PDA

View Full Version : Language filter in PL

pizzaman
10-28-2014, 05:59 PM
One of the words the language filter responds to is "kunt". It doesn't just get ****'d, but players actually get temporarily muted for it.

I can see how this is similar to an offensive word in English, but in Dutch it just means can. As in "you can". Therefor it's very very hard to avoid. I run into Dutch people quite a lot and i keep getting muted. It's not like i'm the only Dutch player still active in PL. Could the devs please consider just ****'ing the word "kunt" instead of muting players who use it? I know i should try to avoid using it, but it's such a common word that it keeps slipping through.

pizzaman
10-28-2014, 06:30 PM
It's very frustrating to Dutch people and it would probably be very easy for them to change, so why not? I'm not asking to remove the word from the filter, just change from a temporary mute to ***'ing it. It probably also applies to the other STS games.

CrimsonTider
10-28-2014, 07:14 PM
It's very frustrating to Dutch people and it would probably be very easy for them to change, so why not? I'm not asking to remove the word from the filter, just change from a temporary mute to ***'ing it. It probably also applies to the other STS games.

I can see your frustration, however, you have to understand that by allowing this word to slip through the filter, it would allow for those who thrive on using the derogatory meaning of the word (which could be argued outnumber those who use it for Dutch translation) to begin spamming the word in all aspects of the game.

I have also known quite a few Dutch players in my 4 years of being a part of the PL community and have never known this to be an issue. Most Europeans speak better "English" than Americans do and besides, "can" is easier to spell. :)

Motivating
10-29-2014, 03:29 AM
Do you think the devs really care? Lmao

Well they gave us a halloween update.

pizzaman
10-29-2014, 04:49 AM
I can see your frustration, however, you have to understand that by allowing this word to slip through the filter, it would allow for those who thrive on using the derogatory meaning of the word (which could be argued outnumber those who use it for Dutch translation) to begin spamming the word in all aspects of the game.

I have also known quite a few Dutch players in my 4 years of being a part of the PL community and have never known this to be an issue. Most Europeans speak better "English" than Americans do and besides, "can" is easier to spell. :)

I'm not asking to disable the filter and let it slip through. Just change it from auto-mute a player to hiding it with **** so a dutch conversation doesn't get interrupted all the time.

It's only an issue when speaking Dutch, so it wouldn't come up when you're talking with Dutch people, in which case they'll be speaking english, and in which case they wouldn't use the word kunt.

dudetus
10-29-2014, 07:17 AM
This thread is about fixing a rly minor inconvenience for a rly small majority which would allow high amount of flamers to flame more fluently. Just cough it up or talk English.

pizzaman
10-29-2014, 07:51 AM
I'm presuming you mean a major inconvenience for a minority?

While it's perhaps not polite to speak other languages in the middle of a town, it's odd to ask people to speak English even in runs with only people from another country or in pm's. I doubt you'd speak French with an English person in private if you were in France if English is your mother tongue.

I do understand that flamers are a big concern, but again, i'm not asking to remove the word from the filter, just change it from auto-muting to filtering the word, which would still take the sting out of that, wouldn't it?

Itoopeo
10-29-2014, 07:55 AM
Yes this muting system is very annoying for people who talk several languages with many people. Just add a filter or remove these words like game removes åäö letters in nordic languages
päivää -> piv hötkyillä -> htkyill

I remember getting banned for a week by mistyping "green shirt" in SL. (didnt hit "r")

Abdulsaed
10-29-2014, 11:54 AM
Yes this muting system is very annoying for people who talk several languages with many people. Just add a filter or remove these words like game removes åäö letters in nordic languages
päivää -> piv hötkyillä -> htkyill

I remember getting banned for a week by mistyping "green shirt" in SL. (didnt hit "r")
That made me burst out laughing because same thing happen to me when I said : no I don't sell my green shirt , same thing happen missed the R

Samhayne
10-29-2014, 12:23 PM
Hey guys,

I'll review the filter with our Customer Support Team and see if there are refinements that make sense. No guarantees of changes, but I can say that we hear you and will give it another look.

Best regards,
Samhayne

pizzaman
10-29-2014, 12:29 PM
Awesome that you're willing to give it a look. Thanks! Just knowing that alone already makes it less frustrating to be muted for using a common dutch word :-)

Laar
10-29-2014, 12:31 PM
I'm presuming you mean a major inconvenience for a minority?

While it's perhaps not polite to speak other languages in the middle of a town, it's odd to ask people to speak English even in runs with only people from another country or in pm's. I doubt you'd speak French with an English person in private if you were in France if Egnlish is your mother tongue.

I do understand that flamers are a big concern, but again, i'm not asking to remove the word from the filter, just change it from auto-muting to filtering the word, which would still take the sting out of that, wouldn't it?
The thing is, even if it shows up as "****", it still creates a negative experience for the player (presumably if the player is English).

If the game did not have a system that banned abusers from chatting and only had a language filter, the asterisks still imply the same meaning of verbal harassment. Even if there is a language filter, you shouldn't abuse the chat rules. Yes, there is a mute button, but if a player has to mute another player, the abusing player has already created a negative experience for him.

I understand that you speak Dutch, and you just want the word filtered, but you have to understand that we speak English in this game. Therefore, we have to have filters, and yes, temporary bans from chatting. Otherwise, we would have all the trash talking and asterisks in the chat.

pizzaman
10-29-2014, 04:36 PM
The thing is, even if it shows up as "****", it still creates a negative experience for the player (presumably if the player is English).

If the game did not have a system that banned abusers from chatting and only had a language filter, the asterisks still imply the same meaning of verbal harassment. Even if there is a language filter, you shouldn't abuse the chat rules. Yes, there is a mute button, but if a player has to mute another player, the abusing player has already created a negative experience for him.

I understand that you speak Dutch, and you just want the word filtered, but you have to understand that we speak English in this game. Therefore, we have to have filters, and yes, temporary bans from chatting. Otherwise, we would have all the trash talking and asterisks in the chat.

I think that blocking the words reduces the negative experience significantly. But i do also think that Itoopeo has a very clever idea: in stead of ***'s, don't show the word at all. That way there's really no negative experience left. The offending player wouldn't really be punished other than that, but i think it's frustrating enough when the word just disappears. Still, that would take a little more programming, and while STS games probably share a language filter, i wouldn't as STS to do that if it requires significant programming per game.

iamthesurvivor
10-29-2014, 07:46 PM
Hey guys,

I'll review the filter with our Customer Support Team and see if there are refinements that make sense. No guarantees of changes, but I can say that we hear you and will give it another look.

Best regards,
Samhayne

lol

Electrophiles
10-29-2014, 08:05 PM
Hey guys,

Best regards,
Samhayne

and then nothing happens except the original poster stops posting on this thread and sts no longer has a problem on their hands

Faq
10-29-2014, 08:56 PM
Hey guys,
we hear you
Samhayne
mhm

iamthesurvivor
10-30-2014, 06:40 AM
Hey guys,
No guarantees of changes, but just take it as a no and be on your way
Best regards,
Samhayne

Shortened version

Ruby!!!
10-30-2014, 06:55 AM
Uhm isn't that *** something you can switch on an off as you like?

Itoopeo
10-30-2014, 11:14 AM
Just remove the support for those words.
Or make them show up as spacebars or like in Clash of clans, Hearts

Fractite
10-31-2014, 04:19 AM
I guess it's a major inconvenience for you guys, but STS are based in America, so they'll have thought of words that would have been offensive to them and not really consider what it would be like in other languages.

Just consider the majority here and how offensive the word can be in English, but I think they'll find a way to get around it.