PDA

View Full Version : Quest Bonuses

Yahway
02-03-2011, 11:45 PM
I spoke to asomers the other day when he was giving out antennaes and I suggested to him a bonus of some sort to people that have completed all the quests. He told me that would be difficult because they are always adding quests. I agree but also think there are other ways to implement some sort of reward for questing.

As the game stands right now, there is no incentive to complete any of the quests except for the Cyber quests (as much of a pain in the butt they are, I love the idea behind them), so you constantly see 50s running around with little to no quests completed. I know with my second and third 50 I completed 0 quests until I turned 50, simply because there is no point.

My first suggestion for quests would be to add some experience. It doesnt have to be much, maybe 1 xp for the ones that ask you to run and talk to someone, to as much as 500 (a good chunk of a level) for snowball and pelts quest. On an average I would like to see the quests yield about 15 xp. I don't think that is asking very much. If you are 50 (or 56 soon) it would be nice to squeeze a little more gold out of them instead.

I started questing on my bird the other day and have 112 quests done. I have a few AO3 quests left and the snowball and pelts left. I have only gotten roughly 120k gold from 112 quests. That includes selling rares on AH for market value, selling trash, quest rewards, and mob coins. This has taken me hours to do and I can make wayyyy more money farming, which leads me back to there be little to no incentive to complete quests.

So my main request is to add a bonus of some sort for every area of quests complete.

For example: Person X has completed all quests in 3 areas (forest haven, dark forest, and fathom crypt ((doesn't really matter which ones))) Therefor X is granted three bonuses permanently on his toon. Lets say 1% increase on some stat for each area complete. So person X would have 3% increase. A person that has all quests done (as of now 119, 7 areas) would have a 7% increase.

Bears would get an increase in armor. 1% per completed zone. 7% of 150 armor is only like 10 more armor points. Not much, but just a little something for people that want to make their chars the best they can.

Birds can get on increase in Damage for obvious reasons. 7% of 250 is like 20 points. Almost negligible.

Elfs would get a 1% increase on cast time or decrease on cooldown or something. Most elfs dont have mana problems, and dont need more damage or higher heals. But getting off heals faster or quicker cooldowns would be very beneficial. Again, a max of 7% is not much at all. Just a little bit of incentive to complete quests.

Well, thats my recommendation. I think it would be fun. Please comment whether you like it or not.

Also, I understand hybreds or str elfs, dex bears ect would want to have bonuses to different things so maybe it could be an option and be part of a respec.

Fyrce
02-04-2011, 12:14 AM
How about if you complete all quests in an area, the shops in that town give you a 5% discount on items? Maybe? Or there's a shopkeeper that talks only to players that have completed quests.

Yahway
02-04-2011, 12:15 AM
Yea, but who buys stuff from people in town?

Duke
02-04-2011, 12:01 PM
I'm running a couple of "test characters" through the game, with the goal of only moving from area to area after they finish all quests.

Quest rewards are generally not worth it. The few good items that you can get as quest rewards generally drop too late to be all that useful, if you're doing all of the quests in the most logical sequence (e.g., the Stormstrike Wand is a level 17 item, but you will likely be level 20-21 doing Wyldwood anyway), and they pale compared to possible drops (such as the bad mojo items) in the same areas. Gold rewards are often negligible compared to what you gain by just going through the zones anyway.

On the other hand, completing the quests provides an incentive to play through an entire campaign in a reasonable order instead of just grinding on the levels most likely to give the best drops.

So, if I had to suggest changes, what I'd recommend is that there is a particular type/class of item where the best-in-category in that level range is a quest reward for completing the main-line quest in that area. Taking Balefort/Wyldwood for example, there aren't many good INT armor or helm drops (at least, that I've seen), so perhaps the King of Hearts quest reward for INT ought to a pink helm or armor rather than the staff, with the Goblin King quest providing the other type. The quest reward should be worth working for, but also make sure that drops matter as well, so the rewards and loot tables should complement each other properly.

On a somewhat unrelated note, there are a few places where having only 3 quests slots is annoying because if you're doing the quests relatively efficiently, there are places where you have to wait to start a quest because you already have 3 active -- someone should look into smoothing them out a bit so 3 quests slots should be enough to handle the quests in the order they were meant to be done, or else raise the cap to 4.

wolfendragon
02-04-2011, 12:09 PM
I definitely agree about quest max even early on it can be annoying if you are going through areas that give quests and don't want to go back in town and have to restart a area just to free up quest slots in town

wolfendragon
02-04-2011, 12:13 PM
Yea, but who buys stuff from people in town?

I buy stuff in town if able to. On higher lvs I can't find a store that can help me at least start good in area because its just drops for them or quests. Stores can have good items to use.

Lesrider
02-04-2011, 12:27 PM
My idea was the ultimate quest -- search it ;)

Conradin
02-04-2011, 12:38 PM
I don't like this idea- it kills twinking.