PDA

View Full Version : iPad "dead" spot.

Ellyidol
02-03-2011, 05:55 PM
I seem to have noticed my iPad having a "dead" area.

Take for example, when you drag apps around your home screen, whenever I pass through that certain area, it automatically drops or returns back to where I picked it up, as if I let my finger go.

Also in some apps, like dragging apps, when I come over that area the same thing happens. Its as if I let my finger go.

There's nothing visibly wrong like a crack or whatnot, what should I do?

In PL terms, the dead spot covers a bit of the lower left skills in the skill map. About 2 of them. I get to use them still, but for it to detect my touch takes awhile, especially dragging.

Should I bring to Apple? Do you guys know anything about this?

EDIT:

Its somewhat like this (this isnt me, just found video).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwYwKMlK-FY

Except that mine goes from that dead spot vertically up and down.

Major
02-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Hey I've had the same problem. Trying to slect the two bottom left spells as well. No idea Why this is (prob design fault), glad to hear im not the only one. But if it kept happening to me i jus turned the ipad upside down and works fine lol.

Ellyidol
02-03-2011, 06:08 PM
OH! Its good to hear its not just my iPad. At first I thought I must have broken it or such, but I've never dropped it or put into tight areas. Never smashed it either or such.

Turning upside down works I guess, but it just moves the dead area to the other side :P And my joystick hand usually covers the speakers if I do so, and the USB port for charging is more favorable on the right side :P

I posted in the Apple support forum too, I just wanna make sure what this is before I embarrass myself and waste my time going to the Apple store.

Major
02-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Ya i hear ya....like im a big fan of apple and the ipad but this little problem sure makes me angry. Let me know what apple tells ya?

Ellyidol
02-03-2011, 06:16 PM
Definitely will, I'll post here. Thanks for letting me know too!

Edit: Here's the link to my post if ever your interested :

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2742923&tstart=0

Zeus
02-03-2011, 06:43 PM
Definitely will, I'll post here. Thanks for letting me know too!

Edit: Here's the link to my post if ever your interested :

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2742923&tstart=0

Can you do me a favor? Can you use a drawing app? and sketch your entire pad with a grid of lines? Screenshot the results on here. I will let you know what's wrong after that, I may be able to fix it.

Ellyidol
02-03-2011, 06:46 PM
Can you do me a favor? Can you use a drawing app? and sketch your entire pad with a grid of lines? Screenshot the results on here. I will let you know what's wrong after that, I may be able to fix it.

You mean run through the dead spot and continue afterwards?

Or just show you the dead spot by pointing it out?

Zeus
02-03-2011, 06:47 PM
You mean run through the dead spot and continue afterwards?

Or just show you the dead spot by pointing it out?

Yes but do an entire grid (like graph paper), I want to see if there are any other places your touchscreen is weak in.

TwinkTastical
02-03-2011, 06:49 PM
Mine has zero dead spots... maybe your just a noob?

Ellyidol
02-03-2011, 06:51 PM
Mine has zero dead spots... maybe your just a noob?

No, my iPad is noob :P

Yes but do an entire grid (like graph paper), I want to see if there are any other places your touchscreen is weak in.

Will try it. I have a notebook app, but it doesn't go full screen.

Zeus
02-03-2011, 06:52 PM
No, my iPad is noob :P

Will try it. I have a notebook app, but it doesn't go full screen.

It should suffice.

hawkei
02-03-2011, 06:53 PM
Same thing happens to me. have u tried restarting your iPad?

Ellyidol
02-03-2011, 07:13 PM
I just did it range, app called "Noterize". (Its what I currently use for Uni notes).

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo96/bryantioliu/IMG_0015.png

I made the lines from left to right. The lines which end up short is where it cuts, or where the dead area is. As you can see it goes vertically up and down, some are able to pass through for some reason. Let me know if you need anything else range, thanks very much :)

Zeus
02-03-2011, 07:15 PM
I just did it range, app called "Noterize". (Its what I currently use for Uni notes).

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo96/bryantioliu/IMG_0015.png

I made the lines from left to right. The lines which end up short is where it cuts, or where the dead area is. As you can see it goes vertically up and down, some are able to pass through for some reason. Let me know if you need anything else range, thanks very much :)

Ok now, try and restarting it and repeating the same step. If that doesn't fix it. Then your capacitive senors in your ipad are screwed up, which you could fix but it would be better to just swap it out for a new one. BUT if you can wait till april 1st for the release (then maybe another 2 weeks to clear out old stock), swap it out then and you can get the ipad 2 for free.

Ellyidol
02-03-2011, 07:18 PM
Ok now, try and restarting it and repeating the same step. If that doesn't fix it. Then your capacitive senors in your ipad are screwed up, which you could fix but it would be better to just swap it out for a new one. BUT if you can wait till april 1st for the release (then maybe another 2 weeks to clear out old stock), swap it out then and you can get the ipad 2 for free.

Alright, I'll try restarting first. Do you need to know how thick the dead area goes for?

And, if I do swap, can I swap it with an iPad 2 after release? Doesn't mine just qualify for an iPad 1?

Zeus
02-03-2011, 07:20 PM
Alright, I'll try restarting first. Do you need to know how thick the dead area goes for?

And, if I do swap, can I swap it with an iPad 2 after release? Doesn't mine just qualify for an iPad 1?

qualifies for ipad 2 if ipad 1 is out of stock, which it will be a few weeks after the new one is released. I don't need to know how thick the dead area is btw.

Ellyidol
02-03-2011, 07:24 PM
I just restarted, same thing happens.

I noticed though, its able to go through if I move my finger fast enough. If I go slow, it gets stuck on the spot. Doesn't matter though, since I'm also after more of the one touch detection.

So I'll definitely bring this to Apple then. I don't think I can wait for iPad 2 :)

Thanks very much range! Had no idea you were really familiar with these stuff.

Zeus
02-03-2011, 07:26 PM
I just restarted, same thing happens.

I noticed though, its able to go through if I move my finger fast enough. If I go slow, it gets stuck on the spot. Doesn't matter though, since I'm also after more of the one touch detection.

So I'll definitely bring this to Apple then. I don't think I can wait for iPad 2 :)

Thanks very much range! Had no idea you were really familiar with these stuff.

Allright sounds good, I didn't do much btw :). I was just confirming that it was a hardware problem and not software.

Ellyidol
02-03-2011, 07:28 PM
Allright sounds good, I didn't do much btw :). I was just confirming that it was a hardware problem and not software.

Better than what anyone else, even from Apple support forum, suggested :P

Will they most likely replace my iPad or just repair it?

Major
02-03-2011, 07:33 PM
Well I doubt they will fix it..prob get a new one :). I'm havin the same issue so if apple does do it for free...doubt it....then plz let me know.

Ellyidol
02-03-2011, 07:36 PM
Well I doubt they will fix it..prob get a new one :). I'm havin the same issue so if apple does do it for free...doubt it....then plz let me know.

A support guy in their forum seems to say they will either replace or repair. :)

So I'm pretty sure it will at least solve the issue.

Major
02-03-2011, 07:39 PM
Hey and little off topic but when is iPad 2 comin out?

Zeus
02-03-2011, 08:22 PM
Hey and little off topic but when is iPad 2 comin out?

April 1st for the wifi version and april 31st for the 3g version most probably.