future.

Royce
05-14-2010, 03:09 PM
No I got what he was saying. Like I said I'm in no way defending racism etc, but at the same time I don't want to see over moderation. I was making a counter point.

I agree it is not something players should be directly involved in. Sorry if I misunderstood your previous post.

Ogediah
05-14-2010, 03:41 PM
I agree it is not something players should be directly involved in. Sorry if I misunderstood your previous post.

It was kind of open to interpretation, you just helped point out I needed to specify my point ;)

I'll edit my origianl post

Sunlapse
05-14-2010, 05:22 PM
Yeah I guess that's a pretty obvious solution actually..never thought to take screenshots.

laquint
07-22-2010, 04:09 PM
It's called old...