PDA

View Full Version : Ping Theory (and it seems to be working).

Ellyidol
02-04-2011, 01:54 AM
I've had enough with my ping lately, and I've been trying all sorts of stuff to try and remedy it.

First case:

I wanted to try and see which ran better, my Wifi or 3G (technically wifi does, but 3G wasn't as bad before). So I unplugged my Wifi router, and I used 3G only.

My ping was fine, 300-500 with occasional small spike up to 1k only. Much better vs the 20k I used to get. It was when I switched on my router again, it spiked up to 20k.

Second case:

It then got me thinking, maybe the wifi and 3G signals conflict each other or something? So I tried the same thing with the wifi. Switched wifi on, switched off 3G for my iPad (No cellular data), and viola, my ping was stable again. It was when I switched on my 3G from my ipad again that it began to spike.

So my theoretical solution is, that the 3G and Wifi signals somehow mess each other up. I know, its weird, I've never heard of this nor experienced this. A few months ago I used to have both running (wifi router and iPad 3G), and I still had stable ping.

So, my router is messed up maybe? What do you think?

Edit: It might just sound crazy, I know, but what do I have to lose? Lol. I really want to play PL again and especially sort it out before 1.7 comes.