PDA

View Full Version : Add AoE/Combo to bears?

Ellyidol
02-02-2011, 09:30 PM
Bears are the only one without a self-made combo.

They're really fun to play. Still annoying to slash thin air at times, but I guess its part of the skill.

I'd just love to see a bear made damage combo though. Birds have cruel shot, mages have fireblast, bears don't have any.

Maybe remove restore and add a small AoE Spin or such to add a combo?

Maybe Beckon + AoE Spin? (Since stomp has freeze to work with). Though stomp can work too.

I want to play my bear again, but efficiency just makes it hard to do so.

BeefyMeat
02-03-2011, 10:14 AM
Problem is if they get that, they can solo a lot more stuff, making birds a lot less useful. Bears aren't about damage, they take a beating and hold hate. Making them an offensive force would unbalance the game again

StompArtist
02-03-2011, 10:15 AM
Could be a defensive combo?

Ellyidol
02-03-2011, 10:18 AM
That's the thing though, bears still can't hold on to hate THAT effectively. In my experience, I still see aggro going to the top DPS, even if I spam taunt or what not.

I always had the impression that archers were the deadliest single target killers, but here it seems that it goes Mage-archer-warrior.

I'd like it if they fix the slashes at least. Kinda funny how paladins get to use ranged Mage skills easy, though that's understood since a Mage technically just makes magic, but a bird firing an arrow from a sword? And bears can't even slash properly without some going into thin air despite being melee. Lol

StompArtist
02-03-2011, 10:22 AM
What kills the bear the most, I think, is those players that constantly run past the bears and take all aggro. Then you show up with your bear and the fight is almost over. Makes me feel like my bear is a tank powered by a pushbike. Perhaps a "rush" skill would be usefull in making the bear jump ahead?

BeefyMeat
02-03-2011, 10:23 AM
I agree they could use something to hold hate better.

Ellyidol
02-03-2011, 10:26 AM
That's true. Also the fact that the range is enough to kill the mobs with skills and what not, without even having to take damage. I guess that was the nice thing about shadow caves, bears were actually needed.

And I think I realise what I'm actually looking for. To make bears more soloable. Mages can, easy. Birds can too, not as easy as mage, but it can be even with rift. An int bear just takes too much damage still IMO, where an int mage can just heal away.

Lesrider
02-03-2011, 10:29 AM
Well, in most games, melee fighters do a lot of damage, but the catch is they have to get up close and personal while the mages and archers can shoot from afar.
Problem with bears is that they still don't do enough damage (IMO) to make it worth playing melee. If their skills are weak, their weapons need to be much stronger. Melee characters are supposed to rely on their brute strength, but bears really don't hit that hard compared to birds and mages.

Personally, until I can play bear and feel like I'm dealing some damage, I'm sticking to my Mage and bird. I don't like slashing the air.

Ellyidol
02-03-2011, 10:36 AM
Yup, that's true Les. In most games too, you can choose to go the pure tank or pure DPS kind of warrior, but the pure tanks there are literally tanks! Makes it worthwhile to actually play as one.

The way I see it, if the bears here are barely used for tanking anyway, why not boost it's damage to actually promote the class? You could go the other direction by toughening up the mobs, creating more need for a tank, and working on aggro control for the bear. Right now, seems like bears lack either.

BeefyMeat
02-03-2011, 10:38 AM
Les, it depends on the depth of classes when it comes to melee jobs. I played FFXI for a bit, and Paladins never hit that hard, monks and dark knights did that, but both were very weak defensively, so AOE spells beat them up. What STS could do is implement a more in depth hate system than just pure damage, such as the taunt being more valuable, give the bear some sort of short term damage increase ability, or add a slight heal that creates more aggro on the caster.

I agree there is something they can do to make bears more effective, but I don't think adding a solo combo for major damage is the way, especially seeing as Birds we spam the hell out of Cruel Blast whenever we can. If we could take hits coupled with the regen abilities, we wouldn't need anyone.

StompArtist
02-03-2011, 10:39 AM
Bears are painfully slow right now. It is frustrating. And when you do taunt (which does work I have been corrected on this I originally taught it did not always work) it does not last long enough. For example: Taunt the overlord and he comes to you slaps you on the chin once and turns around going for some merrily running bird. Taunt should at least lock in the the bear imo.

BeefyMeat
02-03-2011, 10:42 AM
Guarantee hit would be a good fix on Taunt. Like you said, swinging at air sucks, but that can be fixed without having too much backlash in the rest of the game.

Arterra
02-03-2011, 11:05 AM
remember the megafail ao2 cane thingy? what looked like a shadow staff, but for str? with its animation, i could swear it was a wide slash kind of weapon, where you back yourself in a corner and deal murder. i wonder why not...

Ellyidol
02-03-2011, 11:10 AM
I remember. I always thought it was a staff until I couldn't equip with Mage. Interesting idea though, instead of a new skill altogether, why not a Weap like keeper. Maybe instead of constant aoe damage, the weapon just procs it. Like a whirlwind of some sort. Lol

Arterra
02-03-2011, 11:12 AM
lol nice... every 3 strikes it does a 360 (no scope)

Lesrider
02-03-2011, 11:12 AM
remember the megafail ao2 cane thingy? what looked like a shadow staff, but for str? with its animation, i could swear it was a wide slash kind of weapon, where you back yourself in a corner and deal murder. i wonder why not...

You mean the hook staff?

BeardedBear
02-03-2011, 11:43 AM
I still wonder why the hook staff was in the game, it had terrible damage for a 2h. Then again, so was the Djinn blade until it was corrected. Perhaps the devs didn't intend it to be so sh*tty?

hawkei
02-03-2011, 11:52 AM
They should make a combo with hell screm and beckon. It shall be called hell grip muahahahahahaha!

Lesrider
02-03-2011, 11:57 AM
Also, I think in general, a bear should be able tO slash at morethan one enemy at a time. Like one slash (skill) should hit any/all enemies in the sword's swipe. But they all hit only one. It's just no fun.
In any games that I choose to play a melee char, it's just so much more fun. The hacking and slashing is fast and makes up for the lack of range/magic.

hawkei
02-03-2011, 12:03 PM
Also, I think in general, a bear should be able tO slash at morethan one enemy at a time. Like one slash (skill) should hit any/all enemies in the sword's swipe. But they all hit only one. It's just no fun.
In any games that I choose to play a melee char, it's just so much more fun. The hacking and slashing is fast and makes up for the lack of range/magic.
Like when u slash the warrior spins hitting all in the radius?

StompArtist
02-03-2011, 12:04 PM
At least a 180 degrees in front would be nice. Spinning... meh... too figure skating-ish.

Lesrider
02-03-2011, 12:05 PM
Like when u slash the warrior spins hitting all in the radius?

Well, I don't think all hits should be like that, but it would be a nice skill.
I mean that if two enemies are in front of you, standing right next to each other and you swipe at that area, you should be able to damage both if you have a big weapon.

hawkei
02-03-2011, 12:06 PM
Lol maybe the warrior could have numcucks

Fyrce
02-03-2011, 03:19 PM
OMG, I like Execute and I like my bear again, after playing it recently in shadows caves and doing some totems. It really helps the birds and mages to do crowd control. Bear baby only failed once or twice to hold aggro and birdie bit it.

However, I would LOVE if Execute gave a chance to hit all mobs in the bear's melee range with a weapon hit. That would be mega cool.

Beckon, Execute!