PDA

View Full Version : Pricing

Xariah
04-10-2010, 07:32 AM
Would you guys ever consider lowering the price to $0.99 per campaign? Or grouping the $1.99 packs to include 10 levels instead of 5? Or making every third campaign free? Throw us a bone here, please! ;)

I know there are some that are happy to throw down whatever you ask, but it is going to get pricey as time goes on. I don't know that I'm willing to pay $40+ down the road for an iPhone game, especially when the levels can be sped through so quickly. The only reason I point this out is because I know I'm not the only one who feels this way by far. There isn't a person over age 8 in my family that doesn't have an iTouch or iPhone and we are really excited at the prospect of playing this game together and with others, but none of us are willing to pay $1.99 per 5 levels.

You have made a fantastic game here and I just believe your player base would really expand with a pricing plan that's a bit easier to swallow. I, for one, would gladly pay $0.99 per campaign. At this point, I just look at the plethora of free to play PC MMORPG's out there that offer more variation and playtime and I don't have to pay a dime. It's also in the back of my head that I can buy a single player RPG for the iPhone for $4.99 and get over 100 levels and countless hours of gameplay.

Please just consider it! There is obviously a lot of love put into this game and it deserves to grow exponentially. Adjust your prices and give it wings! I predict you'll actually increase revenue by going this route. I run a small business, and while no expert, I have benefited from this way of thinking. You will reach far more people with lower prices and in turn, make a lot more money. Sorry for long post! I am just really enjoying this game and I want to see it grow, not only for you but for me! The more people that play, the more money you will make and the more content we will have! :)

Reaper
04-10-2010, 08:04 AM
Yeah, I have bought all the DLC out there and it has cost me £15 which is about $25 I think...
A free campaign would be nice every now and then guys ;)

Justg
04-10-2010, 09:00 AM
Thanks for your feedback... we are always interested in what people think about pricing. Just going free-to-play was a big decision for us, and (as you can imagine) this game was not inexpensive to develop or to operate so we need to be able to make revenue to keep it going. That being said, we are always willing to consider various pricing models and adjustments. Ultimately we want you to feel like you are getting great value out of your investments.

Kroan
04-10-2010, 09:52 AM
I totally agree with OP. For the same money i could buy two complete games on the AppStore. Most of them give me more playtime than 6 levels in this game :(

setec
04-10-2010, 09:55 AM
I'll agree that the $1.99 per 5 lvls can add up quickly. This makes me stay away from buying other not really needed extras like gold and emotes.

So far I have purchased a 3rd char for 99 cents slot and I played each class up to level 13. I just bought the $1.99 map pack today for the 10-15 levels. I plan to level each char to 18 before buying the next one. With real world jobs and other things taking up my time, this shield keep me going to a few more days if not a week. Then I plan to get the next one in line and do the same.

If I had only one char and spent $1.99 per map pack for just one char, I would feel it a bit pricey. However, playing all 3 classes not only expands the fun and your knowledge of the game but it helps spread out those payments for new map packs.

Also, true, you can buy a $4.99 rpg on the app store with tons of levels but I don't think the gameplay compares to PL. This is like having WoW for your iPhone/iPad/iPod.

Although, down the road, it would be nice if there was a free map pack. But I do understand that the company has to make back their financial investment in the game somehow.

Kodax
04-10-2010, 01:13 PM
Actually I feel that the pricing scheme is about right. While I might have set it up differently, it is quite fair. Most of the games on the app store can settle for a fairly cheap price point because once the game is made, the cost for upkeep is nominal (there may be some bug fixes and the such but that is about it).

With this game, as with other mmo's there is a continual cost to upkeep. Servers are not free and to keep this game free from lag upgrades to servers probably need to be made. Also, as already seen, the developers are continuously tweeking the game, adding features, scaling mob health... If this game does end up having an endgame (which I really hope it does) then at some point people will be replaying the same content over and over again and despite the fact that the user is not paying a penny more Spacetime will still have to pay for server maintenance, and normal game maintenance.

Skyfire
04-10-2010, 01:29 PM
Amen! I agreed about the prices is fair because they have to pay the server running and almost no lag and to make players more happy. Maybe someday, there will be 2nd server for players already paid only if first server (free-to-play) start lag in near future, who knows.

I am willing to pay one-time $50 dollars for unlimited the level with any dungeons (with restrict level) because I love to combine all three (stats) in same time.

Xariah
04-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Actually I feel that the pricing scheme is about right. While I might have set it up differently, it is quite fair. Most of the games on the app store can settle for a fairly cheap price point because once the game is made, the cost for upkeep is nominal (there may be some bug fixes and the such but that is about it).

I totally agree with you. I think you guys have made a great decision in NOT having a monthly fee because that is very attractive to a potential player. That said, having come from over a decade of MMO gaming, both free and paid, I know that players love a game where they can play for free but have the option to pay for exclusive content. The most successful venues seem to be the ones that offer unique equipment to make your character stand out in the crowd. I know people who have paid hundreds of dollars for these in game items and I think it would be a great addition to PL. Try cycling out new items every month or so, making the current items limited and that much more desirable so you have multiple purchases happening over time, rather than each player putting down the money a single time. Even something like adding companion pets, which don't aid in battle but add to the RP experience, would be hugely popular. Make those paid with limited editions as well.

Another player favorite is obviously housing. Is that possible? Maybe add a portal in town where players can access their own private home to which they can invite friends. Charge a few dollars for the home and offer a variety of furnishings for purchase as well. Your paid campaigns don't have to be your bread and butter. There's so much more opportunity. I really want to see this game take off and literally be the WoW of portable gaming. It just needs to open up to a broader audience to make that happen.

nightsky
04-10-2010, 04:27 PM
for 5 levels 99 cents is a great price. and like I said on my other post I am sure people out there would pay 3-5 bucks for 1-2 raid maps with a epic boss for high levels that you can earn epic loot.

I just bought the first map pack and played through it with my archer friend it was a little on the easy side. so i do feel like 2 dollars is a little over priced. i do enjoy the 6th level the grind map.

Abstractineum
04-10-2010, 04:44 PM
First, I want to say that I think this paying model is much better than a monthly cost - you can play at your own pace.
But I still agree that 1.99 per five levels will add up quickly as more levels become available. One solution is to lower the price of the low-tier levels as higher is released. For example the first (and maybe second) DLC could cost .99 when the 25-30 and 30-35 DLCs is released. Those who already have bought the discounted DLCs could get the opportunity to buy higher-tier DLCs at the same discount (if that is even possible).

setec
04-10-2010, 09:10 PM
But it is nice that you get to play until level 13 with 2 character slots before you spend any money. This should give a person an idea of whether they will like the game or not.

Grunther
04-10-2010, 09:17 PM
The only thing a bit overpriced is the respec. Especially at this early point when experiments are needed.

setec
04-10-2010, 09:21 PM
The only thing a bit overpriced is the respec. Especially at this early point when experiments are needed.

Yes, I could see down the road them resetting everyone's talent points on all chars if the formulas are adjusted a great deal.

Snafoo
04-10-2010, 09:27 PM
yea after buying the Dark Forest DLC, I felt a little ripped off, only because 2 extra levels for my character and 5 (or was it 6) dungeon levels went very fast. Beat it within a hour, It was not challenging, 2 manned it with another Archer. Also the mobs were in bulk the same, and it was in the same forest tile set.

For the same price there are plenty of great (albeit offline) RPGs on the appstore. Whilst I understand this is a MMORPG, at the moment it doesn't really feel like a MMORPG, the people I play with might as well just be AI, there is little to no interaction.

I think maybe dropping the cost of DLCs by a dollar (I pay 2.49 AUD). If you do decide to stick with the same pricing, then either provide more character development (standard 4-5 levels would be nice) , more dungeon levels (10 dungeons), amp up the difficulty, I don't know what is possible, but maybe add more new monsters, and new tiles sets.

I think for 2.49 AUD, I should be getting at least 6-7 hours of good honest gameplay

I might be waiting a bit till I purchase my next DLC.

Jsaya
04-10-2010, 10:29 PM
Well cant lower the price to the first 3 campaigns now or your current customers feel ripped. Probably should make some of the coming campaigns free since we will never use Dark Forest, Castle, ever again. The 1.99 became just a level cap increaser alone.

Now paying for big campaigns at a rate of $1.99 at say level 50 level cap is ok. We will use that content over and over again since 50 is the hard cap I believe?

ArtofLife
04-10-2010, 10:57 PM
I feel that 1.99 for 4-5 levels is really expensive.

This is a good game but guys, think about it,

if you were to play a MMO online through the PC, say it cost 15$ a month. You can play the game as long as you like through this 1 month with no limitations.

This is really a good game but 1.99 per 4-5 levels is way too short. There isn't challenges at all.

If this game max level is 100, how much are you gonna spend by then? :confused:

the1azn8
04-11-2010, 12:39 AM
I totally agree with you. I think you guys have made a great decision in NOT having a monthly fee because that is very attractive to a potential player. That said, having come from over a decade of MMO gaming, both free and paid, I know that players love a game where they can play for free but have the option to pay for exclusive content. The most successful venues seem to be the ones that offer unique equipment to make your character stand out in the crowd. I know people who have paid hundreds of dollars for these in game items and I think it would be a great addition to PL. Try cycling out new items every month or so, making the current items limited and that much more desirable so you have multiple purchases happening over time, rather than each player putting down the money a single time. Even something like adding companion pets, which don't aid in battle but add to the RP experience, would be hugely popular. Make those paid with limited editions as well.

Another player favorite is obviously housing. Is that possible? Maybe add a portal in town where players can access their own private home to which they can invite friends. Charge a few dollars for the home and offer a variety of furnishings for purchase as well. Your paid campaigns don't have to be your bread and butter. There's so much more opportunity. I really want to see this game take off and literally be the WoW of portable gaming. It just needs to open up to a broader audience to make that happen.

I agree with the adding of maybe cosmetic-only items. People WILL pay for those. Just look at games like... Maplestory. It costs money to by in-game cash, which is then used to buy items like pets and clothing that goes over your current armor. Or maybe what you could do is just make another class, with another skill tree and such. I'd consider paying for that.

_ck
04-11-2010, 10:34 AM
While I don't think $1.99 is outrageous by any means, I do think once more and more packs are released that there's a danger that it adds up to quite a lot, and it might put off people if the packs aren't lasting long enough. Soon there'll be five dungeon packs out, which is nearly $10 and the game has only just come out a few weeks ago. Imagine if you only start playing it in two-three months and there could be $20-30+ worth of dungeon packs.. That might be a bit dissuasive.

As for how to do it better.. Perhaps the 5-level packs could be $0.99, and then there would be 10-level packs for $1.99.

Another solution could also be something I just wrote in the "revisions?" thread a little while ago, which would be to offer the paying players some freebie dungeon packs every now and then, just to give back to those most loyal.

There could be mega-packs at discounted rates too, perhaps. Like buy 5 packs and pay maybe $7 rather than the $10 for buying them separately. Or maybe have the mega-pack still cost $10 but you throw in some other added bonuses (extra character slot, maybe gold, maybe some weapons, extra levels).

You should definitely make money off of such a great game, but maybe some creative solutions and added incentives like these will be needed in the long run.

Jsaya
04-11-2010, 12:24 PM
Yes everyone wants you to make money so we see continued investment into the game. Dont think anyone is asking for free everything in this case. Just hard to compare if you pay for $5.97 in content from an itunes game(which is a bit on the higher side these days). In all honesty I used the first two packst for about 2 hours each and moved on to the last pack. The whole content of 1-25 for $6 was just about finished in a day. On a side note about items, there should be a bit more random items dropped. There needs to be a higher drop rate with a wider variety of items. To give it a bit mroe of a replayability factor.

If a few content packs are introduced after 25 for free it is not like it is a hand out at that point of spending $6. What I would do is focus on the end game dungeons for $1.99 that we will play over and over most likely. As it is I will never play $4 worth of the content I purchased ever again.

Basically increase replayability with a higher drop rate and wider variety of items, and decrease costs($) of post lvl 25 areas. (because you dont want to upset those who already purchased it at least until 3-4 months down the line)

Kodax
04-11-2010, 12:33 PM
In regards to respecs. There definitely needs to be an option to purchase this with gold. Currently with both my toons I have a ton of gold and almost nothing to spend it on except for the occasional potion. Perhaps instead of charging for respecs a person could buy a second spec.

Jolly
04-12-2010, 04:34 AM
Hi,
in my opinion the game is realy well done, so the price is ok.
I hope in new expansions.
TY,
J

ArtofLife
04-12-2010, 10:32 AM
I dont know bout u guys, but 2$ per 5 levels is way too weird and 5 levels is easy to reach. No challenge at all

Lan
04-12-2010, 01:40 PM
$1 per 5 levels, or $2 for 10 levels is a much more reasonable asking price. Even with those, however, you should still up the difficulty and length all across the board.

I would much rather see cheaper base content to draw in a bigger audience and provide more premium items for those willing to pay.

Rylin
04-12-2010, 01:43 PM
I think the overall length of each dungeon set should be longer.

instead of 5-6 levels per dungeon set, make it around 8-10 levels.

nightsky
04-12-2010, 01:49 PM
you also have to remember that very soon this game will be competing with the completely free mmo imo world of magic. (you can buy cool stuff to make you stand out. emotes and clothing.) but all content for the game is free.

Rylin
04-12-2010, 01:53 PM
The devs are on the right track though by listening to feedback and quickly implementing them as fast as they can. I think with Pocket Legends and the developers behind them, we can make it a truly amazing game if we continue to offer up really good feedback.

Martin JF
04-12-2010, 01:56 PM
If you dont want to pay more, just stop buying new dungeons. Its that easy.

IcyChaos
04-12-2010, 02:18 PM
I won't argue that 1.99 for levels is too expensive. I just don't like the 1.99 charge for the respec. Most of the time your first round through this experimental character development will mess up your stats and skills just trying things out. Experimenting shouldn't cost the same as a level pack.

RCRX
04-12-2010, 03:03 PM
Thanks for your feedback... we are always interested in what people think about pricing. Just going free-to-play was a big decision for us, and (as you can imagine) this game was not inexpensive to develop or to operate so we need to be able to make revenue to keep it going. That being said, we are always willing to consider various pricing models and adjustments. Ultimately we want you to feel like you are getting great value out of your investments.

Well if this game is like any of the hundred other text based mmo's, than people are going to throw money at it blindly. You can guarantee there's always thousands kids with their parents credit cards, ready to buy everything. You're almost guaranteed a profit with a game like this. The amount of content you include in each purchase is near nothing. Repetitive dungeons and a raise in the level cap. Maybe when the game becomes more in depth with new classes, more weapons, more visual appearances. But now, it just isn't worth it.

Martin JF
04-12-2010, 03:59 PM
The game is worth it, if you really like this kind of game. But, you should add a new free campain that unlocks when you reach lvl 35 (or whatever the new pack will let you lvl to) so people that have payed to Get so far finally Get something free.

Personally, I love the game. But did someone Else notice that the items in the store require lvl's higher then the current cap? Lol.

lostboy
04-12-2010, 04:06 PM
So far I've spent 6$ in respeccing to experiment, 6$ on new levels, and hell I even bought the emote packs cause I like shiny things. But I've gotten overall maybe 3 or 4 hours of gameplay out of it.

I think it is a great game and I am happy with the free-to-play DLC concept but I have to agree that the pricing is a bit much. If the payable content were 10 levels, or maybe something more than the same map with different hallways 5 times through, I'd feel much better about it. I really do want to support the devs and again I don't mind paying for content but I'd rather pay $15 a month for unlimited playability rather than 2$ an hour.